Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
You have some serious problems with being patient. I wonder what you're like in rush hour traffic.

Just keep yer pants on and you'll find out later. Sheesh.

Not really. As a customer expecting that if a company says they are going to call and then don't... It tends to irritate.

Just need this info now so I can order and spend money. Not "later".

Also commando lol.

Reactions: japanime

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I'm pretty sure it's just a marketing thing. Nike paid Apple some large some of money to make a Nike branded Apple Watch so they could push the Nike+ app on to more people and collect of user fitness data. Throw in a cheap band and preinstall it with Nike bloat and call it a special addition; seems like a very smart business plan to me. I'd be shocked if the Nike Apple watch can do anything that the regular Apple watch can't do after installing the Nike+ app on it.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure who is paying who and who needs the other more... Notice that when Apple Watch debuted, it was marketed as a fashion item. So they connected their brand with Hermes.

Apple Watch Series 2 is marketed more as a activity gadget. And so the cooperation with Nike helps them a lot to convince people to that vision.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm pretty sure it's just a marketing thing. Nike paid Apple some large some of money to make a Nike branded Apple Watch so they could push the Nike+ app on to more people and collect of user fitness data. Throw in a cheap band and preinstall it with Nike bloat and call it a special addition; seems like a very smart business plan to me. I'd be shocked if the Nike Apple watch can do anything that the regular Apple watch can't do after installing the Nike+ app on it.
Actually Nike and Apple share board members including Tim Cook. Apple also acquired a lot of Nike's fitness and health properties and people including Jay Blahnik.

So if anything it is probably the other way around and Apple is paying Nike a licensing fee for the use of the Nike branding.

ipadded

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I first had a Space Gray Gen 1 Apple watch and traded it in for one in Silver.

I've sold my Silver and going back to Space Gray Nike +!

Last edited:

buzzcfc

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
For the past 3 years I've been running using a Nike+ TomTom watch. If I switch to this will I still keep all my previous data on Nike+?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I just placed my order for Best Buy on a 42mm Nike Silver and white watch(399) plus an additional discounted Midnight Blue sports band ($30). I had a $288 gift card, I have it no more. It shows ship buy 11/11/16, I hope it comes sooner.

I went to the apple store today to compare 38/42 watches. I liked the 42 feel better for me. I spoke with an associate and she felt strongly that the watch can function the same as the sports addition and that the Nike + app needed to be started for it to be in action, otherwise it would use the Apple Health App.

We shall see, looking forward for my first apple watch.

Reactions: dmanthony1

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....I went to the apple store today to compare 38/42 watches. I liked the 42 feel better for me. I spoke with an associate and she felt strongly that the watch can function the same as the sports addition and that the Nike + app needed to be started for it to be in action, otherwise it would use the Apple Health App.

We shall see, looking forward for my first apple watch.
If running much the 42mm's larger battery will be a BIG plus. Many have had problems with the battery not lasting all day on the 38mm using the Workout app for a couple of hours. GPS can only make this more prevalent (though we don't know the size of the battery yet).

Another plus it is easer to see a larger screen, especially on the move and in sunlight the 1000 nit display will 'shine'.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
If running much the 42mm's larger battery will be a BIG plus. Many have had problems with the battery not lasting all day on the 38mm using the Workout app for a couple of hours. GPS can only make this more prevalent (though we don't know the size of the battery yet).

Another plus it is easer to see a larger screen, especially on the move and in sunlight the 1000 nit display will 'shine'.
That makes me sad, I have small wrists, I really wanted to stay with 38mm but I really want it to be my exercise watch too and I just started biking. For gym workouts, those are 120 minutes max for me, but battery may push me to try the 42mm.

dmanthony1

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Trevor Edwards at the Apple Watch Nike+ announcement: "And if you prefer, you can just tell Siri to start a run, and off you go. It's that simple."

[doublepost=1473644148][/doublepost]This video seems to show an Apple employee talking through the Nike+ edition. At the 4 second mark she says there are two different Watch faces that come with the Nike+.

Unfortunately for the overly cautious, she didn't swipe through to different Watch faces.

But this next one does.

At around the 18 sec mark he swipes right to reveal what seems to be the Photo or Photo Album Watch face, followed by the Modular. You can't tell for sure if there's a Nike Complication in the Modular, but the Photo/Photo Album Watch face only shows time and Apple Music:

Just order your Apple Watch Nike+ already!!

:D

I've got mine ordered and will adapt to the system. I honestly can't see Apple having the Nike edition lacking any of the features of the regular AW2. I'm assuming the extras are "extra". The black/neon band looks amazing and I love the riveted design for heat dispersion.
[doublepost=1473728478][/doublepost]
Well, I wouldn't be so sure who is paying who and who needs the other more... Notice that when Apple Watch debuted, it was marketed as a fashion item. So they connected their brand with Hermes.

