Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Given how many people purchase Apple products, Apple has them priced just right. You don't sell stuff for less than its worth, and worth is determined by what people are willing to pay for it. That's not greed. Apple isn't a parasite sucking the life out of their consumers. Apple has formed a symbiotic relationship with the market by supplying easy to use, beautiful, quality devices that people want to use.

Many people are confusing Apple's iOS devices with their computers. Their iOS devices sell extremely well and are competivley priced...their computers, not so much. Apple computers have always been overpriced and underpowered compared to the competition and their sales are hardly a blip on the radar in comparison. The rMB is not priced just right, there are several offerings from Windows with better hardware for less money but thats usually the case for Macs. A 128GB SSD for $999 and this one for $1100 would have been priced just right. $1300 is too expensive.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
I keep going back and forth. Would be an easy purchase for me if I had not been so impulsive last year and just gotten an iMac like I wanted but as of now might hold off until i can get one for around 1100 from refurb or on discount.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Many people are confusing Apple's iOS devices with their computers. Their iOS devices sell extremely well and are competivley priced...their computers, not so much. Apple computers have always been overpriced and underpowered compared to the competition and their sales are hardly a blip on the radar in comparison. The rMB is not priced just right, there are several offerings from Windows with better hardware for less money but thats usually the case for Macs. A 128GB SSD for $999 and this one for $1100 would have been priced just right. $1300 is too expensive.

The Lenovo is comparable in price. I think all the core m devices are a bit overpriced, but they will come down.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not confusing anything. Apple makes 50% of the PC industries profits with only 5% of the market share. To say that in different words, they make as much profit as every other PC manufacture combined and only make 1/20 computers. So again, they know exactly what they are doing; their computers are priced exactly correctly. If you can't afford them, don't buy them.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I am quite pleased with price. They aren't just giving them away. They are charging extra for the advanced state of portability.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Don't forget the entry air has only 4gb ram and 128gb storage (compared to 8gb and 256gb in the rMB). So you are paying more for more ram, more storage, much better screen, thinner form factor, and less ports and battery life.

It'd not quite as black and white as you make it sound.

Take the money from the weak processor and less manufacturing via one port... oh and the revenue from dongles.

RAM = cheap as is storage. Ex windows user. 2GB RAM is dirt cheap etc.

OK so maybe not less than the entry air but feel free to explain why its MORE than the 128GB rMBP?!?

Retina is an awesome name and branding for 2560x1600 on a rMBP. How much more does it cost? Not much i bet.

iPhones are sold for 4x their cost to make. This from the Apple factory documentary. MacBooks? Who knows.

Last edited:

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I'm not confusing anything. Apple makes 50% of the PC industries profits with only 5% of the market share. To say that in different words, they make as much profit as every other PC manufacture combined and only make 1/20 computers. So again, they know exactly what they are doing; their computers are priced exactly correctly. If you can't afford them, don't buy them.

Easy to do when you charge 4 times what your competition does. Im a hardcore Apple fan but don't fool yourself, Mac sales are nothing compared to Windows. I can afford the, Im on my rMBP 15 now actually but they are in no way priced correctly. The $2500 rMBP 15 has a two generations old GPU for God's sake. By the time its update, it will be three generations old. Thats embarrassing for a top tech company.

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK
I can't give evidence, but it has been suggested on this and other forums that the core m processors are no cheaper than the other current processors from Intel. So I'm not sure how much saving there is there.

I take your point about ram and storage being cheap. However apple aren't stupid. They aren't going to position their newest, sexy design consumer laptop, with more ram and storage in the lowest spec model than the equivalent MBA, at the same or less price as that same MBA (with an older design, crappy screen etc).

Most consumers, especially for ultra portable devices, don't care about how many ports the device has. And even if they did before, the iPad has cured a whole lot of casual users of that desire.

Essentially, apple would argue that you can pay a premium for power and features/ports (MBP), or you can pay a premium for extreme lightness and sexiness (MB). Either are valid, and what is right for me may not be fit for you, and vice versa.

I for one have never considered a MBP, love my MBA, and am seriously tempted by the new MB. I haven't plugged anything except a charger into it for years ;-)

Obviously I would like it to be cheaper, but this is apple, and I don't consider it an unfair price for what it is.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I can't give evidence, but it has been suggested on this and other forums that the core m processors are no cheaper than the other current processors from Intel. So I'm not sure how much saving there is there.

I take your point about ram and storage being cheap. However apple aren't stupid. They aren't going to position their newest, sexy design consumer laptop, with more ram and storage in the lowest spec model than the equivalent MBA, at the same or less price as that same MBA (with an older design, crappy screen etc).

Most consumers, especially for ultra portable devices, don't care about how many ports the device has. And even if they did before, the iPad has cured a whole lot of casual users of that desire.

Essentially, apple would argue that you can pay a premium for power and features/ports (MBP), or you can pay a premium for extreme lightness and sexiness (MB). Either are valid, and what is right for me may not be fit for you, and vice versa.

I for one have never considered a MBP, love my MBA, and am seriously tempted by the new MB. I haven't plugged anything except a charger into it for years ;-)

Obviously I would like it to be cheaper, but this is apple, and I don't consider it an unfair price for what it is.

