Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Works for me as well! Based on your instructions.

Question:

From the EFI shell started from DUET, how do you chainload Windows 8?
I cannot access the Windows 8 install HDD or the Windows 8 setup USB.
There is only fs0: which is the DUET USB.
I guess exiting the EFI shell and starting Windows 8 from the DUET boot manager will reset the adjustments done in the EFI shell?

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
During what part of the installation are you seeing this error?
It's not during the installation. Windows 8 is already installed on the GPT disk. Windows 8 already works with the basic video driver. With accelerated video driver, Windows 8 runs into a black screen. Therefore, we startup in DUET and chainload to Windows 8. The Fish Welcome screen starts, and then after 15 seconds you get the error.

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Question:

From the EFI shell started from DUET, how do you chainload Windows 8?
I cannot access the Windows 8 install HDD or the Windows 8 setup USB.
There is only fs0: which is the DUET USB.
I guess exiting the EFI shell and starting Windows 8 from the DUET boot manager will reset the adjustments done in the EFI shell?
Yes, I had the same problem first. You have to go into the DUET BIOS menu and select the Boot Manager from DUET and then select the harddisk. In order to get into the DUET BIOS menu, you have to press a key on your keyboard during booting. This keypress should be after you see the TianoCore message.

Last edited:

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Yes, I had the same problem first. You have to go into the DUET BIOS menu and select the Boot Manager from DUET and then select the harddisk. In order to get into the DUET BIOS menu, you have to press a key on your keyboard during booting. This keypress should be after you see the TianoCore message.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't get beyond the Windows 8 error:
:( KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Any ideas yet on how to dump the correct EFI settings in "BIOS emulation->EFI mode" (DUET) so they can be compared (and used) in EFI mode?
At first dump all settings? (although I am not convinced that all settings should be applied; e.g. will AHCI be blocked?)
Is there a command that does this or should we write/generate a script?

EFI shell -> Apply correct settings -> Chainload Windows 8

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
If anyone else here has a 2011 15" MBP and needs a dump let me know. I will re-install Win7 (non-UEFI) and send you the PCI config spaces dumped from within Windows.

I have 2 disks. One with Win7 in BIOS mode and one with Win8 in EFI mode. But how do you dump all settings? So startup with an identical setup in EFI mode as in BIOS emulation?

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
I'm investing in a video card relatively soon here for my Mac Pro. The key part here is that I am going to basically buy a regular nvidia GPU (GTX 580), then mod it with a new EFI chip. Once this happens, I can then test EFI booting on a multiGPU system and be able to help you guys out a little more. I'm still VERY interested in this thread.

bssayeda

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
No, I'm referring to the initial installation when the installer fails because it is unable to update the MS boot loader. Someone posted instructions on how to bypass that error.

Can you link the one you are talking about? I looked all over and there are a lot of different instructions so i don't want to screw up my installs doing the wrong one...

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
The installation crashes during the initial installation phase. It's a big step back.

I was able to install the release preview on my MacBook Air in EFI mode. I didn't experience a crash until the final reboot. I got the usual black screen after that. I was able to boot into safe mode, though, and disable the Intel driver. I'm running it just great under EFI mode using the Microsoft Basic Display driver.

Capture.png

acsikos

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
beware! bricked my mac mini

Just wanna tell you my story with Win 7 x64 install on mac mini (2010).
I switched to SSD (Agility 3) and decided to give it a try - install Win7 x64 without OSX (and bootcamp assistant).
Everything seemed perfect, Win7 boot in seconds but after a reboot my mac mini stuck at the grey screen. no apple logo, no spinning wheel. no respond to any keyboard combo and the PVRAM/SMC reset is useless, too :(
At the Service they said my EFI corrupted and there is no way to restore it.
So I got an iBrick :(
Do you guys have any idea how can I fix this? Or heard any service that can repair/replace EFI chip?

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
Just wanna tell you my story with Win 7 x64 install on mac mini (2010).
I switched to SSD (Agility 3) and decided to give it a try - install Win7 x64 without OSX (and bootcamp assistant).
Everything seemed perfect, Win7 boot in seconds but after a reboot my mac mini stuck at the grey screen. no apple logo, no spinning wheel. no respond to any keyboard combo and the PVRAM/SMC reset is useless, too :(
At the Service they said my EFI corrupted and there is no way to restore it.
So I got an iBrick :(
Do you guys have any idea how can I fix this? Or heard any service that can repair/replace EFI chip?

I don't think your EFI is broken. Try inserting an OS X disc or the Windows install disk and hold down option. Boot into the "Windows" mode and not using EFI. If you can install the OS in that manner, you should be ok.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I was able to install the release preview on my MacBook Air in EFI mode. I didn't experience a crash until the final reboot. I got the usual black screen after that. I was able to boot into safe mode, though, and disable the Intel driver. I'm running it just great under EFI mode using the Microsoft Basic Display driver

So nothing more to wait from Microsoft !

acsikos

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
I don't think your EFI is broken. Try inserting an OS X disc or the Windows install disk and hold down option. Boot into the "Windows" mode and not using EFI. If you can install the OS in that manner, you should be ok.

I have tried the option key, the ctrl+cmd+p+r combo, d key (for apple hardware test), c key (boot from DVD)... but nothing... the startup manager doesn't show up. just the plain grey screen :(
but anyway, thanks the idea... any other? :)

acsikos

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Have you tried using the firmware restoration CD?

no, I haven't. because there is no FW restoration CD that suitable to mac min 4,1. at least I haven't find it at the apple site :(

Anyway I don't give up the hope that somehow I can reflash the Atmel EEPROM. I think that hold the EFI data. Am I right?

Is there anybody here with this kind of Mac Mini? Because I desperately need a dump from a working mac mini 4,1. I will be very happy if someone throw me with EFI dump :)

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
no, I haven't. because there is no FW restoration CD that suitable to mac min 4,1. at least I haven't find it at the apple site :(

Anyway I don't give up the hope that somehow I can reflash the Atmel EEPROM. I think that hold the EFI data. Am I right?

Is there anybody here with this kind of Mac Mini? Because I desperately need a dump from a working mac mini 4,1. I will be very happy if someone throw me with EFI dump :)

Damn... did Apple at least quote you a price to fix this? I think a short bit of googling and found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1383424?start=0&tstart=0

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
So it's possible to launch the Win8 RP installer while booted in WinPE 4 and get back to the same "cannot update boot configuration" state that I saw when installing the Consumer Preview. I'm just not up to jumping through the same hoops again. Maybe sometime next week if I nothing else to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.