Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I have to say some people really think apple will continue to sell tons of of idevices till the end of days lol these company is run by profit, apple was nothing 6-7 years ago :) and hes baby (iOS) is getting serious competition, ios6 and the iphone 5 design have proven they dont know what to do next ! Honestly i expect ios7 to be the same as ios6 just that it will run pretty ****** on my 4s and random new feature will not work for some "special" reason, if whe go by apple previous release cycle whe know next year the same iphone 5 with a small spec bump (probably in camera) and a better job/fix to the anodizing its coming, what makes people think people will jump on that ? Sure i did for the 4s but only for the 64gb option :eek: android is a far more superior OS with better options and it only continues to get better and better and manufactures are doing the same.

With Scott Forstall out and Craig with Jonny Ive taking over iOS interface and development, I am willing to bet iOS 7 will look and feel quite a bit different than the previous six versions. Its clear that Apple is starting to pander to more of their users with the addition of a mini iPad and a larger iPhone 5. iOS has become stale, we know it and Apple knows it. I think some big changes are coming to iOS 7.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
what are you smoking? Your claims are completely false and the numbers show it. The S3 might have outsold the 4S last quarter, but its total sales are completely dwarfed by 4S sales. Projected iPhone 5 sales alone also completely trump any other phone's rest of the year projections.

I don't think you know the numbers. Might want to check 2012 Q1 sales, then Q2, then Q3 and finally Q4. In graph form it looks like this:
World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales_Share.png

See that huge dip at the right of the chart? That is what it looks like when you sell 30% fewer phones from the beginning of the year to the end. I'm not sure where you went to school, but the numbers support my position.

And yes, the year and a half old 4S has sold more than the 6 month old S3. Duh. We could also say the S3 sales have dwarfed iphone 5 sales. Again, I would say "Duh".

And you really want to use "projected" numbers to defend what many consider lackluster sales on Apples part? Why not explain why Apple refuses to give out current sales figures for the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5. I can tell you why; to prevent further stock depreciation. Sales performance for the ipad 4 and mini are likely very, very embarrasing. If Apple does put out sales figures for the iphone and ipad lines, the will spin it so only 'total' sales are given for all ipads and all iphones, but they won't break it down by individual product lines. Just watch and see.

By the way, 'projected' sales of Samsung smartphones is expected to be nearly 70million this quarter alone. That equals all Apple sales from Q2 to Q4 last year. And you know what that means? Absolutely nothing. Anyone can project any numbers they want. It is called stock manipulation by analysts and they do it all the time.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
With Scott Forstall out and Craig with Jonny Ive taking over iOS interface and development, I am willing to bet iOS 7 will look and feel quite a bit different than the previous six versions. Its clear that Apple is starting to pander to more of their users with the addition of a mini iPad and a larger iPhone 5. iOS has become stale, we know it and Apple knows it. I think some big changes are coming to iOS 7.

Thats the problem, theres nothing they can do ! They give very little or non system wide access to apps/developers and theres no reason to think they are going to be open to UI custom by the user anytime soon, the whole iOS deal is based on apps, that means the grids of icons based UI will stay the same on ios7; again doubt very much they will open up for third party developers and user UI changes.

Jonny Ive will just change up the UI and nothing more, what was hes roll on apple in the past ? Thats your answear in regards to what he might do, they made the ipad mini to eat nexus 7 market and the iphone 5 in no way caters to big screen users.

If whe go by osx lion and mountain lion, i dont have much hope on ios7 and if i dont see changes and not in regards of UI the ipad 2 i have will be the last idevice in my house, allready waiting for shipping of my nexus 4.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Thats the problem, theres nothing they can do ! They give very little or non system wide access to apps/developers and theres no reason to think they are going to be open to UI custom by the user anytime soon, the whole iOS deal is based on apps, that means the grids of icons based UI will stay the same on ios7; again doubt very much they will open up for third party developers and user UI changes.

Jonny Ive will just change up the UI and nothing more, what was hes roll on apple in the past ? Thats your answear in regards to what he might do, they made the ipad mini to eat nexus 7 market and the iphone 5 in no way caters to big screen users.

If whe go by osx lion and mountain lion, i dont have much hope on ios7 and if i dont see changes and not in regards of UI the ipad 2 i have will be the last idevice in my house, allready waiting for shipping of my nexus 4.

