Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
This dude is the king of vaporware and self-promotion

He abandoned his deal with the company who was going to manufacture the clothing line he wanted to produce, resulting in no product and a lawsuit.

He was brought onboard by intel as a 'Director of Creative Innovation', which resulted in the Ultrabook, which is damn near a direct clone of MacBook Air.

His car company 'i.am.auto' consists of a 'thundervette' which is a combination of a 50's thunderbird and corvette and a delorean with a body kit, both of which were custom built by west coast customs, both of which are entirely impractical to mass produce. His staged theft of the Delorean during his album release was just a marketing ploy for a tracking device that wcc installed.

I give him credit for having big ideas, but you aren't going to 'get your people out of the ghetto' (his words) by creating false dreams of manufacturing ridiculous cars there.

So, regardless of whether this camera is a good idea or not, unless these are already produced and sitting in a warehouse somewhere, I wouldn't have a lot of hope of actually buying one.

jimmyfox231

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
NJ
They have something for older iPhones similar on kickstarter. Its just a flash and not a whole camera I think.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Right.

If this Add-on is a DSLR body with a slot on the back to fit an iPhone 4 or 5 body, which uses the screen and the apps to provide amazing functionality to a DSLR frame... that would be amazing.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Let's get this straight. HE proposes an accessory lens for a device that includes a camera. You propose a coffee machine, a hair dryer and a refrigerator. And HE is an idiot? (takes deep breath...)

Surely you can come up with a more persuasive argument than that. If you can't, maybe you should reconsider your position.

Ever heard of sarcasm ?:D

Let's tray again: Ford has issued a new add-on as well: a car; the only difference is that they simply call it a Ford with a iPhone car cradle.....you see where I am going?

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Call me a hypocrite, but if the buffoon and ambassador and hero for the cognitively challenged, Jeremy Clarkson, was marketing this camera, I be in boots and all. This idiot and his equally idiotic sidekicks are as Steve Coogan suggests just some school bullies.

Top Gear Offensive- Steve Coogan

By the way, have you heard the latest Kanye West album yet?

Perceptions, perceptions. I have very high regard for Jeremy Clarkson for his incise and sharp criticism of cars. Brand names and image doesn't bother him. He will say it as it is. Of course, he has his own biases and prejudices and don't we all?

The rest is just entertainment, like it or leave it. But don't get all twisted up over it.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Ever heard of sarcasm ?:D

Let's tray again: Ford has issued a new add-on as well: a car; the only difference is that they simply call it a Ford with a iPhone car cradle.....you see where I am going?

Will is just trying make some money from his name. At least with Dre's Beats headphones, for example, Dr. Dre has well-know background when it comes to that market. Not sure what William has when it comes to cameras on phones. Maybe he is a professional photographer with anonymous published work.

Last edited:

jacobtaylor1987

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
I'll reserve judgement till I've actually seen it. Sounds like something I might want.

In any case, this made me laugh:

"it turns you smartphone into a genius-phone."

Will.i.am, you are such a douchebag. :p

----------

This dude is the king of vaporware and self-promotion

His car company 'i.am.auto' consists of a 'thundervette' which is a combination of a 50's thunderbird and corvette and a delorean with a body kit, both of which were custom built by west coast customs, both of which are entirely impractical to mass produce. His staged theft of the Delorean during his album release was just a marketing ploy for a tracking device that wcc installed.

I think I have a picture of it:
cSL87

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Tell that to Hasselblad users ;)

Megapixels matter... but if you haven't the glass (lens) to support the megapixels, it's pretty much worthless. I highly doubt that will.i.am is going to be giving us Zeiss or even L-series quality glass. Also, sensor size is a big factor in quality of pics. None of which you will get from an iDevice. Attachment or no.

jasomill

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Tell that to Hasselblad users ;)

You mean the ones shooting with tripods, studio lighting, and a collection of lenses costing more than the camera itself, to produce images that will be subject to considerable digital manipulation, cropping, and enlargement for ultimate use on posters and in full-page, glossy magazine ads (i.e., in applications where megapixels can matter a great deal)?

