Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Simple answer to the question of why are people still buying iPhone 4's: The 5 isn't out yet :)

When will people learn? It's not about the hardware. It's about the software.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
You keep saying that. But you don't quite understand it. Perhaps civics is next year. Now, run along troll.

I'm only going to say this once cause I don't want to feed the troll more, but you acknowledge he's a troll.

Now, get this, he doesn't care about android vs. mac so there's no point in arguing with him (I knew a guy who liked trolling for entertainment, trust me, he could give a crap less what he was arguing about. He just liked seeing if he could push buttons). He just cares to get you to respond. Best way to get a troll to go away is report him, hope he gets banned, but even if he doesn't, ignore him no matter how tempting he makes it (and good trolls will make themselves look really stupid just to tempt you to respond).

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I'm only going to say this once cause I don't want to feed the troll more, but you acknowledge he's a troll.

Now, get this, he doesn't care about android vs. mac so there's no point in arguing with him (I knew a guy who liked trolling for entertainment, trust me, he could give a crap less what he was arguing about. He just liked seeing if he could push buttons). He just cares to get you to respond. Best way to get a troll to go away is report him, hope he gets banned, but even if he doesn't, ignore him no matter how tempting he makes it (and good trolls will make themselves look really stupid just to tempt you to respond).

Thanks for the lecture. And good job feeding.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
1. The iPhone 4 is a very good phone.
2. Apps!
3. Brand recognition.

Problem with Android (and it's been said before) is the folks who want Android are the folks unwilling spend a dime on apps.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I had a HTC and a Samsung Galaxy. Even though I am an avid Macbook pro/ipod user...I never bothered with iphones for some reason.

Samsung Galaxy S = Utterly *****, to be frank about it.

Now I know the SGS II is a huge improvement to the original SGS and is 'the rival' to iphone 5 with it's 8 mp camera etc...

BUT...my experience with Samsung is that they are useless and it's put me off ever buying another of their phones. The phone was laggy, the updates just don't come...they put the Gingerbread 2.3 update on the market, they took it off..people waited...it just got annoying.

Also, and this is only related to myself..I changed the rom on my SGS about...20 times...it's a constant effort, change the widgets, change the wallpaper, change the rom, update the launcher. In short I got sick of it, it became a drag. ''Why did you change the rom then?'' because the phone was SO SLOW...20 second lags to open apps, freezing constantly..it's put me off using android and I can happily say i'd never buy a Samsung phone again.

I still have my Samsung Galaxy S and have the same issues/gripes as the above poster. Changing ROMs is a complete PITA. I'll also add that the battery is dog feces. GPS is a joke and bluetooth is fickle. I just hope T-Mobile gets the iPhone. I refuse to use ATT (sucks in AZ) and don't care for Verizon.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Seriously, the Galaxy S II beat it in every way. It's got a ARM-v9 1.2GHz Dual-Core Processor, which is better than the A5. It's got 1GB RAM and it decodes 1080p h.264 MKV like butter without the need for conversion. It's thinner. It has a better battery. It has a better camera. Even with all this, it's barely more expensive than a used iPhone 4.

I can't think of anything about those specs that particularly intrigue me. I sometimes play a graphics intensive FPS and even my 3rd gen device handles it well. You do have a great point about on board conversion of high-bitrate mkv's. That would be very nice. But the decoding process would take such a toll on the battery that I would probably convert the videos before playing on the device anyway.

You do realize I have a MacBook Air and an iPad, right?

You do realize that you should switch to a PC for the same reasons as your move to the Samsung, right?

Lycanthroat

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2011
UK
In response to the starter of this thread - because I like the iPhone 4 and iOS over Android.

Stop liking what I don't like, etc etc,

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
As I said in another thread:

I have my phone jailbroken with a HTC theme. I would have gone with the Droid Incredible II, if it wasn't for one thing. I don't have a credit card, so I wouldn't be able to purchase apps. I go to the local retail store and buy iTunes gift cards for my account. That is why I bought an iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Here's my offer.

Some geeks that likes to be different, they will try droid and some might even like it.
I am a geek(well i like to think and try to be) and I have droid X(along w/ all other apple stuff).
I hate droid X w/ passion. Why? Cause I do not have anything that is useful for me in terms of apps.
I use air video a LOT. Does droid have it? NO....
I play few games. INcluding plants vs zombie. Does droid have it? NO..(after 2 years of this game being released.. still no?)
Droid has angry bird. Which I left month before it came to droid.(I played it from ipad and ipod).

At least from my perspective, all these games and app that is not coming to android right away or not coming at all is BIG NO NO....
When ESPN app was released, it was released to ios first and started to working. When I tried from droid X, grghghghghghghghghgh.. so ghetto and just not professional enough.

BTw, why is OP comparing year old iphone 4 to sg2 which was JUST released?
Not that it matters as I would still take iphone 4(but now I am just waiting for iphone 5 since it's so close).

