Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
See that huge dip at the right of the chart? That is what it looks like when you sell 30% fewer phones from the beginning of the year to the end. I'm not sure where you went to school, but the numbers support my position.

Mmm, this graph doesn't say what you think it says.

Apple has not sold less phones, they have sold MORE phones than at beginning of the year but Android growth has been even greater so the dip in percentage, not in absolute numbers

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Mmm, this graph doesn't say what you think it says.

Apple has not sold less phones, they have sold MORE phones than at beginning of the year but Android growth has been even greater so the dip in percentage, not in absolute numbers

This is seriously amazing me how fee people seem to understand basic math.

Apple sales by quarter in 2012
Q1 - 37.5million
Q2 - 34 million
Q3 - 26 million
Q4 - 26 million (with help from the ip5)

Again, this is extremely simple math. Should not be hard to comprehend. And the graph says exactly what i said it does.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
And the graph says exactly what i said it does.

A percentage graph doesn't talk about ABSOLUTE numbers.

2011: A sold 20 million
B sold 20 million

Percentage of B: 50%

2012: A sold 80 million
B sold 40 million

Percentage B: 33%

B has sold more than the previous year and the percentage has dipped

And the YoY sales of iPhones has grown, but yes, the growth is below other years

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Watched the first video, and coming from a GSG3 to a 5.

Widgets are a lot less useful than people thing. Ok cool you can scroll through youtube videos via the youtube widget. However...rarely am I at a point in time where I watch youtube videos on a phone. Why would I watch a youtube video on the phone vs. the PC or through the tv?

Aside from widgets, which only a couple are useful daily, you still get a screen full of icons.

The Nexus phones don't have the latest and greatest hardware. The new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE natively. I personally think IOS needs a lot less hardware to run smooth, and that it does a lot better managing apps than Android. Mentioned in the video...but having 5 apps downloading stuff at the same time? Been using 'smartphones' for years and never ran into 'that'? You don't 'need' to close out previously opened apps with IOS because IOS doesn't allow them to bog down the phone. In Android you have to because it allows so many apps to run at the same time it takes up RAM and slows the phone down.

I know the video was made earlier this year...but sat here with a SGS3 and a 5 and the 5 was faster on everything from hitting the home button on the same apps to getting to the home screen, opening the camera app, ect.

At the end of the day its a phone that can do some cool stuff. Aside from a few things its way better to do this stuff on a computer. Yeah a smartphone is great for checking the weather, stocks, maps on the fly, calculator is handy, Pandora, ect. Some of these people make it sound like they do EVERYTHING on the phone and don't own a computer.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011

Widgets are a lot less useful than people thing. Ok cool you can scroll through youtube videos via the youtube widget. However...rarely am I at a point in time where I watch youtube videos on a phone. Why would I watch a youtube video on the phone vs. the PC or through the tv?

Aside from widgets, which only a couple are useful daily, you still get a screen full of icons.

The Nexus phones don't have the latest and greatest hardware. The new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE natively. I personally think IOS needs a lot less hardware to run smooth, and that it does a lot better managing apps than Android. Mentioned in the video...but having 5 apps downloading stuff at the same time? Been using 'smartphones' for years and never ran into 'that'? You don't 'need' to close out previously opened apps with IOS because IOS doesn't allow them to bog down the phone. In Android you have to because it allows so many apps to run at the same time it takes up RAM and slows the phone down.

I know the video was made earlier this year...but sat here with a SGS3 and a 5 and the 5 was faster on everything from hitting the home button on the same apps to getting to the home screen, opening the camera app, ect.

At the end of the day its a phone that can do some cool stuff. Aside from a few things its way better to do this stuff on a computer. Yeah a smartphone is great for checking the weather, stocks, maps on the fly, calculator is handy, Pandora, ect. Some of these people make it sound like they do EVERYTHING on the phone and don't own a computer.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I for one do use my phone for almost everything. When I owned an I phone I also used my laptop less buy there were certainly more occasions when what I wanted to do could not be carried out due to apple's limitations.
I think most people would rather do something on their phone due to convenience, rather than waiting for the computer to boot up. I'm not saying that my phone has replaced my computer, but it probably has replaced 90% of the tasks I used to use it for.
As for watching YouTube videos, I will view these on the phone - more often or not someone has posted something on Facebook so I'm not going to boot up my computer just to watch it when it displays perfectly well on my phone

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I for one do use my phone for almost everything. When I owned an I phone I also used my laptop less buy there were certainly more occasions when what I wanted to do could not be carried out due to apple's limitations.
I think most people would rather do something on their phone due to convenience, rather than waiting for the computer to boot up. I'm not saying that my phone has replaced my computer, but it probably has replaced 90% of the tasks I used to use it for.
As for watching YouTube videos, I will view these on the phone - more often or not someone has posted something on Facebook so I'm not going to boot up my computer just to watch it when it displays perfectly well on my phone

My laptop boots in less than 10 seconds. Only thing I really use my phone for when Im near a computer is twitter or check an email if Im watching a youtube video and don't want to pause it switch between tabs.

