Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
No need to worry. I'd use the "normal" name with a slash to avoid people constantly referring back. I admit i had to this game for getting the cylons straight. Two numbers, one spelled out but one just the number itself :confused::confused:

edit: Should I start a thread? I thought twietee or someone else said he/they wanted to run one. I don't want to steal.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I don't understand your tumblr reference. :confused:

It's nothing. You just started poking me for fun when you were entering said bar..:D But of course I'm joking:

as I said earlier, hats off! I always get very involved in these games, so they are incredible fun, but I miss lots of things. Doesn't really matter most of the time, because most of the time I die very early. Going to work on that. :) This time, Fortune favored the Fool.

edit: Should I start a thread? I thought twietee or someone else said he/they wanted to run one. I don't want to steal.

Well, one day I will. But not in the near future. Moyank and QoS wanted to do one together iirc. But I'm not sure if we can spare another player, 15 seems like a good number. Maybe some lurkers got interested...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A superb game; normally, after I am killed in a game, I don't have a huge interest in it, and just flick through the thread in question to see what ultimately transpired.

However, the twists and turns this game took were actually very exciting, ravenvii's narrative was really superb (even though I didn't get any of the Battlestar Galactica references), and it really did come down to the last scene.

Excellent play by the specials.

One final thing: Once I was killed actually, even before that, I was absolutely certain that my old friend jav6454, as per usual, had been instrumental in prompting my demise......

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
One final thing: Once I was killed actually, even before that, I was absolutely certain that my old friend jav6454, as per usual, had been instrumental in prompting my demise......

They advised from time to time, but I made the final calls... and normally I didn't listen to them anyway, for better or for worse... :eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nay, the decision to extinguish your life came directly from the murderous Panda. My hand stayed steady the entire time... I was not lying when I made my post about this.

They advised from time to time, but I made the final calls... and normally I didn't listen to them anyway, for better or for worse... :eek:

Well, howsoever it may be, it left me utterly convinced of jav's guilt, and I was surprrised at how long it took colleagues to start considering that he might be among the Cylons.

But a terrific game, one and all - really very well played and quite exciting, too, when one viewed it as a spectator. And again, thunderous applause for ravenvii's excellence as a GameGod, and narrator.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I like the radical approach of not interacting at all, working as independent cells. Although I found great joy in the perfidious plotting and killing together with Koodauw and QoS when I had a brief wolfish appearance once and would miss it.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I figured people would want a breaking bad version. Is someone else running one? Don't have time right now, but in a couple days...

Yesssssss. This! But let's keep the same general names for roles. I'm a horrible person who hasn't watched Battlestar Galactica and it was confusing for me.

No, no. That wouldn't do. You'd need a servant of R'hollor, a Master of Whispers, A Silent Sister, A Hand of the King, a... :)

i have never watched breaking bad.
I have never watched game of thrones either, but i did read the books last month (except the fifth, for which I am waiting the paperback edition to come out).

but one would have to keep the names, just make use the /classicrole at the beginning.
and there are so many characters that would fit perfectly some of the roles!
there are a lot of options on how to set it up with factions too. for example the lannisters could be the baddies/WW, or -with a good/bad role reversal- the minority WW/starks rebels need to eliminate the majority of lannisters and their allies.
not to mention the others and a lot of additional options

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Moyank and QoS wanted to do one together iirc. But I'm not sure if we can spare another player, 15 seems like a good number. Maybe some lurkers got interested...

My post sounds actually stupid. If you two still want to host an awesome game I'd be the first to sign in - well, trying to at least.

I have never watched game of thrones either, but i did read the books last month (except the fifth, for which I am waiting the paperback edition to come out).

Never seen Breaking Bad? I'd personally vote for The Wire, but could see that being out of date or even better Twin Peaks. :cool: But of course I'm fine with everything, y'all are incredible storytellers and writers.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

but one would have to keep the names, just make use the /classicrole at the beginning.
there are a lot of options on how to set it up with factions too. for example the lannisters could be the baddies/WW, or -with a good/bad role reversal- the minority WW/starks rebels need to eliminate the majority of lannisters and their allies.

Yes, I would need to ponder the factions to be used and how to structure the narratives with characters having set roles and their identities hidden as ravenvii just did, or in the classical way. I'm thinking it would almost have to be as this game has been done. I find the idea of not including the others (explicitly) and making it focus on people and a war for the throne more intriguing.

Turn-about could be fun too. They even have the "Young Wolf" :D

edit: Look what I found: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680252891/werewolf?ref=category

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

A few points: great game, you excelled as Athena.

When twietee asked where "Milliways" was, I had to exercise quite a heroic degree of self restraint not to leap in and reply - given that I was dead and required to observe the convention that the deceased refrain from posting.

I, too, have never seen 'Breaking Bad' and haven't the slightest clue what it is about. Now, I haven't seen 'Game of Thrones' either, but I have read the books, and so have some idea of the thoughts and themes behind the whole thing.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Ha! Wonder what the Witch and Wizard are all about, though...

I'm trying to find that out now.

I also learned about "Cupid." A villager that picks two players to be "lovers." If one dies, so does the other. They can be any mixture of good/bad. They also win "together". However, this might not work that well.

edit: seems that they are just the normal seer (role vs. alignment)/witch doctor (reanimation) abilities.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(game)#Optional_roles and here

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think the doctors could be really cool. Opposed to the Necromancer? Finding a way to involve the dead players could be fantastic.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think the doctors could be really cool. Opposed to the Necromancer? Finding a way to involve the dead players could be fantastic.

