Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hey you guys, so im on the brink of building a big server/network for my house, (im currently working on about 8-10TB and once my server goes up, ill be around 22TB :eek: )

So on my server, my iphoto and itunes and torrents :D etc will all live. The reason I was thinking of moving my documents (its what I work with the most via my business and such) to my iDisk (which I have it sync with my desktop so it lives on the computer as well as online) is the fact that if my laptop leaves that network, it will still have access to those files, no web needed. So at that point, ill even have access to them if im not at home, or if I need a file, I can just easily long into my iDisk.

Thoughts on that?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
If you're worried about security in any iWork document just save it with password protection and de-select "show preview".

security is actually the least of my worries, its just the idea of them living on the clouds or suddenly, if my MobileMe goes nuts and kills my files online, will on its next sync kill my files on my computers as well (I wouldnt nearly be worried or even have posted this question if Time Machine backed up your iDisk) and so im just trying to see any issues anybody can think of with a setup like that. And worst comes to worst, ill do a manual backup every month or something myself to my server.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
security is actually the least of my worries, its just the idea of them living on the clouds or suddenly, if my MobileMe goes nuts and kills my files online, will on its next sync kill my files on my computers as well (I wouldnt nearly be worried or even have posted this question if Time Machine backed up your iDisk) and so im just trying to see any issues anybody can think of with a setup like that. And worst comes to worst, ill do a manual backup every month or something myself to my server.

I've had this internal dilemma also. What about just making an alias of the iDisk folders on your hard drive, then your external will back up the data on your hard disk, which is synced with your iDisk. Will that solve the problem for you?

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Yes. I have my own webserver that hosts basically all of my files. It's really convenient having access to everything 24/7 (or when the server is rebooting or has failed).

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I've had this internal dilemma also. What about just making an alias of the iDisk folders on your hard drive, then your external will back up the data on your hard disk, which is synced with your iDisk. Will that solve the problem for you?

I could be wrong about this, but isnt an alias just a shortcut? If so, then Time Machine will only make a backup of the shortcut and not where the shortcut leads to. Having said that, ive just done that and will do a TM backup and hopefully come back with some results.

Edit: Well holy shiyut. TM went to the files and got a backup of them. Excellent! Thanks for the suggestion!!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I put some on there. I'm not sure if I would put my finances on it, but my main concerns with putting it only on there would have little to do with overall security, rather the down time that is MobileMe.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I put some on there. I'm not sure if I would put my finances on it, but my main concerns with putting it only on there would have little to do with overall security, rather the down time that is MobileMe.

I agree and my suggestion would be to go to System Pref > MobileMe > iDisk and turn iDisk sync on. That means that the files also live on your computer so in case MobileMe is down or your web is, those files are actually on your computer as well.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I've been doing it that way for years. Love it! It allows be to access my documents from any computer either through syncing, the MM web interface or the iDisk app on my iPhone.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
All of my school stuff 'lives' on my iDisk, synced between my MBP and my iMac. Works fine, I find it a lot more convenient than using a USB drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would not use iDisk as the the only place to put my doocuments. I'm not a fan of the cloud computing craze. Just look at what happened to MS with the sidekick.

I do use iDisk to hold a copy of some documents but it's not the sole repository.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I would not use iDisk as the the only place to put my doocuments. I'm not a fan of the cloud computing craze. Just look at what happened to MS with the sidekick.

I do use iDisk to hold a copy of some documents but it's not the sole repository.

With iDisk (or with Dropbox)... the files do have local copies on each computer as well as having a copy the cloud. Then, local copies can also be backed up via TimeMachine and/or to a cloud service). Hence... it seems to me that the chances of losing your data is reduced by using MM and/or Dropbox.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.