Now just watched the 2nd video, and you mentioned FB but I personally don't like the integration of social stuff into everything. I got rid of FB but do follow some people on twitter. Don't really have anything to say other than no matter what type of phone never cared a single instant about integrating the phone with FB.

Another thing he mentioned with the 'console games' on the phone. Do people really sit there with a blut tooth controller, and play games on their phone? Never once thought to do that, and after seeing it have no desire to do that. 4" or 5" screen or whatever the phone is no way Im sitting there with a controller playing a game on the phone. I have a PS3, and a gaming rig with an i7 3770k, Asus 660ti, and lots of other goodies into a 24" IPS Asus monitor. PS3 is hooked up to a 55" Samsung LED TV. My phone is the last thing I want to game on with a controller. Seems like he was going WAY out of his way to show something I literally laughed out loud at. Emulators have been around for ages on a computer, and I've never once thought I wish I could do that on my phone. Im someone who ran a Win 98 emulator to play Tie Fighter on.

Also have to laugh at the txt file through dropbox for a grocery list. Never done or thought to do that, either. Text works fine as does the old fashioned pen and paper. If the wife thinks of something else a text works.

Yeah Android has more options when it comes to phones. So what? How many of them are worth a damn? No interest in a slide out keyboard...and with that availability comes the bloatware and tweaks each manufacturer adds. The stock launcher on Adroid phones varies from company to company. The only way to get a 'real' Android phone is through Google, and I have no interest in owning a LG anything (like the current Nexus 4 which doesn't do LTE).

But yes in the end different strokes for different folks. Good and bad with both. If you want to tweak and endlessly play with your phone's OS and appearance while chasing the latest tech specs than get an Android, and deal with the negatives it brings. If you want simple to use, and well integrated phone and OS that gets updated on a timely basis get the iPhone.

Still laughing at pulling out the full size controller to play old games on tiny screen...

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
My laptop boots in less than 10 seconds. Only thing I really use my phone for when Im near a computer is twitter or check an email if Im watching a youtube video and don't want to pause it switch between tabs.

Now just watched the 2nd video, and you mentioned FB but I personally don't like the integration of social stuff into everything. I got rid of FB but do follow some people on twitter. Don't really have anything to say other than no matter what type of phone never cared a single instant about integrating the phone with FB.

Another thing he mentioned with the 'console games' on the phone. Do people really sit there with a blut tooth controller, and play games on their phone? Never once thought to do that, and after seeing it have no desire to do that. 4" or 5" screen or whatever the phone is no way Im sitting there with a controller playing a game on the phone. I have a PS3, and a gaming rig with an i7 3770k, Asus 660ti, and lots of other goodies into a 24" IPS Asus monitor. PS3 is hooked up to a 55" Samsung LED TV. My phone is the last thing I want to game on with a controller. Seems like he was going WAY out of his way to show something I literally laughed out loud at. Emulators have been around for ages on a computer, and I've never once thought I wish I could do that on my phone. Im someone who ran a Win 98 emulator to play Tie Fighter on.

Also have to laugh at the txt file through dropbox for a grocery list. Never done or thought to do that, either. Text works fine as does the old fashioned pen and paper. If the wife thinks of something else a text works.

Yeah Android has more options when it comes to phones. So what? How many of them are worth a damn? No interest in a slide out keyboard...and with that availability comes the bloatware and tweaks each manufacturer adds. The stock launcher on Adroid phones varies from company to company. The only way to get a 'real' Android phone is through Google, and I have no interest in owning a LG anything (like the current Nexus 4 which doesn't do LTE).

But yes in the end different strokes for different folks. Good and bad with both. If you want to tweak and endlessly play with your phone's OS and appearance while chasing the latest tech specs than get an Android, and deal with the negatives it brings. If you want simple to use, and well integrated phone and OS that gets updated on a timely basis get the iPhone.

Still laughing at pulling out the full size controller to play old games on tiny screen...

Tl;dr: I don't use these features on my phone. It is appalling that others do.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Ok. You need to re read all my posts. I think you're arguing with the wrong person. I've never owned an S3 and the rest of your drivel makes no sense in relation to what I was saying.
Then I guess you have even less understanding of the differences than I thought. I wish those who know little about Android would stick to iOS-only threads.

