Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
Hello everyone,

I received file from MS Word user and opened it on my iMac using Pages (the latter version...).
I'll not write here about my frustration from the compatibility issues between Pages and Word (since Pages 5 is completely new version, I'm waiting to the next iWork applications to come and solve all the issues and add some "power features" – if not, I'll use Word and done with the frustration once and for all, even though I must say that I really love using Pages, Keynote and Numbers...).

to the point: I worked on the document and shared it with my friend but he was't able to open the file. I also tried to open it on my wife's Macbook which contains MS Office and I received this message:
The Open XML file Business Plan.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example, \ /).

there is something I can do to solve this?

Cheers!
A.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm waiting to the next iWork applications to come and solve all the issues and add some "power features"
I think you will be waiting a very long time, Apple gutted iwork and really hasn't focused on improving the app too much. If you need power features, then use MS Office.

there is something I can do to solve this?
Did you try exporting it from Pages using an older format (.doc vs. .docx)?

Reactions: cavi

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I think you will be waiting a very long time, Apple gutted iwork and really hasn't focused on improving the app too much. If you need power features, then use MS Office.

Did you try exporting it from Pages using an older format (.doc vs. .docx)?

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing.

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
WORKED! thank you both!! :D
[doublepost=1469048363][/doublepost]Maflynn, with regard to iWork, I really don't understand the point in creating from scratch the whole iWork suit, including cloud version, and not update it regularly... the iWork suite didn't updated for almost a year (i'm talking about big update and not bug fixes)... =/
I have MS office license (my wife is a med student and we bought the student 4 years student plan and installed on her Macbook and iPad) but I really don't love using it...
Personally, before pages I used Mellel writer (which is the best application out there, but has also a lot of weak points in all the things which matters to collaboration, charts etc'). the point is that you can create a PWOER HOUSE without the complex the interface and for some reason Apple just not making iWork better...

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
before pages I used Mellel writer (which is the best application out there, but has also a lot of weak points in all the things which matters to collaboration, charts etc'). the point is that you can create a PWOER HOUSE without the complex the interface and for some reason Apple just not making iWork better...

I think you and your wife will be better served with MS Office than iWork. As "maflynn" stated, Apple is not likely to do anything to vastly improve the iWork suite especially now that it's being offered for free with a new Mac or iOS device. You state above that you used Mellel... that's a great WP program and it does Hebrew (right to left). Why not continue to use that?

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
I think you and your wife will be better served with MS Office than iWork. As "maflynn" stated, Apple is not likely to do anything to vastly improve the iWork suite especially now that it's being offered for free with a new Mac or iOS device. You state above that you used Mellel... that's a great WP program and it does Hebrew (right to left). Why not continue to use that?

Mellel is a F1 car, what it does, it does BEST, but on the road you need more abilities that Mellel just don't have (charts, collaboration with other WP softwares etc').

I'll be more than happy to pay for a pro iWork version, but it's seems like it will not happen...

I send a ton of feedbacks to apple, nothing happened...

I just wondering what Apple think that will attract users to use Apple computers (or apple products in general) if they (apple) will not offer alternative and better software. If I'm a MS Office user, I'll be better with the PC version. Moreover, there are a lot of pro software that isn't available on mac, or available but with a "lite" version (like Mindset...).
Apple killed Aperture, iWeb and the current version of iWork is far from be suitable for business use, so what is the point in buying apple products...

sorry about the frustration, I just have a feeling that apple is concentrating on PR more than actually make their products better...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and not update it regularly
That's Apple for you.

They created a great photography application called Aperture and just let it whither on the vine, while Adobe grabbed marketshare with Lightroom.

They had updated iWork fairly regularly, but I don't think all of the features that were stripped out were replaced, so the older version is more robust even though they released that major rewrite in 2013.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
ו used Aperature for long time and was very disappointed when I realized that apple isn't going to update it. It continued my frustration from iWeb... Although I must say that photos app doing the most of the things I need (but Aperature was a lot better).

Because Apple rewrite iWork I thought that they will add all the features are missing over the time. But, three years after, nothing really happened.
What I suppose to tell to a friend that is who works with me on the same document? "Please do not use tables because I can't see the changes in track changes" or maybe "I've done some changes in the section order, please go over the document and in each place that we wrote section 4.2 write 4.3"...

I'll be more then happy to use the previous version, but unfortunately there is no RTL support in that version...

zsrh

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
Toronto
Mellel is a F1 car, what it does, it does BEST, but on the road you need more abilities that Mellel just don't have (charts, collaboration with other WP softwares etc').

I'll be more than happy to pay for a pro iWork version, but it's seems like it will not happen...

I send a ton of feedbacks to apple, nothing happened...

I just wondering what Apple think that will attract users to use Apple computers (or apple products in general) if they (apple) will not offer alternative and better software. If I'm a MS Office user, I'll be better with the PC version. Moreover, there are a lot of pro software that isn't available on mac, or available but with a "lite" version (like Mindset...).
Apple killed Aperture, iWeb and the current version of iWork is far from be suitable for business use, so what is the point in buying apple products...

sorry about the frustration, I just have a feeling that apple is concentrating on PR more than actually make their products better...

Have you tried using Open Office of Libre Office? Both are powerful free office suites that have a lot of pro features and have Windows, Mac and Linux versions. I would suggest you try those as alternatives if you don't like using MS Office.

Reactions: dwig

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
Yes I have... Most of them support RTL, but have some problems (such as reverse brackets). In general, I used neo office for a year before I switched to Mellel (the best WP app, but has some flaws).
From my experience, those apps (libre / neo office) were very slow and unstable. Maybe I'll give them another chance (but, as I said, I really hope that iWork will improve...)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes I have... Most of them support RTL, but have some problems (such as reverse brackets). In general, I used neo office for a year before I switched to Mellel (the best WP app, but has some flaws).
From my experience, those apps (libre / neo office) were very slow and unstable. Maybe I'll give them another chance (but, as I said, I really hope that iWork will improve...)
NeoOffice was always multiple versions behind LibreOffice (and OpenOffice).

I heavily use MS Office(iOS/OSX/Windows/Android), iWork (current-iOS/OSX), iWork '09 (OSX), and LibreOffice (OSX/Windows). The 5.x version of LibreOffice is extremely stable, and quite snappy in performance. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.