Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
How much of this is digital?

I've always loved the sound to this.

Good grief, that first song is the sound of my dorm room when I arrived in Geneva for my the continuation of my grad studies in 1996. One of my roomates, a Spanish girl, had a lot of her friends visit and every Friday a bottle of white martini would appear on our table and this CD (and a lot of Latin music) would be on ques. This songa was played over and over and over....good times though.

StevenStarkStrange

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2018
What do you think is the worse music era has been?
Even though I really like Guns n roses I'd have to say the worst era would be the 80s. The 80s pop was the worst think on the planet - so annoying!.

The 70s wasn't great. Aerosmith was awesome but the rest was just strange men with beards and an acoustic guitar.

10s is really bad because of puff like bieber

I'd say though all round the best was 90s with oasis and other stuff.

Here is the list

1. 90's
2. 00s
3. 70s
4. 60s
5. 10s
6. 80s

Oh please, the 80's were good. What do you call Michael Jackson, Madonna, or Toto?

Reactions: AngerDanger

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The trick is for any decade, is to avoid the disposable, crap-tacular pop music (that's present in *every* decade), here's some music that was released in the 80s ...

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Pixies - Doolittle, Surfa Rosa
R.E.M. - Murmur, Document
The Cure - Disintegration, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me

All the brilliant music from Cocteau Twins, the Smiths, the Church ... the list just goes on and on ..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The trick is for any decade, is to avoid the disposable, crap-tacular pop music (that's present in *every* decade), here's some music that was released in the 80s ...

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Pixies - Doolittle, Surfa Rosa
R.E.M. - Murmur, Document
The Cure - Disintegration, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me

All the brilliant music from Cocteau Twins, the Smiths, the Church ... the list just goes on and on ..

REM, yes, brilliant.

Madness were an 80s group, as were UB40, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Adam and the Ants, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Kate Bush, Eurythmics, and Simple Minds, to name a number of the excellent groups and musicians found in the UK in the 80s.

alexismcneal164

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2019
1: 1970s; not talking the disco or stuff like that, I’m talking about the rock, mainly queen. I don’t listen to it as much(besides queen, and a couple of other songs) but I do think it is the best for rock at least.
2: 1960s; ummm the Beatles, etc. that’s a given.
3: 1990s or very early 2000s: I’m not talking like boppy stuff I’m talking about... well grunge... I’d be lying if I said I don’t jam to some 90s bops or that I don’t have a fair amount of old school Eminem on my playlist but it’s not really what I consider quality music. For Eminem maybe quality coolness and poetry. And for bops maybe catchy. But not what I consider quality music really. But the majority of my playlist is 90s early 2000s grunge or queen. Only reason for it not being higher on the list is probably the bops.
4: the rest of the 1900s
5: literally every before
6: 2010s and some of the 2000s: awful. No instruments not music. And why does everyone want to be thug... the rap is awful. Not like Eminem... like it is awful... so wannabe thug.
*sorry really went on about the 90s

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
4: the rest of the 1900s
5: literally every before
6: 2010s and some of the 2000s: awful. No instruments not music. And why does everyone want to be thug... the rap is awful. Not like Eminem... like it is awful... so wannabe thug.
*sorry really went on about the 90s

Not sure that I understand what you are trying to say in point No 4 and point No 5 - that the music was good, or that it wasn't?

(And there are quite striking differences firstly, between the music that was either popular - or played in elite circles - in the centuries before 1900, and secondly between the actual styles that one could hear in each century; for example, Renaissance music is quite different from "classical" music, and both differ to some extent form Baroque music).

But, I agree with you re Point 6: Some of that stuff is brutally bad.

alexismcneal164

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2019
Not sure that I understand what you are trying to say in point No 4 and point No 5 - that the music was good, or that it wasn't?

(And there are quite striking differences firstly, between the music that was either popular - or played in elite circles - in the centuries before 1900, and secondly between the actual styles that one could hear in each century; for example, Renaissance music is quite different from "classical" music, and both differ to some extent form Baroque music).

But, I agree with you re Point 6: Some of that stuff is brutally bad.
To be honest I don’t really listen to much from point 4 and 5 that’s why it is where it is on the list but the only thing on the list that I think is bad is point 6. I think the rest are at least important in the history of music and I respect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.