Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I was just over at another forum for PC users, and it's a general forum, I just happened to be on the PC specific side, but I swear nearly 7/10 topics were from people having errors with their computers.

I've had this macbook air since 2011 and I haven't had any errors with it. Yeah, the occasional hiccup but I've honestly had no problems with this machine since I bought it. In fact to this day, the hardest thing about this machine is getting use to the switch. After 19 years of using windows (21 now) I could never go back, ironically I have a windows phone, god I hate 2 year contracts.

The reason I asked is because I paid over a grand for this machine and yet I can't even run Sims 3 on high settings without it slowing down. On my old windows machine I could crank that sucker at max settings and have no issues.

I plan on upgrading in 2015, since my warranty will have been expired by then, and technology should drastically improve in that time, but I think I am done with the Air, I might go for a Pro instead.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I use both OS X and Windows every day for work, and I haven't missed having Windows as my primary OS since switching to OS X in 2004. And it's not like I haven't tried the Windows versions along the way...I've routinely used XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Quite frankly the only thing I currently like better about Windows than OS X is the ability to snap two windows into place side by side, but there are apps for OS X that will do that.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Not in a million yrs. All the things that drove me batty with windows are gone with a Mac, viruses, freeze ups, control alt delete, taking it to the computer store about every 16 months or so to get de bugged at $129.00 a throw.

No resale on a windows machine etc.....ALL GONE with my.....

13" Air
11" Air
mac mini
Ipad 2

Plus the strong resale of Mac units...it costs less to own and its better, at least for me.:D

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
My Windows desktop just outperformed my Mac - by having two BSODs in 48 hours vs my Macbook's two kernel panics in 5 years! OS X needs to step up its game. :rolleyes:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Oh heck, this is too easy.

Everybody here knows heavy gaming = WinTel

Nothing to see, move along.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I still have a win7 desktop I use as one of my back-ups and for a few things I don't do on my MBA. I have no problems switching back and forth between OSX and win7 except sometimes I try to swipe on my desk thinking it is my trackpad.

Since I do basic things on my comps, I don't have issues with either system and my win7 machine stays running 24/7 except for upgrade reboots. I kind of like having a windows machine because I know at work I will always have to use windows and it keeps me fresh so I don't have to constantly relearn everything.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I don't think I've touched a windows machine in 2 years, honestly. Well, in our restaurant we were running windows to use Pandora.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
I don't miss Windows...ever. I left Windows for Linux and love it. However, when faced with needing a new computer I could either get another laptop(s) and load Linux, or I could just get a Mac, have a better laptop in terms of quality, and use OSX, which looks and feels and operates very similarly to Linux. So I feel like I still have my Linux capability and speed without the continuous stream of headaches I had on Windows.

At one time I felt like my evenings were spent as Windows tech support at home. I was constantly battling computer issues. Now we have 1 Win laptop, 3 Macbook Pros, 1 Linux desktop and 1 Chrome OS Chromebook. My son can troubleshoot Windows so I don't touch his laptop, and all the other machines just work. My evenings are mine again and I'd never run windows again without a serious requirement to do so with no work around.

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
Not planning on it. Dealing with Windows' various tics, slow downs, resource-wrobbing third party software programs and maintenance requirements is a pita. OS-X works smoothly and without issues. Only real negative, IME, is it not running certain windows-only programs.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
I was just over at another forum for PC users, and it's a general forum, I just happened to be on the PC specific side, but I swear nearly 7/10 topics were from people having errors with their computers.

I've had this macbook air since 2011 and I haven't had any errors with it. Yeah, the occasional hiccup but I've honestly had no problems with this machine since I bought it. In fact to this day, the hardest thing about this machine is getting use to the switch. After 19 years of using windows (21 now) I could never go back, ironically I have a windows phone, god I hate 2 year contracts.

The reason I asked is because I paid over a grand for this machine and yet I can't even run Sims 3 on high settings without it slowing down. On my old windows machine I could crank that sucker at max settings and have no issues.

I plan on upgrading in 2015, since my warranty will have been expired by then, and technology should drastically improve in that time, but I think I am done with the Air, I might go for a Pro instead.

For my iMac desktop NO, my iPad on the other hand is great for home and very limited for work. I do prefer my Surface RT for work over the iPad since it has Office, RDP and trackpad support on the keyboard. iPad will eventually get Office but will never get the trackpad/Mouse support until IOS/OSX is merged thats another 3-5 years away. I can't wait that long.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I "helped" my mom set up her new Windows 8 laptop. Worst computer OS I have ever used. I absolutely hate it. Even though there are some well made PCs, they are "stuck" running Windows. Too bad, as I like some of the IPS 1080p displays out there.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm getting a Windiws 8 laptop from work next week. I'm interested to see how it works out.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
There was a while where I did "switch" way back in 2001, but I eventually built a windows machine on the side for playing around with.

