Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d3vi1

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
That's it !

1) I boot without "mm 0003003E 8 -pci" so there is not enough memory for my graphic card.

2) Go to Device manager and switch my AMD Default drivers (the one that Win8CP provide) for Generic Graphic Card

3) Reboot and see there still is not enough memory for my graphic card

4) Reboot and start Efi Shell

4) Execute "mm 0003003E 8 -pci" then "efi/boot/bootx64.efi"

5) … tadaaa my graphic card has no problem !!!

6) … BUT launch Windows Update and ask for update with the new AMD Default Drivers and … splash black screen !

We need an appropriate Win 8 drivers for Radeon Mobility and there is no official drivers for the "Under" 5000 series.

I try with the new Catalist 12.4 Win7 x64 drivers but same thing : during install screen become black but the computer continues working.

I try Catalist Control Center for Win7 and Win8 but it doesn't work when the accelerated part of the graphic card is desactivated

I try the external video output but it doesn't works also.

The only solutions I could see are : there is another EFI command register AND there is another drivers (new Win8 drivers, I will test several others win7 drivers ... maybe ?)

Regardless of the driver that you're using, running "mm 0003003E 8 -pci" is mandatory before every boot. That's what I wanted my application to actually do.
Furthermore, trying this on Windows 8 is also not very smart. There are quite a few reasons for getting troubles in Windows 8. Foremost is compatibility between the drivers and the OS. In some of the scenarios that you're using, the problems might arrive from the drivers or the OS version, not Windows plus the firmware like in Windows 7.

Remember to always enable Remote Desktop. You need to be able to connect from somewhere to see what's going on.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Furthermore, trying this on Windows 8 is also not very smart. There are quite a few reasons for getting troubles in Windows 8. Foremost is compatibility between the drivers and the OS. In some of the scenarios that you're using, the problems might arrive from the drivers or the OS version, not Windows plus the firmware like in Windows 7.

That's what I wanted !!! ... but Windows 7 Install files refuse to boot on my computer. The only way to install it is to replace install.wim from Win7 in the Win8 install files. But at the first reboot during the install process it stop. I try to launch \EFI\bootx64.efi or \EFI\Microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi that the installer place in the ESP partition

I read that it's because the EFI launcher of Windows 7 has a "bug" the way it access the NTFS partition in GPT disk. Nevertheless the way my system react was exactly the same as I launch bootx64.efi from the WIN7 CD : it stop responding but the screen still display the efi shell.
Anyway is there a NTFS EFI drivers in order to access the Windows partition by the EFI shell ? So I could launch directly from its partition ? If it's possible, wich files do I have to launch.

Otherwise could I use some files of Windows 8 to launch Windows 7 ?

Remember to always enable Remote Desktop. You need to be able to connect from somewhere to see what's going on.

Good Idea ; I don't know how to use Remote Desktop but try with TeamViewer

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Regardless of the driver that you're using, running "mm 0003003E 8 -pci" is mandatory before every boot. That's what I wanted my application to actually do.

Unfortunately, after the initial Win7 installation sequence where the first reboot is required a crash occurs when attempting to boot the OS. That's a dead end and I don't see a way around that.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Unfortunately, after the initial Win7 installation sequence where the first reboot is required a crash occurs when attempting to boot the OS. That's a dead end and I don't see a way around that.

... till we replace the install.wim in Win8, it was a dead end to simply launch Windows 7 install.
Is it possible to replace file in the Windows 7 partition that we freshly install by some of Windows 8 ?

Anyway d3vi1 has an coming soon app for that !

I'm wondering about the EFI drivers update from other Mac !

One more questions : Does microsoft has "update" the way Windows 7 handles EFI installation with SP1 ! ... it could be a hope if SP2 arrives one day.

