Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Did you ever edit the hosts file on your computer, while following a guide for jailbreaking, blocking access to the update servers? If you never did that, my only other guess is that the update servers are having problems due to the high demand.

these errors are happening for many people, worldwide.

Its not jailbreaking thats doing it.

daflipside

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA
Updating to iOS5 fails after backing up of data. Error says unable to update because update server not available.... does anyone else experience the same problem?

Same problem here. I think their servers are overwhelmed, I keep getting my errors when it's trying to process the "Verifying iPad Restore". Tried everything, restart iTunes, re-plugging my iPad, etc. Now unfortunately I am stuck at the "Plug in iPad to iTunes" splash screen. I just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and it works fine. Only thing and it happens every iOS update is it screws up my folders and places my apps all over my iPhone and iPad. :confused:

Bigcclass09

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
not happy

if i didn't love apple and really want iOS 5 i would burn my iPhone with godzilla flames, I've been trying to update for an hour, i had to get my iPhone bricked by iTunes, and i don't even jailbreak, to get it to finally update, this shouldn't be so hard for me to update my apple device, iOS 5 being awesome might help remedy my pain with updating my iPhone, the part that pisses me off is that it goes through the update then decides to cut out in the middle. idk whats wrong with my iPhone but if i had the money id be getting the 4S, this is getting on my nerves

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Reminders... Less than I'd hoped..

Ok, the one feature I really was looking forward to in iOS 5 was the location-based reminders....

I was under the impression that we could set the range of the reminder... All I see is "When I leave" and "When I arrive"... That's not horribly useful.

I had hoped that I could set a reminder to remind me to buy cat food, turkey, or vitamins when I was say 5 mi away from the store I buy those things at, to prevent me from forgetting and just driving by, only to remember when I got home... You know, a useful reminder....

Am I just missing something here?

Hrmph.. :mad:

Last edited:

Man9z0r

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
SLO, CA
My iPad has had the biggest issues updating to iOS 5. I downloaded iOS 5 twice and was getting an error number 3002. Went through all of the steps that apple mentioned and it still didn't work. Just finally got it to work using a restore. Didn't say it was going to delete all my data but that is what restores normally do. So I will see when that is finished. Man this is just a mess.

In the mean time I have been able to update my macbook pro and iCloud doesn't seem to really do much. It won't sync my current email addresses?!?! I had to create a .me account. What is the point of that!?!?! I don't want another email address. As far as files are concerned it just seems like it syncs iWorks files. Does anyone know if this is for sure? Like I can't sync my regular data files?

Not to stoked so far! :mad:

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
when will 10.7.2 be available through the App Store?

I'm ready to upgrade to Lion through the App Store, but I want to wait until they update the store to 10.7.2. Does anyone have a rough estimate about how long Apple takes to update the App Store? Obviously, I could buy/download 10.7.1, and then apply the update, but I thought it would be easier to do it in one step instead of two.

Thanks.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Yep. Got OSX update done without too much trouble (took about half an hour to get the files down, but update went fine). Updates iPhoto, made sure all my iOS apps were up to date. Downloaded iOS5 reasonably quickly, but now I've been trying for 2 hours to get it to install on my iPhone and iPad, and it's fail fail fail. What's particularly annoying is after every failed attempt, it insists on making yet another full backup, so it takes ages between each failed attempt. Also, iCloud doesn't seem to want to actually upload anything from contacts on my mac either. I assume it's all down to the hammering the servers are getting, but it's really frustrating.

iPhone worked at 1st try, iPad needed 3, but now it succeeded. Keep trying.
Can't move my mobileme account though. It says "Try again later". I sure will ;)

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Not just a little annoyed. I am disappointed in Apple and how this update is going - well, NOT going.

At times I even get the White Apple on my phone screen with a status bar showing the load and iTunes saying "Restoring iPhone software", and even "Restoring iPhone firmware..." Then it again fails and gives a (3014) error code. It is a very frustrating "catch 22". I am mid-restore, so can't just get back to my last iOS 4 so I have a phone to use, but can't get iOS 5 to load without failing.

Wasting the day, hoping that maybe try number 20 will work, and so on . . . .

