Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
They do completely different things. I wouldn't be able to use an iPad as my primary computer for even half of what I do.

----------

I'm going to use the rMB to get actual work done. Sorry to disappoint you.

Well obviously an iPad can't be used as a primary machine, but a dual-core computer with a 1.2GHz processor (that is basically a glorified netbook) starting at $1300 is just not a good investment really. At that price range, the 13" Pro Retina makes much more sense.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well obviously an iPad can't be used as a primary machine, but a dual-core computer with a 1.2GHz processor (that is basically a glorified netbook) starting at $1300 is just not a good investment really. At that price range, the 13" Pro Retina makes much more sense.

How is it not a good investment? I'm selling my 13" rMBP and switching to the new MacBook. The rMB is powerful enough for the work I do.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Its called an iPad Air 2. Every bit as fast if not faster. Lighter and half the price. I dont get how this is some ultimate MB for email and web browsing....this isnt 2008 anymore. An iPad can do all that in a smaller, lighter, cheaper package. The new MB will run most productivity apps like garbage anyway. So "getting work done" means email and internet. icloud photo library lets you manage on any device as does Lightroom mobile. Forget about doing any video editing on the MB. So whats that leave? Once again....internet and email. Dont need to spend 1299 to do that. This is the Apple Watch Edition of laptops....totally unnecessary

I can't even begin to tell you how completely wrong you are...

I'm guessing you've never tried to write and manage citations for a 150 page grant on an ipad.

I've done stuff like that on an iPad after Sandy. I'd almost rather have my wisdom teeth pulled without anesthesia. :( :mad: Utterly hideous.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
No way I would give up the trackpad and keyboard for an iPad and it's soon to be dirty touchscreen. No way. I dislike the over rated iOS. Still a lot to be said for using OS X.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I can't even begin to tell you how completely wrong you are...

I've done stuff like that on an iPad after Sandy. I'd almost rather have my wisdom teeth pulled without anesthesia. :( :mad: Utterly hideous.

Or you can get a MB pro which can do actual heavy computing tasks. Or an air for cheaper and still beats the tar out of the MB.

So please tell me how I'm wrong in the fact the new MB is nothing more than a bragging piece for that price. Once again, it's not 2008 where MacBooks weigh 5 or 6 pounds. The original air was an overpriced piece of metal, this is no different. It's a repeat of 2008. In two years it'll be worth buying for the masses.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Or you can get a MB pro which can do actual heavy computing tasks. Or an air for cheaper and still beats the tar out of the MB.

So please tell me how I'm wrong in the fact the new MB is nothing more than a bragging piece for that price. Once again, it's not 2008 where MacBooks weigh 5 or 6 pounds. The original air was an overpriced piece of metal, this is no different. It's a repeat of 2008. In two years it'll be worth buying for the masses.

You're not wrong. You're right. About everything. Always.

There... Is that what you need to hear? Is that enough to satisfy your reason for posting? Can you be quiet now?
:rolleyes:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You're not wrong. You're right. About everything. Always.

There... Is that what you need to hear? Is that enough to satisfy your reason for posting? Can you be quiet now?
:rolleyes:

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about someone making a compelling point for spending 1299 on 3 year old technology for the sake of having the thinnest notebook. The only argument I've read on here is having a keyboard attached. There's no solid justification other than that. There are much more powerful and cheaper options, that's the point. If 1299 is burning a hole in your pocket go for it and come back here complaining about it after the newness wears off and you're staring at spinning beach balls.

Debate, don't be childish.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Same goes to rMB. We will see how it performs.

Don't be obtuse. Working on iOS is different than working on OSX. My tasks are not processor intensive. Using a iPad and a keyboard, although cheaper, is not the same as a full size keyboard on a laptop and citation integration is a lot of more of a pain in the butt on iOS.

I could do the same on a Macbook Air, which I may, which is why I want to go to the store and compare the two. If i'm staring at a screen for that long, I think the better quality screen with make much more of a difference and I'm willing to pay for that.