Those more interested in specs than photography might find it interesting to note that the iPhone 5 camera's sensor already packs more pixels per unit area than the (considerably larger) sensor in a 50 megapixel, 30 kilobuck Hasselblad, and, somewhat less disingenuously if equally irrelevantly, that the iPhone 5 touchscreen is significantly sharper than the camera's display, which, at 3 inches and "230k" (320*240*#{red,green,blue}) is on par with displays available in non-touchscreen contemporaries of the original iPhone.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Megapixels matter... but if you haven't the glass (lens) to support the megapixels, it's pretty much worthless. I highly doubt that will.i.am is going to be giving us Zeiss or even L-series quality glass. Also, sensor size is a big factor in quality of pics. None of which you will get from an iDevice. Attachment or no.

You mean the ones shooting with tripods, studio lighting, and a collection of lenses costing more than the camera itself, to produce images that will be subject to considerable digital manipulation, cropping, and enlargement for ultimate use on posters and in full-page, glossy magazine ads (i.e., in applications where megapixels can matter a great deal)?

Those more interested in specs than photography might find it interesting to note that the iPhone 5 camera's sensor already packs more pixels per unit area than the (considerably larger) sensor in a 50 megapixel, 30 kilobuck Hasselblad, and, somewhat less disingenuously if equally irrelevantly, that the iPhone 5 touchscreen is significantly sharper than the camera's display, which, at 3 inches and "230k" (320*240*#{red,green,blue}) is on par with displays available in non-touchscreen contemporaries of the original iPhone.

You do realise I was just being jovially sarcastic and in no way meant it in the depth of thought that you clearly have warranted the post in needing ;) :p

We have a Hasselblad lenses and digital back 50 mega pixel monster in our studio, its makes the amount of photoshop work needed after to touch people up a royal pain because it captures every single pore and flaw regardless of how well lit the subject is or how much makeup they have plastered on, and the file sizes after a shoot are the stuff of nightmares. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What i like in the article is the last bit ".....We take over the camera..'

This sounds more like a hack, than anything else.

:rolleyes: Agreed. I've got my DSLR if I want to carry another camera with me.

My mate can't figure out why people take pictures with the iPhone (or all in one)... You get allot better with a DSLR, or standard point & shoot in some cases. why lower the quality ?

Even if you have to purchase a camera, he believes people may still do this, even though their iPhone already has one........ just to get a better image quality.

The only answer i gave him was..... "Because its for convenience" .... I'm sure thats not the only reason, but it was the only one i could come up with at the time.

Last edited:

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
why is will i am launching a camera add on? i can see him launching a speaker add on to make your music better. but a camera add on makes this story seem fake.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its the same feeling you buy something based on 'brand name". Because its better being a better brand.... No its not ....... Its all made in the same place.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Hmm this sounds very interesting, he has my attention. I surely would like to check this piece out...

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
I'm getting tired of my crappy iPhone Camera. I need to get a cannon or something that will take amazing pics.

The camera body is important... but not as important as the lenses you use.

----------

You do realise I was just being jovially sarcastic and in no way meant it in the depth of thought that you clearly have warranted the post in needing ;) :p

We have a Hasselblad lenses and digital back 50 mega pixel monster in our studio, its makes the amount of photoshop work needed after to touch people up a royal pain because it captures every single pore and flaw regardless of how well lit the subject is or how much makeup they have plastered on, and the file sizes after a shoot are the stuff of nightmares. :)

Why bother cleaning up pictures with people with imperfect skin and flaws? I've familiar with fashion magazines... all of those models are flawless, just look at the pics. ;-)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

So the iPhone 5 takes better pictures than the Hasselblad. Who would have ever thought we'd see this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.