Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tempted on the Adamo?

• Heck YA! This is a great deal.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • Eh, decent deal, but it's still a dell.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • This just means the next air will be much cheaper

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • HECK NO! OS X or nothing.

Votes: 38 42.7%

• Total voters

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
The one screwed up is Dell, they listed 128GB SSD for $999, then when you configure it, the 128 turned to 256. SWEET. but conflicted info, nonetheless.

I have a feeling Dell screwed up on the 256GB offer for $999. They probably mean 128GB for $999. As someone else pointed out in previous posts, 256GB SSD alone, is over $600. This isn't the first time Dell screws up on online offers.

If you're borderline to jump on the Adamo, NOW!!! is the time. They will honor the 128GB-256GB screw up, if indeed its a screw up.

One hell of deal if you ask me.

EDIT...
Adamo (under Business tab) is 256Gb-SSD for $999.
Adamo (under Home tab) is 128GB-SSD for same price of $999
Looks like Dell is set out to screw Home users, Or really love the "business" folks.

Something isn't right.
Just pulled the trigger on the 256SSD version.

I think I may do it too. The SSD on dell's website is $649 + tax alone. (Proof =http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=341-9936)

I can't find any for sale on ebay to see how much they go for used and if I wanted to replace it I'm not sure how cheap replacement 1.8" SSD's are. Let us know what emails you get from dell and the status of your order.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The screen would be vastly inferior in terms of contrast ratio and black levels to the air. $999 with a 256 gb ssd makes this a good deal, but do not expect that you're going to get a premium laptop. This is just a good value but not high quality.

edblor

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I'd honestly buy the business one with a 256GB SSD at checkout. That's a very good deal IMO. Though it is not available to us Canadians :(

I almost pulled the trigger on the Adamo a few weeks ago. Instead I bought a refurb'd 1.86GHz 120GB HDD from Apple. No regrets at all obviously, but the Adamo does intrigue me. It's still the integrated intel graphics that turn me off.

I spent about $100 more for the MBA, and got a substantially better laptop :)

In every review of the Adamo, the graphics always pull down what is an otherwise excellent laptop (even if it is a Dell). If they'd only put a dedicated graphics part in there, they could surely compete with the other thin 'n lights.

Cheers

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Can someone confirm if the 256GB-SSD in the Adamo is the speedy Samsung drive, with read and write speed of 220MB/200MB. If so, this will improve performance greatly, despite running an Intel GPU.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
i would never buy an MBA with a non SSD drive, so if it came down to it i would get the Adamo.

overall, it is an interesting machine to play around with and I just might go back on my original word and buy it so that it can be my primary windows machine (I hate bootcamp)

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Looks like you're right. What threw me off was that when you click on "product details" button it gives you a breakdown between 2 models where cheaper one has 128GB and the expensive one has 256GB. However, it appears that it is possible to add this to cart as it is with 256GB for $999 so it looks like I was incorrect. My bad. I'd fix my original post but you're quoting me so it makes no sense.

Neverthelessl, I'd buy a used Air over a new Dell any day.

Why does it have to be so confusing to purchase a PC? This is part of the draw of Apple to me. Things are simple. I may not have as many choices as a PC build, but for the average user, like my mother in law for example, they don't know what any of it means. Apple does a decent job of keeping things simple and understandable. Do you want more memory, bigger hard drive, faster processor? Three easy choices. (I realize there are more, in terms of the Mac Pro, but a Mac Pro is not a machine for the average user.)

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
i would never buy an MBA with a non SSD drive, so if it came down to it i would get the Adamo.

overall, it is an interesting machine to play around with and I just might go back on my original word and buy it so that it can be my primary windows machine (I hate bootcamp)

I HATE BOOTCAMP as well. Dual booting seems like no big deal, but when you need windows daily, it becomes a huge drag.

edblor

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I too don't like Bootcamp. But really, it comes down to restarting Mac OSX, holding down a key for 5 seconds, and then 20 seconds or so more to be in Windows.

At the end of the day, I'd say we are all kinda lazy to want a WHOLE other laptop just to use the "other" OS :eek:

However, I fall into this category myself...so what does that say about me ;)

I still want the Dell though! If someone wants to buy it for me off the US business site, I could pay you. Oh, and I'm serious! PM me if anyone wants to be nice!! I've got Paypal, or M.O. and heatware too....lots of heatware.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
i just pulled the trigger on this
It is my "netbook" experiment. I know its a PC, my expectations are not the same as if I were to purchase an updated MBA.
I now gotta wait till Feb. 8 for it to ship.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
i just pulled the trigger on this
It is my "netbook" experiment. I know its a PC, my expectations are not the same as if I were to purchase an updated MBA.
I now gotta wait till Feb. 8 for it to ship.

Well, you can have Dell cancel it if the MBA gets updated this week. You never know, Tuesday or Wednesday are very possible...

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Don't tell me I am incorrect without checking yourself. It doesn't list it in the advertisement, but if you go in and select it in the cart it will show you not only a 256GB SSD but also Windows 7. All that for $999. What the heck is going on here. I am being sabotaged by people all over MR as people just have to be correct and prove others wrong.

How about an f'n apology!

