Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I been on and off iPhone but I did have android for a year, evo 4g was great battery sucks , and root it cause I hate to wait for updates , got me a nexus s 4g but hate something's about it too, the evo 3d did it for me i had to get another phone I was thinking windows 7 but I knew an iPhone was coming and most likely for sprint so now after a week im happy to carry an iPhone as my personal phone ( I did have an iPhone 4 for work on tmobile ) and for some reason I don't miss the big screen, I do miss some apps that I bought :( but getting all my old apps(from 3 or more years ago that I have bought ) feels nice, I like the slide down notifications like android as well and love the camera, take pictures of my son like everyday :)

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I switched from an HTC Incredible running Android.

I miss:

* the ability to control my new 4S the way I was able to control the 'Droid, especially turning on and off WiFi and Net from the home page.

* the ability to download the software I wanted and not have to fight through 500,000 iPhone apps, many of which are kind of useless and silly *and* require you to buy before you try.

* the inability to control the volume settings on notifications separately from the loudness of the ringtone.

* the inability to slap a bigger battery in the iPhone.

* the inability to run the superior Google turn by turn trip guide.

I don't use Siri. :eek:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I switched and have no regrets. I've had the Hero and EVO 4G on Sprint and the OG Droid on Verizon. My biggest gripe with Android was the constant flashing of ROM's. The stock software always sucks, you had to root and flash an aftermarket ROM to get decent performance. This was also the only way get timely OS updates. The carriers always drug their feet for months and months before getting them out.

Then I bought an iPad 2. I loved and it. I loved the OS, the apps, and the simplicity. But I soon grew tired of buying the same app twice for iOS and Android so a choice had to be made. Sell the iPad and get what is essentially a Beta Android tablet or get an iPhone. That choice was simple, iPhone it is. In the end it was a ecosystem that got me here.

I have no regrets. I thought I would miss the widget but strangely I don't. I app store via the phone is 100x easier to use and find what you are looking for. I thought I would hate the smaller screen but the super high quality of it makes it a non-issue. As long as they keep the glass design I don't want a bigger screen as you have to run a case and that makes it big enough. Change it to a more durable material that I can run caseless like I did the Android phones and I'd love a 4" screen. I really and truly don't have any regrets.

JD76

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I switched from a Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant)... I think an iPhone with a 4.3 screen would be perfect.. other than that - an iPhone is a much cleaner, refined experience. In order to get my Samsung to work properly, I had to root it, find ROMS that worked good, etc.. Took way too much time. iPhones simply does what it says in a clean, smooth way. I love the build quality as well.. Samsungs are too thin and plasticky (yes, ive seen the youtube video of the SGS2 not shattering vs the 4s)...

One thing that is definitely better is the typing on the iPhone... even though its a smaller screen, its auto correct and forgiving keyboard gets texts and emails out quicker than Androids keyboard.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
I switched.

Siri is what sold it for me. I can't stay on top of opening apps and entering data for appointments and reminders, so to have siri do that for me actually means I won't miss appointments and forget things I need to do.

Loving Siri as well.

I also miss the google nav. I had previously used Telenav on other phones, I like the route view and such, but it is much easier to get your navigation started in google nav. Speak the address and go. Telenav takes way too many clicks to get started. No switching locations en route. I can't wait for Siri to get real navigation with voice directions.

Frankly, for me the iphone is as big as I want my phone to be. The high-end androids are HUGE!

So far I am pretty happy. But Hello Apple, why can't I snooze reminders or use attachments?

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I've been on iPhones since the first one. My company gave me a Droid Bionic which I've been using for work purposes. Used it, rooted it, got stuff for it, still hate it. I'd rather be on a 3GS to be honest.

leeds utd fc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Leeds UK
I've just made the switch from Android - HTC Desire - to an iPhone 4S, and don't regret the move at all. I quite liked my HTC, and never had any real problems with it. But the iPhone integrates better with my iMac. And, more importantly for me, handles podcasts better than any app I tried on Android.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
The only thing I miss is being able to use my phone as a mass storage device, mainly for transferring pics between my computer and my phone. Other than that, I am very happy with my switch.

There's an app for the Mac called PhoneDisk that will let you mount the phone as a drive. Not sure if there's a Windows version. There's a deal on macupdate promo for $14.95.

I switched from the EVO 4G and I miss Swype but I've been using Siri to text so it's almost a wash. Overall I like the iOS keyboard better but I wish there was a punctuation key like on Android or the keys that also have numbers and characters on long presses. Other than that I'm loving my iPhone 4S.

I did go to the store to check out the Samsung Galaxy S2 and after handling my iPhone for ten days the SGS2 felt like a cheap piece of junk. Not saying it is, just felt that way.

