Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Palmer said:
Hi,

I’m looking for some help in finding a good wireless router to use with my Macbook.

I have cable internet will a Comcast (Terayon) router hooked up to a PC with a Ethernet cable.

I would like to be able to use both the PC (via Ethernet) and my Mac (WiFi) at the same time.

Would this one work for me?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

That would work perfectly for you, though you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

I have the WRT54GL model and have changed the firmware which opens up a bunch of useful features. It's been sold since I began using it about 6 months ago.

I've also used the Netgear WGR614 which never went down for the two years it was in service. I'm sure others will have different opinions on Netgear products.

Also, for simplicity, you may just want to purchase an Airport Express. You'll be able to stream iTunes to a stereo and share a printer as well as have a stable wireless connection and easy setup. Good luck!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Apart from the obvious Apple choice, Linksys seems to work pretty well and they're dirt cheap. I've had no problems with attaching Macs or PC's, whereas I've had some issues with Netgear products recently.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Don't get the WRT54G, which is crippled since version 5 (closed firmware, less flash). Get the WRT54GL which is again based on Linux and maintains the flash amount so the firmware can be replaced with more powerful ones provided by third parties.

A new similar good alternative is the WRTSL54GS, which has a more RAM and flash but has only one antenna which cannot be detached.

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
My neighbors have linksys... It's on WEP, but Apple rates it at 3 bars in my home on 2nd story. My Belkin is very reliable... might be a good choice too.

Palmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
I decided on the Linksys WRT54G, however my Comcast router only has one ethernet jack.

Would the wireless router still work for me?

Thanks

Winged Hussar

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
WRT54G router I just bought seems won't work

According to the specification requirements on the box and the quick set up guide for this router that I also just bought for my Macbook, it requires Windows XP or Vista OS and Explorer or Firefox browsers. Therefore, I am returning it to Walmart from whence it came at a $49 price tag.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Apple's Base Station Extreme is pretty good. And it is great it you have or plan on having any Airport Express in your house.

TS

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
I used a Netgear WGR614 and it works great. Never had a problem, works on my mac and PC

I second that, I'm also using the Netgear WGR614 and it works great with a PC, a Powerbook and a Toshiba Windows Laptop (but I know there are some issues with it if you have to use VPN/PPPoE to connect to your provider).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.