Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
one thing nobody else has noticed.
What hunts longhorn......jaguar!!!! :D
I wonder if microsoft thought of this before they named their OS after a large cow???

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
if this is the new MS OS then jaguar isnt hunting longhorn at all. Longhorn is already dead and being eaten for tea.

For the num-nut user, XP makes things easier (i use a mac), it is a whole lot friendlier in keeping the user out of places where they shouldn't be and helps them with the task pane in all explorer windows.

For experienced users, they can switch it off and go back to the old ways of doing things. But experienced users know where to look to turn the crap off.

Those who can, will. Thos that can't, wont.

Originally posted by smegdude
one thing nobody else has noticed.
What hunts longhorn......jaguar!!!! :D
I wonder if microsoft thought of this before they named their OS after a large cow???
It's not a cow. It's named after a place at the base of the mountain called Whistler (Windows XP) in British Columbia not far from Microsoft's campus.
Originally posted by j763
still going to have antiquited system layers, causing in a massive overhead.
What overhead? Mac OS X taxes processors a lot. From what I've seen, Longhorn is just as fast as Windows XP on a moderate computer.

And how is it still going to be utter crap? You haven't used it.
What a load of crap to think that what amounts to non-useful, non-necessary, M$-style in-your-face "functionality" becomes a standard interface "feature". Going by their recent offerings, M$ will probably make this the default of their new OS as well, requiring even the computer newbies to learn enough to shut it off, if they even realize that it CAN be shut off.
Windows Longhorn's dock/sidebar isn't even turned on by default. It's far more customizable than the Mac OS X dock.

Besides, it's a friggin Alpha. We've got a plenty while before it's officially released.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Besides, it's a friggin Alpha. We've got a plenty while before it's officially released.

Yep. Alpha. It is released in 3 (three) years!!! Until then, Apple will have 10.4 or whatever - and M$ will release 2005 an "innovative and new" version of our today´s dock.

How lame.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
What overhead? Mac OS X taxes processors a lot.

Mac OS X does not "tax" processors at all! Where'd you get that from?

Longhorn is just as fast as Windows XP on a moderate computer.

That's the entire point! Windows XP is incredibly bloated and has a massive overhead. As much as M$ like to pretend that there's not, there is in fact still a DOS system layer in there. M$ has got tons of layers in there... What happens when one gets busy? You wait.

That's why the Macs don't look so incredibly slow compared to machines running Windows -- Windows is so damn inefficient. You throw Linux on a PC and wow. Goodbye OS X.

And how is it still going to be utter crap? You haven't used it.
You make that assumption based on what? I have actually used it FYI.

Windows Longhorn's dock/sidebar isn't even turned on by default. It's far more customizable than the Mac OS X dock.
um... who makes their decision as to what OS to use based on what the fricking sidebar or dock is like???

The Mac OS X DP's were *far* more promising than this thing is. And as we all know, M$'s actual releases are *so different* to their alphas :rolleyes:

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Re: Even the pinstripes...

Originally posted by mmoore00
Wow, they even took the OS X Pinstripes. Look at the "display properties" window.
If you look even closer the frame around the window is just a blue version of Apple's brushed metal

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Apple really need to start advertising OS X on TV, Show off the interface, the transitions, playing quicktime movies in the dock and stuff like that.

M$ are just going to beat them to it otherwise, look at all the ads for XP that show people stuff we've had in OS 9 already.

It's stupid how apple are more focused on a petty "windows sucks!" type campaign (in the US at least) when they've got that beautiful OS to show off to the world and it's enough to draw new people into buying a mac just for user experience.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by edvniow
There's actually a mini-review of the alpha here if you wanna take a look at it..

AAARRRGH!!! Burning DVDs! LOL! And the OS X styled "Plex Theme" is rated "amateurish and gaudy"... need to say more?

ROTFL... M$, the pure evil!

"My contacts"! "Windows Address book"! "Watercolored" "Plex theme" as a default!!

WAAAHHH!!

