Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
iOS still annoys me. I've played with an iPhone 7 quite a bit and I still would definitely not want one. No user accessible file system, no easy way to send songs from the phone's music library, Apple maps integration in 3rd party apps (yuck) instead of Google maps, no super cool live wallpapers or skins without jailbreaking, SwiftKey isn't as good as on Android, comparatively low screen resolution, no easy way to turn the phone into a file server (WiFi file transfer pro), no OLED edge screen (I enjoy mine), poorly organized Gallery app (not enough designated folders), iCloud being an underpowered mess, Apple Music bias in the music app, the list goes on. There are a select few things I like about the iPhone, but they pale in comparison to the negatives for me. I used an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4 and have spent quite a bit of time playing with the 4S, 5, and 7. No thank you!
Pretty much the same as me :)

I like iOS on my tablets though, as I do not use my iPad for anything more than as my Calender, Web Browser (when I want a larger display), watching a movie or 2 when travelling, and as my phones WiFi hotspot.

Android just does it for me in the end
-the Homescreen with Widgets, Folders and Direct shortcuts to parts of apps on my 1 homescreen.
- File system access.
- Very little dependence on Cloud storage
- My S7 Edge allowing me to add a MicroSD
- USB-OTG, making it easy to connect to any device without having to use any data
- WiFi Direct
- Download Booster (using both 4G LTE and WiFi) if I want to get a file quicker
- Allowing me to have more control over Power Management, right down to each app

I could go on and on.

iOS is nice, and when I reach retirement age in about 40years time and just want something to Text, Phone and take pics with, I'd gladly get an iPhone, but for now I want something that is more of a computer in my pocket, Android does that very well for me.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I switched from s6 to a iPhone 7. I love the simple iPhone interface it does what I need efficiently. I do miss the back button and SIRI STINKS. But overall I am more pleased with the iPhone. It's all personal preference. Enough said.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
My personal phones have been Android for the past several years. For a few years, I have been using an iPhone for work as it was our corporate standard. Using the iPhone regularly now for a few years has really convinced me that the iPhone is not for me.

My biggest issue with the iPhone is the poor typing experience compared to Android. Android has the advantage of much richer and better keyboard options than the iPhone. For years the iPhone had one keyboard. Even though third party keyboards have been available for a few years now on iOS, the iOS versions of even the most popular keyboards on Android are a shadow of their Android counterparts. At first, I felt that this feature is new and I felt the third party keyboards suck, but after years, they still sucked and have not gotten much better.

I personally prefer to type in landscape orientation on my phone. The keyboards I use have a split layout. The keys are split, so half of the main keyboard are on the left third of the screen and the other half are on the right third of the screen. With this split layout, my thumbs don't have to reach far into the centre of the phone when holding it in landscape mode. It's like the iPad's split keyboard to make thumb typing easier. On Android, there are a number of third party keyboards that have this feature. I currently use Kii Keyboard II. Swype also has this feature. On the iPhone, there is nothing that I found that has this feature.

This landscape split layout isn't the only thing about Android keyboards that are far superior to iOS. There are others, but this is the most significant. As long as typing on iOS is such a pain for me, I will never consider using an iPhone or an Android phone.

Reactions: nordique

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Android is at a point now where its got some compelling features that if you use them enough on a regular basis, it makes going back (or switching to) iOS challenging because those features simply don't exist on iOS

They both have their strengths, but I have a hard time letting go of Android because it just implements things better (like widgets and *some* medical apps) and the customization is something I love (i want to change the font or the theme or the launcher if I wish without needing to jailbreak my device)

Since modern high end android phones are powerful enough to run the OS fast, that advantage iOS had for me is gone. I miss 3D touch the most since I used it a lot. And some apps are better on iOS (Microsoft Office Suites, *Some* Medical Apps). But you can simply do way more with Android, and when I go back to iOS now for my smartphone I enjoy it but find it lacking in features that I have come to appreciate.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Every time I buy a new iPhone, last three years, and check out and iOS, there are too many pet peeve issues and annoyances.

The way Huawei EMUI 5 runs on Android 7.x has also provided clean interface, non of the bloat of Samsung, or the proverbial issue with battery.

My iPhone 6S+ sits idle. There is one app that isn't on Android. And I use Numbers for household budgeting that Sheets can do but not as well.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I use both. My iPhone has my main sim and I tend to use the Sony more for audio or whenever I feel like taking a small phone out with me.

