Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I'm having an issue with Netflix mirroring via my iPad and iPhone (using Apple's digital AV adapter and HDMI); the movie would look good on the iOS device but when I mirror it to my 50" HDTV it looks horrible.

My internet is a constant 25Mbps. I compared my PS3 to the above and the PS3 blows it away (difference is like Bluray vs VHS). I kept all variables constant to make a proper comparison (same TV, same internet connection, same movie, same time etc...)

To me it seems as though the Netflix app in the PS3 is superior to its equivalent iOS version (just a guess on my part) or maybe Netflix didn't have "iOS devices mirroring" in mind when they made their app (?).

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting here was to see if AT3 would be better but frankly I'd rather stick with iOS device mirroring as it's a lot cheaper and more flexible for me. I just wish this quality issue can be fixed. Wondering if contacting Netflix would help.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I'm having an issue with Netflix mirroring via my iPad and iPhone (using Apple's digital AV adapter and HDMI); the movie would look good on the iOS device but when I mirror it to my 50" HDTV it looks horrible.

My internet is a constant 25Mbps. I compared my PS3 to the above and the PS3 blows it away (difference is like Bluray vs VHS). I kept all variables constant to make a proper comparison (same TV, same internet connection, same movie, same time etc...)

To me it seems as though the Netflix app in the PS3 is superior to its equivalent iOS version (just a guess on my part) or maybe Netflix didn't have "iOS devices mirroring" in mind when they made their app (?).

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting here was to see if AT3 would be better but frankly I'd rather stick with iOS device mirroring as it's a lot cheaper and more flexible for me. I just wish this quality issue can be fixed. Wondering if contacting Netflix would help.

I've tried doing AirPlay mirroring with the Netflix app between my iPad 2 and my apple tv 2 and it does look pretty bad. The quality of the Netflix app from my apple tv 2 and iPad 2 on their own is much better.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I've tried doing AirPlay mirroring with the Netflix app between my iPad 2 and my apple tv 2 and it does look pretty bad. The quality of the Netflix app from my apple tv 2 and iPad 2 on their own is much better.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I should move away from mirroring which is too bad as its such a convenient and cheap solution, but I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I should move away from mirroring which is too bad as its such a convenient and cheap solution, but I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Mirroring and AirPlay works and looks great with other apps including games. It's just Netflix I noticed had picture quality issues so far.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
The PS3 netflix app has just been updated it seems, which automatically shows the next episode once one has finished, with a preview etc, and 1-click play. Seems pretty decent, but still not as good as the Apple TV system.

I'm still awaiting a response from Apple. Sent off an email today asking for an update, a whole month after I last got a reply. :(

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Hopefully they get together to iron out the bugs of Netflix on the ATV because it rocks on the iPhone + iPad. It sucks that a decent app like Netflix can be FAIL at times only on the ATV both on wireless and ethernet connection

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Netflix works awesome on all 3 of my ATVs (2 2nd gen ATV, 1 3rd gen ATV). All pretty much stream HD with great picture/sound and all are on WiFi. Not one single problem since I've had it. I use it ALL THE TIME, EVERYDAY. I have a 60" and 50" LED LCD 120Hz and 240Hz 1080p TV sets with surround sound. Connection is VZ FiOS 25Mbps up/down with a dual band TC upstairs and a APE repeater downstairs.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hopefully they get together to iron out the bugs of Netflix on the ATV because it rocks on the iPhone + iPad. It sucks that a decent app like Netflix can be FAIL at times only on the ATV both on wireless and ethernet connection

It's got to be either your internet connection or a defective unit.

Netflix has worked flawlessly on the 3 Apple TVs in our household for the past 2+ years.

metaphored

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Reached this thread through a search on "why my apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3" and am half glad I found this thread. Good to be I am not alone, bad to understand it is a widespread.

Yeah, all cabled, time capsule, 20mb bandwith. PS3 in full HD all time, Apple TV2 struggling to not pause and buffer at all.

I suggest everyone DO the comparison with a PS3. The point is, everyone who is able to compare to other device sees the difference. and ATV is never the better one.

I missed someone saying that. If you only have your ATV as reference, maybe you are losing a lot of real HD while you watch in reality a SD streaming. Perception can be deceiving sometimes.

I tweaked, jailbreaked, tried 3G, used a VPN to isolate traffic shaping, rotated DNSses, directly wired the ATV to the cable modem, believe, I tried it all. And at all times, while the ATV struggled, the PS3 was able to deliver full HD in a matter of seconds when available.

