Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I also ordered the the nike version. Currently use a garmin wanted something i could leave the phone at home and wear bluetooth headphones with. I don't mind waiting the extra time as that will allow for reviews to be done on how accurate the GPS is. If the GPS is garbage then i can cx or take it back.

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I ordered the Nike AW a few minutes into preorders and it says available end of October. What's with the super long delay? this sucks.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
If you had your mind set on either the Silver or Space Grey Watch Series 2 with Sport Band, why not get the Nike+ version for the same price? Yes, I understand it won't ship for a month+, but I already have the original Watch, and plenty of time before Christmas.

It may be easier to buy other bands later rather than trying to source the Nike+ version.

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
I talked to an Apple Store Employee:
Nike+ Apple watch has 2 additional Nike+ Watchfaces and Nike+ App preinstalled.
Everything else is the same, means you are not restricted.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I'm considering buying an Apple Watch now that it has GPS. I do run and the Nike+ one looks pretty cool. My only problem is that it looks like it is restricted to only the Nike watch faces. Is this true?

No way it is restricted. That's not the way Apple Watch works. You'll get additional contents from partners that you won't otherwise get from generic Apple Watch, that's all.

Reactions: schneckc

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
If you had your mind set on either the Silver or Space Grey Watch Series 2 with Sport Band, why not get the Nike+ version for the same price? Yes, I understand it won't ship for a month+, but I already have the original Watch, and plenty of time before Christmas.

It may be easier to buy other bands later rather than trying to source the Nike+ version.

Too many unanswered questions. Like whether or not the notifications software will be exclusive? What's the deal with the permanent complications?

Also the bungled functionality of the new Nike run club app really gives me pause.

Reactions: DocMultimedia

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also the bungled functionality of the new Nike run club app really gives me pause.
That too gives me some serious pause.

I was watching the latest MacBreak Weekly pod cast and they had someone on talking about the Apple watch, and specifically the nike edition. This person happened to be an avid runner and he was not really sold on apple watch for serious runners (as he saw them), and more so for the Nike flavor. They made it a point to mention how annoying the reminders will turn out to be.

I guess for those of us who run, do we really need to be prodded to go out for a run?

As for my running style, I'm generally a solo runner, I enjoy the quiet and solitude of a running alone, and that's another aspect I think where the nike watch doesn't fit my needs. I don't need to know or care of "John Smith" is ahead of me and if I push harder I could over take him.

I'm still intrigued by the nike edition, but as I peel back the onion and see what it actually gives me, I'm less enthusiastic then I was at the keynote.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015

I was watching the latest MacBreak Weekly pod cast and they had someone on talking about the Apple watch, and specifically the nike edition. This person happened to be an avid runner and he was not really sold on apple watch for serious runners (as he saw them), and more so for the Nike flavor. They made it a point to mention how annoying the reminders will turn out to be.

I guess for those of us who run, do we really need to be prodded to go out for a run?

As for my running style, I'm generally a solo runner, I enjoy the quiet and solitude of a running alone, and that's another aspect I think where the nike watch doesn't fit my needs. I don't need to know or care of "John Smith" is ahead of me and if I push harder I could over take him.

I'm still intrigued by the nike edition, but as I peel back the onion and see what it actually gives me, I'm less enthusiastic then I was at the keynote.
Very well said on each section. I wonder if the delay for the Nike Watch is time for them to make the app actually work well? If I was a dedicated or serious runner, I would not need a reminder.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Too many unanswered questions. Like whether or not the notifications software will be exclusive? What's the deal with the permanent complications?

I seriously doubt the Complications are "permanent". I do believe however there may be some exclusivity with Nike Watch faces similar to the Hermès Editions for specific Nike+ Watches. It's in Nike's interest to have as many Nike enthusiasts, so there would continually be apps regardless if you have other Apple Watches.

Same can be said for the Watch's Activity Rings.

I didn't think Trevor's pitch precluded anyone from having the app just to track your runs on your own. Even the "training partner" to me sounded like the Watch itself rather than someone else on two legs.

Still, the way I look at it is the Nike+ Edition doesn't cost any more than a regular Watch Sport with Sport Band. It seems to include an extra app/complication/Face, and I do like the band.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
I am not a runner but I love the band. Could I "turn off" any Nike apps I don't want so it's just like regular Apple Watch?

Reactions: 5105973

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Come on...do you really think Apple is going to release a crippled Apple watch? Its has complications to match the band style. Its the same price as the normal watch.

Reactions: ohio.emt

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I like the bands but I am not a runner, I walk a lot and do an elliptical. I am not sure if I want Nike+ keeping track of my activity and pushing me to go do something. I would probably just use the health app. I wonder if you will be able to disable the Nike + notifications or tracking? And use what ever health app you want.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Still, the way I look at it is the Nike+ Edition doesn't cost any more than a regular Watch Sport with Sport Band. It seems to include an extra app/complication/Face, and I do like the band.

Yes, it comes down to taste and usage. If you intend to use this primarily for running, the perforated Nike Sports Band will definitely be better (persperation). It remains to be seen if the complication/Face is available to regular Watch Sport.

I'm guessing the delay to October has less to do with fixing the Nike Run app, but more to do with marketing and the exclusivity agreement. The focus on the release date will be on the Apple brand. A month later, the Nike brand can have some of the limelight.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

That's how I look at it, too. I'm not a runner, but I like the looks of the Nike band, and I already have a regular sports band that came with my first gen watch. Might as well get a second gen with a different band. I don't know if I'd use the Nike faces, but having that option would be interesting.

Reactions: broadbean

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
just went to Apple Store and asked about the Nike watch. She literally went to a computer and pulled up the website and just read off of Apple's website. Thanks for the help!!

Reactions: broadbean

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
just went to Apple Store and asked about the Nike watch. She literally went to a computer and pulled up the website and just read off of Apple's website. Thanks for the help!!
Sounds like you met a standard retail employee and not an Apple nerd/hobbyist.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Its just an Apple Watch Series 2... with Nike lipstick

- Special Nike branded watch faces with Nike Run Club complication/shortcut
- Special Nike Sport Band

ANY Apple Watch can have the Nike Run Club complication if the app makes it available...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.