Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
As you find the "new design" great i find it .... meh, since for me is not a redesign but a face lift of a 2 year old design,but i will not disagree about the dock or the extra space.

Why does it need a redesign?! plus if you consider this new design a facelift, what do you consider the original to 3G? that was only a slight tweak. 3GS to 4 is the only step that could be considered a redesign.

I never got why people considered the 3G to 3GS and 4 to 4S aren't worthwhile jumps, yes they held the same form factor, but they both featured major internal improvements. It seems people want a redesign for the sake of it looking different just so they can show off they have a new shiny phone....

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
.... Wth, may see new imacs. Why is there no imac love anywhere

Stock is low, bestbuy website has no 27" , apple.com had 4day global shipping slip, 400+ days, all components are out & its a popular mac .

May see retina on it is more like it, imac in june yes. Hi were Apple, log on into our store and see "new" icons on all macs but please buy outdated 2011 model for $$$$!

All signs and reports a few days/ last week said imac. Now one line in 9to5mac derailed that how? Adding another macbook line, no.

weaponEX

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
UK
This is the first time I've specifically awaited a Keynote with this level of frenzied eagerness. I've been hanging on and hanging on for the new Macbook Pros for almost 6 months; but the mac-gasm is close at hand :)

There is nothing to complain about regarding this WWDC2012 - bring it on!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
.... Wth, may see new imacs. Why is there no imac love anywhere

Stock is low, bestbuy website has no 27" , apple.com had 4day global shipping slip, 400+ days, all components are out & its a popular mac .

May see retina on it is more like it, imac in june yes. Hi were Apple, log on into our store and see "new" icons on all macs but please buy outdated 2011 model for $$$$!

All signs and reports a few days/ last week said imac. Now one line in 9to5mac derailed that how? Adding another macbook line, no.

Well, i would prefer SSD in iMac as standard (or at least small SSD for system) then retina... retina as bonus option, SSD as standard, and I am fine:)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
You do realize iCloud has given every user 5GB of free storage since day one?

I can't believe no one has corrected you until now.
I think he's referring to 5 GB of free *file* storage, which iCloud does NOT offer. It offers 5 GB free for generic app data storage, but you can't put your own files there like you could with Dropbox, etc.

I think it's fine as is. Use iCloud for services, Dropbox for files. Besides, I have 25 GB free from Dropbox so it'll be hard to compete with that.

Escargot

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Apple Camera?

David Pogue of the NY times wrote:

"Camera. I bought the amazing Canon S100, a tiny pocket camera with the biggest sensor on the market. I wrote about my reasons here. But in two weeks, I’ll be switching my allegiance. You cannot believe what’s about to come down the photographic pike. Trust me: If you’re in the market for a small camera with astonishing photographic results, hold off for a few weeks."

Is he talking about an Apple Camera?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Macrumors has an international focus and not US only and it annoys me that you only post the US time for all Apple events (10am Pacific).
Many of your readers will have no idea what Pacific actually refers to.

It would be good if you could at least add Paris or London time for Europe.

Both Apple and MR are American therefore they use US time. I'm in the UK and have no problem with that.

East Coast US is 5 hours behind the UK (6 behind mainland Europe) and West Coast is 8 behind the UK

This is actually good for us as it means that the Keynote is at 6pm UK time - just after I get home from work :)

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
This is the first time I've specifically awaited a Keynote with this level of frenzied eagerness. I've been hanging on and hanging on for the new Macbook Pros for almost 6 months; but the mac-gasm is close at hand :)

There is nothing to complain about regarding this WWDC2012 - bring it on!

False. If no imacs by wed am, then mega downer. Waited months for nothing

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Why does it need a redesign?! plus if you consider this new design a facelift, what do you consider the original to 3G? that was only a slight tweak. 3GS to 4 is the only step that could be considered a redesign.

I never got why people considered the 3G to 3GS and 4 to 4S aren't worthwhile jumps, yes they held the same form factor, but they both featured major internal improvements. It seems people want a redesign for the sake of it looking different just so they can show off they have a new shiny phone....

The redesign it is needed because people get tired of having the same phone for 2 years+ apple knows that(at least i hope it does) and so do all the other manufactures, the redesign also helps in what you put inside the phone in most cases, i am not saying it is right or wrong i just say this is the way things are.