The MBA is a great machine, my dad got my 2011 mint (bought used to try Mac) Air. This new Mac is all here say till someone gets their hands on it. As i said in my first post here it is tempting but i have no reason to own it. Its just a wee bit too deer IMO.

I personally despite not wanting one can't wait to see the posts here and the YouTubes. :)

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
...their computers are priced exactly correctly...

That's relative. You have mentioned global figures, so the global market has to be taken into account and as such in/for many countries Apple computers are overpriced.

...If you can't afford them, don't buy them.

The least what this pseudo argument/statement can be called is cheap.

Easy to do when you charge 4 times what your competition does. Im a hardcore Apple fan but don't fool yourself, Mac sales are nothing compared to Windows. I can afford the, Im on my rMBP 15 now actually but they are in no way priced correctly. The $2500 rMBP 15 has a two generations old GPU for God's sake. By the time its update, it will be three generations old. Thats embarrassing for a top tech company.

True.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Exactly! If you don't like the prices then don't buy it. It's a free market. Vote with your money and don't buy it.

I will buy it and show Apple that I value their innovation, the way they made their most compact computer even more compact. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and art at the same time.

I'm very pleased with this new machine.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Exactly! If you don't like the prices then don't buy it. It's a free market. Vote with your money and don't buy it.

I will buy it and show Apple that I value their innovation, the way they made their most compact computer even more compact. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and art at the same time.

I'm very pleased with this new machine.

OR be a wise buyer. There are already 2015 rMBP's on ebay new and sealed at £100/$150 off Apples prices. Wait a bit more and...

OR throw down your money in the Apple store. :D

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
OR be a wise buyer. There are already 2015 rMBP's on ebay new and sealed at £100/$150 off Apples prices. Wait a bit more and...

OR throw down your money in the Apple store. :D

I wonder how that is possible?

In any case, I am ready to preorder. I just wish that I could!

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I wonder how that is possible?

In any case, I am ready to preorder. I just wish that I could!

I'm either impulsive or patient. Nothing in-between. I would be the guy that waits for the eBay listing, 'it wasn't for me its as new' and bids saving loads on this one. If i was 100% sure i'd be at the Apple store.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I liked the Air but preferred the Pro so i'm sure on where i would stand with less power etc. Also i play the odd game so i need fans. My rMBP stays cool with light to moderate gaming.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm either impulsive or patient. Nothing in-between. I would be the guy that waits for the eBay listing, 'it wasn't for me its as new' and bids saving loads on this one. If i was 100% sure i'd be at the Apple store.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I liked the Air but preferred the Pro so i'm sure on where i would stand with less power etc. Also i play the odd game so i need fans. My rMBP stays cool with light to moderate gaming.

I don't game much. The 3D type games make me feel nauseous.

I can be patient, too. For example, I've waited nearly four years for them to update the screen in the MBA. But, now that they are offering the rMB in such a small form factor, I'm jumping on it...immediately!!! :)

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Which Apple doesn't. As others have pointed out, the rMB is similarly priced to other core-M computers on the market.

Huh? The new Macbook is more expensive than all but ONE (Panasonic Lets Note RZ4) Core-M Ultraportable. Its even more expensive than all but a couple (Alienware 13 and LG Ultra PC) 13-15 inch more powerful Broadwell U Ultraportables. Its in no way at all similarly priced to other Core-Ms

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5165-broadwell-ultrabooks/

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
Huh? The new Macbook is more expensive than all but ONE (Panasonic Lets Note RZ4) Core-M Ultraportable. Its even more expensive than all but a couple (Alienware 13 and LG Ultra PC) 13-15 inch more powerful Broadwell U Ultraportables. Its in no way at all similarly priced to other Core-Ms

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5165-broadwell-ultrabooks/

I'm guessing you can't tell the difference between a Hyundai and a Mercedes either?

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I'm guessing you can't tell the difference between a Hyundai and a Mercedes either?

You're joking right? Both the Dell XPS 13 and Asus Zenbook UX303LN are both more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook with better displays. They are both made of aluminum too. They are hardly Hyundais :rolleyes:

The Asus Zenbook UX303LN

Intel i7 4510U 2.0GHz
QHD 3200x1800 display
12GB RAM
256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M with 2GB DDR3
$1199

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
You're joking right? Both the Dell XPS 13 and Asus Zenbook UX303LN are both more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook with better displays. They are both made of aluminum too. They are hardly Hyundais :rolleyes:

The Asus Zenbook UX303LN

Intel i7 4510U 2.0GHz
QHD 3200x1800 display
12GB RAM
256GB SSD
$1199

Does it weigh 2 lbs? Is it as thin? Can it run OS X?

(OK, that last one wasn't fair).

----------

The Asus Zenbook UX303LN

Intel i7 4510U 2.0GHz
QHD 3200x1800 display
12GB RAM
256GB SSD
$1199

Why do you spend so much time here trying to convince people to not buy the new rMB?

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Does it weigh 2 lbs? Is it as thin? Can it run OS X?

(OK, that last one wasn't fair).

I agree, I hate Windows but some of these companies are finally starting to make some very quality products. The XPS is 2.6 pounds, the Zenbook is 3.2 pounds and both are thinner than the MacBook. I'd sacrifice the .5-1.2 pounds to have a superior CPU, GPU, more RAM, a better display and I still have all the ports and a card reader just in case I every need them and I spent less money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.