Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hi op,

Are you looking for people "who are loyal", whatever that means, or people who like the products?

I think the Idevices are the best of the bunch right now. I'm looking for ease of use and "just works", which is what the iPhone experience seems to be.

Reactions: LukeG94

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
How's that?
Listing your credentials as a teacher and then not setting the example is pretty ironic. It also comes off pretty critical to judge the OP for poor research. We aren't aware of the OP's other sources of information or how the information gained from this forum will be referenced or used. Furthermore, you didn't even provide the reason why asking members here is poor research. Nor did you suggest an alternative means to gather unbiased information or a solution to make this post here a more accurate representation for the question. Thankfully, my teachers always gave me feedback and suggestions to conclude in better work.

Reactions: LukeG94 and laurim

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Picking nits over fat thumbs is low-hanging fruit when one has nothing cerebral to contribute.

You are the one who stuck your low-hanging fruit out there to be snarky for no reason. Stick your tongue out at someone-don't be surprised when someone gives your chin an uppercut.

I used to plan/perform consumer research studies for Procter & Gamble, the KINGS of consumer product research. We would conduct small focus groups with people selected with specific criteria all the time and that's basically where this falls. There are all kinds of research methodology and they all have their place and various levels of actionable value.

Reactions: LukeG94 and dk001

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Loyal is a term I wouldn't refer to myself in regard to the iPhone. I am a loyal Cubs fan in that they remain my favorite team whether they are good (rare) or bad (often). But good or bad, I don't waver and consider myself loyal.

With the iPhone, it continually works best for me year in and year out. As long as it remains my best option, for me, I will continue to use it. Loyal? Nah. I have delved in the android world in the past and wouldn't rule it out for the future. Admittedly I am not sure what it would take for me to give android more than a passing glance these days, considering I prefer iOS as an operating system, but if Apple doesn't deliver certain things in the iPhone 7 that I consider realistic and necessary then perhaps that will be the turning point for me.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I don't consider myself loyal to any particular company or brand but whoever makes reliable and good quality products will always have my money. I guess to an extent I am a loyal Mac user as that has been the one platform that Apple has done consistently well with and I see no point in switching there.

The iPhone, however, I am not as big of a fan as I used to and it's mostly from the software end as the hardware is as sophisticated and high quality as it's ever been, iOS has taken a turn for the worst.

I think iOS 7 was when I realized that my days with the iPhone were numbered. While I liked a bunch of the new features introduced, I did not like that a handful of features were also moved as well. I also did not like decreased level of performance and the increased level of bugs and glitches. I especially disliked (and still) the redesigned UI as it's childish, unpolished and completely sucked the life and soul out of a mobile OS that was fun, attractive, refined and had an identity that differentiated itself from its competition. The software i literally the face of the product and if you have a beautiful body but an ugly face, something is terribly mixed up and disjointed.

Also, one of the big reasons that I was drawn to the iPhone was because of the iPod and that an iPhone more than adequately fulfilled that role therefore I only truly needed one device, the iPhone. However the stock music app has not been as good as it was in iOS 6.1 where it was at its absolute best and while the music app from iOS 7-8.3 had a bunch of issues, I maintained hope that Apple would make the most out of its Beats purchase to make so much needed improvements to the app and restore it to its former glory but they ended up making it a helluva lot worse to the point where I'd be happy to downgrade to the 8.3 version. The combination of a terrible UI design and layouts as well as a bunch of useful features being removed for no reason solidified my belief that it wasn't gonna get better but worse. MY personal music collection took a backseat to a streaming service I had no intention of signing up for. Since it was becoming more and more aggravating and less joyous to use my iPhone as an iPod, I made the ultimate decision to get rid of my iPhone and I decided to downgrade to a flip phone with a cheaper bill since I don't like Android any better.

In short loyalty is a two-way street especially when it comes to consumer electronics with any brand for that matter. Because of the terrible software decisions Apple has made recently in iOS, they lost me as a customer there. However, I will not rule out a return to the iPhone if they make substantial improvements to future iOS updates but at this point, I can't see them doing that so I will wait out on the sidelines.

Reactions: dk001 and LukeG94

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
Hi guys,

For university purposes, I am researching the reasons as to why Apple consumers are so loyal. As a technology enthusiast myself I am interested to see the driving force behind repeat purchasing of the iPhone models. Is it down to features, price, experience? I would love to get your opinion, for any reason why you continually purchase the iPhone.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks,
Luke

I started with an iMac. Coming from the Windows camp, it was a beautiful machine. Excellent build quality and superior performance. I was very satisfied with my product.