Your last paragraph is how many people are feeling. I paid to upgrade my 2010 iMac 27" to Mountain Liin expecting my 18 month old computer to be able to do Air Mirroring to my ATV 2 or 3. Nope. I was SOL. The last ATV update also wiped my ATV2 so all I could get is a black screen. And this was not the first update Apple screwed up for ATV owners. And it only took them a fee years to allow owners of their product to be "allowed" to move icons around! How kind they were for that. And I don't bother jailbreaking ATV's for Plex. Most people don't bother because the ATV sucks. I have just switched to Roku devices and love them. Amazing how easy it is to get Plex on there and it a tually stays connected to my Mac. ATV's are hit and miss.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I don't think you know the numbers. Might want to check 2012 Q1 sales, then Q2, then Q3 and finally Q4. In graph form it looks like this:

See that huge dip at the right of the chart? That is what it looks like when you sell 30% fewer phones from the beginning of the year to the end. I'm not sure where you went to school, but the numbers support my position.

Thats because everyone knew the 5 was coming out, so who in their right mind would go buy a year old iPhone 4s in Q3? The 5 is on pace to sell over 50 million units by Dec. In comparison, the Galaxy S3 needed six months just to sell 30 million. When the Q4 numbers are out, I am sure the iPhone 5 will have doubled the overall sales of the S3 just in its first quarter (Q4) Of course Android's overall sales will eclipse Apple's. There are well over 70 Android phones being sold right now and only one iPhone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
There are well over 70 Android phones being sold right now and only one iPhone.

iPhone 4.
iPhone 4s.
iPhone 5.

Going by that logic, there is only one "Galaxy" being sold, despite....
Galaxy S II.
Galaxy S III.
Galaxy S III Mini.
Galaxy Nexus.
Galaxy Note.
Galaxy Note II.
Galaxy Ace.
Galaxy Ace II.
Galaxy Y.
(the list goes on.....)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've only started hearing about this fragmentation business since a few years ago. It's funny, but I don't recall anyone screaming fragmentation about all the different Windows machines. Or the thousands of flip phones before smartphones came around. I guess some people just like to spread FUD. And to be honest, more often than not, it's people who use Apple products spreading this FUD.

No no no my friend. You're missing Michael's vision.

As a developer, he deals with the daily slog of writing and testing Android applications over 4000 phones, installing his glorious application on each phone, testing it extensively and then bugfixing the 3999 handsets which won't run his app.

Some of these handsets aren't even CDMA compatible would you believe it AND they lack LTE? :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

What a fetid mess of a platform. I've now seen the light, have you?

I'm glad he's around to put us fools right. I really am.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I've only started hearing about this fragmentation business since a few years ago. It's funny, but I don't recall anyone screaming fragmentation about all the different Windows machines

Thats because when Windows releases a new version of its OS, everyone with a Windows PC is able to upgrade to it at the same time. If it were like it is with Android phones, people would never buy a Windows machine. It would be like the new Dell model getting Windows 8 right away while all others were stuck on Vista for awhile not able to upgrade and those 8 month old Toshibas running XP won't ever be upgraded to Windows 8 and don't even ask about the Acer models :p See the difference?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
No no no my friend. You're missing Michael's vision.

As a developer, he deals with the daily slog of writing and testing Android applications over 4000 phones, installing his glorious application on each phone, testing it extensively and then bugfixing the 3999 handsets which won't run his app.

Some of these handsets aren't even CDMA compatible would you believe it AND they lack LTE? :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

What a fetid mess of a platform. I've now seen the light, have you?

I'm glad he's around to put us fools right. I really am.

He probably thinks developers need to make separate apps for LTE and non-LTE phones.:D

His wealth of knowledge regarding Android certainly is astounding.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
He probably thinks developers need to make separate apps for LTE and non-LTE phones.:D

His wealth of knowledge regarding Android certainly is astounding.

Well, it only took him owning 8 Android phones to know what the situation was with Android and updates.

Who's not going to hang on every last word of someone who is so switched on? Me? I'm all ears! :cool:

Can someone tell me why Siri isn't working on my iPhone or iPad out of interest? :confused: I've installed iOS 6.0.1 on it and everything, can't get it to work. :eek:

I've got Android 4.2 on my Nexus 4 and 7 and all they both work exactly the same with the same features. I'd have thought that Apple would have been the same given their superiority.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Thats because when Windows releases a new version of its OS, everyone with a Windows PC is able to upgrade to it at the same time. If it were like it is with Android phones, people would never buy a Windows machine. It would be like the new Dell model getting Windows 8 right away while all others were stuck on Vista for awhile not able to upgrade and those 8 month old Toshibas running XP won't ever be upgraded to Windows 8 and don't even ask about the Acer models :p See the difference?

