Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
thatwendigo said:
Jesus, not the wireless display and/or headless iMac thing again...

I'm not going to waste a lot of time on debunking it for the umpteenth time, but I will point you people somewhere I've already done it. The current market leaders in that technology are charging over $800-1000 just for a screen that's smaller than the current iMacs, and they don't display video while portable.

Apple is brilliant in their application of technology, but this is a developing industry with a LOT of money behind it. If Phillips can't do it all that cheaply, then what in the world makes people think that a brand new piece of technology from Apple is going to suddenly be less expensive?

I think what's causing most of the buzz here is the idea of a flat hangable iMac with a wireless keyboard/mouse...not wireless displays.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
rog said:
Apple should have had the G5 in the iMac when it first came out to increase market share. Given that low end PCs are $400 and run circles around the top G4 iMac, there is no way the iMac or even eMas can compete unless it has a fast G5, and none of this "below 2GHz" BS either. Apple misses another prime opportunity to take the lead in the consumer market.

When has Apple ever been about "market share"? They're about innovation and creating great products, something a $400 PC will never be confused with being...

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Lancetx said:
When has Apple ever been about "market share"? They're about innovation and creating great products, something a $400 PC will never be confused with being...

Amen to that. I'm getting tired of hearing buzzwords like "market share" and "price points" thrown around as if the knowledge of the definition of a word gives someone insight into an industry or company. Anyone that compares a $400 PC to an iMac is jsut someone concerned with the bottom line price and nothing else.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I really doubt we will see a pizza box design, i am thinking more along the lines of a super cool cube like thingy with a display, and ofcourse with a super cool aluminium like enclosure.

Well anyway Go Holland!!!!!!!!!!

DjVoTeZ

PS: only 6 more sleeps.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
arn said:
story updated.

iMac G5 = Hangable?

arn

I don't like this idea. Hangable displays work when you are at a distance. (e.g. a 30" TV that you are sitting 10 feet away from.) but when you are 2 feet away from the screen you are going to need to angle it esp if you have a family environment where someone may be taller then another. Beyond that is the average person REALLY going to put a hole in the wall to mount their computer? Thanks but I've moved my computer desk 3 times in the last 5 years and the last thing I would want is a anchor in the wall where I last placed my iMac. Or lets say that Apple has their own stand that it hangs on. What's the point other then possibly allowing little Billy to more easily knock over the family computer.
Now maybe an iMac in the form of a cinema display where the easel on the back folds out and locks to keep it upright. with maybe another joint for tilting the screen?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Peyote said:
Amen to that. I'm getting tired of hearing buzzwords like "market share" and "price points" thrown around as if the knowledge of the definition of a word gives someone insight into an industry or company. Anyone that compares a $400 PC to an iMac is jsut someone concerned with the bottom line price and nothing else.

No its someone concerned with the future of Apple and their investment in Apple products. Like it or not market share does indeed matter to developers who look at where their wares have the best chance of selling. Over here with 91% of the market or over here at 3-4% and shrinking.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
Remember Folks

Remember folks, wasn't iSight introduced at a developer conference? Also the reason they don't want the keynote broadcasted at an apple store is because they know potential buyers of thier imacs/other products would be smart to wait to see what steve would say. Nevertheless, the likely hood that the keynote will be available on apples website later that day is a good chance. :rolleyes:

Tom800

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2002
I reckon they'll stick some of the innards on the back of the screen (graphics cards, main board, RAM, etc), and keep the drives in a new, shrunken hemisphere. That way it could be easily upgraded and the footprint would be smaller. Imagine a footprint the size of a CD in diameter, all metal, with a slot-loading drive on the front.

You heard it here first.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
The Log-O-Meter says

This is pretty likely. Apple has a habit of coming out with stuff just after I've solved the problem in a less aesthetic way.

iTunes came out right after I finished digitizing my entire collection into .mp2 (doh!). iMovie came out after I finished making video CD's of dozens out hours of tape with a terrible editor. The iPod came out a month after I bought an Archos Jukebox.

And I'm just about finished with making a wireless picure frame for the baby pictures with an old busted-ass laptop and a linux distro. So, the hangable iMac/picture frame must be out on Tuesday.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
vouder17 said:
I really doubt we will see a pizza box design, i am thinking more along the lines of a super cool cube like thingy with a display, and ofcourse with a super cool aluminium like enclosure.

Well anyway Go Holland!!!!!!!!!!

DjVoTeZ

PS: only 6 more sleeps.

Got to go with ya about "Come on Holland!" :D

And, I also go with the aluminium (or aluminum for US...) enclosure.
Maybe this iMac G5 will be end of "consumer whites" :)

Mr. Ive will never stay with one colo(u)r for ever... ;)

Man, just like last year.. I'm getting pretty excited about the WWDC!

