Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Time to speculate.
Part of the decision to purchase a mobile device is based on the support you expect to receive in the future. Apple just announced a new/updated 16Gig iPod Touch with two cameras. The question is, will this new iPod Touch run the new iOS 9 next year? If so, could anything possibly prevent the older iPod Touch 5s from also running iOS 9? Will any iOS devices with the A5 CPU or higher be able to run iOS 9 next year?

What do you think Apple will do?

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I'd almost guarantee it - even if a new touch is released this fall.

Reasoning being that the 16GB was just updated - I think we'll see support for at least two years. Apple has never really been a brand to release a "new" device, then leave the customers that bought it high and dry.

I'd say we'll see nearly full usability in iOS 8, a stripped version of iOS 9, and a minimal version of iOS 10, much like you see in the iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Reasoning being that the 16GB was just updated - I think we'll see support for at least two years. Apple has never really been a brand to release a "new" device, then leave the customers that bought it high and dry.

I'd say we'll see nearly full usability in iOS 8, a stripped version of iOS 9, and a minimal version of iOS 10, much like you see in the iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

No, iOS 8 will be the last OS for any A5 device. Apple does not go by age to decide wether or not a device should receive an update, its always specs. The touch has always only received 2 updates, where as the iPhone and iPad in recent years have usually received 3 updates.

Plus if Apple supports the touch in iOS 9 (or even worse, iOS X) who's to say we won't have a relapse of the iPhone 4 on iOS 7? And people who own 4ses, iPad 2's, 3's and minis will be up in arms that the touch, a cheaper product with the same specs is being supported but their device isn't. It just won't work. Apple either has to support all A5 devices or none, those are their only options.

I'd also like to point that anyone who is buying the new 16GB touch should be aware that while it was just refreshed with a back camera and the prices lowered, and that its still the same iPod introduced in late 2012 that, when new, was already using one year old technology. Just like with the iPhone 4, people could still buy it up until Sept of 2013 and were complaining that the phone was too slow/laggy to use even though it was brand new. Just like the touch, it may be new in the box, but inside the tech was 3 years old already.

What I want to know is whats gonna happen to Apple TV since it has a single core version of the A5.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No, iOS 8 will be the last OS for any A5 device. Apple does not go by age to decide wether or not a device should receive an update, its always specs. The touch has always only received 2 updates, where as the iPhone and iPad in recent years have usually received 3 updates.

Plus if Apple supports the touch in iOS 9 (or even worse, iOS X) who's to say we won't have a relapse of the iPhone 4 on iOS 7? And people who own 4ses, iPad 2's, 3's and minis will be up in arms that the touch, a cheaper product with the same specs is being supported but their device isn't. It just won't work. Apple either has to support all A5 devices or none, those are their only options.

I'd also like to point that anyone who is buying the new 16GB touch should be aware that while it was just refreshed with a back camera and the prices lowered, and that its still the same iPod introduced in late 2012 that, when new, was already using one year old technology. Just like with the iPhone 4, people could still buy it up until Sept of 2013 and were complaining that the phone was too slow/laggy to use even though it was brand new. Just like the touch, it may be new in the box, but inside the tech was 3 years old already.

What I want to know is whats gonna happen to Apple TV since it has a single core version of the A5.

The thing is, Apple basically have to drop every A5 device between now and about June next year if they want to drop the A5 from iOS 9. They'd never sell a device that couldn't be updated to the latest software.

Remember, the iPad (2010) and iPhone 4 both have the same CPU, but the iPad got dropped at iOS 5, while the iP4 is on iOS 7! So, you can't discount them only updating one A5 device. Unlikely, yes, but possible.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
The thing is, Apple basically have to drop every A5 device between now and about June next year if they want to drop the A5 from iOS 9. They'd never sell a device that couldn't be updated to the latest software.

Remember, the iPad (2010) and iPhone 4 both have the same CPU, but the iPad got dropped at iOS 5, while the iP4 is on iOS 7! So, you can't discount them only updating one A5 device. Unlikely, yes, but possible.

This.

You have to look at the devices that are selling *today*. The iPod Touch 16GB was just updated days ago. That's, for all intents and purposes, a new model. Apple isn't going to just leave users of their year old device high and dry next fall.

