Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by iJon
i think apple is going to do well with these. i look at these as a coolness factor and size factor as apposed to gigabytes. i want a mini ipod so bad, and i will probably buy one just ot have one. i love the size.these will play out just like the 5gb ipods, give it some time and they will probably drop to 199, just like how every apple product does. so of you complaining, just wait cause apples not gona give a s*** about what you say about ipods, steve will have you all on the automatic spam filter in mail anyways. i have already sold some and nobody was complaing about prices, there is a market for them, and they will sell, they will sell just fine.

iJon
I agree ijon, apple allways charges a premium when it launches a new product( You pay for the name) then they decrease the price later. I like the look better,the size ,color and how many songs do you really need to carry? If apple does a new computer that this matches or plugs into this will be even a bigger hit. your letters are a waste of time. Apple does what Apple wants to that i know for certain.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
as long as there are 256 MB flash players priced at $150 to $200 and 1/1.5/2/4 GB players priced at $200 to $300, apple will do fine with iPod mini. they are not being aggressive with their pricing, that's all.

i believe $50 is a pretty good apple/iPod "premium." a lot of people will pay $50 more to get an iPod mini over others. if there were 2/4 GB HD players priced $100 below iPod mini, then apple should worry, but i don't see those yet.

so i think it's rather fruitless to write letters of complaint to apple. it will just sound like "we want stuff cheaper!" whining. afterall, do you see a direct competitor to mini that is significantly cheaper (~$100) than iPod mini?

"But 15 GB iPod is only $50 more!!"

i'm pretty darn sure apple would be more than happy about you spending $50 more than you would have in getting the mini to get the iPod. the money still goes to apple...

the only segment of mp3 players apple hasn't addressed is the low capacity flash players, i.e. 64/128 MB players priced between $75 to $150... not sure if they ever will - they seem to think there's not enough margin for charging the apple "premium" in that market and hence not worth entering for the sake of entering...

lakhdip

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2003
London, U.K.
Market Research

Originally posted by eclipse525
Apple royally screwed up with this announcement. The mini is just TOO much money. What market were they trying to capture here. I know it wasn't the under $200 market. Which is the market they shouldn't focused on. Under $200 is a HUGE market. $250 just ain't cutting it. They need a reality check. Most people in this country aren't doing as financially well as Mr.Jobs.

Is sub $200 a huge market? Do we really know. We represent a skewed representation of the market. Our opinion may not neccesarily be what happens in the marketplace.

Consumers realise that, generally, a smaller electronics product will come with a higher cost (apart from tv's and a few others), but gadgets particularly. Consumers also realise that price will decrease with time as the device becomes cheaper to make.

Most of us are aware of the model for consumer electronic goods retailing requires the early adopters to subsidise the intial cost of starting production with price being cut to a point where a larger number of ordinary consumers become interested and the organisation is in a good position to scale production to match demand.

I find your point that the "$250 price point needs a reality check" to be unfounded. Perhaps that is your personal opinion, but until we see some sales figures... none of us really know how well this device has been priced. But most of us suspect that is there some wiggle room in the price, and I would not be surprised to see the magic $50 price drop by fall.

Originally posted by eclipse525

Not to get off topic BUT that's why a large number of people opt for PC's oppose to Mac's. NOT because they don't like Mac's a prefer PC's but rather they just can't afford it and there's nothing wrong with that.
~e

I don't agree with this point either. In fact, I think that the majority of Apple's products represent reasonable value for money. Especially taking into account the total cost of ownership. The portable line especially. I would think that the 10 common myths and learning curve is a greater barrier to Apple's target switchers than price.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
From seeing the reactions of many people, there does seem to be a good market for these.

If you honestly think Mac Rumors extremists are a good sampling of the general consensus of 95% of the average Apple users in the world, I'd like to take a puff or two on whatever you're smoking.

WHY do you need SO MUCH SPACE on an mp3 player? I've got a 30GB iPod, it's cool and all... but I only listen to my 4+ stars playlist, which is currently around 300 songs. Let's say on the HIGH SIDE of 5 megs a song, that's only a gig and a half. All the music I listen to, and I'll still have over 60% free space on an iPod Mini. I think my 4+ Star playlist is nearly 14 hours long, and on most days, I'm not even awake 14 hours, much less listening to music for 14 hours. I don't really understand the infatuation with having every CD you've ever owned with singles and remixes at the touch of a button. ...I guess it's cool if you're sitting around and feel like listening to whatever track 6 is of Vanilla Ice's To The Extreme, but that's about it.