Last edited:

srs5694

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I read that it's because the EFI launcher of Windows 7 has a "bug" the way it access the NTFS partition in GPT disk. Nevertheless the way my system react was exactly the same as I launch bootx64.efi from the WIN7 CD : it stop responding but the screen still display the efi shell.
Anyway is there a NTFS EFI drivers in order to access the Windows partition by the EFI shell ? So I could launch directly from its partition ? If it's possible, wich files do I have to launch.

I'm skeptical that this would help any, but I do know of an NTFS driver for EFI. It's bundled as part of the Clover Hackintosh boot loader's "tools" package, available here. (You'll need to register to download it.) Note that the file (NTFS-64.efi) is buried inside an .app folder (I've never tried running it as a Mac application). I did a quick test of this driver under VirtualBox, and it worked in that environment. I have not tested it on a Mac. Also, there's no indication of the file's provenance; I don't know where it came from and I can't vouch for its safety, although I also have no reason to doubt its safety. You should be able to get either rEFIt or rEFInd to load it for you, if you decide to give it a try.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
The EFI NTFS drivers works well. However it doesn't help in order to launch Windows 7.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Is it possible to launch Windows 7 (The O.S. NOT the Setup) from WinPE 4.0 ? ... and How ?

For me this is the last solution before d3vi1 app !

Last edited:

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
For my Mac Mini Model 2011 with built-in Intel HD3000 Graphics, the VGA controller is on bus 0. This means the VGA controller is directly connected to bus 0 without a PCI bridge. Hence I do not have to set the VGAE register of the PCI bridge. Furthermore, the PCI command register is already 7 so I do not have to set it as well. However, I am not able to boot EFI with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I will end up with a black screen. So there must be some other setting to be set which nobody has found yet. Also the d3v1l program will end up in a black screen.

I guess I have the same Mac Mini 2011 (specs) with the same problem.
After installing Windows 8 CP in EFI I get a green screen for just a bit followed by a black screen that last forever.

I did manage to get this error message from F8, Enable low-resolution video.
I hope this means something to you?

Any ideas?

Edit:
No idea if this is important, but I can access the Windows 8 disk by booting another disk with Windows 7 installed (BIOS mode).
Maybe I can copy drivers from the Win7 install to the Win8 install?

Will this help or is this totally unrelated?
Intel quote: We will release the Windows 8* beta drivers beginning in early May on http://downloadcenter.intel.com supporting 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000. These drivers will support all the features of Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) v1.2.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I guess I have the same Mac Mini 2011 (specs) with the same problem.
After installing Windows 8 CP in EFI I get a green screen for just a bit followed by a black screen that last forever.

I did manage to get this error message from F8, Enable low-resolution video.
I hope this means something to you?

Any ideas?

Edit:
No idea if this is important, but I can access the Windows 8 disk by booting another disk with Windows 7 installed (BIOS mode).
Maybe I can copy drivers from the Win7 install to the Win8 install?

Will this help or is this totally unrelated?
Intel quote: We will release the Windows 8* beta drivers beginning in early May on http://downloadcenter.intel.com supporting 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000. These drivers will support all the features of Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) v1.2.

Are you tried to delete the Default Intel Graphic Drivers ; I think you could do that by starting in command line (option when you press F8 at windows boot) or by your Windows 7 in BIOS mode.

For Ati-Card the command looks like "del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS" (without "") ; I don't know witch file to delete for IntelGraphic-Card. The result would be that Windows autoselect the "Generic Vga adapter" driver at next boot.

In my case, I have to select "Generic Vga adapter" driver instead of the "Ati Default drivers" before to set the register. Without this I have a black screen but my computer still running.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Are you tried to delete the Default Intel Graphic Drivers ; I think you could do that by starting in command line (option when you press F8 at windows boot) or by your Windows 7 in BIOS mode.

For Ati-Card the command looks like "del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS" (without "") ; I don't know witch file to delete for IntelGraphic-Card. The result would be that Windows autoselect the "Generic Vga adapter" driver at next boot.

In my case, I have to select "Generic Vga adapter" driver instead of the "Ati Default drivers" before to set the register. Without this I have a black screen but my computer still running.

