Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
I use akimbo phones ie: dual wield. I have a Nexus phone in one hand, and a iPhone 4S 64gb in the other. My Nexus is my daily driver, while my iPhone is for occasional gaming and media consumption. I have an iPad data sim with a large data allowance in the iPhone which I can use as a hotspot for my phone, PC and iPad so I don't drain my daily phone.

I have not switched exclusively. Reason? The communication capabilities on an iPhone are not there yet. The fact you have to have apps open and either running in the background (doesn't work for all) or running in the foreground, means it's not useful for always available communication for things like Gtalk, which are infinitely better on Android and always on.

Conversely, Android cannot compete in the gaming and media space against the iPhone. Hence my use of both.

If I had to choose between the two, I would take the Android.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I use akimbo phones ie: dual wield. I have a Nexus phone in one hand, and a iPhone 4S 64gb in the other. My Nexus is my daily driver, while my iPhone is for occasional gaming and media consumption. I have an iPad data sim with a large data allowance in the iPhone which I can use as a hotspot for my phone, PC and iPad so I don't drain my daily phone.

I have not switched exclusively. Reason? The communication capabilities on an iPhone are not there yet. The fact you have to have apps open and either running in the background (doesn't work for all) or running in the foreground, means it's not useful for always available communication for things like Gtalk, which are infinitely better on Android and always on.

Conversely, Android cannot compete in the gaming and media space against the iPhone. Hence my use of both.

If I had to choose between the two, I would take the Android.

Can you explain what you're talking about concerning communication? Any form I've tried works perfectly, Skype, IM+, and a couple others that do have gTalk.

Bear807

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Like some user above I own both android and iOS, before the 4s was an s2. I get bored of the android after 2 months use, everything seems overpowered and without proper apps to ultilise it, is like a piece of nice looking pie, when you bite it you find no fillings in it. It is just sad :( I enjoy the widgets, free to transfer file all these flashing firmware affair. I think the entertainment bit like games wasn't enough. Now I have sold my s2, I still using android perhaps a little bit low end, is called the zte blade, althought no flash and 600mhz all the apps I use to run on works just fine on this perhaps a little bit slower, and is crazily reliable whooping up 150gb data as a modem at best part is the price is just 70 pounds 13 months ago. I know I will not dare to do it on my iPhone. This is the desirability of an android! Cheap and cheerful!

jnick

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
NY
I switched from an HTC Incredible. Absolutely zero regrets. The 4S is by far the best smart phone I've ever owned. I'm so happy to be off of my Incredible. As an IT professional, there is no comparison.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

hakr100 said:
I switched from an HTC Incredible running Android.

I miss:

* the ability to control my new 4S the way I was able to control the 'Droid, especially turning on and off WiFi and Net from the home page.

* the ability to download the software I wanted and not have to fight through 500,000 iPhone apps, many of which are kind of useless and silly *and* require you to buy before you try.

* the inability to control the volume settings on notifications separately from the loudness of the ringtone.

* the inability to slap a bigger battery in the iPhone.

* the inability to run the superior Google turn by turn trip guide.

I don't use Siri. :eek:

Not having any apps to use is a big bonus for android

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
So I switched from the Nexus One to the 4s. My Nexus one broke otherwise I would have skipped this generation of phone and looked at an upgrade next year. I plan to keep my phones for 2-3 generations usually, but by the best at that time that I can.

iPhone is great so far, but have a few complaints...

1) The freaking wifi force. I hate that I have to hop on wifi to do some things with the phone. I have much faster with ATT over 3G then I do with my DSL line at home, and at work they filter/track/censor the internet access. I play for unlimited data, let me use it! Grrr. I leave wifi off and avoid the apps/things that need it best I can.

2) Screen is a touch small in my tastes, rather it be like 3.7 or slightly larger. I do not like the 4.5+" screens on the newest droids though, I want a phone not a TV. :)

3) Glass exterior. To slippery for a clutz like me. Just put it in a Lifeproof case so that problem solved.

4) Facebook and G+ integration sucks compared to Android, but that I will blame on Google and Facebook, instead of Apple. :)

Over all though I am happy :D

Montanan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
I'll be a switcher in a few days ... as soon as Verizon decides to send me my new phone, anyway.

I've been a satisfied Mac user ever since the dark days of the 1990s, but when it came time to get a smartphone a couple years ago my choices were basically BB or Android -- AT&T was the exclusive iPhone carrier back then, and at the time they didn't sell accounts in Montana. So I went with Android.

