Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
It may be a different test, or scoring has changed since I got my original degree. But 60 is still retarded.

I'm not so sure about that. I believe 100 is by definition the average, so most people would fall in between 90-110.

Most people absolutely do not fall around 120-140.

120 is considered well above average, 130 is gifted and 140 is superior (though names change based on which test and who administers it).

100 is average. As said above, most people are between 90-110.

And don't forget that 50% of the population will be measurably below 100.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Also saying IQ test does not test your curiosity to learn, abstract thinking and creativity. That IQ is bogus and lot it does not test you on.

If this is true why do we still use the IQ test and so many people so interested in the IQ test and what their IQ score is at?
I don't know what you mean by "bogus." The tests are meant to cover something very narrow, so it shouldn't apply to a broad range of traits. Why would an intelligence test somehow test your curiosity or creativity? Aside from threads like this, I wasn't aware people were so interested in the IQ test.

Perhaps it's like blood type. When one donate's blood, their type is of immense importance, but two people with incompatible blood could probably be lifelong friends with few blood-related conflicts. :p That doesn't mean blood type is bogus, just specific and unrelated to most things.

Out of curiosity, what inspired you to create this thread?

My highest tested IQ was 185 (when I was 19). I doubt it is that high anymore (I am now 55), as age is a factor, and I am sure I didn't keep up with that curve. I can absolutely gauge a person's IQ within minutes of meeting them. Sometimes I am surprised when they have expertise in a narrow area, but rarely am I surprised with their overall intelligence.
Intriguing. How do you test the accuracy of your gauging?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The Mensa sample test includes a lot of pattern-recognition questions, e.g., what's the missing number in a sequence, what's the next figure in a geometric pattern, and what scrambled word do certain letters hide. I'm surprised that it puts so much emphasis on one particular type of problem-solving.

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
The Mensa sample test includes a lot of pattern-recognition questions, e.g., what's the missing number in a sequence, what's the next figure in a geometric pattern, and what scrambled word do certain letters hide. I'm surprised that it puts so much emphasis on one particular type of problem-solving.

What is point of pattern-recognition questions or Visual Spatial IQ test? Is it to test how well you can remember shapes? A person that does well on Visual Spatial IQ test or pattern-recognition questions will do well drawings, art and architecture drawings. A person with low Visual Spatial IQ test will do really bad with drawings, art and architecture drawings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.