If you look at post #12, I did mention that I was incorrect due to Dell's rather ambiguous website design. For that I apologize but there is absolutely no need to get worked up over this. And if you think you're never wrong, you'd be wrong right there. ;)

Why does it have to be so confusing to purchase a PC? This is part of the draw of Apple to me. Things are simple. I may not have as many choices as a PC build, but for the average user, like my mother in law for example, they don't know what any of it means. Apple does a decent job of keeping things simple and understandable. Do you want more memory, bigger hard drive, faster processor? Three easy choices. (I realize there are more, in terms of the Mac Pro, but a Mac Pro is not a machine for the average user.)

I haven't had the privilege of fiddling with their website mainly because I buy most of my systems used but as a QA engineer I can tell you it's next to impossible to build a perfect website. And one as complicated as Apple's hides some flaws too, I'm sure. I've bought a Dell Zino on Dell's site before and it was pretty a straight-forward process for the most part.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
Well, you can have Dell cancel it if the MBA gets updated this week. You never know, Tuesday or Wednesday are very possible...

well, i guess i have until the 7th before it ships, so we'll see...
I don't think an update will come though....i think we will see the end of MBA

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Actually, you are incorrect. If you look at the website closely only the more expensive $1799 model comes with 256GB SSD, while the $999 one comes with 128GB. So while there is a difference and you do get more SSD for your money with Adamo the difference isn't as dramatic.

Personally I trust Apple more than Dell qualitywise. Recently I purchased a Dell Zino with upgraded CPU and videocard. When I took it apart to put in some of my own upgrades I realized one of the screws on the videocard's heatsink wasn't screwed all the way in. If I didn't notice this in advance, there is a good chance I'd have videocard overheating issues down the road. Imho, that kind of assembly is unacceptable. There were a few other annoying design flaws such as somewhat shaky case with thin plastic walls and more. Yes, this machine is cheaper and is suited better for my needs than a Mini. It's also far easier to upgrade. But amazingly quality Dell isn't renown for and in my book they won't be any time soon. Oh, did I mention Dell delayed my order twice? I bought this machine on Black Friday 2009 and received it only Jan 5, 2010.

urmmm..

iMac yellow
delays?

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach

I don't think we'll see an update till March and it will be across the entire notebook line. When was the last time apple made a big product release and then had another release a week later?

And to the poster who's saying it's the end of the air, there's no way it's the end of the Air....no way.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
And to the poster who's saying it's the end of the air, there's no way it's the end of the Air....no way.

Who knows for certain how much longer the MBA will survive or what Apple's plans for it are? All we do know for sure is it definitely isn't priority # 1 over at Apple.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't think we'll see an update till March and it will be across the entire notebook line. When was the last time apple made a big product release and then had another release a week later?

We have seen spec updates to Macs the week before announcement keynotes. I don't know that it factors into the decision?

Absolutely could be March... especially if the Low Voltage Arrandale isn't ready or if Apple needs to determine the best graphics solution. I do suspect that an update soon probably means Penryn C2D SL9x00 CPUs again, and an Nvidia GPU! And in truth, that's exactly what I am looking for if Apple rushes the decision. I don't want a rushed decision that means Arrandale with only its own IGP as the graphics non-solution.

I will really hope for a quick C2D update with 4GB of RAM and a larger SSD or a delayed "real reason to update" with not only Arrandale, but up to 8GB of RAM and an ATI dedicated graphics solution. I actually believe that Apple will update the MBA when it updates the MBP. It has done that the last two updates. Apple has never waited over nine months to update the MBP....

One way to look at it...
If MBP update = MBA update, and
If MBP update = < 9 months to update,
then MBA = < 9 months to update... MBA should be updated by second week of March at the very latest.

Another way to look at it...
If MBP update = MBA update, and
If MBP = 7 months on average for update,
then the MBA = 7 months for this update... OOPS! January 2010??? We are past due!

Another way to look at it...
If this MBA update = average MBA update, and
If average update = 8 months,
then the MBA update = THIS WEEK!!!

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I too don't like Bootcamp. But really, it comes down to restarting Mac OSX, holding down a key for 5 seconds, and then 20 seconds or so more to be in Windows.

Or alternatively in when your in Mac OS X just click Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Click Windows and restart. Not much savings but it'll prevent you from forgetting to press a key down and load directly to windows... unless you knew this already.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
It looks like a great "deal" on paper (like many PCs) but specs are not everything and is a low price worth the performance, quality, support, and design package it comes with.

Lots of folks buy PC's based on the price and specs but MAC folks tend to by for productivity and user experience. That why PC folks call MAC's overpriced status symbols and MAC folks call PC's exercises in unreliable frustration.

Neither one is right or wrong. Its just where you place your value. Me, I'll spend the extra money on a MBA but thats not the right choice for everyone.

+1 This is a great description.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I'm sure you've all seen it on the deal websites, but Dell is selling the Adamo Admire with a 1.4GHZ Core2Duo and a 256 samsung 1.8" SSD for $999 brand new. It only has 2GB of ram, however I feel like it's a deal and half for $999. The SSD alone sells for $649 on dells website.

So I ask you the question, are you tempted to buy it?

Link to the computer.
http://www.dell.com/business/laptops#subcats=laptop-adamo&navla=&a=

**** no - or should I more politically correctly say: 'shoot no'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.