Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
@Altis If the animations are bothering you and slowing your Mac down considerably, you can always disable them. I happen to have two old MacBooks ('07 and '10) and they both work fine considering what I put them through and how much I used them on a daily basis. The '07's graphics card failed in about 2011 and Apple thankfully replaced the Logic Board for me free of charge, and the '10 has some hard drive issues but nothing major. I've had several Windows laptops completely fail on me during that time which is why I think Macs are more reliable, but that's just one person's opinion and doesn't mean anything.

I probably should disable the animations. The thing is, it just performs poorly overall at this point... things are slow, choppy, and a bit frustrating to use at this point. The only reason I boot into the Mac side now is to get around 6-7 hours of battery life instead of the 3 I get in Windows since it runs the dGPU the whole time.

I tend to agree with reliability being better with Macs, though certainly not perfect. It seems most years have some known issue. When I bought my 2010 17", I really wanted the 2011 because it gained quad-core and 16 GB of RAM (both of which would be really handy at this point in time!)... but the 2011s have a known logic board failure that makes it far too risky to buy.

Also, as you can see from my reply above, the price difference is so massive that instead of buying a 15" MBP (CAD $3200) I can get a 15" Yoga 720 (CAD $1365) and write it off entirely, buy another one and still have enough left over for an iPad.

The "Mac experience" no longer justifies paying such prices to me, personally.
[doublepost=1512585073][/doublepost]
FWIW, there's currently a sale direct from Lenovo on the entry level model (it's still GTX1050, 8GB RAM, 256 storage), I believe it's a $210 discount (US) and runs through Dec 12th[?] The RAM is user accessible, so that's terrific you can upgrade later if needed to 16GB (and apparently a 16GB module works too for 24GB total, it just needs to be physically fairly slim, there's a couple of typical brands that are supposed to work).

Yeah it's actually quite a good deal. Now I'm tempted again... though everything's running fine with my MBP when I run Windows on it (breathed some new life into the machine) so I've generally stopped looking to replace it. I'm also liking the Windows Subsystem for Linux, despite it's awkward name.

In general I find it's best not to fix what isn't broken. :p I'm also pretty hooked on the 17" 16:10 display.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh sorry, I also meant to mention (more temptation ...), if you just register an account with them, you'll get a discount code for another $50 off that machine (and $10 off the pen, that's not included, if you're inclined to use/own one). So that's $999, free shipping :D

upload_2017-12-6_13-35-34.png

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I've been thinking for some time about going back to a custom built Windows desktop for gaming, the repairability/upgradability, and the price point.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
it is really price vs value

Price:
as mentioned above lot of windows comparable hardware. Hard to beat a windows $1500 laptop, hell, even the keyboard works.

Value:
you figure the apple is 2x the cost, will it:
-last twice as long, extend its life through upgrades
-twice as fast
-the battery last an hour longer
-who needs apple care if the unit is initially reliable like most electronic gear.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
One tiny perk about using a MacBook is the trackpad, because I've had awful experiences with trackpads on Windows laptops.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
@Altis If the animations are bothering you and slowing your Mac down considerably, you can always disable them. I happen to have two old MacBooks ('07 and '10) and they both work fine considering what I put them through and how much I used them on a daily basis. The '07's graphics card failed in about 2011 and Apple thankfully replaced the Logic Board for me free of charge, and the '10 has some hard drive issues but nothing major. I've had several Windows laptops completely fail on me during that time which is why I think Macs are more reliable, but that's just one person's opinion and doesn't mean anything.

As an update, I tried disabling the animations with no luck. The instructions there (and another site) are for El Capitan, which is what I'm using, but alas nothing changed.

It's the same with disabling the startup chime (which drives me nuts!)... none of the commands to disable it seem to work for me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I probably should disable the animations. The thing is, it just performs poorly overall at this point... things are slow, choppy, and a bit frustrating to use at this point. The only reason I boot into the Mac side now is to get around 6-7 hours of battery life instead of the 3 I get in Windows since it runs the dGPU the whole time.

I tend to agree with reliability being better with Macs, though certainly not perfect. It seems most years have some known issue. When I bought my 2010 17", I really wanted the 2011 because it gained quad-core and 16 GB of RAM (both of which would be really handy at this point in time!)... but the 2011s have a known logic board failure that makes it far too risky to buy.

Also, as you can see from my reply above, the price difference is so massive that instead of buying a 15" MBP (CAD $3200) I can get a 15" Yoga 720 (CAD $1365) and write it off entirely, buy another one and still have enough left over for an iPad.

The "Mac experience" no longer justifies paying such prices to me, personally.
[doublepost=1512585073][/doublepost]

Yeah it's actually quite a good deal. Now I'm tempted again... though everything's running fine with my MBP when I run Windows on it (breathed some new life into the machine) so I've generally stopped looking to replace it. I'm also liking the Windows Subsystem for Linux, despite it's awkward name.

In general I find it's best not to fix what isn't broken. :p I'm also pretty hooked on the 17" 16:10 display.

same here,, but Windows is no 'prize pick' alternative either.. I just got away from Windows.

Just because the Mac doesn't have a registry doesn't mean your off the hook either.. Mac leaves files around after un-installations, just no where near as bad as the registry on Windows.

It's "better" but far from perfect. And i don't think it will ever be, because everyone wants the convinience when installing apps again, their preferences are still there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
same here,, but Windows is no 'prize pick' alternative either.. I just got away from Windows.

Just because the Mac doesn't have a registry doesn't mean your off the hook either.. Mac leaves files around after un-installations, just no where near as bad as the registry on Windows.

It's "better" but far from perfect. And i don't think it will ever be, because everyone wants the convinience when installing apps again, their preferences are still there.
MacOS all the way! ...except for games. ;)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh sorry, I also meant to mention (more temptation ...), if you just register an account with them, you'll get a discount code for another $50 off that machine (and $10 off the pen, that's not included, if you're inclined to use/own one). So that's $999, free shipping :D

View attachment 740609

Got a slightly better discount code, plus the Active Pen with it for only +$39 ... order placed :) Briefly considered a "certified open box" from BB, but it was the 4K model, and they've had recurring issues with that display, not to mention the reduction in performance/battery life. The HD display gets rave reviews, and 1920x1080 @ 15.6" is still very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.