----------

im guessing you never tried pairing a bluetooth keyboard to an ipad......

ibid

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Im guessing you never tried pairing a Bluetooth keyboard to an iPad......
So you'll have to carry around an extra bluetooth keyboard? Either a sturdy full size one you'll have to connect on and off and change batteries etc, or a cheap fold over one. Either way it can't be compared to a real laptop.

The rMB is a great option if you want an ultraportable laptop. An iPad isn't a laptop. Just don't buy it if it's too expensive.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
It's not about being right or wrong, it's about someone making a compelling point for spending 1299 on 3 year old technology for the sake of having the thinnest notebook. The only argument I've read on here is having a keyboard attached. There's no solid justification other than that.

Childish is putting yourself in position to judge the desires, perspectives and preferences of others, and then arrogantly demanding that they supply sufficient argumentation ("debate") to satisfy your self-defined superior perspectives.
We all get that you think the rMB is a poor value choice, and that you feel that you are far too intelligent and mature to make such a choice by purchasing one.
All your rhetoric and argumentativeness comes off as arrogant and judgmental, which is a common trait of petulant narcissists. "Debate, don't be childish" is simply projection and diversion.
You're better off just being quiet, making your own decision and respecting other people to make theirs.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
It's not about being right or wrong, it's about someone making a compelling point for spending 1299 on 3 year old technology for the sake of having the thinnest notebook. The only argument I've read on here is having a keyboard attached. There's no solid justification other than that.

I've travelled with my 13" macbook from 2008. I much rather not travel with a computer that big. Yes, I can physically carry it, but if you're doing intercontinental travel and you don't want to bring too much with you because you already have a lot to bring and you're lugging your computer from place to place after that, it makes sense.

I have a computer at home and work for data analysis. I just need this one for writing/presentations and other basic stuff. MBA would do just fine as well if it weren't for the screen and the boost in processor FOR WHAT I'D BE DOING WITH IT doesn't matter.

I don't drive an SUV because I don't need the room. I don't buy computers with extra space/weight because I DON"T NEED IT. I BUY ACCORDING TO MY NEEDS and I need light weight and OSX with nice screen preferred.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Anyone who thinks that the lowly, insignificant and unprofessional work that's done with Excel or Word is not real work - or that it can't be done as well on the rMB as on a 13" rMBP or MBA - or underestimates the difference between trying to do this work on an iOS device and doing the same thing on an OS X machine - is really out of touch with reality.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Childish is putting yourself in position to judge the desires, perspectives and preferences of others, and then arrogantly demanding that they supply sufficient argumentation ("debate") to satisfy your self-defined superior perspectives.
We all get that you think the rMB is a poor value choice, and that feel that you are far too intelligent and mature to purchase one.
All your rhetoric and argumentativeness comes off as arrogant and judgmental, which is a common trait of petulant narcissists. "Debate, don't be childish" is simply projection and diversion.
You're better off just being quiet, making your own decision and respecting other people to make theirs.

This is a discussion forum.....but thanks for the advice doctor. Of course calling people names makes you even wiser. The rest of us will keep to the topic at hand.

----------

I've travelled with my 13" macbook from 2008. I much rather not travel with a computer that big. Yes, I can physically carry it, but if you're doing intercontinental travel and you don't want to bring too much with you because you already have a lot to bring and you're lugging your computer from place to place after that, it makes sense.

I have a computer at home and work for data analysis. I just need this one for writing/presentations and other basic stuff. MBA would do just fine as well if it weren't for the screen and the boost in processor FOR WHAT I'D BE DOING WITH IT doesn't matter.

I don't drive an SUV because I don't need the room. I don't buy computers with extra space/weight because I DON"T NEED IT. I BUY ACCORDING TO MY NEEDS and I need light weight and OSX with nice screen preferred.

Oh for sure, fair enough. There's definitely a market however very niche at this time and not a mainstream device yet. It will be in a couple year the way the MB air became. Hopefully this doesn't have as rocky of a start as the air did in 2008.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Anyone who thinks that the lowly, insignificant and unprofessional work that's done with Excel or Word is not real work - or that it can't be done as well on the rMB as on a 13" rMBP or MBA - or underestimates the difference between trying to do this work on an iOS device and doing the same thing on an OS X machine - is really out of touch with reality.