I am looking forward to a jailbreak though to be able to really customize my phone. As it stands now I don't see myself going back to Android. The iPhone was the last piece of the Apple puzzle for me as I have a Mac a couple iPads and an iPod touch. I can now finally have everything synced the way I want.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I switched from the original Motorola droid, and like a previous poster said, it was on its last leg. Ehh.. it was on its last leg from day 1, actually :)

No regrets at all, and I will never go back to Android.. EVER. Maybe for a tablet.. but never a phone.

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I switched from the Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S original) to the 4s, only reason I had that phone was because I got it two months before the Verizon ip4 was released and was stuck.
I have an iPad 2 and Mac so ip was obvious choice, I had been wanting one since it first came out but I was on verizon. I have no regrets from switching, android had none of the good games I lOved on ios and the apps were all poorly made. The occasional lag and bugs on my old phone also made the switch easy, even pulling down the menu caused the phone to freeze. I just love the smoothness on here and the screen is so much better even tho smaller.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
switched from an HTC incredible 2. a few things i miss. like being able to plug my phone into any computer and pulling up my images.

but its worth it

sinsay86

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I switched from the evo "4g" and loved it, to the 4s and hands down...AMAZING! one of the biggest things that i love about it... it works!!! with the evo you had to root it just to get rid of all the sprint crap then you would always get a "force close"....so....hands down...thank you steve, and thank you apple

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I switched from a Thunderbolt to a 4s. Although I am quite satisfied with the iPhone, I do miss the customizations and real file system of Android. I just now picked up a Galaxy Tab 8.9 to get my Android fix. Samsung's "Goldilocks" approach with their 10.1, 8.9, 7.0 tablets and phones is aggressive and most welcome. I like being able to choose from different sizes.

So now I tether my Tab to my iPhone and have the best of both worlds... :cool:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I switched from the evo "4g" and loved it, to the 4s and hands down...AMAZING! one of the biggest things that i love about it... it works!!! with the evo you had to root it just to get rid of all the sprint crap then you would always get a "force close"....so....hands down...thank you steve, and thank you apple

Yeah rooting is a two edged sword. If you don't root you have to put up with bloat and you can't tweak performance. You root and in some cases get better performance but you get FCs and freezes and reboots. Every single ROM I tried had something about it that didn't work correctly. Flashing ROMs became tiresome. All I wanted in the end was for everything to work right and no reboots or freezes. Never did find it.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
+1 on MotionX. It's my go-to solution anytime my in-dash GPS falls short.

Waze is great, but if you really want a very nice turn-by-turn navigation app that won't break the bank, you should give MotionX GPS Drive a try. It's .99 in the App Store. If you want the actual spoken street names, you can purchase that through the app for (I believe) $2.99/mo. or (as I did) $19.99/year. You can even get a few different voices for the turn-by-turn. I use it literally every single day at work and it has never failed me once.

It's also updated quite often and the customer support is great. They're always adding new features and really listen to what their customers say.

Sorry for the threadjack...:D

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I switched from the original HTC Incredible to the 4S. The only thing I miss is the back button and a real notification system. I dislike not knowing i have notifications until i randomly check. The LED the iPhone offers tries to be passed off as the same by some people but it really isn't.

And that sums up everything I miss. I love the iPhone. It's so much more polished. Everything just works. The phone itself is just beautiful, the apps i use dont have the bugs i dealt with here and there on Android.

Between the Moto Droid and the Incredible I've been with Android for 3 years and have seen it take some pretty impressive strides. But I am 100% happy with my switch.

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I do miss switching on wifi and especially bluetooth from my home screen like I could on my Evo's

tr1age

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
NYC
I switched and I have been keeping a blog on the things I miss and how to basically get the same functionality. The reason I like the iPhone more however is the speed at which basic tasks get completed like Texting while others are texting you, no interface lag etc.

There really is an APP for about everything. Link in my signature if ya wanna read any of them :)

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Elaborate. I currently have the 4 and I'm thinking about trying out the SGS2.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.794317,-74.125924

Keep in mind that SGS2 will most likely get Ice Cream Sandwich which will probably be a benefit. But as I said earlier I had Che caked out at the Sprint store and after handling the 4S for ten days the SGS2 felt very cheap. I played around with it for about an hour as I waited and performance was very smooth. But I warn you if you plan to root and use custom ROMs it becomes almost an obsession to find the perfect ROM which sadly in my experience doesn't exist.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I switched and I have been keeping a blog on the things I miss and how to basically get the same functionality. The reason I like the iPhone more however is the speed at which basic tasks get completed like Texting while others are texting you, no interface lag etc.

There really is an APP for about everything. Link in my signature if ya wanna read any of them :)

Really...

Where is the app that puts on the home page the ability to switch on and off
wi-fi and network?

Where is the app that allows the user to set volume on notifications different from the volume of the ringtone?

I'd appreciate your advice on these.

I have a 4S....which I do not want to "tether" jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.