Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You're a huge douche lord. :mad:

100% Agreed.

Just a thought, as time zone handicap is lame.

100% Agreed.

In the end it's our own (not yours in this case) fault since all we have to be more careful with our votes. In your case I have to admit of thinking of editing my post the second it was written, but that would be cheating (and I have no clue how many of you receive the original post per mail :D). Sorry. I got rusty too.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
In greatly diminished roles. As we saw this game, things can easily work against the village :eek:

that's a positive in my view, everyone is on more equal footing, and the game is not dominated/dependent on 1-2 players. that's why this kind of format is (in my opinion) much better then the old one. more engaging, fun, and unpredictable (and yes, much more complicated).

what really needs to be worked on is not so much changing the roles, as tweaking the balance to the total number of players.

here we had 12 players and two wolves (and no guard). at which point do we get the third wolf? fourth? what if we have less players?
what else is included/added as the number change.

a possibility:

up to 11 players: 2WW, but only one gets the extra wolf role (assigned randomly between the two)
12-14 players: 2WW, both get extra role (like this game if melrose had played)
15-18 players: 3WW, village gets NW
19 and up: 4WW, village gets NW

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
that's a positive in my view, everyone is on more equal footing, and the game is not dominated/dependent on 1-2 players. that's why this kind of format is (in my opinion) much better then the old one. more engaging, fun, and unpredictable (and yes, much more complicated).

what really needs to be worked on is not so much changing the roles, as tweaking the balance to the total number of players.

here we had 12 players and two wolves (and no guard). at which point do we get the third wolf? fourth? what if we have less players?
what else is included/added as the number change.

a possibility:

up to 11 players: 2WW, but only one gets the extra wolf role (assigned randomly between the two)
12-14 players: 2WW, both get extra role (like this game if melrose had played)
15-18 players: 3WW, village gets NW
19 and up: 4WW, village gets NW

That would work. They way it has been is just sole discretion of the GG at the time of sign-ups.

I still contend that the most complicated game we ever played was 22 players with werewolves and vampires in play. I'll admit to complicating in a fair bit with my misdirection as the goth early on :p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That would work. They way it has been is just sole discretion of the GG at the time of sign-ups.

I still contend that the most complicated game we ever played was 22 players with werewolves and vampires in play. I'll admit to complicating in a fair bit with my misdirection as the goth early on :p

ha, i was just thinking about a three party play. I never actually played one with Vamps, or my first one eventually. But that went over quick when I scanned MOYANK - THE ALPHA WW the first night. Should have taken some more notes. There was a role which had to be activated, right? The ghoul or something. That sounded like fun.

I think the idea with a conventional NW is fine and worth a try. I could also live with say 36h or 48h long days so everybody can get a say (lost in the woods 'excuses' are more obvious too I hope). We don't play that often anyway so why the rush, plus one doesn't have to hurry through the thread to make an educated guess. But I can live with the current format as well.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
i'll work on a expansion/clarification of the rules, including the aspects discuss above and post it on a separate thread for discussion/sign up for the next game

ever had a "hitchhikers..." game? :)

could be fun. who'd be fighting for canada anyway..:D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
right now i am thinking of a Disc World one.

the problem with me running games really is the narrative part.
it is just so time consuming

That'd be awesome! Still have the books somewhere...in the basement.

I don't know about you guys, but if I could choose between a AAA narration and an actual game the choice would be easy. But I understand that the level you guys are writing on sure makes for tough competition. But, yep, if it weren't for the narrations I'd try to host one myself long ago. Butchering the English language more than enough as is though. Mine would have been a Lovecraft one...maybe one tuesday..

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I debated on bringing Melrose in with my necromancer power but quickly dismissed the idea because I wasn't expecting to be taken out so quickly. When I checked I was killed, I was very furious;)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Next time how 'bout we're all villagers and just start trying to vote each other off? This way, there's no confusion over roles and no finger point when we're all done. :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Super confusing is quite right.

Only aspect that bugs me a littel with the complex games is that there is inevitable one point near the end, when I refuse to think of ALL the possibilities because it would just melt my brain, seems impossible - and would be too time demanding (I can't concentrate enough to do that besides working :D).

I was wondering how it would work out when the GG announces at the start what powers are in play. The Morpher would be some sort of Joker then (villager exclusive, not core I'd say).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Only aspect that bugs me a littel with the complex games is that there is inevitable one point near the end, when I refuse to think of ALL the possibilities because it would just melt my brain, seems impossible - and would be too time demanding (I can't concentrate enough to do that besides working :D).

I was wondering how it would work out when the GG announces at the start what powers are in play. The Morpher would be some sort of Joker then (villager exclusive, not core I'd say).

Re a Discworld game - I have a few books, lovely trilogy hardbacks winging their merry way to me - and, needless to say, I would be fascinated and interested in a game based on the whole idea of the Discworld universe.

Re these new powers and additions, I think - overall - that they are an excellent addition to the game, (super confusing, yes) and they allow everyone to feel involved, and to feel they have a role to play - especially those who are not among the 'core' roles, but I imagine that a little further tweaking might serve to iron out some of the issues.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

This has a lot of repercussions. It could seriously change the tactics for the wolves (say, if they know a necromancer is in play or not) and the villagers (meddler in play). These aren't necessarily negative, but it would be a big change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.