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Oh yes and AirPlay is awesome. All my friends have an ATV2, I can put a movie or TV show on any of my iOS or iTunes devices and play it back perfectly on their TV.

Almost forgot Netflix & iTunes movie rentals. :)

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Oh yes and AirPlay is awesome. All my friends have an ATV2, I can put a movie or TV show on any of my iOS or iTunes devices and play it back perfectly on their TV.

Almost forgot Netflix & iTunes movie rentals. :)

amen~

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
Iphone 4 + Jailbreak + Installous ( take what you will from that comment)

It's all about the Apps for me

Honestly that's really the biggest reason I'm still using iOS

I've seen the craptastic app market that is on every other phone and it pales in comparison to what is offered in the iOS market. There is a lot of crap in the free software section, but you can find some really kickass games/tools for as little at .99 cents

TurnerMan

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
In cyberzspace.
Well, high five! I've had every iPhone as well. :p As for the polish, I talked about that in my above post.

So, what you said is that you don't care if the software works as well, just that the hardware specs are better. Troll much? This thread is pointless, people buy what they want. If you're happy, great.

Gucci

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
ImperialX is right.

It is because people buy anything made by Apple regardless of there being much better options. Android does not just have better hardware, the OS is much better as it is free open source, unlike Apple propietary OS.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Problem with Android (and it's been said before) is the folks who want Android are the folks unwilling spend a dime on apps.

More likely:

1) The iPhone forces users to have an iTunes account. This makes it easier to buy apps later on, in a familiar environment where many people already have bought music etc.

2) People are smart enough not to pay when there are free alternatives.

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
More likely:

1) The iPhone forces users to have an iTunes account. This makes it easier to buy apps later on, in a familiar environment where many people already have bought music etc.

Oh please. People pay for software because it's better than the free alternative. The bottom line is that even apps that exist cross platform are inferior on the Android Marketplace. Much like desktop Linux, you can do all the things that Windows or OS X do, but with a much higher aggravation factor. So yeah, I'll drop a buck or two on an app that does its job well, rather than putz around with free alternatives that lack polish, care and attention.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
ImperialX is right.

It is because people buy anything made by Apple regardless of there being much better options. Android does not just have better hardware, the OS is much better as it is free open source, unlike Apple propietary OS.

Why is open source better? No really why is it better for the consumer? Does it lead to lower costs or what?

I can see it being better for devs or those who want to tinker - though that has not stopped many from making apps for ios just curious that's all.

Trakker

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
More likely:

So that must be why Apple is becoming the best selling Smart Phone vendor?

You must be pretty stupid to type that sort of rubbish.

Gucci

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
More likely:

Absolutely right darling!

People are smart enough no to pay when there are fre alternatives, that's why they are choosing Android (free) instead of iOS.

Gucci

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Why is open source better? No really why is it better for the consumer? Does it lead to lower costs or what?

I can see it being better for devs or those who want to tinker - though that has not stopped many from making apps for ios just curious that's all.

It's quite obvious :rolleyes:

When you use free open source software you are supporting the comunity that builds the software, good people intentioned on helping each other like Google.

When you use propietary (bad) software you are just supporting a big and greedy corporation like Apple.

think about it, would you rather support Google (a large comunity of developers) or Apple (a greedy big corporation).

laxman101

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Why do people still buy it? Because there is nothing quiet like it.

The SGS II beats the iPhone 4 in every way. I hope so. The Iphone 4 is almost a year old.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Google is NOT a large community of developers but another big greedy corporation like Apple that just uses a different revenue model that's all.

Open Source /= free.

I guess you use Linux and not Windows right?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
think about it, would you rather support Google (a big corporation) or Apple (a big corporation). <fixed>
I'll support whomever provides the best solution for my needs. Right now that is Apple.

The main thing keeping me away from Android right now is that I need a well supported device for the duration of my contract upgrade terms. Right now Google is struggling with this as manufactures abandon old handsets for new ones every few months. Google acknowledged this at the IO conference, are hoping to target 18 month support life-cycles. This is a complex issue and they provided no clear direction on how this multi-corporation coordination will be accomplished.

Also, keep in mind that Google doesn't make phones. They only provide one piece of what makes a great handset. My concern about Android is targeted more at the handset alliance then Google.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
The main thing keeping me away from Android right now is that I need a well supported device for the duration of my contract upgrade terms.

Okay, but what does that mean, really? Support by whom?

For instance, people with Droid Incredibles or Sprint EVOs haven't gotten OS updates in a while, but they have enormous base functionality.

They're also very well supported by the app community because of their popularity, even down to being among the first to get Netflix.

Moreover, iOS devices rely exclusively on Apple for core updates, whereas Android devices can pick up a lot of new core functionality from third party addons applied without rooting. (Launchers, file pickers, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.