I promise you the logic path most consumers will go on will be like this: "Well, I'm a casual downloader/music collector and have a collection that fits on a CDR or two that I've been working on for the past couple years, I don't know why I'd ever need 15 Gigabytes!" I know a TON of people who have pre-ordered the iPod Mini, myself included. If you guys haven't figured out yet that you ALWAYS pay a premium for Apple stuff...

I mean look at PowerBooks and compare what you get dollar per dollar with the PC competition. Avoiding the standard rhetoric "omg megahertz myth" reply, look at the speed of the optical drive, RAM speed, the fact that a lot of PC laptops have dual channel DDR, faster hard drives, better onboard graphics cards, and in a lot of centrino based solutions, much better battery life.

So why would anyone buy a PowerBook? The same reason why the iPod Minis will be impossible for Apple to keep on the shelves.

Edit: Here's a post from another forum I read which cannot be more correct:

A pretty good analogy between the whole ipod/ipond mini are digital cameras. I could've bought the powershot s230 over the s200 but I didn't for several reasons. (3.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom vs 2.0/2x and fairly minimal price difference, at least IIRC)

1) Sure, it offers more megapixels, but if I'm only using it for small web shots, I don't need the higher resolution. Likewise with the mini, I don't need the extra space, so I don't necessarily see it as more value, but rather something I don't need.

2) If you look at the numbers it doesn't seem that much of a size difference, but believe me, when you get down to that size, any small change in measurements can mean that some things feel very different in your hands. I experienced this first hand with the s200 and the s230, and likewise I'd like to get my hands on a mini before I plonk down the cash for it. With the cameras, I realize that if I think it's too big to carry around, I won't use it. I'd rather spend 250 on a camera I'd be likely to use rather than 300 for one that's much nicer but stays in a drawer all day.

3) Meh, I'd like more accessories, but those are small issues which I really don't care about. I'll buy what I need, or just do without.

I'm not dead set on getting a mini, mind you. I just see it as a product that will probably suit my needs just fine.

When it comes down to it, Apple products are sleek and sexy, and just like everything in this world from cars to computers to women, sleek and sexy always costs more.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I work at CompUSA, and i get a lot of people everyday, coming in and asking when are we going to have the Mini. I think that more people have been asking about the arrival of the Mini then they asked about when we would get some G5's. I think Apple's going to be just fine on these.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Love the iPod mini. Just right for MY needs.

Predict (contrary to most) that the price will only be down to $219 by June 2004.

Sales results of the iPod mini, not letters, will influence Apple in pricing. Sales look pretty hot so far.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I really don't see that $250 price is that high, maybe it's because I'm from the UK and used to being ripped off but to me $250 seems cheap when you consider they are going to sell the iPod mini in the UK for £199 which works out to be $376 at the current exchange rate! If they were £149 over here I'd be inclined to buy one even though I already have a 20GB bought in November.

ioinc

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Clearwater, Florida
Originally posted by jxyama
a lot of people will pay $50 more to get an iPod mini over others. if there were 2/4 GB HD players priced $100 below iPod mini, then apple should worry, but i don't see those yet.
[/B]

Now is the time for apple to grab market share. The way to do this is with agressive pricing.

It is unwise to leave the door open and only begin to worry when the competition comes calling. Better to close the door and lock up the market.

Not dropping the price shows a lack of foresight.

It is not good enough to have the best product. (They have had the best personal computer on the market for 20 years).

The name of the game is market share. I is going to be a sad day when they are beat out by a product that is only 'good enough' but priced much better.

And when that product has a greater market share and 3rd party vendors start making add ons that are not compatible for the iPod.. the game will be lost.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Originally posted by ioinc
It is not good enough to have the best product. (They have had the best personal computer on the market for 20 years).

The name of the game is market share
The name of the game is sustainable profits through innovation. When market share is the only way for a company to succeed then it's a sure bet that the company makes a low-margin commodity product.

If market share was the name of the game Apple would have gone out of business many years ago.

Innovative companies don't make commodity products, and they don't outsource to far-flung countries the jobs of their innovative employees.

Apple has a winner in the iPod mini, and is acting very wisely in its pricing.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
To be honest I think that this kind of product people will be willing to pay a premium for, peer pressure will make a lot of teenagers buy one and it'll be the latest cool thing to have on the tube or in the park.