^THIS. Thanks.

We don't all do the same kind of "professional work," do we? Many people (I might even venture to say "most") don't work in fields that demand the kind of storage, connectivity and CPU/GPU power offered by power/pro-line computers like the rMBP lineup. I've said it before - Lawyers, accountants, teachers, professors, students, doctors, medical professionals, journalists, writers, pastors, salespersons, CEOs, executives, bankers, pilots, law-enforcement, military, etc., etc... are all Professionals who don't need more power than what is offered by the new Macbook. We all make up a large segment of the marketing target for a computer exactly like the new rMB.
And anyone who has tried to do any serious writing on an iOS device knows - it's no match at all for a computer running a full OS. I crank out 5,000-6,000 words a week, every week, and once tried to do the bulk of my work from an iPad. There's no way at all it's adequate. A full OS and full sized keyboard is necessary, as is a full-blown computer without touch-screen requirements for selecting text, copy-paste, etc...

----------

This is a discussion forum.....but thanks for the advice doctor. Of course calling people names makes you even wiser. The rest of us will keep to the topic at hand.

Nice dodge... and nice try. I'm not a doctor.

Keep ranting and trying to prove everyone wrong if that makes you happy. But it's probably best if you admit - at least to yourself - that doing what you're doing isn't the same thing as "discussion."
Discussion is objective, dispassionate, impersonal and respectful of the other parties' perspectives and opinions. What you're doing is condescending and communicates a critical air of judgmental superiority.
No names were called. Narcissism isn't a name. It's a descriptor of people who make a habit of criticizing others for the sake of demonstrating their own superiority. It's rampant on these forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Bingo.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
We don't all do the same kind of "professional work," do we? Many people (I might even venture to say "most") don't work in fields that demand the kind of storage, connectivity and CPU/GPU power offered by power/pro-line computers like the rMBP lineup. I've said it before - Lawyers, accountants, teachers, professors, students, doctors, medical professionals, journalists, writers, pastors, salespersons, CEOs, executives, bankers, pilots, law-enforcement, military, etc., etc... are all Professionals who don't need more power than what is offered by the new Macbook.

They buy Surface Pro 3s :p Runs a full OS and its lighter, more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook. Back in 2008 the Air worked because the competition was still making big, heavy laptops or awful netbooks. Times have changed and Microsoft, Dell and Asus all have very nice competition that's chepaer, more powerful and just as well built. If the new MacBook would have been closer to $1k, it would have been a massive hit despite its shortcomings. At $1300. It will remain a niche product for early adopters with money to burn while the majority wait for the better equipped and cheaper second generation.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
^THIS. Thanks.

We don't all do the same kind of "professional work," do we? Many people (I might even venture to say "most") don't work in fields that demand the kind of storage, connectivity and CPU/GPU power offered by power/pro-line computers like the rMBP lineup. I've said it before - Lawyers, accountants, teachers, professors, students, doctors, medical professionals, journalists, writers, pastors, salespersons, CEOs, executives, bankers, pilots, law-enforcement, military, etc., etc... are all Professionals who don't need more power than what is offered by the new Macbook. We all make up a large segment of the marketing target for a computer exactly like the new rMB.
And anyone who has tried to do any serious writing on an iOS device knows - it's no match at all for a computer running a full OS. I crank out 5,000-6,000 words a week, every week, and once tried to do the bulk of my work from an iPad. There's no way at all it's adequate. A full OS and full sized keyboard is necessary, as is a full-blown computer without touch-screen requirements for selecting text, copy-paste, etc...

----------

Nice dodge... and nice try. I'm not a doctor.

Keep ranting and trying to prove everyone wrong if that makes you happy. But it's probably best if you admit - at least to yourself - that doing what you're doing isn't the same thing as "discussion."
Discussion is objective, dispassionate, impersonal and respectful of the other parties' perspectives and opinions. What you're doing is condescending and communicates a critical air of judgmental superiority.
No names were called. Narcissism isn't a name. It's a descriptor of people who make a habit of criticizing others for the sake of demonstrating their own superiority. It's rampant on these forums.