Time to buy a new smartphone. Hmmm, let me think, why not try an iPhone (from Android). Again, a good product and happy with it. Can Facetime and iMessage now with wife :)

Wife admires my iMac, always complaining to me of her (high end) Windows laptop, of how it slows down, crashes, poor battery life and ga-zillions of Windows Updates. I buy her the Retina Macbook Pro. Super happy with it and no more complaints.

I bought an Apple TV to watch primarily Netflix and Airplay from my iMac to the big TV. Works like a charm (sometimes Airplay goofs up).

As you can see a pattern here, customer satisfaction and good eco-system are 2 factors that have kept me here in Apple's world.

Cheers !

Reactions: LukeG94

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I don't see myself as "loyal" to Apple. I have bought and used more Android phones than iPhones. The 6S is actually my 4th iPhone (3GS, 4, and 5 previously). In the meantime, I have used plenty of Android phones (Nexus One, Gnex, Nexus 4, 5, HTC One, Moto X, Xperia Z1, Oneplus One just to name a few). I used both platforms concurrently to have objective experience on both, although I do use the iPhone as my primary phone until the 5. Then I switched to Android, only using my iPad for iOS experience.

However, now I am back to the 6S. Why? Because Google and the rest of Android OEMs forced me to. Their reactions to reported critical security issues pretty much tell me to buy the iPhone. This is amplified by stagefright vulnerability, and I thought Google and the OEMs will buck up, but no. They just pretend nothing happened and their actions show that none of them felt any accountability in safeguarding consumers.

Imagine if this is Windows, and when there's a security vulnerability, you have to wait for your PC manufacturer to provide you with a patch, and only give it to you months later after Microsoft provided the update. Imagine when Microsoft release Windows 10, PC manufacturers prevent you from updating your 6-month old computer so you are forced to buy new PCs instead. There will be lawsuits left and right. This is what's happening with Android, yet nobody seem to mind. Nobody is held accountable for flooding the market with highly insecure always-on computing devices.

How about Nexus? For one, Google refuse to make the Nexus phones available worldwide, and when they do, their prices are highly inflated. Second, just because I have a Nexus, doesn't mean I get security patches right away. Unlike Apple, Google rolled out updates in stages. If you are lucky enough to be in front of the line, great. If not, you can be waiting for months for your turn. And their retention history is not promising, dropping support for the GNex and Nexus 4, arguably prematurely. And yes, I know this because I own and used the Nexus phones as I mentioned above. Imagine if there's a security patch from Microsoft, and your PC cannot get it now because you are on the "later" stage of rollout. People will be suing Microsoft. Yet Google get a free pass.

Enough is enough. Clearly Google and OEMs have no interest in providing a great experience for me. Once I pay them money for the phone, they run away. So that left me with Apple, that despite their drawbacks, at least Apple put some effort for customer retention.

I am all for competition, but the competitors (Android) is forcing me to be with Apple. Considering Apple is doing a pretty good job in nursing their garden, I guess I'm staying with Apple.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I am not loyal to any consumer product. I buy what fits me at the time. I used a MacBook Air for three years till I purchased a surface 3. I'm back to the iPhone after being with Samsung for two years.

Reactions: dk001 and LukeG94

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Definitely loyal to Apple and their products.

Reasons are many but begin with the original Macintosh. The reliability, and software integration was the best I could find. The whole mouse, menu, graphical user interface was pleasure to use vs IBM and dos. Reliability and customer service over the ensuing years further cemented the loyalty.

Forced to use Windows machines for work, further convinced me that that Apple was superior. The slowdowns, freeze ups, blue screens, malware and viruses left a bad taste in my mouth for non Apple products and software. Tried IBM, Compaq, HP, Sony, and assortment of off brand computers. None were as reliable, and worked as consistently with minimal problems over time as Apple computers.

Used the iPods and found them again to be superior to other music devices. Again reliability, ease of use kept me happy. All my other tape, disk players went unused.

The original iPhone announcement was a milestone in marketing. I had been active with all the latest flip phones upgrading as new devices appeared. Was very happy with Motorola devices. Sensing the first iPhone was perhaps not yet delivering fully on the promises. I waited till the 3GS came out. Based on user reviews and articles I jumped on board with iPhone. So I don't blindly scarf up every Apple device from day one. This "isheep" analyzes and decides based on my needs.

