Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imfoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I am just curious. I like to stay up to date with anything that is found in the watchOS 2 beta. However, all of the posts are relegated to a few posts. Why is there not a separate category for watchOS 2 like there is for iOS 9?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: We try to only open subforums when there are many posts about a topic and where existing subforums are overloaded by posts on the other topic.

So far there hasn't been enough movement in watchOS 2 for us to open a new subforum.

B

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Could we put in a vote here?

I'd like to see two sub-forums:

Apple Watch (including the WatchOS 2..3...4...)
Apple Pay (I just had a victory with my bank today. They told me that it would be forthcoming in 4Q15.)

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
There absolutely not a doubt in my mind needs to be a watchOS forum. People don't know what to do with themselves with the Apple Watch forum set up the way it is. Look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-all-the-little-things-watchos-2-0-beta-4.1877547/
It started out as watchOS 1.0 and continues to be added to for every build Apple releases. This thread discusses SIX builds of watchOS. SIX!!! How is anyone suppose to discuss watchOS 1.0.1 if they are not running the beta? Everyone who vists the thread now only wants to talk about the latest beta. Rightfully so as the thread title has been updated to say watchOS beta 4.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I am just curious. I like to stay up to date with anything that is found in the watchOS 2 beta. However, all of the posts are relegated to a few posts. Why is there not a separate category for watchOS 2 like there is for iOS 9?
Maybe because watchOS 2 is only in developer preview and everyone legally running it is under an NDA?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe because watchOS 2 is only in developer preview and everyone legally running it is under an NDA?
Certainly didn't prevent any discussions and sub-forums for iOS versions when they were in beta (before public betas became recently available).

Reactions: The Doctor11

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I did a quick search and to be honest, I've not seen a lot of threads on the topic.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How many of them are active? From my initial and non-exhaustive search, I see in the apple watch forum 7 threads being what I would define active, i.e., month
watchos.png

Using the same time frame, i.e., July and August, in the iOS9 forum there are over 500 (11 pages of threads before you hit the month of June).

Also for total volume, the iOS9 forum has 985 threads, that's basically an order of magnitude difference.

To summarize my opinion, I see only a handful of active threads and I don't see the volume being at a level where it could justify its own forum - just my $.02.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
WatchOS doesn't have an identity outside of the Watch

Right now, WatchOS is the software specifically for the Watch. iOS wasn't a thing until the OS was added to the iPad. After that, the iPhone 4 launch coincided with the rebrand of iPhoneOS to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.