I tend to think that both iOs and android are good so why not have each.

Reactions: v0lume4

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I am sure this has been said before but why does it matter. Why would anyone even care what phone the person next to them is using. I had iPhone since 2011 and last year I switched over to android.

I am very happy with the switch, I have really enjoyed the variety that android gave me. I have now switched back to my old 5s (not by my choice) and there are a few things about iOS that I kind of missed but all in all I did prefer the android experience and will be going back when the S8 comes out.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone else disappointed that the rumors now point to Apple going with inductive charging for their wireless charging solution? And that it'll be proprietary (no surprises there actually).

My feeling is that if Apple is going to be late to the game they should leap frog the current technology and give us true proximity wireless charging as was rumored earlier.

Wonder what we'll finally see (remember those rumored dock pins, too?), but if it's similar to current wireless charging solutions, then Apple is just playing catch up. This'll be great for iPhone users to finally have this feature but I am hoping for something more innovative -- however you want to interpret that. Hoping for the next step in wireless charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Anyone else disappointed that the rumors now point to Apple going with inductive charging for their wireless charging solution? And that it'll be proprietary (no surprises there actually).

My feeling is that if Apple is going to be late to the game they should leap frog the current technology and give us true proximity wireless charging as was rumored earlier.

Wonder what we'll finally see (remember those rumored dock pins, too?), but if it's similar to current wireless charging solutions, then Apple is just playing catch up. This'll be great for iPhone users to finally have this feature but I am hoping for something more innovative -- however you want to interpret that. Hoping for the next step in wireless charging.

Not surprised in the slightlest. When has Apple ever implemented any sort of solution that doesn't try to keep the customer firmly locked into the Apple ecosystem? This general mentality has really worn away a lot of my affinity for the company and brand. For example, how great would it be for the consumer to be able to use one charging/connectivity solution (USB-C) across all their gear? One type of charging plug, one type of cable. Of course, if you owned the latest Apple hardware now, you can't use the same types of wired headphones on all the devices without an adapter. Hell, you can't even connect your iPad or iPhone to your brand new MBP since the included cable isn't compatible without a goddamn dongle.

I'm still using quite a lot of Apple gear because as much as I'd like to throw my money behind someone else, I still prefer the user experience and synergies across the different hardware. But as I need to replace my existing gear, it's becoming less and less likely that the replacement will come from Apple unless there are some serious changes in their philosophy.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Not surprised in the slightlest. When has Apple ever implemented any sort of solution that doesn't try to keep the customer firmly locked into the Apple ecosystem? This general mentality has really worn away a lot of my affinity for the company and brand. For example, how great would it be for the consumer to be able to use one charging/connectivity solution (USB-C) across all their gear? One type of charging plug, one type of cable. Of course, if you owned the latest Apple hardware now, you can't use the same types of wired headphones on all the devices without an adapter. Hell, you can't even connect your iPad or iPhone to your brand new MBP since the included cable isn't compatible without a goddamn dongle.

I'm still using quite a lot of Apple gear because as much as I'd like to throw my money behind someone else, I still prefer the user experience and synergies across the different hardware. But as I need to replace my existing gear, it's becoming less and less likely that the replacement will come from Apple unless there are some serious changes in their philosophy.

To piggyback off your frustration, there has definitely been an ongoing shift in my tech life. I'm really interested in Chromebooks now -- just waiting for Google/OEMs to offer more premium and well-rounded options, some of which are starting to show in 2017 (Asus' latest Chromebook could be an awesome pick up during Black Friday or something).

As you know, my smartphone need has long been switched to Android. And my life has been better, easier.

Tablets are next. I find myself barely using my iPad. It's only still around because my tablet needs are far less demanding and therefore the shortcomings of the iPad (software, features, etc.) aren't as dramatically felt. And because of how Chromebooks are shaping up to be (tablet and laptop), this overlaps with...

Very soon, I can see my computers being replaced. Look at what Microsoft is doing, where Chromebooks are going. When compared to where MacBooks are going, I have to agree with you. And no updates to the Mac Pro yet? No Mac Mini (I have a Thunderbolt display. Would love to see a good update to the Mac Mini come up in the future). Apple also is dropping their wireless router line?

