Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
No, and I wouldn't worry about it. I have never given my 12 Pro any special handling at all, and my battery is still at 89% after 3 1/2 years.
Okay, thank you. Does your optimise charge or should I just not worry at all?

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
My 11PM usually takes about 3-7 days to recognize a change in behavior and then it takes about another week to establish a rudimentary pattern. All optimized charging does is cap your battery at 80% until it anticipates that you are going to pull it off charge. If you're traveling or something I'd just turn it off until you get home and then restart it and let it figure out what you're doing from there.
Thank you so much. I turned it off as I’m on holiday on a cruise and it didn’t have a chance to recognise my routine after Apple reset the device and will turn it back on when I get back home. I just hope it learns again but it not I’m not sure whether I should reset the device. Cheers for the help.

Reactions: OneBar

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Thanks. If they become rigid and unchanging for a long time, would it eventually work or have I broken the feature from ever working by going on holiday before it had a chance to learn my charging patterns?
It learns continuously. If you change your habits, it will adapt. However, this is also why it won’t really work if you change your schedule all the time, because then it has no stable signal to adapt to.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Okay, thank you. Does your optimise charge or should I just not worry at all?
Though I do have the "Optimized Battery Charging" switch on, it never stops charging at 80%. My schedule is fairly erratic, so I guess it's never figured out when to stop at 80%.

Stop worrying and enjoy your phone!

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Thank you so much. I turned it off as I’m on holiday on a cruise and it didn’t have a chance to recognise my routine after Apple reset the device and will turn it back on when I get back home. I just hope it learns again but it not I’m not sure whether I should reset the device. Cheers for the help.
I wouldn't bother. Even if you're planning long term ownership like me, it's not going to preserve your battery that much. The only reason I have it on is because I have my phone on a wireless charge stand all day and it was getting warm before I turned it on.

Reactions: WinSoft

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Though I do have the "Optimized Battery Charging" switch on, it never stops charging at 80%. My schedule is fairly erratic, so I guess it's never figured out when to stop at 80%.

Stop worrying and enjoy your phone!
Thank you, that’s really reassuring.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
I wouldn't bother. Even if you're planning long term ownership like me, it's not going to preserve your battery that much. The only reason I have it on is because I have my phone on a wireless charge stand all day and it was getting warm before I turned it on.
Cheers, I am planning for long term ownership which is why I was a bit worried. Thanks again.

Reactions: OneBar

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cheers, I am planning for long term ownership which is why I was a bit worried. Thanks again.
This is not anything to worry over. Death, taxes, financial security, the health and well being of yourself and loved ones, etc, yeah. Wrapping yourself around the battery axle and getting twisted to nothing is not.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I turned off optimising charging whilst on holiday so it didn’t learn a false pattern.
Well if you had that feature deactivated while you were on holiday, why would you expect that it could impact how the device learned your usage patterns? Makes no sense to me at all. Just turn it on and start using the device as normal now and it will learn, easy peasy. Also this from Apple's support doc:

Optimized charging is designed to engage only in locations where you spend the most time, such as your home and place of work. The feature doesn't engage when your usage habits are more variable, such as when you travel.

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
If optimised battery charging never worked, would you guys go through the hassle of resetting it back to factory settings and installing everything again?

My iPhone’s optimised battery charging used to work but Apple reset the device. I then went on holiday for ten days so it didn’t get a chance to learn my charging habits. I’m worried now it won’t learn my patterns when I get back and kick in.
Absolutely not. Could not possibly care less about said feature. As if iPhone wasn't usable before this relatively new software feature.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have been survived just fine without any sort of optimised charging in the past, and if I ever want to care about prolonging battery health like this, I’ll much prefer a single switch to limit it at 80% no matter what, and turn it on or off when I feel the need for it. Smart learning like this never worked on me before and still doesn’t work today, and I’ve got over it pretending it doesn’t exist.

Oh and there is absolutely no chance I’ll do a painful reset and restore just for the sake of this one feature, or any singular feature for that matter, unless the benefit far outweighs the cost.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Thank you very much everyone for helping to put this feature into perspective. I will forget about it and if it eventually works again, great. If not then I don’t know whether I’ll charge through the day instead of overnight but I don’t really want to be dictated by my iPhone what to do.

