Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That's not a Thunderbolt dock.

I think this is the first time I've seen a USB Display device that is not DisplayLink.
https://www.siliconmotion.com/product/Graphics-Display-SoCs.html
https://www.siliconmotion.com/downloads/index.html
I wonder how they compare?

The product page says one HDMI port can do 4K60 and the other can do 4K30. It doesn't say which one is DisplayPort and which one is SiliconMotion. I suppose it doesn't matter - they're both crippled compared to Thunderbolt. 4K60 from DisplayPort would only work for HBR3 displays since this adapter probably doesn't have an MST Hub to convert HBR3 x2 to HBR2 x4. 4K60 from DisplayLink or SiliconMotion requires compression done by the CPU.

ataq

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Hi guys,

you can‘t imagine how much I miss the the one less thunderbolt/usbc port on my m1 max macbook.
At home I have Caldigit TS3 Plus Dock.

What I‘m searching for is a usb hub that offers only usb a and c connections, so no need for hdmi, sd and ethernet port as I already have a mobile hub for that.
I‘m travelling a lot and need plenty of usb a and c connections. What can you recommend?

PabloGS

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Europe
Hi guys,

you can‘t imagine how much I miss the the one less thunderbolt/usbc port on my m1 max macbook.
At home I have Caldigit TS3 Plus Dock.

What I‘m searching for is a usb hub that offers only usb a and c connections, so no need for hdmi, sd and ethernet port as I already have a mobile hub for that.
I‘m travelling a lot and need plenty of usb a and c connections. What can you recommend?
Depends… If you have power while you travel I’d recommend waiting for this one:

It was touted as one of the CES 2022 highlights but isn’t out yet, only has USB-C/TB4 and I don’t know if it can also work passively (without Power or what the power cord looks like.

I’d recommend a USB-C to A cable or adapter for the few A-Devices still out there.

An alternative could be one similar to this one:

This should give you all you need, provided you can work with 5 Gbit/s for USB-A devices and don’t need Video capabilities via the hub.

Reactions: chfilm

ataq

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006

It was touted as one of the CES 2022 highlights but isn’t out yet, only has USB-C/TB4 and I don’t know if it can also work passively (without Power or what the power cord looks like.

I’d recommend a USB-C to A cable or adapter for the few A-Devices still out there.

This should give you all you need, provided you can work with 5 Gbit/s for USB-A devices and don’t need Video capabilities via the hub.
Thank you for this. The hub will be mainly used at home with power.
The EZQuest is exactly what I was searching for. Attach all USB stuff to that one hub and connect only cable to my Mac.
Are those reliable and do not damage my usb connected devices in any case? Can this happen?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

Thank you! The EZQ hub was exactly what I needed for my mbp 14". Sad that it's not possible to also power a display through this, but you can't have it all I guess. For traveling and being ready to hook up all kinds of USB devices to the macbook this is perfect though, as I always find it has ONE usb C port too little.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I have a power/USB/ethernet hub built into my computer desk's keyboard drawer. I'm looking to replace it with a USB-C hub instead of a USB-A.

Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these? I don't even know the brand name, but the furniture came from Haverty's. Google searches have been non-productive to say the least. I reached out to Haverty's and they were pretty unhelpful.

danqi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
I am looking for a really simple hub to turn one of my Mac Studio's USB-A ports into 4-6 USB-A ports.

Can I go with pretty much any 20$ hub from Amazon or are there quality differences I should be aware of?

Reactions: badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I am looking for a really simple hub to turn one of my Mac Studio's USB-A ports into 4-6 USB-A ports.

Can I go with pretty much any 20$ hub from Amazon or are there quality differences I should be aware of?
Same question. Would you be willing to report back on how well the hub you choose works? I've found over the years that USB hubs can be very finicky. For example, some of my current peripherals will only work when connected directly to my iMac Pro—they don't work when connected to a hub, even if it's powered.

