Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
most people using their laptops outside
where does OP says that he will use his device mostly outside?
most people are NOT using most of the times the devices outside, but inside, home, train, airplane, hotels etc
Please show us your reports, because i bet its just your thinking and not based on facts

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
*sigh* That's one of the biggest myths out there. I can assure you that most people using their laptops outside of the house aren't running 10 programs at once, nor are they running heavy desktop apps. You can easily get just as much done, just as quick on an ipad. Sometimes using iOS apps are quicker to access information than using desktop apps.
This is simply not been my experience. When I am trying to move rapidly between multiple documents and spreadsheets, I find it significantly easier to use a laptop than an iPad.....even on the go. Once a month, I meet with our bookkeeper to update some spreadsheets for the family real estate business. I have tried it with an iPad, and it was just too awkward and time consuming. So, I bring the MBA, and everything is buttery smooth. I am talking about my real world experience, rather than Apple's marketing about iPad multi-tasking.....which kind of sucked-me-in the first place. So now, for me, it's MBA all of the way.

I accept that others might have a different experience, but this thread is asking about the MBA vs iPP, and all I can do is share how it has worked or hasn't worked for me. So, yes, if I had to choose and my workflow involved a fair amount of multi-tasking and productivity apps, I would get the MBA rather than the iPP.

Last edited:

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
iPad Pro 11 256Gb + Magic Keyboard = £1338
iPad Pro 12.9 256Gb + Magic Keyboard = £1748
Macbook Air 13 256Gb = £999

It isn’t even compatible.

Reactions: geta

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
iPad Pro 11 256Gb + Magic Keyboard = £1338
iPad Pro 12.9 256Gb + Magic Keyboard = £1748
Macbook Air 13 256Gb = £999

It isn’t even compatible.

But, but… MBA don’t have touch screen and iPadOS with incredible capabilities. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: page3

sbdyontheweb

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
it depends if you want a big phone or a laptop. Bear in mind that safari will refresh with just 2 tabs on ipad M2. Ipads are unusable.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
it depends if you want a big phone or a laptop. Bear in mind that safari will refresh with just 2 tabs on ipad M2. Ipads are unusable.
That's weird. My wife uses her iPad Air everyday to read books. My daughter uses her iPad 10 for taking notes and as a day-planner at work. And, my son uses an iPad Air for his Phd program in Economics. I better let them know right away that their iPads are unusable.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
MBA any day of the week. Better battery, power, better OS (IMO), best bang for buck and best for productivity.

That said, if all you are going to do is consume then worth looking at MBA + basic iPad.

Reactions: Mainsail

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Depends on what apps you use. Writing emails, documents, stock/crpypto trading.. maybe the ipadOS is faster for that kind of workflow. Don't agree to others. The Ipad can also be used to make money.
What about getting both? Smaller ipad and a 15 MBA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.