wireless router for Macbook/PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Palmer, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Palmer macrumors member

2. coal macrumors regular

coal

That would work perfectly for you, though you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

I have the WRT54GL model and have changed the firmware which opens up a bunch of useful features. It's been sold since I began using it about 6 months ago.

I've also used the Netgear WGR614 which never went down for the two years it was in service. I'm sure others will have different opinions on Netgear products.

Also, for simplicity, you may just want to purchase an Airport Express. You'll be able to stream iTunes to a stereo and share a printer as well as have a stable wireless connection and easy setup. Good luck!

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apart from the obvious Apple choice, Linksys seems to work pretty well and they're dirt cheap. I've had no problems with attaching Macs or PC's, whereas I've had some issues with Netgear products recently.

4. cube macrumors G4

Don't get the WRT54G, which is crippled since version 5 (closed firmware, less flash). Get the WRT54GL which is again based on Linux and maintains the flash amount so the firmware can be replaced with more powerful ones provided by third parties.

A new similar good alternative is the WRTSL54GS, which has a more RAM and flash but has only one antenna which cannot be detached.

5. kondspi macrumors regular

kondspi

My neighbors have linksys... It's on WEP, but Apple rates it at 3 bars in my home on 2nd story. My Belkin is very reliable... might be a good choice too.

6. Palmer thread starter macrumors member

I decided on the Linksys WRT54G, however my Comcast router only has one ethernet jack.

Would the wireless router still work for me?

Thanks

7. Winged Hussar macrumors newbie

WRT54G router I just bought seems won't work

According to the specification requirements on the box and the quick set up guide for this router that I also just bought for my Macbook, it requires Windows XP or Vista OS and Explorer or Firefox browsers. Therefore, I am returning it to Walmart from whence it came at a $49 price tag.

8. BennyK macrumors 6502

I used a Netgear WGR614 and it works great. Never had a problem, works on my mac and PC

9. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Apple's Base Station Extreme is pretty good. And it is great it you have or plan on having any Airport Express in your house.

TS

10. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I second that, I'm also using the Netgear WGR614 and it works great with a PC, a Powerbook and a Toshiba Windows Laptop (but I know there are some issues with it if you have to use VPN/PPPoE to connect to your provider).