Apple Watch Series 2 is marketed more as a activity gadget. And so the cooperation with Nike helps them a lot to convince people to that vision.

Tim is on Nike's board. I see it as mutually beneficial for the partnership. Nike gets way more exposure and Apple gets help achieving more sales. A win-win in my book.

rishiomedia

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
Slightly off topic, but Steve Jobs talks about why he loves Nike in the video below and I think it explains why Apple partners with Nike:

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
I wish they had of added a Black SS option for the Nike+ watch. I run with my Black SS, it doesn't feel heavy, the saphire screen is tough and doesnt scratch, no way I'm going for the Alloy or ion-x screen.

I so hoping that you'll be able to order the volt watch bands, they look awesome! What happens if you damage you band and want a replacement or want to have a second band?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I wish they had of added a Black SS option for the Nike+ watch. I run with my Black SS, it doesn't feel heavy, the saphire screen is tough and doesnt scratch, no way I'm going for the Alloy or ion-x screen.

I so hoping that you'll be able to order the volt watch bands, they look awesome! What happens if you damage you band and want a replacement or want to have a second band?

It's not a heavy object in general, but the difference between the aluminum model and steel model is pretty substantial. It may not be a deal breaker for your average runner, but Nike isn't marketing a luxury running watch as much as it is a fitness focused one.

Although I agree with you, I may get a nike band too, if they're released stand alone.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK

Out of interest if there was a black stainless version 2 watch, would you wear it for an obstacle assault course race?

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Did anyone of you already order Nike+ (I saw yes), what is the status in the order? Is there delivery date like 4-7 weeks or how does it looks like?

I only ordered it a few days ago, says ships late October.

VSLRA

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Czech republic, Czech Budweis
OK, in Czech Republic its possible to place pre-orders starting 23.9., so I have to wait. I want to get black band with grey holes. It is interesting to me, why there is so long delivery time, hopefully it will be shipped in mid of October (same for Powerbeats3).

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Did anyone of you already order Nike+ (I saw yes), what is the status in the order? Is there delivery date like 4-7 weeks or how does it looks like?

I ordered mine form Best Buy a few days ago because I had a gift card. It shows delivery by 11/11/16

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I dropped my gold sport watch onto concrete at a sporting event. I was so intent on filming my daughter's game that I didn't realize i forgot to put it back on after applying sunscreen, so when I pulled something else out of my pocket the watch fell and I didn't realize it for awhile. It got trampled by a few people before my husband noticed it on the ground.

There are a couple of small pinprick gouges on the aluminum and a small scuff on the screen that's sort of buffed itself out over time. So my 38 mm sport was a lot tougher than I was expecting it to be. I wonder if the more brittle sapphire screen would have shattered.

I had originally opted for stainless steel thinking the sport would not survive my landscaping hobby. But this time I'm not going to hesitate getting a Sport. I'm really interested in the Nike watches. I think the perforated band is going to be so comfortable. I already have grown to love my sport bands. Holy bands will rock! Holey. Autocorrect doesn't like the word "holey". :rolleyes:

Good question about replacements

Oh talk about timing. I was just about to type in that I don't run. Then this thing scuttled across my kitchen floor.

image.jpeg

I guess under the right circumstances I DO run! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

dmanthony1

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Mine still says "Processing order" and "Ships late October"

WombatWattBike

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Cardiff, Wales - UK
I was going to order a regular 42 but as i couldn't order to arrive this week I've decided I can wait another month to get the Nike+ watch. Makes sense as I'll be using it a lot for training so the band really works for me both in style and design.

WombatWattBike

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Cardiff, Wales - UK
I like the bands but I am not a runner, I walk a lot and do an elliptical. I am not sure if I want Nike+ keeping track of my activity and pushing me to go do something. I would probably just use the health app. I wonder if you will be able to disable the Nike + notifications or tracking? And use what ever health app you want.
I'm hoping you can switch off the "get off your backside lardy" and just use it when you want to use it. I train 6 days a week and don't need or want that reminder!!!

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I'm hoping you can switch off the "get off your backside lardy" and just use it when you want to use it. I train 6 days a week and don't need or want that reminder!!!

This. I am holding off ordering for a while until we know exactly what the watch can do. The 3.0 update to my gen 1 watch has made it into a beast of a piece of tech so I am more than happy to hang on until absolutely compelled to upgrade.

This must be the first update in history to an apple device that hasn't "accidentally" crippled it forcing you to buy the new one. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.