Hopefully Apple changes their philosophy on some of these things. In the meantime, my home is still comfortably all Mac, but when the next rounds of purchases come to update these technologies, yeah, I will certainly be exploring/researching other options in tandem to compare them with Apple's offerings -- there was a time where this would never be the case.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Here's another straw to add to the camel's back, nagware from Apple.

If you don't use icloud on your iPhone, it constantly pops up a message telling me I'm not using icloud. On a Mac, it constantly pops up a dialogue box asking for my icloud password.

You also get nagged by Apple about iOS updates. Constant nagging. And if you accidentally click update, better pray it doesn't lag or your apps/games still work. Example: BioShock for iOS.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
To piggyback off your frustration, there has definitely been an ongoing shift in my tech life. I'm really interested in Chromebooks now -- just waiting for Google/OEMs to offer more premium and well-rounded options, some of which are starting to show in 2017 (Asus' latest Chromebook could be an awesome pick up during Black Friday or something).

As you know, my smartphone need has long been switched to Android. And my life has been better, easier.

Tablets are next. I find myself barely using my iPad. It's only still around because my tablet needs are far less demanding and therefore the shortcomings of the iPad (software, features, etc.) aren't as dramatically felt. And because of how Chromebooks are shaping up to be (tablet and laptop), this overlaps with...

Very soon, I can see my computers being replaced. Look at what Microsoft is doing, where Chromebooks are going. When compared to where MacBooks are going, I have to agree with you. And no updates to the Mac Pro yet? No Mac Mini (I have a Thunderbolt display. Would love to see a good update to the Mac Mini come up in the future). Apple also is dropping their wireless router line?

Hopefully Apple changes their philosophy on some of these things. In the meantime, my home is still comfortably all Mac, but when the next rounds of purchases come to update these technologies, yeah, I will certainly be exploring/researching other options in tandem to compare them with Apple's offerings -- there was a time where this would never be the case.
My Wife's 2011 Macbook air is on its last legs but the unbelievable high prices on the new Macs is insane.. She wants a MAC but its so damn expensive its not even worth it I think. Apple needs to come down a bit considering I can get a perfectly capable windows 10 machine for 1/4 the price...

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My Wife's 2011 Macbook air is on its last legs but the unbelievable high prices on the new Macs is insane.. She wants a MAC but its so damn expensive its not even worth it I think. Apple needs to come down a bit considering I can get a perfectly capable windows 10 machine for 1/4 the price...

Agree. My 13" rMBP's battery is basically dead. I rather pay for the battery replacement than drop money for the new MBPs. The inconvenience of USB C-only ports is also another deterrent.

#courage indeed.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Agree. My 13" rMBP's battery is basically dead. I rather pay for the battery replacement than drop money for the new MBPs. The inconvenience of USB C-only ports is also another deterrent.

#courage indeed.
The issue on the air is the battery plus its performance has gotten quite bad...At one point she said "its acting like windows"

EDIT: And I will also add at how absurd it is that the 12 inch Macbook has a 480p camera..

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Sorry, but I think this horse has been beaten well dead already.

Those who are really interested in smartphones/mobile tech in general already know the reasons why Android users don't move to iOS and vice versa. We don't need to list it all again.
Generally... yes. However, there are some points that go against this:
1) I'm sure MR gets plenty of newcomers to either or both platforms, and even new to tech in general, so the same pros, cons, and features of both sides will be foreign to them
2) when the OP posted his reasons why he liked them, I don't see how that affects you. I don't mind when mac users keep droning on and on why they like Mac... security, ecosystem, preserve their privacy, better use-philosophy, "it's not Windows", less work than setting up (pure) Linux (like Red Hat or Ubuntu), etc.

The only thing that needs to be let go of here is trying to change the opinions of others. Only when we do that can the discussion of the pros and cons of various mobile OS's and devices become truly interesting and productive.
I for one love hearing meaningful discussions on the various tech tools I use for fun and for work, so perhaps MR has an "ignore" feature for your case?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I'll add another, I don't like needing Apple's permission to use my phone.

I'm talking about activation. Supposedly it's for security. When I buy a phone, I like to be able to use it right away. I don't like needing a valid SIM card to activate and I don't like needing to connect to Apple's servers before being able to use the phone.