That has nothing to do with what I said. You raised the point about 4000 Android devices. Well the developers still only develop their app for Android. It's not like they have to develop it for each of those 4000 devices.

Also, upgrading to a new version of Windows isn't exactly an easy process if you have a lot of software. And with Android, I can still get the latest update. Root and flash a new ROM. It really isn't that different from upgrading Windows.

BTW, I see you didn't discredit my comment about you spreading FUD. I don't even know what your comments are about. Sometimes you start ranting about the N4 not having LTE. Other times you're ranting about fragmentation. You know, no one is forcing you to use Android.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Well, it only took him owning 8 Android phones to know what the situation was with Android and updates.

Who's not going to hang on every last word of someone who is so switched on? Me? I'm all ears! :cool:

Can someone tell me why Siri isn't working on my iPhone or iPad out of interest? :confused: I've installed iOS 6.0.1 on it and everything, can't get it to work. :eek:

I've got Android 4.2 on my Nexus 4 and 7 and all they both work exactly the same with the same features. I'd have thought that Apple would have been the same given their superiority.

Which iPhone and iPad do you have? The nexus 4 and 7 are brand new devices. The iPhone 5 and iPad mini both feature Siri and work exactly the same. Does the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab feature Android 4.2 and Google Now?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Which iPhone and iPad do you have?

Looks down at sig..... :eek:

The nexus 4 and 7 are brand new devices. The iPhone 5 and iPad mini both feature Siri and work exactly the same. Does the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab feature Android 4.2 and Google Now?

Why do I care about the Galaxy S II or Galaxy tab? :confused: EDIT: If you wan't those ceatures do desperately, go for it! http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

My Galaxy Nexus launched without Google Now or Android 4.2 but were promptly bought up to feature parity with my "brand new" Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.

My iPhone 4 and iPad 2 launched with Google Maps and was downgraded to Apple Maps. Apple are deliberately holding back features that my phone and tablet are perfectly capable of using. What an asshat move by Apple.

Google have been far more forthcoming when it comes to adding features to old hardware (my GNex even got photosphere but I'm left with my iPhone lacking panorama mode).

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Thats because everyone knew the 5 was coming out, so who in their right mind would go buy a year old iPhone 4s in Q3? The 5 is on pace to sell over 50 million units by Dec. In comparison, the Galaxy S3 needed six months just to sell 30 million. When the Q4 numbers are out, I am sure the iPhone 5 will have doubled the overall sales of the S3 just in its first quarter (Q4) Of course Android's overall sales will eclipse Apple's. There are well over 70 Android phones being sold right now and only one iPhone.

Please show one single source that shows any iphone 5 sales data past the opening weekend. You can't. Apple won't publish any. You can pretend and make up numbers all you want, but its all in your head. Not in reality.

And do you really believe people stopped buying the iphone 4S six months before the iphone 5? Never in the history of the iphone did we see people stop buying iphones 6 months prior to a new release. By your logic, people will stop buying iphone 5's in Feb,in anticipation of the iphone 6 in Oct 2013. Does that really make sense to you?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Please show one single source that shows any iphone 5 sales data past the opening weekend. You can't. Apple won't publish any. You can pretend and make up numbers all you want, but its all in your head. Not in reality.

And do you really believe people stopped buying the iphone 4S six months before the iphone 5? Never in the history of the iphone did we see people stop buying iphones 6 months prior to a new release. By your logic, people will stop buying iphone 5's in Feb,in anticipation of the iphone 6 in Oct 2013. Does that really make sense to you?

I really wouldn't bother asking this truser about sources given his fact pulling out of an orifice history.

Samsung makes most of their money off their TVs, computers, washers and dryers, stoves, microwaves...not $50 Android phones given away when you buy another one. The Galaxy line are their only high end phones. The other 20 or so models they make are bargain basement garbage phones priced so low they probably lose money on them. Same goes for LG. My 55 inch LG TV is made much better than any LG phone I have ever held. HTC is in the toilet financially. So no, I cant see any Android manufacturer coming anywhere close to the money Apple makes off the iPhone.

Its been posted numerous times, even in here I believe. Its in a couple of the threads regarding Apple suing Samsung. Some people were saying it didnt matter much because they make most their money off appliances and not their phones with links to articles on how Samsung makes their profits. You go look it up if you want to read it so bad, I have already seen it :)

Michael.

2012: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/26/samsung-galaxy-profit-shares
Strong sales of Galaxy phones propelled Samsung's quarterly profits to a record high, but its shares dropped on the prospect that its growth will slow in an increasingly crowded smartphone market.