Michael

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I think widgets are pretty amazing for what they do. On my home screen I have an email widget, a calendar widget, a google voice widget for example. Which means that with a very quick glance I can see what emails, Gvoice messages and appointments I have very specifically, who it's from, what they said, when, etc etc, and not just one but several entries fit into the widget. Even with the pulldown in iOS I would still have to open each and every program individually. I think someone else put it best when they looked at the iOS weather icon and said wow it's always 73 degrees, lol.

I'm not an android fan boy though, I find it's lacking in many ways and it's give and take to compare it to iOS. I'm more of a windows fanboy and it blows them both away, at least on the tablet side, but I'm definitely up in the air between android and iOS, so I use them both.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada

This is exactly what I always try to tell people.. It's like the one time a day at most that I want to use youtube, I'll go to the app! the widget might save me one or two seconds, but is also probably hurting the battery. I always ended up using almost no widgets, because I found them to be hardly useful.

----------

I do think android WILL be the undisputed champion in a couple of years though. They've been improving exponentially relative to apple, and will likely continue to do so. Apple on the other hand will continue to take our money for huge profits and do great.

----------

In my last look at the Apple financial statements their return on sales was 26% and change. That means when I bought my macbook air yesterday for 1225, I gave apple's shareholders $320!! That's insane if you ask me, but hey, we're all willing to pay it right? :p

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Not really true. Touchwiz is just a launcher. You can replace it without sacrificing anything (except for widgets that came with it). The extra functions are in the ROM itself (e.g. smart stay, contacts, video player/popup play etc)

No. CheeseWiz (what I've taken to calling it after being screwed completely by Samsung) is not a launcher. It's spewed all over every bit of the OS. It can't be replaced without installing a buggy, incomplete AOSP ROM.

Widgets are a lot less useful than people think.

Yup. I spent two years on Android, widgets are a big waste of time. The only widget I ever found useful was the Calendar widget, and Apple has neatly added that functionality (seeing upcoming events) in the Notification Center.

The iPhone's home screen is vastly more customizable, productive, and efficient than Android's.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Yup. I spent two years on Android, widgets are a big waste of time . The only widget I ever found useful was the Calendar widget, and Apple has neatly added that functionality (seeing upcoming events) in the Notification Center.

The iPhone's home screen is vastly more customizable, productive, and efficient than Android's.

You thought widgets were a waste of time - I love widgets and have been using them for 4 years.

Also, how on earth do you believe iphone home screen is more customisable? Thats got to be one of the funniest statements ive heard on here!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
a5yhuvy5.jpg

kdarling

macrumors P6
2 phones out of over 4,000 Android devices available right now, ...

Just a couple of notes about that OpenSignal report of seeing "3,997 different" Android devices using their app:

• They marked each ROM id as a separate item. That includes custom ROMs. As they put it, "This partly explains why a staggering 1363 device models appear only once in our database." So up to a third of those supposedly unique devices might've simply had custom ROMs.

• Models. Quite a few "different" devices are actually the same hardware that comes marked with different brandnames. Others might just have different frequency bands. All would count as "different" devices in OpenSignal's total if they have any difference in their identification strings.

• They didn't mention how many were tablets vs. phones.

It still leaves quite a few different actual models, of course. Carry on.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Then I guess you have even less understanding of the differences than I thought. I wish those who know little about Android would stick to iOS-only threads.

Michael

Nothing to do with not understanding android. I've not said anything about the OS. I was just saying how easy it is to use icloud.

Jeez

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

You are the perfect Apple and iphone user. You view options, customization and freedom as superfluous to the Apple mantra of, "We know what is best for the customer". Any ideas not born from Apple's womb are to be villified and anyone that uses a device without an Apple on it should be ridiculed. It really is a cult-like mindset.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
You are the perfect Apple and iphone user. You view options, customization and freedom as superfluous

I keep hearing about how free and open Android is.

All I found were blocked updates, arbitrarily denied functions, locked this, closed that.

Android is open alright. But it's not open for consumers. It's open for carriers and OEMs to bend for their purposes. And their goals are generally not in line with consumers.

Just as Google designs it.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I keep hearing about how free and open Android is.

All I found were blocked updates, arbitrarily denied functions, locked this, closed that.

Android is open alright. But it's not open for consumers. It's open for carriers and OEMs to bend for their purposes. And their goals are generally not in line with consumers.

Just as Google designs it.

I think I've already had this same discussion with either you or someone else, so I'm not going to bother again. But I will ask you again how iOS is more customizable than Android.

I'll understand if you don't reply since it seems that you like to spread lies around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.