So you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing? I'll reserve any critical judgments of you and your character since I don't know you but thank you for knowing me so well. I guess that new MB would come in handy for lengthy psycho-analysis topics.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
They buy Surface Pro 3s :p Runs a full OS and its lighter, more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook. Back in 2008 the Air worked because the competition was still making big, heavy laptops or awful netbooks. Times have changed and Microsoft, Dell and Asus all have very nice competition that's chepaer, more powerful and just as well built.

There goes my entire workflow. I couldn't use Windows and still use the same software/features that I do now. Not to mention, I would never switch to Windows even if it weren't for that.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
They buy Surface Pro 3s :p Runs a full OS and its lighter, more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook. Back in 2008 the Air worked because the competition was still making big, heavy laptops or awful netbooks. Times have changed and Microsoft, Dell and Asus all have very nice competition that's chepaer, more powerful and just as well built.

all of which run Windows, which is not the preference of all people. Some prefer OS X, and are willing to pay more for it. Please don't be judgmental and call that segment stupid, foolish, materialistic, elitist, or whatever.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
They buy Surface Pro 3s :p Runs a full OS and its lighter, more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook. Back in 2008 the Air worked because the competition was still making big, heavy laptops or awful netbooks. Times have changed and Microsoft, Dell and Asus all have very nice competition that's chepaer, more powerful and just as well built. If the new MacBook would have been closer to $1k, it would have been a massive hit despite its shortcomings. At $1300. It will remain a niche product for early adopters with money to burn while the majority wait for the better equipped and cheaper second generation.

If it had OSX with iOS touch features, I'd buy it in a heartbeat otherwise no Windoze device can ever touch Macs and OS X

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
all of which run Windows, which is not the preference of all people. Some prefer OS X, and are willing to pay more for it. Please don't be judgmental and call that segment stupid, foolish, materialistic, elitist, or whatever.

I agree and I prefer OSX to Windows too but let's be honest, the vast majority of the world uses Windows, it's not even close. Windows is improving and getting lighter while Mac is getting more resource hungry and problematic , it's like they are going in opposite directions from what they once were which I find interesting

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I agree and I prefer OSX to Windows too but let's be honest, the vast majority of the world uses Windows, it's not even close. Windows is improving while Mac is getting more resource hungry and problematic , it's like they are going in opposite directions from what they once were which I find interesting

Personally, I don't care what the vast majority of the world is doing. I care what works for me. And I dispute your contention that while Windows is improving, OSX is somehow floundering. In my experience (and that of the professionals in my circles), the Mac/OS X platform is far preferable, but people hesitate to commit fully to it due to Windows' ubiquity (even though it's inferior for many applications). Again, I don't care about the Mocrosoft ubiquity. I use what works best for my needs. That used to be the Windows platform for many, many years. It has recently switched to the Mac/OS X platform, where I am currently fully content.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

If I wanted to run a Windows ultracompact, the SP3 would be highly attractive. Someone who often sits near me on the train uses an SP3 (and a Windows phone). It's a very slick and capable system. But with 256GB, it's up at the $1300 level, too.

----------

I agree and I prefer OSX to Windows too but let's be honest, the vast majority of the world uses Windows, it's not even close. Windows is improving and getting lighter while Mac is getting more resource hungry and problematic , it's like they are going in opposite directions from what they once were which I find interesting

That is correct. The work half of my computing life would be a lot simpler if I had an SP3 and a Windows phone. I have Windows 8.1 on several personal computers at home and it is a fabulous OS, very badly underrated, even on relatively old hardware like my Dell XPS M1330 (T9300/4GB RAM/1TB 7.2k HD). However, as a matter of preference, the personal half of my computing life is Apple (as everyone else is saying, too ;) ), so at least for now I'll be looking at the rMB rather than an SP3.

Big YMMV/IMO, etc. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.