Do I understand correctly that you also had the black screen and after deleting your ATI video driver it worked for you?
Then all I have to figure out is what Intel video driver files to delete... :)

BTW
How did you get the NIC and other hardware working?
The stuff you usually get working by installing the Boot Camp drivers...

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, me too.
Do you happen to know which file(s) to delete?
(I have the same Mac Mini 2011 model)

I don't know but you could test with your Win7 installation : from device manager click twice on your graphic card / try to update driver / select "use drivers on your computer" / windows will present a list of compatible and installed drivers where you can find the "default intel graphic card drivers" and all the drivers YOU install.
Then select this "default intel graphic card drivers" / reboot your mac / from device manager click twice on your graphic card / and select "list files of the drivers" ... then you could see a *.sys that you have to delete on your Win8 installation if Microsoft has not rename it.

---

I think there is another solution : try to disable "VGA Enable" on your PCI bridge. with an "mm" command in EFI shell.

With this solution I think you could start Windows 8 but in device manager you'll have an "exclamation point" on your Intel Graphic Card which indicates that the device has not enough memory. At this point you could change your graphic card for "Generic Vga Adapter" and reboot without disable "VGA Enable" on your PCI bridge.

---
When you delete the Intel driver, Windows will use the basic VGA driver which is non-accelerated.

In Windows 7 the "Generic VGA adapter" gave no-acceleration and the windows 7 gave a score of 1 but in Windows 8 you will have some accelerations ! I did the "Windows Test" and the score is 3.5.

With the "Generic VGA adapter" you could not set the resolution so the resolution you choose in OSX will be the resolution in Win8. (OSX seems to could modify EFI values "in live". Is those values are store in what some people name NVRAM ?)

I think it could be a part of the problem : some drivers (WDDM 1.1 ?) couldn't read the values and so give a black screen. It could be interesting to know the changelog between WDDM 1.1 to WWDM 1.2. Actually maybe it was already in WDDM 1.1 but I couldn't test Windows 7 doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Of course your are on Windows 8 Desktop !

In order to go into EFI shell you have to install a bootloader like rEFInd !

In your case you do not have to. Prefer to try "Windows Update" maybe Intel has put a new driver which handle EFI.
But take care because if the new driver has the same problem, you will have to uninstall it and it could be more difficult if the drivers is more complex than the default one.

I think there is something weird with EFI / NVRAM / SMC / PRAM ; the last two seems to be very specific to our mac and maybe Microsoft/Intel/Nvidia do not handle it.

Cross Fingers

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
As I can see on your screen-copy you have to install Bootcamp drivers.

In order to do that with the most up-to-date files you could launch BootCamp.app from OSX and ask for download the Windows Support files only. Then boot to Windows and install it BUT I think it could be important to delete from the WindowsSupport folder the INTEL-Graphic package witch could give you the black screen.

... now experiment and give us your result !

Read you soon !

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Installing the Boot Camp drivers fixed all the drivers for the "Other devices" but the video and audio yellow exclamation marks remain.

I did update the video driver (igdkmd64.sys) and it went from version 9.17.10.2584 to 9.17.10.2661 but unfortunately after that I had the same problem of the "black screen". I did rename the video driver again, but that didn't help.

The Windows boot now loops with error 0xC000021A.

I think one cause of error 0xC000021A is "Mismatched system files have been installed". So I think this is caused by one of the Boot Camp drivers... (?)
Did not happen the 2nd time I tried...see below...

Hhmm, I guess it is time to reinstall...

BTW
The Windows Experience Index for Graphics and Gaming Graphics were both 2.0 (or something like that).

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
So we have different graphic hardware but same problem !

My guess is that something went wrong due to Mac specificity and could not be solved by drivers update. As I said maybe we miss to set another register !

It could be interesting to know how OSX set the EFI register for him to mimic it. Does it sets it at boot or does it changes it on the fly (i.e. is the backlight-screen is set on the fly by OSX which is changing EFI register) ?

