Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I agree with this. These tests are very unscientific and I'm sure vary greatly, even among the same device.

----------

Skip to 2:05 in this video, it shows the Android latency problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E406xXr4Mok

The iPhone is damn near 1:1.

That's what's preventing you from leaving iOS? Thanks for proving to everyone that you are nitpicking. I mean, if that's that important to you, all great, but that's the definition of nitpicking. Especially considering what you're trading off just to have that microscopic advantage.

You've said before that you're this close to switching to Android and that iOS has gotten stale. You've said iOS 6 hasn't brought any new innovations. You've also said you've never owned an Android device. Sorry Z. You've just disqualified yourself from being relevant in criticisms of Android. I feel bad for you that you're so clearly ready for more in an OS, but that obsession with that microscopic "delay" or "lag" as you all like to call it is preventing you from enjoying a more robust OS. Truly.

Also, I wouldn't scroll too fast on your iPhone: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Latest-Apple-iPhone-5-glitch-could-be-a-more-serious-problem_id36460

EDIT: Just finished watching the video. Good comparison.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
That's what's preventing you from leaving iOS? Thanks for proving to everyone that you are nitpicking. I mean, if that's that important to you, all great, but that's the definition of nitpicking. Especially considering what you're trading off just to have that microscopic advantage.

You've said before that you're this close to switching to Android and that iOS has gotten stale. You've said iOS 6 hasn't brought any new innovations. You've also said you've never owned an Android device. Sorry Z. You've just disqualified yourself from being relevant in criticisms of Android. I feel bad for you that you're so clearly ready for more in an OS, but that obsession with that microscopic "delay" or "lag" as you all like to call it is preventing you from enjoying a more robust OS. Truly.

Also, I wouldn't scroll too fast on your iPhone: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Latest-Apple-iPhone-5-glitch-could-be-a-more-serious-problem_id36460

EDIT: Just finished watching the video. Good comparison.

Dude, chill lol. You were the one who wanted to see the visual difference between the two. I'd never cling to iOS over this, just wanted to show others what iOS users are talking about and what Android try to argue is nonexistent. You're really overreacting...welcome back, though.

And yes, the whole comparison was very good.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Dude, chill lol. You were the one who wanted to see the visual difference between the two. You're really overreacting...welcome back, though.

Overreacting? Maybe. But I do feel bad that you're denying yourself what Android has to offer over that. Of course, it's your choice, obviously, but you've, once again, passed judgement on an Android device based on a video instead of experience.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The reason most people that have been using Apple for more than just a month or so return, is they've failed to do any research before they left.

Once used to how Apple operates, and the simple way things are done, they are dependent on Apple's conventions, practices and guidance.

Upon leaving, they find that things are different, they find that some learning is required along with an open mind.

That, in many cases is far too much to ask and they run right back to Apple as soon as they can afford it.

It's just as simple as that.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Overreacting? Maybe. But I do feel bad that you're denying yourself what Android has to offer over that. Of course, it's your choice, obviously, but you've, once again, passed judgement on an Android device based on a video instead of experience.

I've noticed it in Android phones...it's not like that video gave me the opinion. I'm not denouncing Android at all.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The reason most people that have been using Apple for more than just a month or so return, is they've failed to do any research before they left.

Once used to how Apple operates, and the simple way things are done, they are dependent on Apple's conventions, practices and guidance.

Upon leaving, they find that things are different, they find that some learning is required along with an open mind.

That, in many cases is far too much to ask and they run right back to Apple as soon as they can afford it.

It's just as simple as that.

Yup. Because of Android's very different business model, it's very possible to find a terrible Android device. Research goes a long long way.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Yup. Because of Android's very different business model, it's very possible to find a terrible Android device. Research goes a long long way.
You're absolutely right.

That's the beauty of choices. One has to take responsibility for themselves. They must do their research and get educated. Then and only then are they prepared to move forward. It's a lot more of a risk, and with risk comes fun. The reward of choosing wisely.

I have a full appreciation and obtain great enjoyment from _both_ Android and iOS. At the end of the day I wouldn't be caught without both.

They are each exemplary at what they do best. Using both, is a perfect opportunity to stay abreast of what's happening with two of the most significant mobile computing and communications devices of our time.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Quality, IMO, should be measured in how long a phone lasts when properly taken care of. If you are prone to dropping your phone (and you know who you are), either get insurance, a lifeproof (or similar) case, or both.

Agreed. And to look at it another way, durability does not automatically equal quality (and vice-versa).

Even a top-quality automobile like a Mercedes-Benz or Audi will fail if you drive it over a cliff.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You're absolutely right.

That's the beauty of choices. One has to take responsibility for themselves. They must do their research and get educated. Then and only then are they prepared to move forward. It's a lot more of a risk, and with risk comes fun. The reward of choosing wisely.

