Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No, you don't understand. I din't have a case on my phone...thus the screen cracked...thus NOT having a case is a BAD idea. Especially when you pay 800 bucks for it.

What I meant is that your screen could have been cracked even with a case on your iPhone, because most of the cases are good against scratches and dents but give a very little protection against screen cracks.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Not quite naked.. I guess its like having a towel wrapped around.. :)

I have Squaretrade insurance so I'm not too worried about breakage, but I needed something to provide a little extra grip. I've used **********'s on my last 4 or 5 phones and love it.

Attachments

• 0226152124.jpg
    0226152124.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 289

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
What's that ? :eek:

Looks to be a vinyl skin (or wrap) I've used various clear skins in the past on my older iPhones. A company called BestSkinsEver makes really good affordable clear "wet install" skins. Skins are the best route if you dont want added bulk and still want to show off the phone but give it some protection.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think you'll like the apple leather case. It's really the best case I've used. Doesn't offer the most protection but it's slim and makes the phone much easier to grip.

OK, I just got my Apple leather case.... yep, this is what I was looking for. I've tried a handful of other cases and wasn't happy with them. I'll be sticking with this. AWESOME. Was a little expensive vs the $9-$19 cases on Amazon but ... totally worth it.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
This is hard. I just got my 6+ yesterday, coming back to the iPhone after a year long stint on Android.

I rocked the Android naked, but I heard using the 6+ naked makes it prone to bending. Do I really need a case?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
This is hard. I just got my 6+ yesterday, coming back to the iPhone after a year long stint on Android.

I rocked the Android naked, but I heard using the 6+ naked makes it prone to bending. Do I really need a case?

I really dont think the bending issue is widespread enough to worry. I personally would get a case, especially since the 6+ is big and probably even more prone to shattering, but again it may bend in EXTREME cases, plenty of people im sure have their 6+ naked and have no issues with bending. You should be fine.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
ugh nicked the side of my 6 plus .. screen in mint but it is starting to bother me .. might use one of my paid replacements lol

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I'm not sure I understand the logic that naked+AppleCare is a good way to avoid a case. AppleCare is 99 plus 79 for a damage incident. After tax you're looking at a 200 "case" ? Yikes !
I agree, people use the "well I have Applecare so I dont need a case, I'll just use my Applecare replacement." Meanwhile, I'm over here keeping my phone mint in a case, not paying for Applecare and not paying for a replacement, and still selling my phone for a profit in mint condition after a year.

A case/no case is something that really varies to the individual. Sure it may cover this beautiful design, but it's a phone, not an exotic sports car. Have you heard a naked iPhone drop and smack the ground (that horrific sound)? And then seeing the owner pick it up to realize it's toast.... no thank you.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
In most of the drops a case couldn't protect the screen but just the body of three phone

Not at all. I'm willing to bet if you take 2 of the same cell phones, 1 in a case and 1 without a case, and drop them from difference angles, most of the time the cased iPhone will saved the screen and it's components. Why else do they have case drop tests? Why else do I see tests of people testing those rugged bulky cases and dropping them 500 times and not having the screen shatter once?

Cases DO protect the screen, especially a case like mine that has a considerable lip on the front display. Especially a rugged polycarbonate/rubber case, those are excellent for screen protection. TPU/Silicone cases? Those are more to protect the finish of the phone but can also help to save the screen. The screen can shatter from just hitting a bad angle, an edge, etc. Cases protect that from happening no doubt.

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Been (mostly) naked for around a month now. Just using a Sena pouch when on the move. Put a case on this morning but had to take it off again as just didn't feel right. My 6 Plus is just right to hold now. Not slippy as some people say, it just feels fine. Not had any drops or scratches. All good here and pleased I'm using iPhone as intended.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Why do people insult people in here and say how "they have money to waste" and must be "really crazy" to even consider running naked? I even saw in one thread where a guy didn't rent an apartment to a guy/girl cause one of them had a shattered screen and it meant they were irresponsible- what a joke. I find it amusing, some people really enjoy the industrial design/feel of iPhones, and ANY case, skin, or screen protector ruin this feel in at least some small way. It's not crazy at all, and I know many people including myself who have used their phones like this with no damage at all, and others who don't even attempt to baby their phones and just have normal wear and tear without anything damaged seriously. Just because you can't understand how this is possible, or have seen many shattered screens, doesn't mean its not possible or rational. And if people run AppleCare plus, which is refundable at anytime by the way(don't think many people realize that), and can afford to pay for replacements, then good for them. Don't worry about what they can afford and just wrap your phone in a otterbox and do what works for you if money is tight and you can't stand to see a single mark. Some people have a natural ability to take care of their things, and also aren't as clumsy as others. These phones CAN handle going naked- it's not just for crazy people and rich people, sorry not everybody understands this.

Ok, rant over.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
I have slimfit case of the brand Spigen crystal clear iphone6+

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6-and-6-plus/iphone-6-plus/iphone-6-plus-case-ultra-hybrid.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.