Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Am I the only one who's OS agnostic? It seems it's impossible to agree that WP, Android and iOS all have their own merits and succeed at different things. With a LOT of overlap. It's essentially personal preference, yet there's people here trying to justify their purchase or tell others they're wrong for choosing product "X" If you buy a decent phone, I really don't think you could go wrong with either of the "big 3". All three have been around a while and are mature, and very useable.

Agreed. For the most part it is largely preference. I'm sure I prefer IOS b.c I have been using it the last 5 years

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
to me, I switched back from SIII to iPhone 5, simply because: iPod > Powercast

I was so frustrated with Powercast... the interface is great, but the lockscreen isn't. Try pressing the power button fast, and it becomes buggy... it won't show the media controls.

I love iPod's interface, and ease of use. Oh and all my earphones works better with iPhone (volume button!)...

Also, I like to listen to stuff off the background. You can't listen to YouTube off the background. Yes, I know you have to do some tedious clicking in the iOS... but at least when I "close" the app, (be it from Safari, YouTube app, or Jasmine app), and turn off the screen, the music can still run if you press "play" again from your earphones.

You can't do that with Android.

Uh....

Its pretty easy to stream YouTube audio in the background of Android. I've been messing with PVSTAR+ but there are much better options. But this works really good because its sort music via artist, basically an app for music.

I laughed when I read your comment because it was exactly what I was doing on my tablet when I read it.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I consider myself pretty software agnostic, I always switch between iOS, Android and BBOS. The main reason I do not use iOS after using the 4 and the 4s is the hardware. Unlike the majority of people who praise the design of iPhones, I just cannot stand the sharp edges. I prefer rounded edges because it just feels better in my hands. As soon as iPhones have rounded edges with a bigger screen, I'll go back to iOS without hesitation.

Both OSs have their merit, but there is nothing more annoying than fanboys on both sides spitting out stupid arguments based on what they heard or read instead of actually really trying out the operating system.

For example, I refuse to say Android/iOS is better than WP8, simply because I only spend 5 minutes with a Nokia 920. And it was not a good one because I hated the bulkyness of the 920. But this does not mean WP8 itself sucks and 5 minutes is really not enough for one to judge.

Grow up!

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Am I the only one who's OS agnostic? It seems it's impossible to agree that WP, Android and iOS all have their own merits and succeed at different things. With a LOT of overlap. It's essentially personal preference, yet there's people here trying to justify their purchase or tell others they're wrong for choosing product "X" If you buy a decent phone, I really don't think you could go wrong with either of the "big 3". All three have been around a while and are mature, and very useable.

I like them all and had them all. I would prefer to have Windows Phone but the lack of apps is a real buzz kill. Let me take that back, the lack of apps that I use is a real deal breaker. I need tradeking, and the real Tapatalk, and my banking app, none of those are present on Windows Phone. Tradeking has been talking about making a Android app for over a year now.

Plus small things like iMessage, I didn't know this many people had an iOS device. All of my contacts use iMessage and I didn't even have to ask them what's their username or what app are they using, no downloading or Swiping to the messenger, just a single thread That's pretty cool to me.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Scrolling on iOS scrolls 1 to 1 with your finger but then accelerates the longer you continue to scroll, so on a tall or long page if you continue to scroll it eventually zooms through.

And once at the bottom you can just tap the top to go right back to the top again.

It is quite difficult for you to comprehend unless you actually try it (e,g S3). Because of this i feel the Iphone5 UI lags compared S3.

One other thing is the window animation in iOS takes too long/slow. This adds to the lagginess feel. And you can't turn off animation.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Uh....

Its pretty easy to stream YouTube audio in the background of Android. I've been messing with PVSTAR+ but there are much better options. But this works really good because its sort music via artist, basically an app for music.

I laughed when I read your comment because it was exactly what I was doing on my tablet when I read it.

You don't really need to be a troll and be rude, what are you? 15?
I used Harex which can stream audio... but I didn't like the interface.
Check out Jasmine if there is one in Android... it's a youtube app in iOS done right.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You don't really need to be a troll and be rude, what are you? 15?
I used Harex which can stream audio... but I didn't like the interface.
Check out Jasmine if there is one in Android... it's a youtube app in iOS done right.

How was that rude? Then you call me 15? But I'm rude? Come on. I just thought it was ironic you said it COULD NOT do it while I was doing. Then you say it actually can do it but you don't like the interface? You are just full of plot twist. :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
And when is that EVER going to be a problem in the real world?

Unless Apple approve a "Pro Masturbator" app in the App Store I hardly think anyone's actually going to be scrolling that fast in order to cause a problem.

