Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I had a windows phone for a while, but I switched back to the iPhone 5c. I paid full price to keep my subsidy intact. I'm on the fence for the 6, though I do want a larger iPhone. I am liking the 5c, so that is giving me pause for purchasing the new model.

Oh ok. Yeah I bought my 5s at full retail as well. I will not be doing that again though. I think I am going to sell mine, and use the money for the new one if I like it. Again not 100% yet. I want the bigger phone, but just wait and see what it looks like. This 5s has been a great phone.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I will most definitely wait, mainly because I don't have the need to say I had the phone since day one.

Be patient, and get the phone a bit later to avoid hassle among other things.
It's still the same phone a month later from launch.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I will preorder if possible (crossing my fingers). If not, then I'll go line up in front of my local mall at about midnight. That will put me close enough to the front of the line to make me happy. That's what I did last year (although I got there last year at about 1:30 am) and it was actually kind of fun. At least until someone decided to show up at about 4 am and cut the line and when the person in front said no, the guy started trying to flash a gun. Police ended up arresting him because the gun that he flashed was stolen. Got my drama fix for that week.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
So this is definite that you will not be able to pre-order with Verizon if you want to buy the phone outright?

At least that's how it is through apples site. You may be able to preorder online buying outright on Verizon's site, otherwise you'll have to camp

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Haha, wow - lots of self-righteous people on this thread.

I camped out last year for the first time and I had a blast. It was fun being at the store during the opening as all the employees were extremely excited and energetic. Was just a fun process all the way around.

I plan to do so again this year. I've pulled all kinds of all-nighters during college and now for my MBA....what's the difference in hanging out outside, meeting new people and either watching some movies and/or getting some school work done?

I think this year will be far crazier than last. I got to the mall at 7pm the evening before and was 5th or 6th in line. My guess is I'll need to head over right after work to get a decent spot.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Haha, wow - lots of self-righteous people on this thread.

I camped out last year for the first time and I had a blast. It was fun being at the store during the opening as all the employees were extremely excited and energetic. Was just a fun process all the way around.

I plan to do so again this year. I've pulled all kinds of all-nighters during college and now for my MBA....what's the difference in hanging out outside, meeting new people and either watching some movies and/or getting some school work done?

I think this year will be far crazier than last. I got to the mall at 7pm the evening before and was 5th or 6th in line. My guess is I'll need to head over right after work to get a decent spot.

Yep. I camp out for Black Friday as well. I dont have a job so camping for the iphone will be easy. Im just doing it to make some money. Ill end up buying the six for myself when it is readily available.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yep. I camp out for Black Friday as well. I dont have a job so camping for the iphone will be easy. Im just doing it to make some money. Ill end up buying the six for myself when it is readily available.

I don't camp out for BF. My wife and I did venture to Target this past year when they opened at 8PM on Thanksgiving day. It was kinda fun and we got a really cheap kitchen knife set....something we needed.

I have a job. I'll be taking the day off - I camped out last year because I had the GRE that weekend and needed to cram some studying in. Figured I could camp out (which would force me to stay awake) and get my studying in.

Worked out well - I got my iPhone 5S and I got into Grad School ;)

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I can see why they would line up because if you order online you might get yours a couple months later.

But if you have to have it, waiting in line is good.

But waiting over night.. I've never done it but I probably could

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

I agree. I had a blast, got to meet new people, and got plenty of work done while waiting in line. I don't get why just because some people are willing to wait in line it means they have no life or nothing important to do. I have tons of important things to do, but it doesn't hurt to take one night to myself to get a new phone. I rarely splurge on myself or take that much time for myself either, so I'm going to wait in line, have some fun, and maybe work a little while I'm there.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
To those who ordered on launch day, how long did it take to arrive? My issue is that I would need it to arrive by the 30th before I go back to school (I have no desire to pay CA's ridiculous tax on the unsubsidized price).

Then again, my Apple store is just five minutes away, so maybe I should just stand in line.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
To those who ordered on launch day, how long did it take to arrive? My issue is that I would need it to arrive by the 30th before I go back to school (I have no desire to pay CA's ridiculous tax on the unsubsidized price).

Then again, my Apple store is just five minutes away, so maybe I should just stand in line.
Mine arrived three weeks later.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Its just a phone, not worth camping and waiting in line for hours on end.

to a huge amount I agree. Frankly the whole lines thing is so common at this point that it's actually boring. I rather wish that Apple would adopt what they have been doing in China everywhere.

For those that don't know that system, in China you sign up for what you want to buy and a lottery happens every night for who will be lucky enough to buy. You get like 48 hours to complete the sale of the item you signed up for and then it is available for you to pick up in the store within 24 hours.

This is done to avoid riot lines as resellers try to grab all the stock etc. Given how many stores report running out of the hot model before the lines are close to over and then not having it for days on end, this might be a good tactic everywhere. it also helps to calm down stunts like hiring homeless folks to provide 'clean' social security numbers for starting new accounts. Those that want to pay cash could still be given the total payment amount and go buy an apple store gift card or prepaid card for the amount before their number comes up

----------

Nothing is definite until announced.

this is the best comment ever. About so many apple issues

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
All you guys/gals saying that you wouldn't wait in line, nice try. I know you are just trying to get ahead of me in line. Won't work.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Last year I showed up at Best Buy at 7:50 for their 8am opening - and got a 32gb Space Grey one (I wanted white... But it sounds like almost no one got whites). But I was happy enough with getting the storage size I wanted.

I might do the same this year. Or maybe I'll preorder.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'll be preordering. No vacation time left to wait in line and I work from home, so having it delivered to me will be convenient. Other than getting up to look out the front window for the UPS truck every 10 minutes, of course. ;)

I just hope it goes better than last year's launch. I ended up driving down to West Palm Beach like 3 weeks after launch after using that site that trolled Apple's inventory to determine who had which models and where. Finally found a 64GB gold that way, ordered online, and picked up in-store.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas

I ordered my gold 5S via Verizon's website that Friday morning and got the phone 5 days later, as I was getting ready for work. Gonna do the same this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.