2011: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16441330
South Korean technology giant Samsung says it made record profits in the last three months of 2011 - up more than 70% on the previous year.

That is largely thanks to booming sales of its smartphones.

I'm not saying The Guardian or The BBC are more credible than good old michalejohn, but could you please share these financial results which were not helped by Samsung's strong phone sales?

I would have thought you would have had a few quote notifications from people asking for clarification so here is another one. :)

Can you deliver?

Not a peep on where he got the "facts " above anywhere (I've looked with no luck). :(

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Which iPhone and iPad do you have? The nexus 4 and 7 are brand new devices. The iPhone 5 and iPad mini both feature Siri and work exactly the same. Does the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab feature Android 4.2 and Google Now?

The Nexus 7 is just about 5 months old. The Galaxy S2 is a 1 year 9 month old device and the Galaxy Tab was announced at IFA 2010. The iPhone 5 is 2 months old, the mini is 1 month old. :confused:

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

Last report from Apple was 5 million sold in the first 3 days in Sept. I would guess you won't hear sales numbers from Q4 until its over and after the holidays. Its projected to sell around 50 million total by Dec by analysts. Thats my last post about it. Check out the topic of this thread, its about going back to iOS, not why I love Android so much. might want to get back on topic.

----------

The Nexus 7 is just about 5 months old. The Galaxy S2 is a 1 year 9 month old device and the Galaxy Tab was announced at IFA 2010. The iPhone 5 is 2 months old, the mini is 1 month old. :confused:

My point exactly. He was arguing his 2 year old Apple products didn't have the newest tech in iOS 6. Well, 2 year old Android products aren't even being updated anymore at all let alone getting any new features of the OS.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My point exactly. He was arguing his 2 year old Apple products didn't have the newest tech in iOS 6. Well, 2 year old Android products aren't even being updated anymore at all let alone getting any new features of the OS.

Nexus S - Gingerbread to Android 4.0 then on to 4.1 - No features cut from the update.
Galaxy Nexus - Android 4.0 to Android 4.2 - No features cut from the update.

For what I got out of the iOS6 update on my iPhone 4, I wouldn't have minded if Apple didn't bother really thanks to their stripping out features my phone is capable of.

They've got to give a compelling reason to upgrade I guess. :D I'm sure you'll justify it when Apple decide to drop features from a firmware update just because. Enjoy!

Will you ever provide a souce to any of your facts by the way? :confused:

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Nexus S - Gingerbread to Android 4.0 then on to 4.1 - No features cut from the update.
Galaxy Nexus - Android 4.0 to Android 4.2 - No features cut from the update

2 phones out of over 4,000 Android devices available right now, impressive numbers :rolleyes: Which phone outside of the Nexus line has 4.2 right now? Zero. Which phone outside of the Nexus line even has 4.1 right now? under 10...out of over 4,000. Yea, have fun with that :)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

And yes, the year and a half old 4S has sold more than the 6 month old S3. Duh. We could also say the S3 sales have dwarfed iphone 5 sales. Again, I would say "Duh".

And you really want to use "projected" numbers to defend what many consider lackluster sales on Apples part? Why not explain why Apple refuses to give out current sales figures for the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5. I can tell you why; to prevent further stock depreciation. Sales performance for the ipad 4 and mini are likely very, very embarrasing. If Apple does put out sales figures for the iphone and ipad lines, the will spin it so only 'total' sales are given for all ipads and all iphones, but they won't break it down by individual product lines. Just watch and see.

By the way, 'projected' sales of Samsung smartphones is expected to be nearly 70million this quarter alone. That equals all Apple sales from Q2 to Q4 last year. And you know what that means? Absolutely nothing. Anyone can project any numbers they want. It is called stock manipulation by analysts and they do it all the time.

I see what you did... my bad, it was a different thread you were spreading the lies in:

You do realize that the S3 has sold over 30 million by itself? And all iphones combined have been lucky to sell 26 million over the last two quarters. And Samsung is still supporting the Nexus and S2. The S will not be able to load 4.2 Jelly Bean though. Hardware is too outdated.

And here is something I found out about my 2010 27" iMac and 2010 MBP; Apple abondoned all 2010 and older Mac's in the latest Lion upgrade. Sure you can load it, but don't expect all the features to work. No Airplay mirroring for you. A less than 2 year old computer, already abandoned by Apple. But who cares,right? I mean, we should buy $2000+ computers from Apple every 18 months.