In games that require require a lot of screen movement. You can do it slower just takes longer. Didn't devs notice this pretty quick? That's not a new video by any means.

That would never bother me either, nor does a millisecond delay in scrolling when comparing iOS to Android.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
In games that require require a lot of screen movement. You can do it slower just takes longer. Didn't devs notice this pretty quick? That's not a new video by any means.

That would never bother me either, nor does a millisecond delay in scrolling when comparing iOS to Android.

There was a real world test from an iPhone user playing Cut The Rope which requires some rapid diagonal flicks and it was fine.

The only place this has become apparent is scrolling ridiculously quickly in Mail.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Unlike the majority of people who praise the design of iPhones, I just cannot stand the sharp edges. I prefer rounded edges because it just feels better in my hands.

I still think the iPhone 4 is the best looking phone out today but I do agree about the sharp edges. When I sold my iPhone 4 and returned my iPhone 5, I had to use my old 3G iPhone for a couple weeks and forgot how comfortable the rounded edges were. Samsung may use plastic but they sure do know how to mold them to fit in the hand comfortably.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There was a real world test from an iPhone user playing Cut The Rope which requires some rapid diagonal flicks and it was fine.

The only place this has become apparent is scrolling ridiculously quickly in Mail.

I don't think cut the rope would be a good choice. I don't have a lot of experience with the game but from my experience you only keep your finger on the screen for a second at a time. Seems like that would be the opposite of the issue.

Like I said though, this wouldn't effect me either. But if some people want to nitpick over milliseconds of scrolling why not nitpick of the screen becoming totally unresponsive? They both effect me equally aka not at all....

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
To be honest, I would have already jumped to Android if it wasn't so fragmented.

I love aspects of it, and it is far superior in certain ways - but people nowadays don't want 100 different choices. 10 options? Yes, sure, but not 100.

That's why the Galaxy SIII is selling SO well, because it's one of a few obvious direct alternatives to the iPhone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
To be honest, I would have already jumped to Android if it wasn't so fragmented.

I love aspects of it, and it is far superior in certain ways - but people nowadays don't want 100 different choices. 10 options? Yes, sure, but not 100.

That's why the Galaxy SIII is selling SO well, because it's one of a few obvious direct alternatives to the iPhone.

So true. The s3 is a grab and go phone that doesn't require really any tinkering. The nexus line you have to customize a lot to get it where you want it IMO. Some people want that, but many just want the grab and go. I think I am the grab and go type.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I just wish some on these android phones had a good quality build instead of this cheap plastic feel.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So true. The s3 is a grab and go phone that doesn't require really any tinkering. The nexus line you have to customize a lot to get it where you want it IMO. Some people want that, but many just want the grab and go. I think I am the grab and go type.

Agreed.

I spent enough of my time messing around with Windows, forever tinkering with it - and that is what drove me to Mac in the first place. I wanted something that just worked (a cliche, I know!).

If each handset manufacturer had a range of 2 or 3 phones maximum:

- High end iPhone rival with latest Android OS
- Mid-range, simpler, easier to handle, cheaper
- Budget range

then it would be a lot easier to sort out what is actually on offer. As it stands, I'm confused as hell, and being on the Apple ecosystem isn't perfect but it is far far simpler.

If Android OS and the manufacturers could simplify and update much more quickly, I'd probably jump ship quickly.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Not really. Touch wiz has so many features embedded into the phone that a launcher cannot give you. Basically people either love or hate it.

Not really true. Touchwiz is just a launcher. You can replace it without sacrificing anything (except for widgets that came with it). The extra functions are in the ROM itself (e.g. smart stay, contacts, video player/popup play etc)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not really true. Touchwiz is just a launcher. You can replace it without sacrificing anything (except for widgets that came with it). The extra functions are in the ROM itself (e.g. smart stay, contacts, video player/popup play etc)

Gotcha. Well I knew they were samsung specific features and more deeply rooted than just downloading touch wiz on a nexus phone.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Gotcha. Well I knew they were samsung specific features and more deeply rooted than just downloading touch wiz on a nexus phone.

btw: you can't download TouchWiz and install it to a nexus phone just like you can't download HTCSense. (they are not to be found anywhere ;) )

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I agree with op. So much so, that I came out of lurkdom to post.

I purchased the Galaxy S3 after much prodding from everyone - friends, co-workers, salespeople - about how it's so much better than the iphone. However, after a few frustrating days, I ended up returning it and made the right choice (for me). :apple:

Android has its advantages, but none of them appeal to me. To be frank, I don't give a crap if it's "open source" or that I can "flash custom roms" or any of that nerd jargon. The iphone does what I need it to do intuitively and looks a hell of a lot sleeker doing it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.