I am generally wary of anything that introduces a third faction or radically changes the nature of the game in the middle of it. I think it's too much uncertainty and source of confusion. Not to say I wouldn't implement something people want.

I like the idea of the tracker and the watcher (here). Tracker can see the target of any other player's actions, but not the action. A Watcher can see who else targeted a particular person, but not the action. I thought of a similar role before called "psychic" where they see a list of people acted upon, but not who did the acting or the action. That'd be a more powerful version of the watcher.

Jailkeeper is also interesting. They protect a certain player but also invalidate that player's actions, if they have any. i.e. you protect the seer but they can't scan that night.

edit: The latter list of roles also allows for a "tree stump." Someone who cannot be lynched but also cannot vote. In some version, you can render others as tree stumps, or one can choose to stump themselves.

edit 2: If I do run a game, I would very much like to implement a tracker or watcher. Perhaps giving the selected person a choice too. Hmm...

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I am generally wary of anything that introduces a third faction or radically changes the nature of the game in the middle of it. I think it's too much uncertainty and source of confusion. Not to say I wouldn't implement something people want.

Didn't really gave it a thought. yeah, when I think about it, I'm not sure how it could work without seriously interfering with the survival theme.

Tracker sounds like good potential. What's the difference between our Zombies and Stumps - only the possibility of openly voicing ones opinion?
Generally, I'm more than fine with the sublime adjustments like ravenvii did with this game. I really dig the setup/mechanics of this game actually - not sure if it was 'easier' than usual - having no infections helped incredibly.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Didn't really gave it a thought. yeah, when I think about it, I'm not sure how it could work without seriously interfering with the survival theme.

Tracker sounds like good potential. What's the difference between our Zombies and Stumps - only the possibility of openly voicing ones opinion?
Generally, I'm more than fine with the sublime adjustments like ravenvii did with this game. I really dig the setup/mechanics of this game actually - not sure if it was 'easier' than usual - having no infections helped incredibly.

Yes, I really like the variations and caveats ravenvii introduced this game. I could see splitting the seer into two roles: the tracker and the watcher.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways

I like the idea of the tracker and the watcher (here). Tracker can see the target of any other player's actions, but not the action. A Watcher can see who else targeted a particular person, but not the action. I thought of a similar role before called "psychic" where they see a list of people acted upon, but not who did the acting or the action. That'd be a more powerful version of the watcher.

Jailkeeper is also interesting. They protect a certain player but also invalidate that player's actions, if they have any. i.e. you protect the seer but they can't scan that night.

edit: The latter list of roles also allows for a "tree stump." Someone who cannot be lynched but also cannot vote. In some version, you can render others as tree stumps, or one can choose to stump themselves.

edit 2: If I do run a game, I would very much like to implement a tracker or watcher. Perhaps giving the selected person a choice too. Hmm...

a lot of these roles we have already used at some point in one game or the other.

we had various instances of resurrection, although i don't see that it introduces a separate faction,

we often had the 'guard' seprate from the huntr under various fashions, and at least once (in the pirate-themed game i run) being in the brig blocked attacks but also neutralized most actions by the character or against the character, similar to the jailkeeper.
(in fac i always disliked that our 'hunter' protects for thematic reasons. hunter is for killing/tracking, guard for protection (or could be a soldier/knight in this context. Sandor 'the hound' Clegane, Brienne, etc..)

we also had something similar to the tracker/watcher, but i forget the details.

to some extent you can chose the characters first, and tailor the abilities to them. key as always is balance. there are lots of possibilities, but make sure you have a healthy number of simple villagers (gold cloaks?), for hiding purposes. otherwise the 'open source' option becomes unbeatable.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
a lot of these roles we have already used at some point in one game or the other.

we had various instances of resurrection, although i don't see that it introduces a separate faction,

we often had the 'guard' seprate from the huntr under various fashions, and at least once (in the pirate-themed game i run) being in the brig blocked attacks but also neutralized most actions by the character or against the character, similar to the jailkeeper.
(in fac i always disliked that our 'hunter' protects for thematic reasons. hunter is for killing/tracking, guard for protection (or could be a soldier/knight in this context. Sandor 'the hound' Clegane, Brienne, etc..)

we also had something similar to the tracker/watcher, but i forget the details.

to some extent you can chose the characters first, and tailor the abilities to them. key as always is balance. there are lots of possibilities, but make sure you have a healthy number of simple villagers (gold cloaks?), for hiding purposes. otherwise the 'open source' option becomes unbeatable.

I was talking about resurrection separately from a zombie faction.

I did not participate in the pirate game, so I didn't see that. I don't recall every seeing tracker/watcher implemented though.

I think this game was balanced well. I'd go for a similar split with this number of people.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
to some extent you can chose the characters first, and tailor the abilities to them.

You mean like twietee: Tyron Lannister / Bastard, Midget - one time ability to slip through his own lynching.

I be that. I also like Sibel Kekilli and to consume red wine; so that fits just as well. :cool:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Would this be of any use to us?

http://www.epicmafia.com/

You can create your own games with a group of people and add/remove roles, set some rules...

I'm gonna play some games on it to see. So far it looks like you have to play in real time which is a no go. But they do have some interesting roles.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Well done my fellow humans, though it sucks to be killed SO close to the end!

Vengeance is mine, Jav! :D

I'm totally down for a Game of Thrones game, though. I may have to pull out the old Cersei avi. You're welcome in advance. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.