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
G5 Pro, iMac not

Repeat after me:
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
ClimbingTheLog said:
This is pretty likely. Apple has a habit of coming out with stuff just after I've solved the problem in a less aesthetic way.

iTunes came out right after I finished digitizing my entire collection into .mp2 (doh!). iMovie came out after I finished making video CD's of dozens out hours of tape with a terrible editor. The iPod came out a month after I bought an Archos Jukebox.

And I'm just about finished with making a wireless picure frame for the baby pictures with an old busted-ass laptop and a linux distro. So, the hangable iMac/picture frame must be out on Tuesday.

:D

LOL!

I don't envy you, mate!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
zedwards said:
Repeat after me:
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not
G5 Pro, iMac not

Now repeat after me, and louder:

DUAL G5 Pro, SINGLE G5 iMac yes

michaelb

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
ClimbingTheLog said:

Your project sounds good though. Did you use a real picture frame to surround the LCD?

I'm using a Cube connected to an 18" LCD on the mantelpiece to cycle through about 20,000 photos loaded into iPhoto. Works well, though I'd like to have it more "blended into the furniture" if possible.

Any chance of a picture?

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
CubaTBird said:
Remember folks, wasn't iSight introduced at a developer conference? Also the reason they don't want the keynote broadcasted at an apple store is because they know potential buyers of thier imacs/other products would be smart to wait to see what steve would say. Nevertheless, the likely hood that the keynote will be available on apples website later that day is a good chance. :rolleyes:

That does not make sense. Doesn't apple have a eight day "return it and get a the new updated product for free" policy?

Anybody who bought a computer, only to find out that Steve had just introduced a new better computer for less, while they were buying it, and was not allowed to return it, would not feel very good and probably would not buy macs in the future.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
afields said:
"pizza box physique"? What is that supposed to mean?

First "Pizza Box" (LC) & Second "Pizza Box" (6100):

Attachments

• apple_mac_lc_475.jpg
    apple_mac_lc_475.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,842
  • 6100.gif
    6100.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,847

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Maybe this is of relevance?

Although I would update it to AL and no pinstripes or anything like that and the legs would be different not one big clear leg to seperate the LCD from the desktop... And instead of the clear back thay could make that AL as well or make it all clear plastic (or not) or even colorful, making it a ORIGINAL LCD iMac (so no)... not that either... :confused:

(I cannot take credit for this)

Attachments

• NewiMacVI.jpg
    NewiMacVI.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 211

James.Paul

macrumors regular
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
I'd go along with the predictions for a G5 iMac and Studio Displays. I think that they are pretty much a certainty. A possible suprise could be the iWrite technology/app? or an update to Appleworks. We haven't heard anything about that iWrite patent for a while. But as it's WWDC we'll also see some releases for the developers. Think Secret are predicting a new release of xCode (1.5). Personally, I am really hoping for a new release of WebObjects. It really does need an interface overhaul and it has been about two years since it had a serious upgrade. It is overdue.

michaelb

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
No broadcast, no iMac?

Am I the only one to point out the obvious here?

I mean, this is the iMac 3 we're talking about.

If Apple is not making the effort to broadcast a STEVENOTE - no satellite feed, no live relays to Apple Stores - then the chances of the iMac 3 being released are much lower.

When it does come, I can see Apple hyping it a bit more than at an unbroadcasted, developers only WWDC. It's not even as if it suits a developer's conference like the pro G5 did.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see some :( and :mad: faces here if the rumors are illfounded and expectations are over high.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
What the... ? I think the part in this roundup that sticks out the most to me is the potential of not being broadcast, I mean, if not to Apple Stores then can we infer not streaming of it at all? If so that's MAJOR BS on their part. Hell, Apple could charge for viewing and myself and many of my Mac geek friends would drop cash, like a pay-per-view, to see it. To us it's an event!

jhillestad

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
Why no broadcast?!?

No telecast of the keynote! what gives? They usually always show this conference at the Apple stores and C-band .

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
MacsRgr8 said:
Got to go with ya about "Come on Holland!" :D

And, I also go with the aluminium (or aluminum for US...) enclosure.
Maybe this iMac G5 will be end of "consumer whites" :)

I don't think so. Reason? Apple needs a distinction between its pro line and consumer line. Having a PowerMac G5 look across the board is going to blurr the two. Now maybe that's intended if they do indeed do such a thing. I've never understood the need for two lines. Why not simply have the Mac line of desktops and laptops and have ones that are powerful top of the line and ones that are slower but cheaper, relatively speaking of course. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.