Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Huh. That's actually the opposite of what I thought it'd be. I haven't seen Windows on a high DPI screen yet, but I figured its rendering shortcomings would be overcome by having more pixels thrown at it.

edit: I take that back. I have seen it running on an SP3 in stores. Looked decent enough to me, and I figured it'd look that much better the closer you get to the 300 PPI sweet spot.
I always hated how OSX rendered fonts on my non-retina macs. Always seemed like a blurry mess. Windows fonts might not have been accurate compared to printouts, but at least they were readable.

With high DPI screens, the differences are diminished.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let us know how it works, looking at getting a SP 3.
So far things are rock solid. I did have an issue with outlook not liking a setting I had for my iCloud mail, I re-inputted the same settings and it resolved it. I also had to reinstall office right after I upgraded to windows 10 but other then there's been no problems

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
...or you could install something like GDIPP, though they don't always work with everything.

Those programs work great with anything *except* Modern apps in Windows, so it's really a non starter. Many apps already are Modern and more will be in the future, so that solution is dead in the water. I already use MacType for all Win32 apps and that's great, but Modern apps look horrible. No fixing that as of right now.

Renzatic

Suspended
Those programs work great with anything *except* Modern apps in Windows, so it's really a non starter. Many apps already are Modern and more will be in the future, so that solution is dead in the water. I already use MacType for all Win32 apps and that's great, but Modern apps look horrible. No fixing that as of right now.

GDIPP, which is the one I've used the most, messes up the text in a couple of my programs. I have to add those to an exclusion list just to be able to read anything in them. I haven't used Mactype, but I figured it'd be in the same boat.

Modern apps, well, they're hit and miss. I think the text rendering in Edge looks pretty decent at times, though there are a couple apps that look about like they're using the old Win32 rendering engine.

Last edited:

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
GDIPP, which is the one I've used the most, messes up the text in a couple of my programs. I have to add those to an exclusion list just to be able to read anything in them. I haven't used Mactype, but I figured it'd be in the same boat.

Modern apps, well, they're hit and miss. I think the text rendering in Edge looks pretty decent at times, though there are a couple apps that look about like they're using the old Win32 rendering engine.

MacType is based on the same foundation as GDIPP, it's just more recenly maintained, which is why I chose to use that - I imagine the results are very similar. But I am very disappointed with the text rendering in Edge, though yes it does look decent.. at times.. sometimes.

Example:

Edge, Chrome (with MacType) and Firefox (with MacType) and compare at the first line for example (10 posts etc.) .. (make sure you look at it full size, the forum scales down images by default)

Attachments

• edge_chrome_ff.png
    edge_chrome_ff.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 219

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Make the OS more heavy to increase new hardware sales and don't support older hardware - Microsoft broke this culture now with Windows 10. I guess some Apple Marketing guys will have headache how to react and catch up. Personally, my next Laptop does not need to be a MB anymore ( with all the built-in artificial, intentional incompatibilities ) , a good quality notebook will fit the bill.

Reactions: doug in albq
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Windows 10 already has twice as many users on Steam than the most stable version of Yosemite. Could catch up with Windows 7 by next year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 182

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Windows 10 already has twice as many users on Steam than the most stable version of Yosemite. Could catch up with Windows 7 by next year.

Not the best method of calculating total users as most people who own a Maxc and wish to game install Windows via Bootcamp. Looking at website visitors for big sites would give much more realistic and fair results.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
This is going to be a problem for Apple in terms of hardware because there are PC companies putting out superior machines than Macs (ex: Dell XPS 13 9343 vs. MacBook Air or Razer Blade vs. MacBook Pro).

It depends what your priorities are. The Razer is noisy, hot, comparatively poor battery life and is a knock-off in terms of design. The trackpad is not as good and it runs Windows.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Make the OS more heavy to increase new hardware sales and don't support older hardware - Microsoft broke this culture now with Windows 10. I guess some Apple Marketing guys will have headache how to react and catch up. Personally, my next Laptop does not need to be a MB anymore ( with all the built-in artificial, intentional incompatibilities ) , a good quality notebook will fit the bill.
Windows 7 already broke that cycle. And MS really reduced hardware requirements with Windows 8. Windows 8 is a far better OS than its reputation, people just got hung up on the UI change. Most of what makes Windows 10 fast is already in 8. The only difference in 10 is that they changed the UI but most of the speed and low hardware requirements comes from the 8.1 foundation.
Windows 8 needed to run on weak tablet hardware and that is why MS had to put some work into lowering hardware requirements. It is the move to more mobility that the entire industry went. If MS didn't want to give ground to Android, they had to do something. They gain nothing but bad word of mouth from increasing hardware requirements. They aren't a hardware company.