Android's lots of fun to play with for a while, and since I enjoyed hacking I had a great time with that. But you get over that after a while, and lately I've mostly just found the mediocre apps and somewhat-awkward UI to be irritating. So I'm really looking forward to getting into the iOS ecosystem.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Can you explain what you're talking about concerning communication? Any form I've tried works perfectly, Skype, IM+, and a couple others that do have gTalk.

He can't. He's a "Newbie", and probably just created his account to troll. Nothing to see here...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I miss quick contacts, ability to turn off bluetooth, wifi, 3G etc at the touch of a button on the home screen, ability to turn phone to be completely silent that is no vibration or anything at the touch of a button, and the ability to touch any text in the conversation & being able to "call" whomever I was texting (iPhone requires you to go to the top of the message string).

I don't miss the notification light, I just never cared about it. I don't miss the reports of some weird virus or malware hidden in apps, the disjointed feeling I had between my phone and my Macs, the size of the Droid X (easily fixed if I had bought another phone), and the buttons (back, menu, home, etc.).

The biggest thing I will always miss and that I got VERY used to was the resemblance of some kind of file system. I was typing an e-mail the other day and I had to copy and paste the text I wrote just to go to the pictures app and send a pic. From from Droid I could type an e-mail and then suddenly decide to attach anything without an issue. I also liked taking a pic and having all the options to upload to dropbox, twitter, e-mail, image storage, etc etc etc. This is something I will always miss and probably the one thing that I'll long for on the iPhone.

Overall though I'm glad to be back on the iPhone.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I miss quick contacts, ability to turn off bluetooth, wifi, 3G etc at the touch of a button on the home screen, ability to turn phone to be completely silent that is no vibration or anything at the touch of a button, and the ability to touch any text in the conversation & being able to "call" whomever I was texting (iPhone requires you to go to the top of the message string).

I don't miss the notification light, I just never cared about it. I don't miss the reports of some weird virus or malware hidden in apps, the disjointed feeling I had between my phone and my Macs, the size of the Droid X (easily fixed if I had bought another phone), and the buttons (back, menu, home, etc.).

The biggest thing I will always miss and that I got VERY used to was the resemblance of some kind of file system. I was typing an e-mail the other day and I had to copy and paste the text I wrote just to go to the pictures app and send a pic. From from Droid I could type an e-mail and then suddenly decide to attach anything without an issue. I also liked taking a pic and having all the options to upload to dropbox, twitter, e-mail, image storage, etc etc etc. This is something I will always miss and probably the one thing that I'll long for on the iPhone.

Just to let you know about attachment picture , while making an email press the home button (email won't get erased or deleted ) and go to the gallery app look or the picture you want, open it , hold for 2 sec now copy and paste on email, sounds long but is easy

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008

I have switched from iPhone to the SGSII and I think if iPhone users could use this feature they'd be kicking down the door to apple begging them to institute it in the next iOS release. It is much easier to navigate around on Android without feeling like you have to jump or go two steps back in order to go 3 steps forward. Everything is very linear with iOS. I can take a pic and send it off to so many more outlets (hell send it right to photobucket if I want). I also won't be surprised if Apple doesn't "borrow" (apple fans would call it steal if it went the other way), the centralized control of wifi, BT, and simple settings.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not having any apps to use is a big bonus for android

As a matter of fact, Android market now has more apps for phones than App Store.

Montanan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
As a matter of fact, Android market now has more apps for phones than App Store.
One of the reasons I'm switching from Android to iPhone is the condition of the Android Market ... certainly not the number of apps, but their relative quality. There are lousy smartphone apps everywhere, of course, but Android seems to have more of them than anyone, and it seems like the "major" apps tend to be better on iPhone than Android.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Don't tell him that. I am pretty comfortable with most of the zealots/dummies staying on the iPhone side of things.

The last thing I want is for the avg Android user to start resembling the avg iPhone user

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just went from 4S to Galaxy s2. I'm having problems with it now and will return it for a replacement. I've had all five iPhones. The s2 is nice though but the 4s is slightly better. I'm an apple fanboy but the s2 is good enough to last me until next year. I'll return to the iPhone then. The two best phones out are the s2 and 4s.

Montanan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
Don't tell him that. I am pretty comfortable with most of the zealots/dummies staying on the iPhone side of things.