People may look at a product thats $100 less, but will still be inclined, in my opinion, to pay that extra $100 for the brand and the coolness factor, thats what people are willing to pay for and the iPod mini can probably charge a higher percentage premium than the standard iPod due to its diminutive size and cute colours. This product is aiming at a different market to that of the standard iPod, which appeals to "audiophiles" and people with large music collections whereas the mini will appeal to a lot of people with a lesser knowledge of technology (who have only become aware of the iPod due to media coverage over christmas) and latching onto the latest trend now everyone and their mother seems to know what an iPod is! and I also think, from seeing peoples reactions, that the mini will appeal to women more than the standard iPod, as the girls i asked were more interested in the size of the whole thing as opposed to the hard drive and the fact it was pink/blue etc.

Also, many people who have previously looked at the iPod, eliminated the lowest spec one and the highest (as almost everyone seems to do) will look at the mini and think to themselves "Ooh, that iPod mini is $150 less than the one I looked at last time" as opposed to saying "ooh, that iPod mini is still $250"!

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by ioinc
Now is the time for apple to grab market share. The way to do this is with agressive pricing..

I think you better LOOK at the market before saying this.

lakhdip

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2003
London, U.K.
Originally posted by pdrayton
The name of the game is sustainable profits through innovation. When market share is the only way for a company to succeed then it's a sure bet that the company makes a low-margin commodity product.

Apple has a winner in the iPod mini, and is acting very wisely in its pricing.

A great point. I think this is a smart assessment of the music player market.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Originally posted by Considering
This is kinda just common sense, don't ya think? I mean, look at the price of the smallest PC laptops compared to the normal sized. Small = $$, as it has been pointed out before.

Finnally somebody who gets it!

As for all the people who think putting a 2GB drive in should drive the price down $50, you are dead wrong. The price difference between the 2gb and 4gb microdrives is very very little.

I seriously doubt Apple is doing this just to make more money, my guess is that they are selling it for what they can afford to for now. You have to remember that in addition to the manufacturing cost, they also have to pay of the RD cost as well. The iPod can be sold for less because it has been refined and the components are larger and cheaper. The mini is a new gadget. Plus its not being sold based on capacity compared to the big iPods, its being sold on capacity compared to high end flash players, which are priced about $200-$300. So instead of saying the mini is to highly priced, think of the great deal you can get on a 15gb ipod!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by slipper
i just sent in my letter and heres how it goes...

'i would like to comment on the recently released mini iPod. dont you guys think the price is slightly outrageous? $250 is a bit overpriced considering the 15gb iPod is only $50 more. i was looking forward to buying a mini iPod for each of my children, but for $250, i dont think so. As in every online forum that i visited, most people share my view. can you please justify why the mini iPod is so expensive?'\

You think that the mini iPod is outrageously priced? Okay then, what do you get - 4GB's (1,000 songs) for $250. Well why don't you just save $50 and get this (see link below) at 256MBs (120 WMA songs or 60 MP3 songs).

iPod mini.. expensive? really!

This is not just directed to you Slipper, but everyone who says the mini is overpriced. SJ said the mini is here to compete with the high end flash market. And if you call this model above high end, you're kidding yourself. Shop around before you accuse of overpricing.

Achtung_U2

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Chicago, IL, U.S.A!
Originally posted by crees!
You think that the mini iPod is outrageously priced? Okay then, what do you get - 4GB's (1,000 songs) for $250. Well why don't you just save $50 and get this (see link below) at 256MBs (120 WMA songs or 60 MP3 songs).

iPod mini.. expensive? really!

This is not just directed to you Slipper, but everyone who says the mini is overpriced. SJ said the mini is here to compete with the high end flash market. And if you call this model above high end, you're kidding yourself. Shop around before you accuse of overpricing.

crees!

You are sooo right. Thats why I chimed in on this earlier today to remind those who do keep saying how high the price is, of what is out there in the market.

Im glad you showed that Rio model. As I mentioned, it was just over a year ago, that I paid $40 less than the new mini, ($210), for the Nike PSA 128, and I only have an average of 20 song capacity!

I still say the mini is worth every cent right now, and.... the bonus is, as we all know with technology... the mini will get even better, and the price WILL go down... all in due time.