Then I had a Mac desktop and a windows laptop, and right now I've got a windows desktop and a mac laptop. I don't see myself ever "switching" for good to anything in particular, because putting all of my eggs in 1 basket would mean compromising.

Why should I compromise? I'm a geek, I like pretty much everything electronic! The desktop I'm using right now is a fantastic machine too, for the work I'm doing with it :D

W7 vs W8, I can use W8 just fine, although MS' idea ticked me off. -_-

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I'm getting a Windiws 8 laptop from work next week. I'm interested to see how it works out.

If ur lucky and they give you a touchscreen, u won't hate it as much.

But coming from work, they always buy the cheapest they can get away with. :(

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
have a win 7 pro bootcamp partition on my mac pro which i boot into from time to time to satisfy my pc gaming cravings. other than that, why would i need windows? ;)

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Once you try Mac you don't go back...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use both Mac and Windows, Mac for my own personal needs (and I have Office for Mac installed as being able to work on Word documents is an absolute must in my work world), and Windows for Work. The latter is not my particular choice, but it is what most of the organisations in the world use, in particular the organisations I have worked for.

Personally, I love Macs, and for my personal computing needs I will not switch - I won't say 'never' shall I switch (for that is too emphatic and ludicrously emphatic a word, given the vicissitudes of life, and especially the economy, above all as none of us are expert in the examination of animal entrails or gazing at crystal balls, or proficient in the study of the stock markets) - but I will say that I do not plan to switch back anytime in the near (or far) future, if possible.

However, I am not a gamer. And, I am mindful that for many people a computer is simply a device which enables them to so certain things, at an affordable cost, and that Windows - the platform still used by most of the world - allows them to do that.

Moreover, my entire work universe has always been Windows - so I need to know it; in fact, as i work both on my personal computer and my work one, on a daily basis, I use both Windows and OSX. That is life.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Ummm, about 7/10 threads in the macbook section are about problems too. I use Windows and Mac, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who swears by one over the other because "it's better" is probably just better with one than the other, and mistakes their fault for the computer's.

Renzatic

Suspended
Ummm, about 7/10 threads in the macbook section are about problems too. I use Windows and Mac, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who swears by one over the other because "it's better" is probably just better with one than the other, and mistakes their fault for the computer's.

Yup. I use them both all the time (though I do use Windows far more often, admittedly), and I've never had much problem with either one of them. Maybe I've been lucky all these years, but weekly BSODs, windows rot, viruses, registry corruptions, driver conflicts...they just don't happen to me.

The only reason why I'm thinking about moving over to OSX is mostly because I want a change of scenery. Oh, and Pixelmator, since Adobe went subscription only on me.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
At work I enjoy Windows 7/8 every day. No options possible.

Private: main system will remain Apple for the foreseeable future; as front end.

In addition to Mac OS X I also run virtual instances of Linux and FreeBSD under VMware ESXi. To control that systems I need one Windows system: which is right now a Win 8 Tablet; for fun.

That said: for me I can live with a peaceful coexistence of multiple OS without sleeping bad at night. :D

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
No way will I switch back. I moved to Linux a decade ago then to Mac six years ago. At that point, I actually realised I *liked* using the computer. No longer was it something I just put up with to get a job done.

For most of the last two years I've had the misfortune of using a corporate XP then 7 PC. As a developer, I absolutely hated it. The command line is junk and in all that time I found myself lost in the pseudo convenient home/my document system, with each application seeming to drop me in a different location for saving and opening files and never remembering where I last opened or saved a document. By a stroke of luck I inherited a mac mini at work, and I'm in relative bliss. My productivity has jumped. Should it be taken away from me, I will buy my own mini and use it at work. There's no way I can go back to Windows.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You're comparing a MacBook Air to a machine that is probably 50x thicker than it. The Air is pretty cool for watching a movie, but it's not meant for anything as heavy as 3D graphics.

Windows 8 is such a disaster. As long as Windows looks like that, I would never think about making the switch back. Most of the apps I use are multi-platform, but a lot of them aren't either.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If ur lucky and they give you a touchscreen, u won't hate it as much.

But coming from work, they always buy the cheapest they can get away with. :(

The IT guy said it was going to be from HP and 'sleek'. Other than that I don't known what it will be. Touch screen on a laptop seems ergonomically incorrect to me. Switching between keyboard, track pad and screen seems awkward. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.