Further referencing the iPhone 4, if you'll notice, you can't buy a *new* iPhone 4. You can get a 4S, but no iPhone 4.

Further, Apple is all about anti-fragmentation. They want as many models on the latest iOS as possible - whether it's a full featured version of it or not. They're not going to have a large section of "new" devices stuck on iOS 8 and going no further.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

Yes they have the same CPU, but the touch 4th Gen and iPad had a different SoC. They had half the RAM of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 was also the only out of those 3 devices that was still being sold when iOS 7 dropped. The A5 in every device is identical (expect the Apple TV), all have 512MB of RAM and dual core CPU. I also see every A5 device being replaced in the next year, hell they might even be gone by the end of this year!

iPhone 6 in Sept/Oct. iPhone 5c will replace the 4s as the freebie phone, removing the A5 from the iPhone line up.

iPad mini 3 Oct/Nov. iPad mini 2 will take the place of the 1st Gen mini (Retina display may be removed).

iPod touch 6th Gen Oct/Nov or Spring 2015. 5th Gen will be dropped in favor of an A6 or A7 based 4.7" 6th Gen touch.

Of course I'm speculating, but judging by years past, this will most likely be what Apple goes with.

This.

You have to look at the devices that are selling *today*. The iPod Touch 16GB was just updated days ago. That's, for all intents and purposes, a new model. Apple isn't going to just leave users of their year old device high and dry next fall.

Further referencing the iPhone 4, if you'll notice, you can't buy a *new* iPhone 4. You can get a 4S, but no iPhone 4.

Further, Apple is all about anti-fragmentation. They want as many models on the latest iOS as possible - whether it's a full featured version of it or not. They're not going to have a large section of "new" devices stuck on iOS 8 and going no further.

It is not a new model. The added a camera and added colors. Just like the iPhone 5c is a "new model", it uses the same tech as the iPhone 5 meaning when one gets dropped, the other most likely will too.

Also yes, you can no longer buy an iPhone 4, however they dropped it in Sept of 2013, when the 5s came out and after iOS 7 had been announced and shipped. They are still selling the iPod touch 5th Gen because its still supported by iOS 7 and 8. Most likely though, it will be dropped by the end of the year or Apple will pull a 4th Gen touch and sell it until the month before the announcement of iOS 9 (most likely April/May) as the budget 16GB model.

I know Apple is not about fragmentation, that is why it makes sense to go to one extreme or the other, kill all A5 device or support them all. I think they are going to go with the former.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This.

Its not a new device, its the same as the other 2 they have been selling for 2 years, all they did was bump the storage.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Its not a new device, its the same as the other 2 they have been selling for 2 years, all they did was bump the storage.

And release it new. It's a "new" 16GB. As in, it's a device that was not in production, but was then put into production and released.

In terms of the market, it's a new device. You can say it's 2 years old, but that doesn't make it true when the SKU is a few days old.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
And release it new. It's a "new" 16GB. As in, it's a device that was not in production, but was then put into production and released.

In terms of the market, it's a new device. You can say it's 2 years old, but that doesn't make it true when the SKU is a few days old.

And yet it is the 32 gig version with just less memory, just like how the OG iPhone got a boost from 8 to 16, didn't see longer support there either right? Did you see longer support when they released the 8 gig iPhone 4 a year later? It's the same device.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No, iOS 8 will be the last OS for any A5 device.

Unless you work for Apple, that is pure speculation. Not a fact. Things can change.

And yet it is the 32 gig version with just less memory, just like how the OG iPhone got a boost from 8 to 16, didn't see longer support there either right? Did you see longer support when they released the 8 gig iPhone 4 a year later? It's the same device.

Same device that's also the latest. It has not been "bumped down" by another iPod Touch.

Truth is, nobody here really knows. They only think they do. Remember everyone is an "analyst." :D:rolleyes:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012

It isn't new by any definition; it has the innards of a 2011 device.

Superluigi6

Suspended
Oct 3, 2013
One part of me wants to run iOS 9 on the iPod touch and another doesn't. I mean, by the time iOS 9 gets released we'll probably have a new iPod touch (4.7 inch and 5.5 inch).