As for the internal improvements i don't understand why something like this is mentioned, people sould know that internal improvements are a given you can't stay on top of your game with the same internals you had on the first iphone and continue having high sales,none can do that, the market is moving new hardware is coming out better cpu's,gpu's, better screens etc.
Time for lunch :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Well, i would prefer SSD in iMac as standard (or at least small SSD for system) then retina... retina as bonus option, SSD as standard, and I am fine:)

Due to the design of iMac an components all running hot (within spec but hot) it would be a good engineering decision to use SSD's rather than HDD's to keep the roasty heat down inside there.

Only problem is, the extravagant pricing Apple changes for SSD storage.

Long term future yes, but Apple are not going to dump HDD's for main storage for a few years yet I'd imagine. Not on desktop machines anyway.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
That sounds about right.

----------

I share your concern. The more excited people get, and the more extensive and fantastic the rumors, the more certain it is that what Apple announces, no matter how good it is, will fall short of expectations.

When have apple fans ever not been disappointed after an event? We love our software and the devices they run on but we are always left wanting just a little bit more from these events.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
David Pogue of the NY times wrote:

"Camera. I bought the amazing Canon S100, a tiny pocket camera with the biggest sensor on the market. I wrote about my reasons here. But in two weeks, I’ll be switching my allegiance. You cannot believe what’s about to come down the photographic pike. Trust me: If you’re in the market for a small camera with astonishing photographic results, hold off for a few weeks."

Is he talking about an Apple Camera?

One possible route: Apple may improve its cameras on the iPhone so that it can be used as a pocket camera.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The rumors are way out of control. There are too many things predicted which will not appear that will lead to much disappointment. Lower your expectations.

Not sure why you're getting dowin voted for this. The rumor mill always goes into overdrive and what's actually announced doesn't meet the high expectations and people are disappointed. Like you I think it's better to lower expectations and be pleasantly surprised if Apple exceeds them. :)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I hope iOS 6 is a huge update. :) & there's bound to be a few surprised with Mountain Lion - the features they've told us about via the video/website can't be the only new features. Not unless the OS is free.

As for a new iPhone - out of the question. It's been about 9 months since the 4S. Look at the buyers guide.

A new Apple TV set? I think this would warrant it's own event - like the iPad introduction did.

I can see them introducing new Macs though. If they used to have time for OS X, iOS and iPhone news, why not OS X, iOS and Mac news? :)

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Macrumors has an international focus and not US only and it annoys me that you only post the US time for all Apple events (10am Pacific).
Many of your readers will have no idea what Pacific actually refers to.

It would be good if you could at least add Paris or London time for Europe.

Pacific time, in this case, is local time at the event. It's not so much US-focused as it is WWDC-focused. As far as I know, MacRumors has always used local time when listing events like this. Most of them tend to be in California, so probably a good idea to learn where that is.

If MacRumors readers are confused, there's always the ticking countdown, and people can convert it to their own time zone accordingly.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Pleasseee let there be widgets in iOS 6!

It's so odd to me that people find these useful. If incorporated, I hope they are completely optional. :apple:

Also, isn't this year's WWDC presentation supposed to be shorter than the usual ones? I thought i read that somewhere, correct me if i'm wrong.

just my thoughts. Still looking forward to all of the above mentioned!

If you read what I am thinking of, it was that last years was two hours but it went over, it was supposed to be an hour and half as well.

iOS6 is going to be dissapointing...cant even do widgets like android.

Please see my the first quote in this post.

And how can you make such allegations when the system hasn't even been announced yet.

Last edited:

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
The redesign it is needed because people get tired of having the same phone for 2 years+ apple knows that(at least i hope it does) and so do all the other manufactures, the redesign also helps in what you put inside the phone in most cases, i am not saying it is right or wrong i just say this is the way things are.

And that is exactly what is wrong with our society (well, one of the things..). If the phone, or any item for that matter, that you own does what you need it to then you should stick with it. This whole, keeping up with the Jones' thing is, unfortunately human nature, ridiculous.

Would you go any buy a new TV every year? HiFi, car, microwave.. it's just silly and doesn't make any sense.

In my opinion the current design is good and the software works very well. If anything they should leave it as it is and just update the battery.. I'd love a phone that could go a week or more.

hw007

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
51.5799259, -0.2282228
Hi all,

Personally I think that Apple will announce a "new iPhone", reasons for this;

If Apple are announcing iOS6, won't developers need to know dimensions of apps they will be designing.

Now I don't believe Apple would announce iOS6 and fail to mention the size of the screen with all the leaks of the new iPhone that we have been having.

So iOS6 gets announced and so will new iPhone, probable July release

HW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.