This isn't a big deal for most people but I don't like it.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

FWIW, Best Buy is selling the 12" MacBook for $300 off today. Not sure what your wife's computing needs are but that pretty good. My wife is a physician who uses the first gen model and loves hers--when her practice manager advised she needs to switch to a Windows machine, she said only if you can provide something with as small a profile and as light. ;) That being said, she never connects any peripherals and her use doesn't require much horsepower.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
FWIW, Best Buy is selling the 12" MacBook for $300 off today. Not sure what your wife's computing needs are but that pretty good. My wife is a physician who uses the first gen model and loves hers--when her practice manager advised she needs to switch to a Windows machine, she said only if you can provide something with as small a profile and as light. ;) That being said, she never connects any peripherals and her use doesn't require much horsepower.
Mostly web browsing and word docs, nothing crazy.

She would be fine with it, I guess what bothers me is the 480p facetime camera... even for $1000 its a tough sell.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
This is a myth. I never had the "slow down over time" experience on any Android phone, even back in the Gingerbread days.
TBF, I've noticed slowdowns over time on my Samsung Galaxy s2, and Samsung Galaxy s4 over the 2 years each I've had them. Nothing major that it was a showstopper, but still noticeable. Restarting the phone would do the trick.

TBF again, I've heard from iPhone users that they get slowdowns in due time as well. Especially after updating iOS.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Mostly web browsing and word docs, nothing crazy.

She would be fine with it, I guess what bothers me is the 480p facetime camera... even for $1000 its a tough sell.

Does she use her computer to video chat much? I certainly understand if so but I'd wager most just use their phone considering it's pretty much always a better camera.

Not apologizing for Apple but my understanding is the thinness of the top panel is the limiting factor here. I'd wager most are probably fine with that trade off considering how thin and light the MB is--it's pretty amazing the overall size of it.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Does she use her computer to video chat much? I certainly understand if so but I'd wager most just use their phone considering it's pretty much always a better camera.

Not apologizing for Apple but my understanding is the thinness of the top panel is the limiting factor here. I'd wager most are probably fine with that trade off considering how thin and light the MB is--it's pretty amazing the overall size of it.
Thats the thing she doesnt use it much and wont care. Its just me with my principal thinking....o_O

Reactions: tbayrgs

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The single biggest argument against iPhones - the price!

This applies of cause also to the top Galaxy phones, however, there are plenty of much cheaper alternatives that work perfectly too. No point spending more than $250 for a phone.
Price was a big factor for me too. I wanted to stick with Android b/c I liked it over iPhones for my smartphone needs...

--File system
--micro SD card
--easy to transfer files from PC to phone and vice versa (plug and play USB, or through the micro SD card)
--a few games and apps not on iOS
--user replaceable battery
--widgets
--having a separate window that lists all of your apps vs. the apps on your home screen as shortcuts
--swipe for keyboard input
--variety of hardware (I use an LG G4, but was on Galaxy s2 and s4)
--back button
--can custom home buttons on LG G4
--double tap on screen to turn on and off device has been handy
--micro USB for charging means it's pretty universal (although TBF, Apple's lightning connector is fairly ubiquitous since the phones and other iDevices have been around en masse)

For pricing, I didn't know what the best iPhone you could get with 32GB of internal storage minimum, off contract 8 months ago. I don't know about these days either. Probably an Iph5s? But I also got into Android in the first place b/c they had screens larger than 4" (gs2, gs4, and LG G4 at 4.7", 5", and 5.5" respectively).

LG G4 was only $220 used. I dread the bootloading error, but thus far, things have worked out very well. I even got a spare battery and battery charging case for $20 at LG's site, on sale.

============================
Oh, also worth mentioning, I also use a few Apple devices...

Ipod Touch 5
I've had one since the IpT3. I didn't bother with the IpT6 since it still has the same, dinky 4" screen, and I wanted at least 4.7". In fact I've upgraded my IpT twice mainly for the upgrade to screen. This was originally supposed to replace my PDA (Palm Tungsten T3), but it failed there. I still kept it around as a gaming device even to this day. However, my IpT5 is running on 3.5 years. It's only a matter of time before the battery dies, and very few places will replace these batteries, if at all (they're glued on).

Ipad Air (1) - 128 GB, no cell
Sort of a "mid life crisis" purchase, but I'm now using this more and more for gaming. Larger screen is nice, not to mention better tech specs, but it also helps that this takes some heat off the IpT5 battery

Ipod Classic
The physical scroll wheel, and 80 GB of storage is nice (even though I've only used up about half of it thus far). And b/c Iphones now come in 256 GB capacities, ipod Classics should be even cheaper than ever since that was one of their advantages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.