The iPhone 3GS experience was so smooth I went to 4s, 5s, 6 Plus, and now 6s Plus. Again reliability, ease of use, software updates, privacy/security issues, customer service, kept me coming back. While the introduction of larger screens tempted me to switch at the 4s stage, the issues people were having with slow phones, malware, lack of software updates, and slowdowns once they did get updated bloated software kept me in the Apple camp.

At first the iPad did not interest me. I did not see a real use case for me. That all changed with the iPad Air. I caved and got one and now it serves as my main consumption device. Upgraded to iPad Air 2 and again the iPad's performed for me without a hitch and continues to do so. During this I purchased several MacBook Pros and I have again found no reason to switch.

Loyalty from me for Apple products was and is being earned daily by the ease of use, integration of the whole ecosystem, reliability, customer service, and product innovation. Apple may not be always first out with a feature. But when they do introduce something they have thought it thru and make it work the best. And they don't stop improving. Take the finger print sensor. Worked better than most others in first implementation. And each subsequent product release and software update it got more reliable, and faster. To the point now, a few people complain it's too fast. These are noticeable improvements to me and I appreciate them with continued purchases.

In closing, loyal to Apple, yes and from my experiences, for valid reason. I have not had a single Apple product that failed or had to be repaired or returned. No other products I have purchased can equal that record.

iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, AirPort Extreme, MacBook Pro all operating well, integrated, communicating seamlessly. Oh and sitting in corner my HP desktop that froze up and won't let me restart it because some boot file is missing or corrupted. And my Sony laptop that crashes regularly before I stopped using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: laurim and LukeG94

Rosto

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro from 2011 which still works great. I had an iPhone 5 which worked great (even iOS 9.1!!)... did replace that with a 6s. I am an IT guy who works with all kind of OSses, appliances, etc... but at home I just want it to work. So.... Apple for me!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I...

I am all for competition, but the competitors (Android) is forcing me to be with Apple. Considering Apple is doing a pretty good job in nursing their garden, I guess I'm staying with Apple.

You do realize that all these issues for some devices has been fixed? As for encryption and other issues, you can turn these on if you want. Just saying...
My Note 5 is every bit as safe as my 6S+.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Simple. Apple has earned my trust and my loyalty. Their products worked for me at a time when Windows PCs and Nokia phones and stupid slate tablets didn't. And when my iMac developed problems, Apple was the first PC company to not treat me like dirt by being quick and responsive to fix it with minimal hassle to myself. They work great and have opened my eyes to a new computing experience I didn't think was possible.

I also admit to having a soft spot for their underdog status many years back. How it was often just them against the rest of the world. How Apple constantly went against the grain and never failed to challenge the status quo and not only did Apple prove to be right, they managed to make their competitors look like complete and utter idiots while they were at it.

And until Apple does something to screw up monumentally, I see myself continuing to use Apple products for a good many years to come.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Easy... its the ecosystem and "it just works" ease of use design model. It has nothing to do with features, price, etc.. Feature chasers are going to choose Android over iOS most times.

My first entry into the Apple world was an iPhone. I resisted for a while, because I was a total smartphone geek and had for 5 years prior to the iPhone introduction had devices that did much more... windows mobile, symbian, palm, etc.. I didn't get it. Then I tried an iPhone and after an adjustment period realized that it didn't do anything new, but the total experience was just so much better... and it was the ecosystem/design model.

After having the iPhone, I decided to give a Mac a try. Then an Apple TV. Then an iPad. Then more of all the above for my family. Now, having something that is not part of the Apple ecosystem that my family and I use just creates tremendous friction. I did have an Android phone for 6 months earlier this year due to a job change... a Galaxy S5... and it was an incredibly frustrating experience. Happy to now be back with iOS.

Just want to clarify that "loyal" wasn't part of my response. I am not "loyal" to products. I "buy" for the reasons I listed.

Minivanmom

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
Northeast, USA
I am a total phone geek and have used every OS out there: Blackberry, Windows, Android and IOS (thank goodness dh has a good sense of humor about all the phones I go through) and I always seem to default to IOS for a couple of reasons. As everyone has said, it just works. Smoothly and without problems.

Next, security. I am tried of waiting for security patches for Android and worrying if the next link I open will get me a virus.

Every iPhone gets an OS update at the same time. It's a crap shoot with Android. Is my phone new enough or the right manufacturer to get the latest OS? Blech. Hate that feeling that I need a newer phone just to get the newest OS.

Love being able to answer and make calls and text across all my devices.(In fairness I know that this possible with Android too)

Finally, there are certain apps that I really love (like Sirius XM and radio pup) and until Blackberry or Windows get them, I am staying with Apple.