And then I replied w/ actual figures:

Biased and/or uniformed? GS3 only crossed 30 mil 1 month after Q3 ended. Total iPhone 4S sold/shipped from Q2 to Q3 is ~36 mil. Tack on 6 mil iPhone 5's in Q3. Total GS3 sold/shipped from Q2 to Q3 is 23 mil.

But if you're pooling all Android or all Samsung phones, guess I can't argue with you there... Yup they're definitely outselling iPhones! That Android marketshare is CRAZY! :rolleyes:

I guess since you only care about marketshare, you'll fail to realize that iPhone sales (ya if you chart in sales units) that they usually ramp down in Q3 before spiking in Q4 or in this year's case Q1.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
2 phones out of over 4,000 Android devices available right now, impressive numbers :rolleyes: Which phone outside of the Nexus line has 4.2 right now? Zero. Which phone outside of the Nexus line even has 4.1 right now? under 10...out of over 4,000. Yea, have fun with that :)

You keep demonstrating a lack understanding how Android works. You've taken some numbers and misconstrued some "facts" all in the name of berating the competition. It's clear you're not here to have any sort of discussion, and instead only interested in antagonizing and inciting argument.

Mods ought to keep an eye...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I don't need to have fun with 3999 other handsets as I only own one.

I do however own a needlessly crippled iPhone in an attempt by apple to push more expensive hardware. Going nexus for me has been flawless when it comes to feature parity and software updates.

Even my times with windows phone on the Samsung Omnia 7 and HTC Titan have been better than what apple have recently provided me when it comes to updates and features.

Do I like my iPad? Yeah, it keeps my daughter occupied with it's simplicity. Do I like my hardware being made obsolete just because? No, which is why I prefer Android and the nexus line of hardware over all others.

It's easily the best if having the latest software with all the features are important to you. You are obviously a man of compromise which is okay for you but I want more when it comes to my hardware and software.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I do however own a needlessly crippled iPhone in an attempt by apple to push more expensive hardware.

Android manufacturers and/or carriers have been intentionally crippling and/or holding back updates from older phones to push sales of newer phones for years. Shall we count all of the Android phones that have been abandoned well within a year they were released and never even saw ONE update? At least your iPhone still has an up to date OS...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Android manufacturers and/or carriers have been intentionally crippling and/or holding back updates from older phones to push sales of newer phones for years. Shall we count all of the Android phones that have been abandoned well within a year they were released and never even saw ONE update? At least your iPhone still has an up to date OS...

Have I not explained to you the hassle I had with orange UK and my HTC hero? I believe I have. I detest carrier branded handsets, you can quote me on that.

I also detest downgrading features on my hardware (apple maps) out intentionally leaving my hardware behind feature wise just because.

All I can say to you is that Google's support of my GSM nexus hardware has been beyond anything that apple have provided to my old iPhone 3g, my various iPod touches, my iPad 2 or my iPhone 4.

What good is a software update if it's in version number alone? Going by your thinking, Google could push out a slightly different looking version of gingerbread to the nexus one, add a couple of features, leave out the rest, call it android 4.2 and be done with it.... That'd be great! :cool:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Huh?? You bought and tried and S3 and complained how hard it was to get things on it and that is what I replied to.

What good is an iOS or google backup when switching platforms?

My point was that it was easier to setup my N4 from scratch than it is an iPhone.

Backing up can be done on either platform. On iOS I didn't even use it, to be frank. I always setup my iPhones as new when I bought a new one because I didn't want any unwanted settings coming back.

So you were forced to pay just for backup storage? And you like that? OK.

I still don't think you are getting it: those iOS backups are not accessible for grabbing files on demand from something else. Nor do they archive any other place. What good is post pc if you can't even save your videos someplace safe and permanent--without using a pc or mac? iOS backups have nothing to do with this aspect.

iCloud.com is a site if you shared with someone outside the walled garden.

Besides that android can copy all photos to Google+ automatically. They don't get deleted.

Far more sharing options than iOS, frankly.

Yea that is why I have been using it for nearly 5 1/2 years.

I still have an iPhone, iPad and ATVs, not to mention several macs.

That doesn't mean I could put up with the restrictions iOS imposed on me any longer. I'm not a child and do not need to re-correct a word 30 times just to make the OS understand that is how I want to spell it. Auto-correct has not improved one iota in iOS since it debuted in 2007 as iPhone OS. That is just one of many things I grew tired of in iOS.

Michael

----------

What is not clear is how much of that is due to inertia versus innovation. You can only go so far on inertia. Ask RIM.

Michael

Ok. You need to re read all my posts. I think you're arguing with the wrong person. I've never owned an S3 and the rest of your drivel makes no sense in relation to what I was saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.