Reactions: eyoungren

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Thank you very much everyone for helping to put this feature into perspective. I will forget about it and if it eventually works again, great. If not then I don’t know whether I’ll charge through the day instead of overnight but I don’t really want to be dictated by my iPhone what to do.
Yeah, reset optimised charging when back from your trip and give it 2 to 4 weeks to kick in.

Ive a different take to some responses here and do expect an advertised feature to actually work. Now this may be (a) it used to work 4 months for me, then stopped working entirely (akin to Siri reliability on my OG HomePod) (b) my iP Mini has a smaller battery and thus will need to be replaced sooner, so any included optimisation helps.

Lately I'm using tethered CarPlay that also charges so I expect that variable to interfere with the charge pattern (though it shouldn't as the car isn't a significant location). When it did work whilst charging overnight, at about 5am it would indeed switch from the 80% float charge to continue to 100%, in time for when I get up.

Having said all that, I would still not bother to do a factory reset as I've lost faith that the function will ever work as it did previously and now I'm on 90% health after 14 months ownership anyways. There's plenty threads of others struggling to have this work also.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Yeah, reset optimised charging when back from your trip and give it 2 to 4 weeks to kick in.

Ive a different take to some responses here and do expect an advertised feature to actually work. Now this may be (a) it used to work 4 months for me, then stopped working entirely (akin to Siri reliability on my OG HomePod) (b) my iP Mini has a smaller battery and thus will need to be replaced sooner, so any included optimisation helps.

Lately I'm using tethered CarPlay that also charges so I expect that variable to interfere with the charge pattern (though it shouldn't as the car isn't a significant location). When it did work whilst charging overnight, at about 5am it would indeed switch from the 80% float charge to continue to 100%, in time for when I get up.

Having said all that, I would still not bother to do a factory reset as I've lost faith that the function will ever work as it did previously and now I'm on 90% health after 14 months ownership anyways. There's plenty threads of others struggling to have this work also.
Is resetting optimised charging turning it back on? Hopefully that will work.

Yes, I agree that it should work. If I buy something and it has features advertised, I expect them to work. But I also know that modern technology never works that way!

I’m just annoyed as it used to work before Apple reset my iPhone but then the ringer volume didn’t always work and now does - so I don’t want to mess around resetting again.

I hate features working and then breaking. It’s so annoying isn’t it? Thankfully the optimised charging issue will only shorten the lifespan by a few months and you can replace batteries.

Also at least everything else works too! My old Samsung used to have huge problems connecting to data and it was brand new, hence why I shifted across to Apple.

I just don’t know now whether to charge during the day so I don’t have to worry about OC anyway. But then I feel like my iPhone is dictating my routine to me rather than the other way round.

Hopefully OC will kick in within a month of getting back anyway. 🤞

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Is resetting optimised charging turning it back on? Hopefully that will work.
Yes, and for good measure I've tried resetting significant locations also with no luck.
I just don’t know now whether to charge during the day so I don’t have to worry about OC anyway. But then I feel like my iPhone is dictating my routine to me rather than the other way round.

Hopefully OC will kick in within a month of getting back anyway. 🤞
Anecdotally, when buying the Mini, I asked an Apple employee on the best charging habits to preserve the battery. His response.."charge as little as possible" ;)

I wouldn't say the ph dictates your habits, more so your giving it the best opportunity in the learning phase. If however this varies outside your use case or impedes having enough battery during the day, then yes, it's pointless. For me an overnight charge was sufficient to get me comfortably through the day so this nightly charge routine should have theoretically worked. Off course that's all academic now as I've introduced CP use (charging) into the equation.

Yup, hopefully it'll work for you in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

WinSoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Yes, and for good measure I've tried resetting significant locations also with no luck.

Anecdotally, when buying the Mini, I asked an Apple employee on the best charging habits to preserve the battery. His response.."charge as little as possible" ;)

I wouldn't say the ph dictates your habits, more so your giving it the best opportunity in the learning phase. If however this varies outside your use case or impedes having enough battery during the day, then yes, it's pointless. For me an overnight charge was sufficient to get me comfortably through the day so this nightly charge routine should have theoretically worked. Off course that's all academic now as I've introduced CP use (charging) into the equation.

Yup, hopefully it'll work for you in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.
Cheers buddy. I hope it eventually works for you too! If not, it’s not our problem. Apple clearly needs to improve the feature!

Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.