I love apple and apple gadgets. I am writing this on a Mac. But I must recognize when something that should "just work" "just never works"....

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
Reached this thread through a search on "why my apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3" and am half glad I found this thread. Good to be I am not alone, bad to understand it is a widespread.

Yeah, all cabled, time capsule, 20mb bandwith. PS3 in full HD all time, Apple TV2 struggling to not pause and buffer at all.

I suggest everyone DO the comparison with a PS3. The point is, everyone who is able to compare to other device sees the difference. and ATV is never the better one.

I missed someone saying that. If you only have your ATV as reference, maybe you are losing a lot of real HD while you watch in reality a SD streaming. Perception can be deceiving sometimes.

I tweaked, jailbreaked, tried 3G, used a VPN to isolate traffic shaping, rotated DNSses, directly wired the ATV to the cable modem, believe, I tried it all. And at all times, while the ATV struggled, the PS3 was able to deliver full HD in a matter of seconds when available.

I love apple and apple gadgets. I am writing this on a Mac. But I must recognize when something that should "just work" "just never works"....

I'm actually one of the few that likes the picture quality on my Apple TV. I switched DNS to google's and have no issues with that. I have a 30mbps connection. The PS3 quality is good but it seems to drop down every once in a while (you can check this by pressing select when watching netflix and it'll tell you the quality)

metaphored

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
I'm actually one of the few that likes the picture quality on my Apple TV. I switched DNS to google's and have no issues with that. I have a 30mbps connection. The PS3 quality is good but it seems to drop down every once in a while (you can check this by pressing select when watching netflix and it'll tell you the quality)

Good to know there are persons doing this comparison. That is what I am looking for. Indeed sometimes quality on PS3 could fluctuate (I am a crazy select button monitor) but overall I think it is not relevant (the *worse* situations are seconds to high SD then going quickly to HIgh HD or x-High - I wish that would be the same with ATV).

PQ on ATV2 is almost all times plain SD with lots of artifacts around moving objects (high compression signal), no matter what I do... Suspected of traffic shaping on my provider side a while ago, but only a different protocol system as stated before here would explain why PS3 is HD and ATV2 SD (provider throttling one protocol and the other not?)... seeing so many people with the same problem and the only thing in common is ATV makes me even more puzzled... :mad:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Still can't understand why Netflix 1080p HD and MLB HD streaming is flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3. Both hard wired to my Airport extreme base station. I have the router DNS set to 8.8.8.8 (google), and 60 mbs dl speeds. Have switched ethernet cables, powered router and ATV3 off and on, but still see issues at time. It's really noticeable on MLB where the ATV3 will switch between HD and SD, while no such problems occur with the Roku. On my second ATV3 and problems continue to exist. I may end up using my ATV3 as a paperweight.

diffengr

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
Spotted: Appleholes

I've been around the interwebs long enough that I should know better. But I found the behavior of some of the people on this forum to striker33 shocking. Shocking enough to register, upvote every one of his posts, and write this ultimately ineffectual and meaningless post.

striker33 was clearly just trying to solve a problem, very technical, and considering the suggestions made, and was, considering, remarkably polite and calm. On the other hand, the gang that surrounded him started hating on him because their he found unhelpful their catechism of it's-your-internet*1000 / sunspots / can't-be-Apple / why-do-you-hate-kitties. To describe such unquestioning religious mobbery, I find "Fanboi" inaccurately positive (and overused into meaninglessness): I prefer "Applehole".

Not that it should matter, but I'm a professional iOS Developer. If I'm a hater, I have a strange way of showing it. Oh, and I'm having the exact problems striker33 is with ATV/Netflix, the ones "nobody else is having".

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that in Netflix. For me, the picture quality on my ATV2 is excellent now, but several weeks ago it would frequently drop to "bad Youtube clip" quality, it would be good to have a little more detailed info available, thanks.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
I've been around the interwebs long enough that I should know better. But I found the behavior of some of the people on this forum to striker33 shocking. Shocking enough to register, upvote every one of his posts, and write this ultimately ineffectual and meaningless post.

striker33 was clearly just trying to solve a problem, very technical, and considering the suggestions made, and was, considering, remarkably polite and calm. On the other hand, the gang that surrounded him started hating on him because their he found unhelpful their catechism of it's-your-internet*1000 / sunspots / can't-be-Apple / why-do-you-hate-kitties. To describe such unquestioning religious mobbery, I find "Fanboi" inaccurately positive (and overused into meaninglessness): I prefer "Applehole".