---

You also will see that Bootcamp panel don't work because of the first pane of it ("Start" pane) which try to read some sector which only exist in MBR disk. The most annoying is that you cannot activate "touch for click" and "two fingers for right click" for MagicMouse/Trackpad.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
BTW
I don't have any OSX installed / no trackpad / no magic mouse.
On my Windows 7 install I just deleted the Boot Camp application after the drivers installed so that doesn't bother me.

If I just had good video and sound then I would definitely go for Windows 8 because of AHCI...
I hope there are no issues with AHCI?

Edit:
Hhmm, the install process is a bit (...) unpredictable.
Only after 4 (imo the same) installs I got it working again...

Last edited:

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Regarding the drivers for your Mac Mini Model 2011, I think it is wise to use non-Bootcamp drivers wherever possible. This means you can install the following drivers:

1. Intel HM65 Chipset drivers.
http://www.intel.com -> Support -> Download Latest Drivers -> Chipsets -> Chipset Software -> Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility -> Intel Chipset Device Software- Primarily for Intel 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets (Date 12/4/2011, version 9.3.0.1019).

2. . Downloading the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Lan Driver.
http://www.broadcom.com -> Downloads And Support -> Ethernet NICs -> Download Drivers -> NetXtreme (57765).

After installing these two drivers, you can install the Bootcamp drivers manually:

3. Broadcom 802.11n wireless and bluetooth drivers.
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleBluetoothBroadcomInstaller64.exe
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Broadcom\BroadcomNetworkAdapterWin7_64.exe

4. Cirrus Audio Driver:
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Cirrus\CirrusAudio64.exe

5. Apple NullDriver (I do not know what it is, but it is necessary).
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleNullDriver64.exe

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Regarding the drivers for your Mac Mini Model 2011, I think it is wise to use non-Bootcamp drivers wherever possible. This means you can install the following drivers:

1. Intel HM65 Chipset drivers.
http://www.intel.com -> Support -> Download Latest Drivers -> Chipsets -> Chipset Software -> Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility -> Intel Chipset Device Software- Primarily for Intel 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets (Date 12/4/2011, version 9.3.0.1019).

2. . Downloading the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Lan Driver.
http://www.broadcom.com -> Downloads And Support -> Ethernet NICs -> Download Drivers -> NetXtreme (57765).

After installing these two drivers, you can install the Bootcamp drivers manually:

3. Broadcom 802.11n wireless and bluetooth drivers.
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleBluetoothBroadcomInstaller64.exe
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Broadcom\BroadcomNetworkAdapterWin7_64.exe

4. Cirrus Audio Driver:
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Cirrus\CirrusAudio64.exe

5. Apple NullDriver (I do not know what it is, but it is necessary).
\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleNullDriver64.exe

I use pretty same procedure. You didn't mention Intel-Inf which update AHCI drivers BUT there is also Intel RST which update also AHCI drivers ; I don't know the difference between both.

I think Apple NullDriver is like Intel-Inf (i.e it update the name for my webcam to "Apple Webcam" and for some systems devices)

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
I use pretty same procedure. You didn't mention Intel-Inf which update AHCI drivers BUT there is also Intel RST which update also AHCI drivers ; I don't know the difference between both.

I think Apple NullDriver is like Intel-Inf (i.e it update the name for my webcam to "Apple Webcam" and for some systems devices)
Interesting. Can you tell me where you can download this "Intel-Inf" driver.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Our only hope is now for Intel to release the Win8 video drivers. Let's hope that it will work with these drivers.

Just to be sure.

We have the 2nd generation "Sandy Bridge" processor right?
Mac Mini 2011 Intel HD3000 Hardware specs.

Original post on Intel forum.
In other words we have to wait for the Windows 8 driver release early May and hope for the best?

----------

So everything is working for you(*) except the video driver?

(*) no yellow exclamation points in device manager

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.