Originally posted by j763
Mac OS X does not "tax" processors at all! Where'd you get that from?
Oh, indeed it does tax the processors a lot! I'm not saying just the PowerPC G4, but also the GPU, the memory controller, etc. because Mac OS X is so damn big and the GUI is so bloated so it requires a gigahertz G4 and 2GB RAM to run Mac OS X's GUI as fast as Windows XP's on a 500 MHz PIII.
That's the entire point! Windows XP is incredibly bloated and has a massive overhead. As much as M$ like to pretend that there's not, there is in fact still a DOS system layer in there. M$ has got tons of layers in there... What happens when one gets busy? You wait.
Tell me again, WHAT massive overhead? Mac OS X has an incredibly slow microkernel, a slow UNIX, a slow processor. DOS doesn't exist on NT at all, just a "command line" (cmd.exe) window that people rarely run and programs rarely require. Yes, Microsoft's OS has a lot of layers, but so does Mac OS X. In fact, a PII 300 MHz or so would run Windows XP just fine, let's see, I'd need a 1 GHz G4 to run OS X satisfactorily. I've overflowed my Windows XP available RAM (I have 512MB, and have hit nearly 1GB with so many programs open and yet it's responsive, never had to wait because my processor is so much faster than the G4s. I'd be lucky to get that kind of performance out of Mac OS X on a "fast" 1 GHz. Just my experience.
That's why the Macs don't look so incredibly slow compared to machines running Windows -- Windows is so damn inefficient. You throw Linux on a PC and wow. Goodbye OS X.
Yeah, when I interact with a Mac it's all slow thanks to the PowerPC G4's status plus Mac OS X's overheads and so on, yet I'm much more productive on a PC (for now).

And Linux, as a desktop OS, haha, you've got to be kidding me. It's not going there anytime soon. Stick with Linux for servers.
You make that assumption based on what? I have actually used it FYI.
So you've used Longhorn? Where did you get it from? On what hardware did you install it on? etc.
um... who makes their decision as to what OS to use based on what the fricking sidebar or dock is like???
If their dock proves to be more useful than a competitors, then that's the benefit and my money is to that company who makes more useful products. PC's have been cheaper for me, more productive for me, faster, and provide the same level, if not more, of "usability."
The Mac OS X DP's were *far* more promising than this thing is. And as we all know, M$'s actual releases are *so different* to their alphas :rolleyes:
Yeah, because they've gone so far in the development cycle. When Windows XP was in alpha, it wasn't that much different from Windows 2000. But what do we have now? A different beast. That's a good thing. In fact, if I recall correctly, Mac OS X 10.0 and 10.1 did not have a GUI for a firewall, it was introduced in 10.2. Yet Windows XP had that in late 2001.

Btw, stike, in the About Windows for Windows Longhorn, it says version 2003. Who knows. It might be late 2003. No one knows yet what the final release date will be. 2005 is just an old date that the original NT 6.0 was scheduled for, but since they dropped 5.2 and moving straight to 6.0. It could be earlier.

Now back to kicking Motorola's ass for not producing faster G4s and waiting for the next Mac OS X version as it should be much more refined in speed and usability.

Some people just have higher expectations, some have lower expectations.

AmigaMac

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Can you say Quartz and Extreme?!!

Hmmm... this is old hat now, at least for us Mac folk! I love it when Mac OS X is 3 years ahead of Windows XP and anything else Microsoft tries to come up with that others have been there, done that, and got the teeshirt!

demonx

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2002
They could make it pink, and send it out with photos of Bill Gates in drag for all I care. It will always carry MS anti-privacy ideas with it, not to mention they will be bringing along Palladium technology with it. If you do not know what Palladium is, I suggest you look it up and so good bye to any form of privacy you think you have on your PC.:)

syco

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2002
Palladium is just a way to keep people from pirating stuff, and then make them more suseptible to spam, viruses, etc. It watchdogs anything you do. And, in my opinion, really, REALLY illegal.

demonx

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by syco
Palladium is just a way to keep people from pirating stuff, and then make them more suseptible to spam, viruses, etc. It watchdogs anything you do. And, in my opinion, really, REALLY illegal.

If it was just an anti piracy measure it would not be that big of a deal, its the exta "innovative features" that you get along with it when combined with windows that should be looked into.

But im sure the public will jump all over it, "Wow new version of Windows is out and it has Palladium Technology!!!!! I need that, whatever it is":rolleyes:

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i could not even make it through point 4 of the palladium faq before my brain hemmoraged and my eyes began to bleed. i never thought that someone might actually read 1984 and think, "hey, that's a good idea". do you think that people will actually buy into this technology? i'm sure that there are those out there who think, "improved security, it must be good!".

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
If THIS DISASTER is going to happen, I´ll throw away my computer and go living in the forests with the apes.

bigizzy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Windows Longhorn? 3-D?

Well file systems are not that easily designed. As far as SQL server is concerned..well infact the real concern is about it's scalability. It sure as a hell does not scale well.

Any body notice in the screen shot above how MS$ seems to have stolen the idea of virtual desktops from Unix/Linux UI's?

IMHO virtual desktops are a very versitile thing and apple should add it to OS X in the next release itself if possible.

Also when I was using Linux some years back there used to be a feature wherein you could be logged in as one user but you press alt+f1/f2/f3 and you would get a login prompt to login as a who new user. I think this too is a useful feature and should be added to OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.