Not that it should matter, but I'm a professional iOS Developer. If I'm a hater, I have a strange way of showing it. Oh, and I'm having the exact problems striker33 is with ATV/Netflix, the ones "nobody else is having".

It might have something to do with how OP seems to be more interested in blaming Apple than in fixing his problem.

* When OP encounters conflicting information (such as whether PS3 streams are different than ATV streams,) he chooses to believe that which enables him to continue to blame Apple.

* OP replaced his ATV once already, and that didn't fix it. The first thing that tells me is the problem lies somewhere else. This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic, and the probability of encountering two defective units is very low. But OP insists up and down the problem cannot lie anywhere else but with Apple.

* OP keeps coming back here to keep this topic going long after it is clear that we can't help him, expecting us to solve it, and complaining about Apple for not fixing a problem that most likely has nothing to do with the device in the first place.

So I'm not at all surprised that people are pissed at him.

crisg

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009

Good thing you upvoted him; now everything is ok in the world :rolleyes:

His tunnel vision is aimed squarely on Apple -- he hates anything and everything Apple; paradoxically, perhaps masochistically, he keeps replacing what he believes to be "faulty" Apple products with more Apple products in an effort to further his personal hobby of Apple-hating. The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with. If anything, I'd say more lambasting is owed and it has been the FORUM that has been far too polite and patient with him.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Good thing you upvoted him; now everything is ok in the world :rolleyes:

His tunnel vision is aimed squarely on Apple -- he hates anything and everything Apple; paradoxically, perhaps masochistically, he keeps replacing what he believes to be "faulty" Apple products with more Apple products in an effort to further his personal hobby of Apple-hating. The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with. If anything, I'd say more lambasting is owed and it has been the FORUM that has been far too polite and patient with him.

Yeah this guy ignored any advice that would make him look stupid and he returned the iPad 3, 5 times for what reasons?? I'm all for helping people on this forum but this op isn't willing to listen to reason.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Broke down and setup my Netflix again. Connected it to the ATV3 I bought a few months ago that's been collecting dust. Quality sucked. Watched about 30 minutes of a movie before I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360.

Both devices connected to the same wireless, so not sure how it could be a connectivity/internet issue. Guess I'll read up on this thread to see what tricks people are trying.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Broke down and setup my Netflix again. Connected it to the ATV3 I bought a few months ago that's been collecting dust. Quality sucked. Watched about 30 minutes of a movie before I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360.

Both devices connected to the same wireless, so not sure how it could be a connectivity/internet issue. Guess I'll read up on this thread to see what tricks people are trying.
Don't know what to tell you except I am watching an hour or two of Netflix every day now on ATV and the HD picture is excellent, and certainly comparable to broadcast HD from my satellite provider and HD content rented from iTunes. That's with wired Ethernet (via Homeplug 200) and 16mbps Internet.

I may try it on my 360 one day if Microsoft ever drop the unnecessary Live Gold subscription requirement/fee before allowing you to stream Netflix.

diffengr

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
Consider...

Code:
striker33    OP
vtstarck     "I'm having this EXACT issue."
Pheo         "Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices"
Nychot       "I'm returning the 3"
Lunchbox700  "I'm having the same problem"
slffl        "I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Neflix"
Ipadlover29  "everything works great except Netflix streaming"
steve dave   others work great, "could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv"
roidy        "The PS3 worked perfectly, not a single issue, but the ATV2 was a nightmare"
darster      "I can also attest to the poor streaming of netflix on the ATV3."
Yochace      "I'm having the same issue"
whooleytoo   "I got a "Netflix is deactivated on this device..." errors"
WoodNUFC     "My problems with Netflix on ATV2 and ATV3 is continual buffering"
russell2     "I'm experiencing something similar" on 3 new ATV3s.
rockinred    "I have 2 ATV2 and just gave up and watch all my netflix on my PS3"
CrzyP        "Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3"
TobyZiegler  "Same problem here"
boros        "It's horrible on both my ATV2 and my ATV3"
Rideherhard  "Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture"
gopnick      "Now I have all sorts of problems"
metaphored   "... apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3"
wxman2003    "flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3"
diffengr     That's me!
Geckotek     "I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360"

VS.

DARK N00DLE  "That isn't a problem with your ATV then"
heliocentric "it's OK on everyone else's ATV"
P0stalTek    "But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine"
Irishman     "the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem"
guspasho     "This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic"
crisg        "a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with"

Last edited:

diffengr

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
The dozens

The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with.

