Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff123816

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
If rumors of the 6s are true, they will be a tiny bit thicker than the current 6/6 Plus models. Would this miniscule difference prevent the cases designed for the 6 from fitting on the 6s?

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
Probably won't know until it is out. Some cases may have the extra room, but others like snap cases most likely will not.

Reactions: ABC5S

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
The dimensions are rumored to increase 0.2mm (6.9mm to 7.1mm on the 6, and 7.1mm to 7.3mm on the Plus) which isn't a whole lot, but if your case is really tight on phone, the case might not fit on the 6s/6s+.

Edit: Changed values

Last edited:

MaxBga

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
France
I really hope so.. I heard that it's only on the screen area so not on the aluminum chassis so I think it won't affect case compatibility

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I really hope so.. I heard that it's only on the screen area so not on the aluminum chassis so I think it won't affect case compatibility

Well, UnboxTherapy (yes, the goon who started the whole "Bendgate" thing) has received an iPhone 6s chassis and has taken measurements of it. The phone's dimensions are slightly bigger than the iPhone 6 right now.

MaxBga

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
France
Well, UnboxTherapy (yes, the goon who started the whole "Bendgate" thing) has received an iPhone 6s chassis and has taken measurements of it. The phone's dimensions are slightly bigger than the iPhone 6 right now.

Oh.. I totally forgot about this video eventhough I watched it lol.. Well I really hope there will be zero issues with 6 cases.

I ordered a case just for the 6s plus I'm getting (going back to a black iPhone) & if it doesnt fit i'm gonna be soooo pissed. (Expensive + comes from the US since we only have ugly cases out here in France lol).

Reactions: Flow39

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My speculation is that with .2 mm difference, stretchy silicone cases will be ok, but rigid ones might not be, but probably will be too.

For reference, a dollar bill is .109 mm thick. :eek:

The dimensions are rumored to increase 0.02mm (.69mm to .71mm on the 6, and .71mm to .73mm on the Plus) which isn't a whole lot, but if your case is really tight on phone, the case might not fit on the 6s/6s+.

.2, not .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Flow39

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I use a Sedio Surface case on my 6+ and keep a folded $100 bill in between the phone back and case and it does not make it tight at all. Like others said it all depends on the case.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California
If rumors of the 6s are true, they will be a tiny bit thicker than the current 6/6 Plus models. Would this miniscule difference prevent the cases designed for the 6 from fitting on the 6s?
Based on current rumors, it sounds like the iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker. Not noticeably, but maybe enough to require a new case. We really won't know for sure until the phone is announced.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I know nobody knows 100% for sure (at least nobody that's talking)...wonder how different the hardware of the iPhone 6s+ be from the hardware on the 6+?

The reason I ask, is because I've bought a black Apple leather case and ZAGG glass screen protector already in anticipation of getting an iPhone 6s+ when they're released...since both products were sold out quickly last year with the release of the 6+. Do you guys think the old cases/screen protectors will still fit given the different camera and FaceTime camera? I see a ton of iPhone 6/6+ cases being sold on other Apple-specific websites...and I'm worried I may have wasted money!

Reactions: iVegas

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
maybe so but you can bet loads of new cases will be out to make sure it isn't too tight and to make more money

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
The reason I ask, is because I've bought a black Apple leather case and ZAGG glass screen protector already in anticipation of getting an iPhone 6s+ when they're released...since both products were sold out quickly last year with the release of the 6+. Do you guys think the old cases/screen protectors will still fit given the different camera and FaceTime camera? I see a ton of iPhone 6/6+ cases being sold on other Apple-specific websites...and I'm worried I may have wasted money!

Apple store return policy is 14 days. So if you got it very recently then you have time to return it after the announcement on the 9th.

I also picked one up just in case.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
From what rumors are suggesting, I have concluded that the iPhone 6 cases such as Outter Box and LifeProof won't work with the 6S because rumors suggest the iPhone 6S will be sliughtlly thinker and longer. However, basic snap on cases should be just fine. They might have a tighter fit, but that is about it.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011

At 2:38 in the video look at the way he is holding the calliper at an angel so as to not get a true reading. The question is did he do that on purpose or because he is too stupid to know how to use them?

Reactions: bronzi

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If it's a silicone case, then you should be fine. If it's a hard case, I wouldn't.

The 6s is going to be thicker, taller and wider.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Wouldn't this be the first S update that alters the body entirely and makes all cases obsolete?

I am expecting all will fit....looking forward to the stronger material

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Wouldn't this be the first S update that alters the body entirely and makes all cases obsolete?

I suspect it may well be thicker but I would be surprised if it was taller and wider.

Rumours. Watch this video though. It's long but worth it. Jump to 4:20 where he talks about dimensions.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013

If my memory serves me right the 4S had different antenna breaks and a slighty different mute switch position. So a lot of iPhone 4 cases were useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.