Again, Apple just works and works well nearly all the time for me.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Hi guys,

For university purposes, I am researching the reasons as to why Apple consumers are so loyal. As a technology enthusiast myself I am interested to see the driving force behind repeat purchasing of the iPhone models. Is it down to features, price, experience? I would love to get your opinion, for any reason why you continually purchase the iPhone.

Many Thanks,
Luke

The software cohesion among different devices. For example being able to use iMessage and Keychain on iPads or OSX and have everything work so well.

The overall usability of iOS, especially as compared to Android and every manufacturers different skinning of it.

Timely updates that bring meaningful features. In contrast the LG G3 I used briefly took almost a year to get a system update. It's clear that fragmentation is a huge problem for Android, and there is no real expectation of updates after you leave the store with an Android device.

Build quality and customer service. Although Apple has been dropping the ball somewhat with this on the 6S Plus.

etc.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You do realize that all these issues for some devices has been fixed? As for encryption and other issues, you can turn these on if you want. Just saying...
You have a note 5, a brand new flagship. Can you guarantee the same kind of support for Note 4, or even Note 3 users down the road? How about dozens of other Samsung phones that won't even get a single update? Heck, can you guarantee the same level of support for your Note 5 two years from now? Plus your 6S+ is running the latest iOS. Is your Note 5 running 6.0.1?

I'm sorry, but Google and all Android OEMs have stated their stance, that they don't even feel compelled to respond to known security vulnerabilities, and still knowingly sell devices that won't be patched. All Android OEMs have only one objective, to sell new devices. They have no strategy in customer retention. I have used plenty of Android devices, and I have enough.

My iPhone 5 is running iOS 9.1.
My Moto X won't even be updated to Marshmallow. Heck, it didn't even get a 0.0.1 patch to lollipop, stuck at 5.1.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10" 2014, a flagship tablet, that is still on kitkat.
I also have an HTC One M7 that is stuck on 5.0.2.
Note that all these Android devices are newer than my iPhone 5, and they are all flagship devices.
Sorry, but Android ecosystem is broken.

Reactions: newsman787

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Here we go again. Went back to re-read the OP original question. No where do I find any request to start up a battle comparing iPhones to android, Samsung, etc. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the OP requested reasons why people stay loyal to Apple iPhone. This does not call for a defense by users of other phones as to why the iPhone loyalty reasons are wrong. Opinions wether right or wrong still shape the reason for loyalty. And if the marketing of the competition is failing to inform about corrections to past mistakes, well doesn't this also speak to reasons for loyalty to a product. Who knows, perhaps at some point the OP may ask about why people are loyal to other brands of phones. At that point you can wax on about your opinions of the note 5. Tell the OP why you have a 6s+.

Last edited:

Amelia Pond

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Hi guys,

Many Thanks,
Luke

Quite simple: It started with the 2005 iBook G4, which gave me a fantastic user experience for 5 years. (It's still working but I upgraded.) Based on this experience, I switched to an iPhone and which gave me an equally good experience for years and and seamless integration into my existing tech ecosystem. Same goes for the iPad, which joined the family later.
For me it's ease of use, it just works well and for a long time, value for the money.

FYI: I don't continually purchase the iPhone as other do every year. I have had the iPhone 4 and now the iPhone 6s, which I plan on keeping as long or longer than the 4.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Because they work great and work great together. Phone is super - fast, reliable, long battery life. I take a picture on my phone and it automatically appears on Mac or iPad, etc. etc. Always used Windows at work and it isn't close in terms of reliability and use. Office is better than Apple apps for me but other than that love the way the Apple products work and work together

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Familiarity. I simply don't have time to set up a new platform right now. Apple was the first to market with the modern multi-touch, friendly-OS smart phone. And they lured me into the platform with an iPod touch when I didn't yet need a smartphone. They got a lot of things right early on.

Build quality. I see value here.

Stability.

Integration with other Apple hardware and services.

iMessage. Everyone I routinely interact with has an iPhone.

Reactions: dk001 and I7guy

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Their ecosystem works very well for me. I can transfer most everything I do or am doing from one device to the next. I enjoy the convenience of plugging in my phone when I get home from work and using my Mac or iPad to continue emailing, texting, taking/making phone calls, etc...

Odat

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Down South
Ive had every iPhone since the 3G and I just like the straight forwardness and smoothness of the Apple os. I also like the build quality of their devices and I have too much $$ invests in apps and accessories. So it's that more than just loyalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.