By "refutes", do you mean, "tries them out and they don't work"? If not, I'm interested in the list of those solutions he's refuted (= "denied; not tried"), because he's sure tried a lot of stuff.

crisg

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Code:
striker33    OP
vtstarck     "I'm having this EXACT issue."
Pheo         "Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices"
Nychot       "I'm returning the 3"
Lunchbox700  "I'm having the same problem"
slffl        "I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Neflix"
Ipadlover29  "everything works great except Netflix streaming"
steve dave   others work great, "could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv"
roidy        "The PS3 worked perfectly, not a single issue, but the ATV2 was a nightmare"
darster      "I can also attest to the poor streaming of netflix on the ATV3."
Yochace      "I'm having the same issue"
whooleytoo   "I got a "Netflix is deactivated on this device..." errors"
WoodNUFC     "My problems with Netflix on ATV2 and ATV3 is continual buffering"
russell2     "I'm experiencing something similar" on 3 new ATV3s.
rockinred    "I have 2 ATV2 and just gave up and watch all my netflix on my PS3"
CrzyP        "Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3"
TobyZiegler  "Same problem here"
boros        "It's horrible on both my ATV2 and my ATV3"
Rideherhard  "Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture"
gopnick      "Now I have all sorts of problems"
metaphored   "... apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3"
wxman2003    "flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3"
diffengr     That's me!
Geckotek     "I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360"

VS.

DARK N00DLE  "That isn't a problem with your ATV then"
heliocentric "it's OK on everyone else's ATV"
P0stalTek    "But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine"
Irishman     "the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem"
guspasho     "This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic"
crisg        "a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with"

I can't consider that -- negative bias in a thread dedicated to NEGATIVE opinions of a product will attract -- you guessed it -- negative reviews. You can't take a congregation of like-minded people and declare their shared views as proof of a majority -- or even a significant sample. That would be like going to a Republican convention and using that as proof that America is vastly and overwhelmingly Republican.

Here's the skinny: the ATV is a product that is VERY dependent on many factors to perform well. A short and not-complete list of these factors are: your ISP, your internal home wiring, your internet speed plan, your connections, your wireless connections, your neighbor's wireless connections (due to interference), the placement of the device, the router's quality, the router's other connected devices, the movie you're watching, network congestion, server congestion, and lofty expectations of a $99 product.

Every thing I listed above is different for every-single-user. Numerous and countless variables across MILLIONS of users will inevitably result in SOME users not getting OPTIMUM performance. It happens. The 1 thing that is NOT a variable is the ATV3 -- due to mass manufacturing, quality control and the assembly line -- anyone who owns an ATV3 has virtually the same product -- MILLIONS of times over. Errors happen. Apple is good about replacing products because they understand this.

To sit here and see all the variables that affect ATV3 performance and to continue to declare Apple to be the problem is... beyond the realm of logic. If you truly believe Apple is the problem, return your item and don't purchase Apple products anymore; the community is better off without you.

crisg

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Relevant

I was browsing thru cracked.com's articles and came up on this little tidbit. I think it's VERY relevant to this discussion.

When you shop, you probably rely on online feedback to avoid a bad purchase. But the feedback skews negative -- people who are satisfied with their purchases usually just go about their lives enjoying their new Flowbee or whatever. They don't think about logging on to Amazon and telling the world about how tight their hair is now. But the people who are dissatisfied -- WATCH OUT. Researchers put it this way:

"As online forums become more populated, for example, customers who are more positive and less involved tend to stick to the sidelines, while customers who are more involved and more critical take their place."

So online feedback tends to be either from people who are being negative or from people who are positive and see that other people are trashing the thing they're positive about. Now they have to speak up, just to try to negate the dickishness. One way or the other, the loudest, most negative people dictate the discussion. You've probably also seen this phenomenon in every single political discussion that has ever taken place online.

Read more: 5 Scientific Ways the Internet is Dividing Us | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19860_5-scientific-ways-internet-dividing-us_p2.html#ixzz1xDmlxmrk

from this cracked article.

Also relevant, especially to op:

Take, for example, Facebook groups. We're talking about biased, like-minded people who specifically created their group in order to discuss their agenda. For the sake of argument, let's say the group was "We Want the Tupac Hologram to Make Out With the Freddie Mercury Hologram." So you know that some Tu-Fred love haters are going to make their way into the group and take over the conversation. In fact, researchers found that in a real political Facebook group, 17 percent of the posters were opposed to the very group they were participating in. They're just there to start ****, because they just couldn't leave it alone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.