I have a full appreciation and obtain great enjoyment from _both_ Android and iOS. At the end of the day I wouldn't be caught without both.

They are each exemplary at what they do best. Using both, is a perfect opportunity to stay abreast of what's happening with two of the most significant mobile computing and communications devices of our time.

I envy your situation. I think everyone in here would be more level-headed if they owned both Android phones and iPhones. That way they could see the merits of each, and not be forced to defend their purchase by belittling the others' arguments, which happens all too frequently.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I envy your situation. I think everyone in here would be more level-headed if they owned both Android phones and iPhones. That way they could see the merits of each, and not be forced to defend their purchase by belittling the others' arguments, which happens all too frequently.

But could you imagine how many less threads there were if everyone responded to "okay...enjoy your iphone/Android/Windows phone" rather than trying to tell someone why their choice was wrong?

Sometimes I have lag on my ICS Android device. Sometimes I see some lag on the Nexus 7. I still really like them. My friend's iPhone has lag occasionally. He really likes it. I think at the end of the day, enjoy the phone you have and if you don't...switch. No justifications are necessary.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
But could you imagine how many less threads there were if everyone responded to "okay...enjoy your iphone/Android/Windows phone" rather than trying to tell someone why their choice was wrong?

Sometimes I have lag on my ICS Android device. Sometimes I see some lag on the Nexus 7. I still really like them. My friend's iPhone has lag occasionally. He really likes it. I think at the end of the day, enjoy the phone you have and if you don't...switch. No justifications are necessary.

Maybe you're right. I enjoy these debates, lol.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

I suggest you take your own advice.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I haven't. The iPhone 5 is more durable than the S3. But your original quote was

To me this implied that the iPhone 5 costs as much as it does because it is more durable. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Maybe half me and half you?

I meant to say Apple made it obvious where the money was spent on the iPhone 5.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Dude, chill lol. You were the one who wanted to see the visual difference between the two. I'd never cling to iOS over this, just wanted to show others what iOS users are talking about and what Android try to argue is nonexistent. You're really overreacting...welcome back, though.

Also, don't ignore that iphone 5 scrolling speed is so pathetic slow and lethargic compared to my S3. It is so tedious to scroll long page/list. So I rather have the little stutters once in a while in Android than have the always present slow lethargic scrolling.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

YUP!

Finally made it to a T-Mobile store this evening to check out the Nexus 4. Walk into the store, say I have an iPhone and looking at other options. Salesman tells me, "Can I interest you in a Galaxy Exhibit... It's 4G and made by Samsung..."

:mad: "Uh, no." And I walk straight to the Nexus 4. Beautiful phone! Loved almost everything about it from the feel to the software. Had mixed feelings about the now crowded app drawer and the grippy sides (but the glass on glass made a difference). The screen brought me back to iP4 days (not too long ago) with the wider aspect ratio, but it makes it great for browsing in portrait.

First impression was that this could definitely be a game changer. If it were marketed more aggressively I can see Google/LG compete against the iPhones and Galaxy's.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Also, don't ignore that iphone 5 scrolling speed is so pathetic slow and lethargic compared to my S3. It is so tedious to scroll long page/list. So I rather have the little stutters once in a while in Android than have the always present slow lethargic scrolling.
There are browsers other than Safari on the iPhone...

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
YUP!

Finally made it to a T-Mobile store this evening to check out the Nexus 4. Walk into the store, say I have an iPhone and looking at other options. Salesman tells me, "Can I interest you in a Galaxy Exhibit... It's 4G and made by Samsung..."

:mad: "Uh, no." And I walk straight to the Nexus 4. Beautiful phone! Loved almost everything about it from the feel to the software. Had mixed feelings about the now crowded app drawer and the grippy sides (but the glass on glass made a difference). The screen brought me back to iP4 days (not too long ago) with the wider aspect ratio, but it makes it great for browsing in portrait.

First impression was that this could definitely be a game changer. If it were marketed more aggressively I can see Google/LG compete against the iPhones and Galaxy's.

Is this your first Android device? The issue with the crowded app drawer can be easily remedied by installing a different launcher. Nova and apex are my favorites.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

To each his own, I like the scrolling speed. Feels really natural.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Is this your first Android device? The issue with the crowded app drawer can be easily remedied by installing a different launcher. Nova and apex are my favorites.

Nah, I've owned a GNex and I have (unfortunately) a Droid Incredible from work. I know you can configure the app drawer, I prefer vertical scroll anyway. But it was still a change in either 4.2 or Nexus 4 to have 5 columns of icons, not a big deal, my own opinion that it was crowded.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
There are browsers other than Safari on the iPhone...

Same issue. opera mini on iOS still scrolls slow compared to android version. I think it is the iOS that limits the scrolling speed. (this not just happens in browser but also apparent in general UI as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.