Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Higuain and Messi will have to look at themselves. It was there on a silver platter for them but they didn't take it.

4 world class strikers and the return output was disappointing to say the least.

Player of the tournament was a bit of a stretch for Messi and even he knows. But its not completely outrageous either. He bailed them out 2 or 3 times.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Player of the tournament was a bit of a stretch for Messi and even he knows.
He didn't look thrilled, but then I guess it's difficult to look thrilled in that situation.

I've no idea who my player of the tournament would be. The winner has always been at least a semi-finalist, which rules out Rodriguez. Müller and Robben are both too cheaty. I'd have loved it to have gone to Kroos or Mascherano, but these awards always go to goal scorers (and Olli Kahn).

Good match. Argentina were more ambitious than I thought they would be; Germany looked quite uncomfortable at times. But I think, on balance, Germany just about edged it.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Higuain and Messi will have to look at themselves. It was there on a silver platter for them but they didn't take it.

4 world class strikers and the return output was disappointing to say the least.

Shame re Reus, Gundogan, and Falcao being injured, Ronaldo not recovering, and Messi being burnt out - sure being targeted, but the energy dropped off a cliff. Higuain seems to be two days 'What is the fuss?' and one day 'Maybe.'. Aguero; injured, not injured, injured, not injured, injured... Tevez?

Germany; was taking out Mertesacker more important than switching Lahm? Algeria still looked dangerous, and scored, after the Mustafi injury; Lahm - PM - Boateng - Howedes. Still think they have the Bayern Munich vulnerability to pace and diagonals - the opposition need a finisher.

Cheers,
OW

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
With so many sympathizers for Messi it had to happen this way. No worldcup for him for now at least until he finds a modest place for his accolades.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
World Cup 2014 Brazil

With so many sympathizers for Messi it had to happen this way. No worldcup for him for now at least until he finds a modest place for his accolades.

No, it didn't have to happen this way. If Higuin's 1 on 1 with the keeper went in, it wouldn't have.

It happened this way because Germany was the better team. He couldn't handle the pressure in that moment. Even though I wanted Messi to win, this was the right outcome if you look at the whole tournament. Germany played like the rank 1 team all tournament. Not just in their match vs a crippled Brazil.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No, it didn't have to happen this way. If Higuin's 1 on 1 with the keeper went in, it wouldn't have.

It happened this way because Germany was the better team. He couldn't handle the pressure in that moment. Even though I wanted Messi to win, this was the right outcome if you look at the whole tournament. Germany played like the rank 1 team all tournament. Not just in their match vs a crippled Brazil.

Agreed. Germany was the best team through out the entire World Cup. They deserved to win.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Germany was the best team through out the tournament, but they weren't impressive in that final game at all.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Germany was the best team through out the tournament, but they weren't impressive in that final game at all.

You weren't impressed by that brilliant goal ?
You will not see such a great goal again any time soon.

-t

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
You weren't impressed by that brilliant goal ?
You will not see such a great goal again any time soon.

-t

No, I really wasn't. By the time Germany scored, I was just happy somebody scored so the damn game could end. Germany didn't do anything for me in the final match. In my opinion Argentina played better than them in the first half, both teams were sloppy in the second half, and extra time was just damn boring. Surprised they didn't show more Christ the Redeemer shots. The most interesting thing about that entire match was poor Kramer getting knocked in the head and still playing even though he looked like he didn't even know what country he was in anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.