The last thing I want is for the avg Android user to start resembling the avg iPhone user

Heh ... as someone who's spent the last two years owning an Android phone and frequenting Android online forums, I can say with some certainty that there are plenty of zealots and dummies over there already. Just like everywhere else, I suppose. :)

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Heh ... as someone who's spent the last two years owning an Android phone and frequenting Android online forums, I can say with some certainty that there are plenty of zealots and dummies over there already. Just like everywhere else, I suppose. :)

This is true of every tech ever created or that will ever be created

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
One of the reasons I'm switching from Android to iPhone is the condition of the Android Market ... certainly not the number of apps, but their relative quality. There are lousy smartphone apps everywhere, of course, but Android seems to have more of them than anyone, and it seems like the "major" apps tend to be better on iPhone than Android.

x2

Android really needs some sort of filter to slow down the flood of complete garbage apps on the market. Having the most apps means nothing when 75% of them don't work, are add-ons to other apps, are malware, or are bad rip-offs of the other 10 versions of the original app.

I'm in an original Motorola Droid right now, waffling between the new RAZR and a black 32gb 4S. Keep up the good discussion folks, this is a big help (and sadly, WAY easier to follow than similar discussions going on in the Android camp).

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I came from an Evo 3D and I can say with certainty the only two things I miss are my ability to turn on and off certain radios from the notification shade, and the ability to see my notifications up in the top left corner. Other than that, no regrets with the change, I'm quite happy with my 4S!

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
ability to turn phone to be completely silent that is no vibration or anything at the touch of a button, and the ability to touch any text in the conversation & being able to "call" whomever I was texting (iPhone requires you to go to the top of the message string).
There is a switch on the side that can make the phone be silent with no vibration, assuming that vibrate is turned off in settings.
In text messages you can tap once on the title bar, and then again on call. Two taps instead of one isn't a huge difference.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just to let you know about attachment picture , while making an email press the home button (email won't get erased or deleted ) and go to the gallery app look or the picture you want, open it , hold for 2 sec now copy and paste on email, sounds long but is easy
You are right, I did realize with my old 3G that I could do that. However, I was never certain the picture would actually "attach" when you copy and paste. Either way, it's still odd and I don't think that was the intended use despite it working.

I have switched from iPhone to the SGSII and I think if iPhone users could use this feature they'd be kicking down the door to apple begging them to institute it in the next iOS release. It is much easier to navigate around on Android without feeling like you have to jump or go two steps back in order to go 3 steps forward. Everything is very linear with iOS. I can take a pic and send it off to so many more outlets (hell send it right to photobucket if I want). I also won't be surprised if Apple doesn't "borrow" (apple fans would call it steal if it went the other way), the centralized control of wifi, BT, and simple settings.

Yeah I also agree that if more people using iOS devices were able to see this simple and yet very effective feature in action then they would beg for it. The way I see it is I have more of a tendency to start an e-mail (as I would on a desktop or laptop) and then opt to attach an image or document. This was especially useful when I would reply to an e-mail. Often I'd reply with an image or document without issue. This is just not possible on an iOS device. Even if you use dropbox or something you STILL have to get out of the e-mail and go get that external link from dropbox. Nothing lets you sit in an e-mail and have the after thought of taking a pic to attach or attaching one from your library.

I love taking a pic and being able to upload to flickr, twitter, e-mail, whatever and of all things that will probably be what I end up missing. I am not a developer so it is hard to really say why this is not a feature already.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I went from iPhone 3G / 3GS to ANDROID now back to iPhone 4S.

I was simply bored of the OS back then and signed up for a 2-year contract with Verizon for a Motorola Droid. Cool phone once rooted so I tweaked it and everything to my likings. Like everyone's been saying, the OS just didn't flow. There were a lot of errors and LAG. It was beyond frustrating. Of course, the original Droid was clunker, specs wise, but still. Apps were lackluster and the overall look and feel of the OS was just unpleasant after a while. Even with custom roms.

I'm very happy with the iPhone. No regrets at all.

The only things I miss about Android are:

-Ability to put power controls (wifi, bluetooth, brightness, etc) in their notifications menu. This was VERY nice and convenient.

-Notification light so I didn't have to turn on my screen to check if I missed anything. Apple has this, but it's the camera's flash light that goes off once. Lame.

... that's it really.

Darkwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Thunderbolt to iPhone

I had the thunderbolt and a family member had an upgrade so I figured I'd try it out. I do miss it a little. My droid was rooted so I had more control over most droid users . The fact that there isn't a jailbreak for the 4s yet is making me so anxious and impatient for it but it's worth the wait. I'm during to play with this toy when it's jail broken. I was concerned about the whole yellow screen issue with the black phones but my phone thankfully is white as can be... Droid is better (stock) however apple products are more reliable.. Lol but once you put a jail broken iPhone next to a rooted thunderbolt, droid blinks and they already lost the race. I'm getting crap for praising droid and switching but I need a phone that can last me longer than 7 months until the battery starts during sooooooo quickly. I miss 4g and the freedom but that's only for now until the jailbreak is released. I also miss widgets BIG plus for droid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.