Sooner or later though, we all must draw the line somewhere, as.... if you just kept waiting for the next intro, or the next big or better thing... you would never actually buy, own, use or enjoy any of the products that we all do, buy, own, use and enjoy, especially when it comes to tech & electronics.

Another subjective issue, but for me anyway, the size is very important in these players, and was the reason I did not buy the iPod last year and went with the Nike. I use it at the gym or jogging, and, I dont want anything like an iPod or larger strapped to my arm, the mini is perfcet on that level and I'd be going from 20 songs to 1000.... I think I'd be pretty damn happy on that level as well.

Take care everyone, have a great weekend :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Achtung_U2
crees!

You are sooo right.
Why thank you. In comparison the $50 more price tag is so worth it, but I too would like to see it at $200 which I think that might come sooner than some of us expect.

How about we sign off on this thread?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
whenever i think of the ipod minis being over priced, i dont think of them overpriced compared to other flash players, but when i compare them to their big brother ipods. if you judge them just spec wise for 50 dollars more you get so much more. but when you think of it, it doesnt really matter. apple will be getting your money either way, rather it be a mini or not.

iJon

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think the pricing's no issue. Leave em alone ffs. They're two seperate products. Sure, if the iPod mini was a 4gig version of the normal iPod, you could whinge.. but it's not.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
I think the $50 price difference is great for Apple. Wouldn't they love for you to be attracted to the higher-priced iPod and pay them a little more? The $249 will attract people, and they will either bite for the miniPod or pay more and get a full-capacity iPod.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Originally posted by slipper
i just sent in my letter and heres how it goes...

'i would like to comment on the recently released mini iPod. dont you guys think the price is slightly outrageous? $250 is a bit overpriced considering the 15gb iPod is only $50 more. i was looking forward to buying a mini iPod for each of my children, but for $250, i dont think so. As in every online forum that i visited, most people share my view. can you please justify why the mini iPod is so expensive?'

...after i sent the letter i realized, wouldnt a online petition with a formal letter sent directly to apple be more appropriate?
I just sent my letter and here's how it goes...

"I would like to comment on the 20oz Pepsi. Don't you guys think the price is slightly outrageous? $1.20 is a bit overpriced considering the 68oz Pepsi is only 29 cents more. I was looking forward to buying a 20oz Pepsi for each of my children, but for $1.20 I don't think so. In every online forum I visit most people share my view. Can you please justify why the 20oz Pepsi is so expensive?"

We could do the same comparison with an untold number of products. I'm getting the impression that people who are shocked by the iPod mini pricing are people who don't have real-world experience in shopping for consumer products.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Originally posted by Sayhey
If I was to write a letter to Apple about the iPod mini it would have to be positive.

I would have to say the same thing, except I would discuss the color choices...I can see why they picked some colors, but overall I was not happy with many of the color choices...but my personal opinion. I was unhappy at first with the price, but when i leared the size,e tc. I realize that smaller does indeed cost more than big and cheap when it comes to electronics. Take the eMac for example vs iMac...cost difference is somewhat due to the engeneering that went into the iMac design...and any improvemnts need to fit within that design...obviously there are other differences including the LCD which is of course smaller and more costly to produce.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by pdrayton
I just sent my letter and here's how it goes...

"I would like to comment on the 20oz Pepsi. Don't you guys think the price is slightly outrageous? $1.20 is a bit overpriced considering the 68oz Pepsi is only 29 cents more. I was looking forward to buying a 20oz Pepsi for each of my children, but for $1.20 I don't think so. In every online forum I visit most people share my view. Can you please justify why the 20oz Pepsi is so expensive?"

We could do the same comparison with an untold number of products. I'm getting the impression that people who are shocked by the iPod mini pricing are people who don't have real-world experience in shopping for consumer products.

Why don't you just go to 7-11 and buy a BigGulp with pocket change. Some people are just too thrifty and emails like this to Apple are just ignorant.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Originally posted by crees!
Why don't you just go to 7-11 and buy a BigGulp with pocket change. Some people are just too thrifty and emails like this to Apple are just ignorant.
Not sure if that was a response to me. If so, my post was facetious (2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>) ... I didn't send an email to Apple or Pepsi. The point I was making was that the iPod mini pricing is no different than what most companies do with pricing for "small" vs "large" products, and that many posts in this thread don't seem to recognize that. I used a Pepsi analogy because the 20oz bottles have the iTunes promotion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.