Reactions: danqi

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Thank you! The EZQ hub was exactly what I needed for my mbp 14". Sad that it's not possible to also power a display through this, but you can't have it all I guess. For traveling and being ready to hook up all kinds of USB devices to the macbook this is perfect though, as I always find it has ONE usb C port too little.
I wanted to report back after having used the EZQ hub for a bit. It has been a true gamechanger vor me on the road with all its USB C ports! Their support also has been super responsive when I had an issue with a hdd drawing too much power- they told me I had to sacrifice one of the usb c ports for pass through charging - then everything worked pretty well. They also told me that they‘re looking into developing another version with more ports. :)

Reactions: frozencarbonite

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I wanted to report back after having used the EZQ hub for a bit. It has been a true gamechanger vor me on the road with all its USB C ports! Their support also has been super responsive when I had an issue with a hdd drawing too much power- they told me I had to sacrifice one of the usb c ports for pass through charging - then everything worked pretty well. They also told me that they‘re looking into developing another version with more ports. :)
Which of their hubs do you have? I see a bunch on their website.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 115

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
So you plug additional power source to that passthrough port?

EZQ does not seem to have 10Gbps hubs?

danqi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
If I just want to get 4-6 USB-A ports is it better to get a hub that connects via USB A or USB C or does it not really make a difference?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
So you plug additional power source to that passthrough port?

EZQ does not seem to have 10Gbps hubs?
True it’s only 5GBPs, but that’s ok for me. Right I power the MacBook through the hub, which was at first a bit counterintuitive but Support told me I had to and now it works.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If I just want to get 4-6 USB-A ports is it better to get a hub that connects via USB A or USB C or does it not really make a difference?
USB-A is easier to work with. There are adapters to connect USB-A hubs to USB-C hosts but not USB-C hubs to USB-A hosts (at least not ones that follow the USB spec).

Reactions: danqi

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Is there an easy way to buy some sort of USB-C/Thunderbolt dock to allow for more than 2 external displays to an M1 Mac mini? I have a 1080P monitor plugged in via HDMI and then a 4K LG monitor plugged in via DP to Thunderbolt/USB-C adapter. I would very much like to keep these 2 monitors, but also buy that new Mac Studio display.

Thoughts?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Is there an easy way to buy some sort of USB-C/Thunderbolt dock to allow for more than 2 external displays to an M1 Mac mini? I have a 1080P monitor plugged in via HDMI and then a 4K LG monitor plugged in via DP to Thunderbolt/USB-C adapter. I would very much like to keep these 2 monitors, but also buy that new Mac Studio display.

Thoughts?
Not really.
Limitation comes from GPU.
And of course, with desktop mac, you can't swap in the better GPU.
Because the you would buy less often a new mac.
I'll bet you will buy a new mini when it is released. And Apple likes you to do so.
With intel macs there was a solution: eGPU.

You can kludge an usb based solution:

There is lag and bad 3d acceleration and I'm not sure if they work with current OS...

Reactions: MinimeJer05

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
How do folks feel about these hubs with external drive enclosures? I've read a lot about how they don't maintain stable connections to mac and get ejected randomly.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Not really.
Limitation comes from GPU.
And of course, with desktop mac, you can't swap in the better GPU.
Because the you would buy less often a new mac.
I'll bet you will buy a new mini when it is released. And Apple likes you to do so.
With intel macs there was a solution: eGPU.

You can kludge an usb based solution:

There is lag and bad 3d acceleration and I'm not sure if they work with current OS...
Thank you for sharing this. I bookmarked the links and bought an adapter to prepare.

Just ordered myself a Mac Studio Display -- not expected until late June, so I have some time.

My worst alternative is to buy a Mac Studio, but I don't know if I really want to do that as I just bought my Mac Mini last year.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Thank you for sharing this. I bookmarked the links and bought an adapter to prepare.

Just ordered myself a Mac Studio Display -- not expected until late June, so I have some time.

My worst alternative is to buy a Mac Studio, but I don't know if I really want to do that as I just bought my Mac Mini last year.
If mini can do all you need nicely, you are wasting money on macStudio. You don't need that 8x - 16x computing power with über expensive RAM, etc. Although, the price of RAM is half what I just paid for mbp...

I'm interested to see if there will be working 3rd party storage for macStudio. If there will be and they work fine (not bricked by every second update to OS), I might consider...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.