I believe that we'll be able to decide for ourselfs if the iPod touch 5 deserves iOS 9, based on how iOS 8 runs in September. I heard reviewers say that there is lag in the iPod touch 5g.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
One part of me wants to run iOS 9 on the iPod touch and another doesn't. I mean, by the time iOS 9 gets released we'll probably have a new iPod touch (4.7 inch and 5.5 inch).

I believe that we'll be able to decide for ourselfs if the iPod touch 5 deserves iOS 9, based on how iOS 8 runs in September. I heard reviewers say that there is lag in the iPod touch 5g.

There is a lag in iOS 8 developer beta 3. Early beta versions typically have extra inefficient diagnostic program code buried within. How much lag there is in the final released version of iOS 8 remains to be seen.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Old A5 processor; old device.

The internals don't matter. It's a freshly released device whether you want to acknowledge it or not. You can argue until you're blue in the face about it having an A5 - it doesn't change the fact that it's a newly released product. It's not a new design, but it is, in irrefutable fact, a newly released product. :rolleyes:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The internals don't matter. It's a freshly released device whether you want to acknowledge it or not. You can argue until you're blue in the face about it having an A5 - it doesn't change the fact that it's a newly released product. It's not a new design, but it is, in irrefutable fact, a newly released product. :rolleyes:

But it's not a new device :)

jacquesrk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
From reading this forum, and from checking Wikipedia, I recall this situation:

iPod Touch 4th generation was sold until 29 May 2013 (Wikipedia says: "The remaining iPod Touch fourth generation models were discontinued on May 30, 2013").

iOS 7 was released on 18 September 2013.

I read several complaints here about people buying an iPod that couldn't be upgraded to the latest OS that was released about 4 months later.

----------

To add to my previous post, I would be very happy to see a new iPod Touch this year (meaning upgraded processor and internals). I have two iPod Touches (4th generation) for my two sons in grade school, and was thinking I would get them new ones for Christmas this year. Maybe I will get them an iPad mini instead, or else they will live with the 4th generation for another year. I'm not even sure if Apple will continue the iPod Touch line, or just focus on the iPad mini. All the articles I have read say that the market is for iPhones, not an iPod touch.

Ipadminiusernew

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Actually guys i have a iPod touch 5g and its running ios 8 beta 4 and there isnt much lag, its nothing like the 4G on iOS 6, but a few apps crash and it freezes on the homescreen (very seldom tho) but thats even happening on a 5S running iOS 8'b4 so we might be seeing ios 9 on it but itll run like ios 7.1 on an iphone 4 probably!

Crimson24

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
iPhone 2G: iOS 1, 2, 3
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, 3, 4
iPhone 4: iOS 4, 5, 6, 7
iPhone 4S: iOS 5, 6, 7, 8
iPhone 5: iOS 6, 7, 8, -
iPhone 5C: iOS 7, 8, -
iPhone 5S: iOS 7, 8, -

The last three are hard to tell. Now let's look at iPod touch:

iPod touch 1G: iOS 1, 2, 3
iPod touch 2G: iOS 2, 3, 4
iPod touch 3G: iOS 3, 4, 5
iPod touch 4G: iOS 4, 5, 6
iPod touch 5G: iOS 6, 7, 8 (most likely).

The iPod touch has fell short in updates since iPhone 3GS, so bet on iOS 8 being the 5G's last.

For $h!t$ let's look at iPad.

iPad: iOS 3, 4, 5
iPad 2: iOS 4.3, 5, 6, 7, 8
iPad 3: iOS 5, 6, 7, 8, -
iPad mini: iOS 6, 7, 8, -
iPad 4: iOS 6, 7, 8, -
iPad Air: iOS 7, 8, -
iPad mini Retina: iOS 7, 8, -

It's hard to say if Apple's going to kill off the third gen iPad and iPad mini 1 with the iPad 2 for iOS 9 support. If it does, gee, three iPads axed at once!

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Actually guys i have a iPod touch 5g and its running ios 8 beta 4 and there isnt much lag, its nothing like the 4G on iOS 6, but a few apps crash and it freezes on the homescreen (very seldom tho) but thats even happening on a 5S running iOS 8'b4 so we might be seeing ios 9 on it but itll run like ios 7.1 on an iphone 4 probably!

Except that while initially off to a "slow start," the latest version of 7.1 has been optimized enough that it actually runs very well now on the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.