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Yep. Got OSX update done without too much trouble (took about half an hour to get the files down, but update went fine). Updates iPhoto, made sure all my iOS apps were up to date. Downloaded iOS5 reasonably quickly, but now I've been trying for 2 hours to get it to install on my iPhone and iPad, and it's fail fail fail. What's particularly annoying is after every failed attempt, it insists on making yet another full backup, so it takes ages between each failed attempt. Also, iCloud doesn't seem to want to actually upload anything from contacts on my mac either. I assume it's all down to the hammering the servers are getting, but it's really frustrating.

I had to put my phone in Airplane mode because it kept ringing and interrupting the backup and mine worked fine. Others have said going to airplane mode has fixed other issues too.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I had to put my phone in Airplane mode because it kept ringing and interrupting the backup and mine worked fine. Others have said going to airplane mode has fixed other issues too.

I've tried a range of the various suggestions people have come up with and no luck. If the current attempt fails, I'll go to bed and try it in the morning when N.America is asleep (I'm in Europe).

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
This actually worries me. All the woes I'm having must transition to the average consumer. If I wasn't a geek, I'd be pretty upset with this update process. Thank God this medieval update process has been gotten rid of in iOS 5.

I can understand all the network problems due to the Apple servers being slammed, but I can't understand the local problems, like corrupt backups :confused:

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Only iOS 5 update issue to report is that when iTunes restored my apps, it added a few I'd disabled long ago, and didn't put them on the correct pages, or in their folders... Took a while to clean up that mess..

Besides that the update seems to have run smooth enough.

I do not like the iPod app being replaced by Music and Videos... blech..

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
On my iPad2 the weather and stock widgets are not in the notification center. Anybody else?

there isn't any for the iPad. probably because those things require internet and there isn't always internet for wifi only iPads.

mistere

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
iPhone now in update loop...

looks like my iPhone 4 is bricked ... update to iOS failed, tried all sorts including restarting phone, now it's stuck in a loop between the apple logo and the rotating circle thing iTunes won't pick it up anymore.... oh dear ... UK user here ...

mthanded

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
gmail push is no longer working for me. Setup gmail using the standard exchange method to get push working and it seems to be broken now.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What's happening to your iPad? Don't worry, it shouldn't be completely bricked and you should be able to restore it if you enter DFU mode.

I am in the third hour with my iPad, trying to get it back to where it was so I can try this mess all over again. If I can't update it to 5 then it won't be of much use since syncing will no longer work after the move to iCloud. I guess I can always wipe it and get a few bucks for it on Ebay.

I had a five year run of perfect, flawless Mac and device updates from Apple and I guess it had to end sometime but why did it have to take out my $850 iPad?!?!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Does anyone know how over-the-air iOS updates will go from now on? Will there simply be a notification when a update is released and you accept and it updates- or is there something in settings or iCloud that has to be turned on to allow these sync-free iOS updates?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This doesn't bode confidence on Apple's iCloud and data center. I've been trying to install Lion, and the estimated download time from the App store is 2 days. I even try installing from an older version that I made into a USB key, and the installer failed because it says it cannot download some components.

Really? :mad:

Ptit

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
moon
YES

Finally iOS5 is released. Looking forward to iMessage, new lockscreen and the reminders app

apple is so cool. i cant shut of face, places, locations and now i will be able to share more then facebook ever dreamed off, not even wikileaks can hack this site, imagine, of all sites, must be so safe becuase apple says so right?

jayfehr

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Yeah and already lots of problems. WiFi syncing only seems to work when plugged into my computer even though I've set all the settings for Wireless sync. When I go to manually do a WiFi Sync in the settings, the button is greyed out until I plug it into my computer, only then does it become active. The instructions say it needs to be connected to a power source and on the same WiFi network as the PC, but when I just plug it into the charger, the WiFi sync is still greyed out. I was told, once set up, the phone should still appear in iTunes after being plugged out, but mine just disconnects. Any ideas?

To enable wi-fi syncing you need to check a box in iTunes while your phone is plugged in. Took me a while to figure it out. It's in the same section as the encrypt backups and mange manually options.

OliveHugh

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
there isn't any for the iPad. probably because those things require internet and there isn't always internet for wifi only iPads.

Thanks...but my iPod Touch has it now and that doesn't always have internet. Both have wifi only. Are you positive? Why would iPod Touch have the widgets but the iPad2 wifi doesn't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.