Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willpowern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I was about to buy a new iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard but discovered that it weighs about the same as a new MacBook Air. So now I’m wondering what I should get. I never separate my current iPad Pro from my magic key board. Opinions please. Thanks.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I've ditched all of my iPads and have gone strictly MBA M2. Like you, I always had a keyboard attached... ok, maybe 98% attached; however, I got real tired of being limited in what I could do. I found that I would start something on the iPad but would then go back to the MBA. Also, I never liked the idea of touching the iPad's screen with my fingers and would have to carry the Apple Pencil.

I don't regret turning away from the iPad, but your use may be much different from mine.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
The MacBook offers much more versatility for software, but doesn’t have the pencil support.

If pencil support is imperative to your needs, get the iPad, if not, the Mac will do everything else and more, better.

Kaffebreak

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
I have a 12.9 iPad Pro and the new 13' M3 MacBook Air. I plan on selling the iPad Pro as I've realized the limitations iPadOS has with multitasking aren't something I can put up with any longer.
Exactly my thoughts. Got my first MacBook Air this week to compliment my Mac mini 2 Pro. My iPad 12.9 with Magic Keyboard went down to my wife.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Where you always use your iPP with the MKB I would definitely lean towards the MBA assuming that you can get all the software/apps you use on the iPad for the MBA.

za9ra22

Suspended
Sep 25, 2003
Strictly for my use and needs, it would be a MacBook Air. There's nothing wrong with using an iPad as a lightweight portable for general computing needs, but the screen size is too small for anything truly serious, and the form factor and touch/pencil interface tends to result in rather simplistic software which is not entirely well suited to keyboard use instead.

But that would be in my own case. what's important here is that if the use case centers on touch/pencil based/optimized software, such as note taking in lectures or sketching, or working in the field, an iPad is quite likely the better option.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
MBA. Computer with real OS, and is (mostly) compatible with peripherals. Wi-Fi and hardwired.

iPads are an over-sexed iPod Touch, with software from Apple or 3rd Parties that are routinely never quite as good as the product on a real computer. That's why Apple's "What's a computer?" ad campaign (trying to get people off Airs - which one suspects they were trying to kill off - and to an iPad) crashed and burned a couple of years ago.

Woefully overpriced when compared to other brand's tablets, too - and that for the majority of apps, have the same product available.

Unless your anticipated tasks involve a lot of use of the Apple Pencil (even more $$$)...

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Yeah after using both iPads and MacBooks over the last 14 years I can say MacBooks overall do way more and offer more productivity than iPads which are nice portable media consumption devices. The lightweight MacBook airs now for example are so light you can watch movies and do serious work and browse and listen to music and everything in between. iPads are just very limited and always will be because Apple puts them between an iPhone and a Mac.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
... offer more productivity than iPads which are nice portable media consumption devices...
Back in the spring of last year, I picked up a Lenovo M8 tablet, on a end-of-model flash sale for $80. I stuff it in my sachel and use it for media consumption (news aggregators, social media, music, books, movies) as well as some games, some drawing, the occasional email and - if absolutely necessary - some business stuff and doc creation via Word / Excel.

Pretty much every app I have on iPhone - and that I use - has the same (or near enough equivalent) on this tablet. Its also got expandable memory thanks to a micro-SD. I use it while commuting, longer travel or while lingering at the coffee shop - saving both the iPhone's battery and my MacBook Air for more important stuff.

And, at $80, I know I won't see my bank account flash before my eyes if it slips off a table or out of my grasp and falls to the floor.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
That's the same rationale I used when I used to buy Amazon Fire HD tablets. They got the job done and I wouldn't faint if something happened to one of them.
I too had a Fire tablet for a time - yup, same rationale and, with some research, I was able to sideload and bypass Amazon's terrible Launcher (installed Nova), and install Google Store, which had the selection of apps I needed.

But weaknesses abound in all tablets (or, more correctly, their OSs), and really not useful for 'serious' computing.

j_appel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2004
Illinois
I enjoy using my iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil a lot more than using a laptop. I’ve tried to be more of a laptop person, but I’ve found that a tablet works best for me when I’m on the go. I teach math at a college and being able write on the screen during my lectures is very convenient for me. For what I need for work (making lecture videos, messaging, typing documents, browsing the internet), I can get by just fine with my iPad, but when I want a lot more power, I’ll use my Mac Studio at home.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
11"" ipad pro with seperate bluetooth keyboard.

Why? Because having touch functionality and a device you can write on is a huge perk. It's much more versatile than a MBA. I bet most people dont even need Mac OS when on the go. Most people use their devices to surf the web and email. You don't need Mac OS for that.

Don't go with a keyboard case, at least not to type on. I've used and tried them all, literally every single one that currently exists. Keyboard cases for 11" devices are too cramped. 13" is the minimum screen size for a fully comfortable keyboard to use. The keys aren't full size across the entire board on 11" device. This is why I say go with a seperate bluetooth keyboard for it.

I currently use a Zagg Pro Keyboard 12 with it. It weighs 45 grams. Yes you read that right, 45 grams. It's no match to my mechanicals are home but it's a thousand times more comfortable to type on than any keyboard case for an 11" device or any keyboard made by Apple.

I have the 11 ipad pro with Combo Touch case and the Zagg Pro keyboard 12. I use the Combo Touch case because of the kickstand. I have the Combo Touch keyboard stored on my shelf for when I resale the ipad. I never use it because its not comfortable to use and the keys are wayy too shallow, like typing on a modern day MBP.

Now the ipad with the Combo Touch case and seperate bluetooth keyboard, total weight is just over 2lbs, max 2.3lbs. Half a pound lighter than 13" MBA. Smaller footprint. It's noticably more portable. Screen is also 600nits vs 500nits on the air. Better aspect ratio on the ipad for consuming content. 11" at 4:3 feels bigger than a 13" device at 16:10.

Apple should release a 13" MBA with 4:3 aspect ratio, I'd buy one.

Also don't buy the Magic keyboard, $400 for a keyboard case is highway robbery. The material on it also detartrates as soon as you start using it.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If you are doing typical office work or taking college classes in most majors, I would prefer the MBA for writing reports, presentations, spreadsheets and multi-tasking. It is almost the same weight as the iPP with keyboard, so just as portable if you get the 13" model. Most folks have an external monitor at home for more screen real estate when needed.

If you draw a lot of diagrams or need to take a lot of handwritten notes, the iPP would be better, but multi-tasking and productivity apps will suffer.

Of course, the other option is to get the MBA plus an inexpensive iPad purely for notes, reading, and annotating docs. You can do these things on the cheapest iPad with an inexpensive third party pencil. The iPad can also serve as a secondary screen using hand-off. This is pretty much what I did. Although, I have to admit that a rarely use the iPad because I don't care to write on the glass screen, and I don't really need to annotate documents that often. So, I pretty much leave it in a cabinet and only take it with me on vacation.😁

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
the iPP would be better, but multi-tasking and productivity apps will suffer.

*sigh* That's one of the biggest myths out there. I can assure you that most people using their laptops outside of the house aren't running 10 programs at once, nor are they running heavy desktop apps. You can easily get just as much done, just as quick on an ipad. Sometimes using iOS apps are quicker to access information than using desktop apps.

Reactions: TPadden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.