Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
If optimised battery charging never worked, would you guys go through the hassle of resetting it back to factory settings and installing everything again?

My iPhone’s optimised battery charging used to work but Apple reset the device. I then went on holiday for ten days so it didn’t get a chance to learn my charging habits. I’m worried now it won’t learn my patterns when I get back and kick in.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It doesn’t work unless your charging habits are absolutely rigid and unchanging. When I had an Apple Watch it never worked period. It never once worked on my Mac.

It’s about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. So no. Well, you could, but it still won’t work.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It doesn’t work unless your charging habits are absolutely rigid and unchanging. When I had an Apple Watch it never worked period. It never once worked on my Mac.

It’s about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. So no. Well, you could, but it still won’t work.
It works for me - but I tend to have a consistent schedule.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024

Thanks. If they become rigid and unchanging for a long time, would it eventually work or have I broken the feature from ever working by going on holiday before it had a chance to learn my charging patterns?

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
It works for me - but I tend to have a consistent schedule.
Would you reset your device if it didn’t work? It used to work and then Apple reset my iPhone relating to another issue and optimised charging doesn’t seem to be working - but I’ve been away on holiday for 10 days since they reset it.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
If it worked previously then most likely it just needs to learn your routine again. Highly doubtful that a reset will make any difference. Probably more likely to extend the process further.
I’m just not sure if I’ve broken the feature by going away on holiday before it had a chance to learn my charging habits and whether it’s worth a reset of the device if it never works on return? I turned off optimising charging whilst on holiday so it didn’t learn a false pattern.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I would not reset it, but I would make sure everything is turned on in Location Services as per Apple’s instructions:

PS Once you have gone through the check list above, it would take your iPhone about two weeks to learn your charging habits.

Last edited:
Reactions: WinSoft

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
I would not reset it, but I would make sure everything is turned on in Location Services as per Apple’s instructions:

PS Once you have gone through the check list above, it would take your iPhone about two weeks to learn your charging habits.
I’m just not sure if I’ve broken the feature by going away on holiday before it had a chance to learn my charging habits and whether it’s worth a reset of the device if it never works on return? I turned off optimising charging whilst on holiday so it didn’t learn a false pattern.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

My understanding is that if you turn it on now, it will pick up your usual locations and usage patterns and will start charging your iPhone accordingly within about two weeks from now. When I had it turned on, I used to charge my iPhone overnight in the same place, so it was working fine. Now I just have it charging to 80%, so it is no longer relevant.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
My understanding is that if you turn it on now, it will pick up your usual locations and usage patterns and will start charging your iPhone accordingly within about two weeks from now. When I had it turned on, I used to charge my iPhone overnight in the same place, so it was working fine. Now I just have it charging to 80%, so it is no longer relevant.
Okay, thank you very much.

Reactions: one more

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
You can just toggle it off and on again. I've done this and reset significant locations multiple times to try and get this feature to work again after it consistently did for the first 4 months, then inexplicably never again. This is with a 13 Mini, now 90% battery health and nightly charging at home. On a somewhat related note my M2 MBP realised fairly quickly that it's mainly tethered to power and has capped its charge at 80% with no third party software intervention. It beats me why optimised battery charging has failed for so many people with iOS after having worked well for a while.

ps Perhaps you're right and maybe only a factory reset has a decent chance to kick it back to life.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
You can just toggle it off and on again. I've done this and reset significant locations multiple times to try and get this feature to work again after it consistently did for the first 4 months, then inexplicably never again. This is with a 13 Mini, now 90% battery health and nightly charging at home. On a somewhat related note my M2 MBP realised fairly quickly that it's mainly tethered to power and has capped its charge at 80% with no third party software intervention. It beats me why optimised battery charging has failed for so many people with iOS after having worked well for a while.

ps Perhaps you're right and maybe only a factory reset has a decent chance to kick it back to life.
Does your iPhone 13 Mini now optimise charge after toggling it on and off & clearing significant location history?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I think your phone will eventually pick up the schedule, but it may take awhile. My 15Pro took 30 days to start optimizing the charging and I was not traveling or having a varied schedule. So, it may take some time.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Does your iPhone 13 Mini now optimise charge after toggling it on and off & clearing significant location history?
I'm afraid not. It's frustrating having a smaller battery and dipping into 90% health that its only worked for the first 4 months for me.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
I think your phone will eventually pick up the schedule, but it may take awhile. My 15Pro took 30 days to start optimizing the charging and I was not traveling or having a varied schedule. So, it may take some time.
Okay, thanks. I was just worried about interrupting the learning period whilst going away and turning it off so it didn’t learn anything whilst abroad. If it never learns it again, would you reset the device?

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
I'm afraid not. It's frustrating having a smaller battery and dipping into 90% health that its only worked for the first 4 months for me.
Oh dear, that is annoying. What are you doing to do? A full reset and setting it up as new may resolve the issue but it would take ages?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Okay, thanks. I was just worried about interrupting the learning period whilst going away and turning it off so it didn’t learn anything whilst abroad. If it never learns it again, would you reset the device?
If after over 30 days of being in a stable location it doesn't start optimizing, then that might be an option...but depends on how badly you want the optimized charging to work. I bet it will be ok once you get back from your travels and are on a more set schedule.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
If after over 30 days of being in a stable location it doesn't start optimizing, then that might be an option...but depends on how badly you want the optimized charging to work. I bet it will be ok once you get back from your travels and are on a more set schedule.
Thank you, hopefully when I get home and switch the option on again it will eventually learn the pattern again over a month or so.

Reactions: VineRider

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
If optimised battery charging never worked, would you guys go through the hassle of resetting it back to factory settings and installing everything again?
No, and I wouldn't worry about it. I have never given my 12 Pro any special handling at all, and my battery is still at 89% after 3 1/2 years.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
My 11PM usually takes about 3-7 days to recognize a change in behavior and then it takes about another week to establish a rudimentary pattern. All optimized charging does is cap your battery at 80% until it anticipates that you are going to pull it off charge. If you're traveling or something I'd just turn it off until you get home and then restart it and let it figure out what you're doing from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.