Ka Tec

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
A day ago I received my Macbook 1.3ghz and was really dissapointed with the performance of Yosemite to point of returning the unit. I've just installed Windows 10 Enterprise via bootcamp. It is very early days but so far it is chalk and cheese. Windows 10 flys in comparison to Yosemite. Opening browsers, start menu, program just feels snappy. So far comparing the basic usage to my surface pro 3 i5, I do not see any noticable difference..... but again early days

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
This really is temping me to install Windows 10 on my iMac... I've gotten into gaming recently, and not having a Windows PC limits what I can play on my iMac.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
This really is temping me to install Windows 10 on my iMac... I've gotten into gaming recently, and not having a Windows PC limits what I can play on my iMac.

Highly recommend it, very easy to boot in and out of Windows and gaming on Windows is far supers over Mac OS; both in terms of quantity (way more games) and quality (DirectX allowing for better looking effects, but also much better performance).

And if you don't want to fork out the 80 odd quid for Windows 8.1/10, I have a friend who is using the Developer Preview for games and its free to use once you have created your dev account. The way this is free is due to you getting updates the stage before the customer version gets them. Just an idea for you :)

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
MS broke this with Windows 7, which could run on pretty much anything. Though my MBP (Early-2011) has supported Lion, ML, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan. Not really sure what your point is. Apple supports hardware for quite some time.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
A day ago I received my Macbook 1.3ghz and was really dissapointed with the performance of Yosemite to point of returning the unit. I've just installed Windows 10 Enterprise via bootcamp. It is very early days but so far it is chalk and cheese. Windows 10 flys in comparison to Yosemite. Opening browsers, start menu, program just feels snappy. So far comparing the basic usage to my surface pro 3 i5, I do not see any noticable difference..... but again early days
Try using El Capitan. You'll notice a difference straight away.

Reactions: birnando

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
MS broke this with Windows 7, which could run on pretty much anything. Though my MBP (Early-2011) has supported Lion, ML, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan. Not really sure what your point is. Apple supports hardware for quite some time.

Sure. Bought my MBP 7.1 ( mid 2010, 13" ) in 2010, brand new. One year later came Windows 8. Not supported. Quite some time :) .

Last edited:

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Well I must say:

I have a gaming pc which was running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 and I took a system image of it in case the upgrade went horribly wrong.

Windows 10 is to put it shortly - excellent! I am really impressed with Redmond's effort this time around and I LIKED 8.1! Ok, there are a few UI issues with inconsistency (notable when right-clicking on the desktop, start menu and task bar) but overall for a fresh release, I am extremely impressed. I want to use it as my daily driver and get more experienced with it, but that PC is at my parents and my iMac is where i live day-to-day.

Well done Microsoft! I hope Apple steps up their game with performance when releasing El Capitan. And put Siri on the desktop, for goodness sake. Ever since Macs started shipping with dual Mics, I thought Siri on the desktop would be a thing...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Well I must say:

I have a gaming pc which was running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 and I took a system image of it in case the upgrade went horribly wrong.

Windows 10 is to put it shortly - excellent! I am really impressed with Redmond's effort this time around and I LIKED 8.1! Ok, there are a few UI issues with inconsistency (notable when right-clicking on the desktop, start menu and task bar) but overall for a fresh release, I am extremely impressed. I want to use it as my daily driver and get more experienced with it, but that PC is at my parents and my iMac is where i live day-to-day.

Well done Microsoft! I hope Apple steps up their game with performance when releasing El Capitan. And put Siri on the desktop, for goodness sake. Ever since Macs started shipping with dual Mics, I thought Siri on the desktop would be a thing...
Do we need Siri on a desktop? I don't think it would be particularly useful. I don't really get why cortana is useful.

Also, El Capitan is a vast improvement over Yosemite in every area, most notably in performance. I like Windows 10, but the UI is far from refined and there's a lot of fit-and-finish issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.