Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I see a lot of pretty wealthy people here showing off screenshots of their confirmed order screens. There's a saying a fool and his money are soon parted.
I was looking at Bestbuy ad from 2015 and they had a $200 discount on the 15" MacBook Pro. I will wait for my discount now that I sold my 2014 MBP 15" last week for $1,300 before the Depreciation hit. A 14 or 15 MBP that could have sold last week for $1,500 won't get $700 now.

So if you don't have to rush and be first to flaunt a new gadget wait a few weeks. For Black Friday.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
I just don't think there will be a 200$ off.

How come a new machine can get a 200$ off after 1 month it's releases?

If somebody can tell us their experience on which it once happened before, please tell us.

Reactions: ABC5S

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Well, just like anything, it's all relative. Clearly, for you waiting is worth the possibility (and that's all it is) of a $200 discount (my money bets that it's excluded from these price cuts, AAPL controls pricing VERY tightly) and the chance that these machines will even be available (remember, these offers are also very often limited to stock on-hand), and given AAPL is quoting December for new orders already, well, hahaha, yeah right. Good luck on finding stock.

Even so, let's say they allow it and you place an order, you're not getting the machine until mid-December.

It is very easy for many to justify $200 to have a machine in service over that time. I've already ordered a fleet for my company because it just makes sense. I'm not going to wait on replacing machines with dying battery capacities, flaky displays, etc (and certainly not put more money into them) for the possibility of at some point saving $200 *maybe*.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who actually do real work on these machines, and aren't just "pretty wealthy people" buying them to have a toy!

I see a lot of pretty wealthy people here showing off screenshots of their confirmed order screens. There's a saying a fool and his money are soon parted.
I was looking at Bestbuy ad from 2015 and they had a $200 discount on the 15" MacBook Pro. I will wait for my discount now that I sold my 2014 MBP 15" last week for $1,300 before the Depreciation hit. A 14 or 15 MBP that could have sold last week for $1,500 won't get $700 now.

So if you don't have to rush and be first to flaunt a new gadget wait a few weeks. For Black Friday.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Maybe if there's like 10 MacBooks available on a worldwide basis. Isn't that how these discounts work? And people will run to the stores in hordes and end up with a lot of other garbage when they didn't get the discounted new MacBook.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands

Because a lot of people 'must have' the latest and greatest.
And others have been waiting for a new mac with new tech, struggling with their 6 to 8 year old machines.
And a couple jump on the bandwagon getting a little too excited, and probably have buyers regret tomorrow.
Buy it when YOU want to buy it, when YOU are happy with the configuration, and YOU can afford it (or need it).
Who cares what other people do :)

That said, I wish we had black friday in the Netherlands like you guys have in the US, or rather.. cyber monday.
We get maybe $20 off on some tech site, but nothing amazing like some of these I see. That said, I wouldn't want to be part of the group in front of wallmart and risk my life for $200 discount.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Amazon had a fire sale for $500 and $800 off. Why wait until Black Friday?

Besides, I don't want to have to wait in line in the freezing cold, get pepper sprayed, shot at, stabbed, robbed, trampled on, etc.

It's Thanksgiving night. Stay home in my pajamas, enjoying my turkey dinner, while watching America turn into a drama show on YouTube.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Hmmm... well.... do BTO ever get a Black Friday deal? I'm asking because that BTO upgrade to 460 GPU 4 Vram is a must have in my book.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most people want instant gratification, but there's the other factor, there may not be much if any of a discount.

Personally, last year when Apple updated the 5k iMac, I purposely waited for Black Friday to save some money and I'm happy I did :)

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
I hope that dongles/cables to fix the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C "issue" will have some nice deals though. I will line up all the accessory buying for the Black Friday.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

Because the 2015 MacBook Pros came out in the first half of the year. They'd already been on the market several months when Black Friday rolled around. This year, the first customers won't be getting their MacBook Pros until right before Thanksgiving.

If retailers want to discount the 2016 MBPs this early on to drive sales, that's their prerogative, but I personally think it's mental to discount them in any significant amount when you can price skim off the people who want the latest tech.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
You also have to factor in 2-4 weeks of being one of the only people at Starbucks with the newest MacBook Pro. Surely that's worth $200.

Reactions: UnluckyXIII

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Some have expendable income. Some purchase now and could care less about the savings. And personally, Black Friday has a lot of limitations and stock is typically limited. It's not always the best route, pending your local Best Buy.

SG.RX

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Southern California
At the moment, the only 15" MBPs Best Buy has available for preorder are the 8GB models, with a release date of "TBD". There's no indication that they will have sufficient stock to drive a BF sale by the 25th, much less be inclined to sell at a discount by that point.

I'd rather go through Apple and get exactly the configuration I want... not to mention the education discount and doubled Discover cashback is quite a bite more than $200 off at BB for me, and doesn't involve standing in a queue, or camping a website while it's 70% crippled by a major holiday sale.

bobbigre

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I'd rather go through Apple and get exactly the configuration I want... not to mention the education discount and doubled Discover cashback is quite a bite more than $200 off at BB for me, and doesn't involve standing in a queue, or camping a website while it's 70% crippled by a major holiday sale.[/QUOTE]

And Discover does Price Match for 90 days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.