Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

I've had a lot of fun playing with my M6 and developping/scanning at home. This practice while super fulfilling for certain types of shots has been lacklustre for certain situations, namely moving targets and night photography.

I've had an X-Pro 3 for a while (rangefinder photography is a neat gimmick that I do enjoy and has a purpose in my process) purchasing it before a trip to Japan and flipping it afterwards thinking that the X-Pro 4 was just about to come out (yeah ...).

The camera was super capable although a bit heavy and feature rich (given that I only use 35mm on the M6).

---

Queue the recent announcement for the X100VI which (thankfully) tanked the used price for X100V, a camera that from my assessment will be a perfect companion to the Leica.

I have a pre-order for the X100VI, but seeing the prices on some X100V's I'm forced to ponder as to what the right course of action would be.

If you guys could offer up your take on my predicament.

(I can afford both, but the idea of dodging depreciation would be neat.)

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
The VI has a higher pixel count sensor (40-vs-26) and IBIS over the V, but the same glass. Perhaps better video. Depends on your shooting style. If you value those upgrades then the VI makes sense. I’d probably get the VI if I didn’t have an X100-series body. I used to have an X100f that I loved. Hard to say whether I’d upgrade. Probably, to be honest.

The best digital addition for that M6 would be a nice M11P (or M10 series) :D.

Reactions: Flowstates

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
My best guess is IBIS (and, perhaps, slightly better autofocus) makes it worth the delta. Both directly expand your chances for a hand-held great shot; this isn't a tripod camera.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Anecdotally, the IV has so many pre-orders that it will take four years to fulfill them all (in reality there are probably multiple pre-orders per single person so the actual number will be less, but still substantial). Fujirumors is reporting nearly a half million pre-orders solely in China. I am not sure the price for the V will stay low if the demand is even a fraction for the IV that is reported.

I have the V. It does everything I want it to, but I have multiple other bodies, both digital and film. I do not feel compelled to upgrade for either IBIS or MP. We are going on a major spring break trip next month and it will be my only digital body coming with me, as space is at a premium for packing, and I think it is an excellent camera for travel. Is it the most perfect camera for everything? No, but I prefer a 35mm lens (or FOV in this case) for travel and I cannot beat the size for travel. I still shoot raw, no film sims, and the 24mp size is a sweet spot for me, as I have two Nikon bodies of the same MP size.

If I had neither, I might slightly hold out for the IV just for "future proofing" but people still love even the original X100, and if you happen to find the V at a decent price, I'd probably hop on it, rather than wait forever for the IV. Of course, I was lucky enough to score a new V at a local camera store a year ago, after waiting for just a week or two.

But only you know your use case, your price threshold, and how long you can wait.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
ps - i like to the suggestion of a digital m body in lieu of the fuji if you can swing it. then you can share lenses.

Reactions: r.harris1

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

I've had a lot of fun playing with my M6 and developping/scanning at home. This practice while super fulfilling for certain types of shots has been lacklustre for certain situations, namely moving targets and night photography. […]
With all due respect, M6—in fact, all film M cameras—are not intended for moving targets and night photography. I guess we all Leica owners have gone through this “dilemma”, which in fact is a desire to play with these modern digital toys.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So up to the announcement Fuji could not make enough X100V to keep up with demand. The camera shop I work in would take weeks or months to get a delivery. Then it would only be 1 at a time. They would sell on the day of arrival. It would often rank in first place on our website for searches.

Now I suspect we will have exactly the same issue with the vi. Orders were placed within minutes of the announcement (we here earlier than the public) and still no due date.

I say this because I expect the v to hold its resale value to some extent. Or certainly not to drop as much as some hope.

Personally it’s not for me. Not a fan of fixed lens cameras. I don’t even like primes all that much. I don’t have the need for one.

Good luck to those on the waiting list.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Reports are that they moved production to China for the IV which is supposed to allow for a larger capacity, but I suspect the real answer will be in how many they stockpiled for the initial release.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Thank you for the feedback everyone, I’ll keep an eye on both my preorders and the used market.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
With all due respect, M6—in fact, all film M cameras—are not intended for moving targets and night photography. I guess we all Leica owners have gone through this “dilemma”, which in fact is a desire to play with these modern digital toys.

I did enjoy analysing my process to be extremely deliberate with what I now want to so.

Happy shooting

Reactions: apostolosdt

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hello everyone,

I've had a lot of fun playing with my M6 and developping/scanning at home. This practice while super fulfilling for certain types of shots has been lacklustre for certain situations, namely moving targets and night photography.

I've had an X-Pro 3 for a while (rangefinder photography is a neat gimmick that I do enjoy and has a purpose in my process) purchasing it before a trip to Japan and flipping it afterwards thinking that the X-Pro 4 was just about to come out (yeah ...).

The camera was super capable although a bit heavy and feature rich (given that I only use 35mm on the M6).

---

Queue the recent announcement for the X100VI which (thankfully) tanked the used price for X100V, a camera that from my assessment will be a perfect companion to the Leica.

I have a pre-order for the X100VI, but seeing the prices on some X100V's I'm forced to ponder as to what the right course of action would be.

If you guys could offer up your take on my predicament.

(I can afford both, but the idea of dodging depreciation would be neat.)
Saw this thread and, well, am butting in here even though I am not a Leica user nor a Fuji user.... On the surface it seems to me that the "perfect" companion to a Leica M6 would be....another Leica. ?? Specifically, since this time you're seeking a digital fixed-lens compact, what about the Leica Q2 or Q3?

Yes, either of those would be more expen$ive than the Fuji X100V or X100VI, but there would be significant differences which could make a difference for you. First off, the Fuji 100V or new 100VI are both APS-C rather than full-frame. Is this important to you? What about the sensor? The overall responsiveness of the camera? The options offered in potential focal lengths?

If this new purchase is going to be a compact camera you plan to use frequently, maybe as an EDC (everyday carry) and enjoy for a long time, definitely it is good to weigh all the pros and cons of each offering now before placing an order or making a purchase, and in the end go with what over the long run you decide will really work out best for you regarding your shooting style and your lifestyle.

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
If this new purchase is going to be a compact camera you plan to use frequently, maybe as an EDC (everyday carry) and enjoy for a long time, definitely it is good to weigh all the pros and cons of each offering now before placing an order or making a purchase, and in the end go with what over the long run you decide will really work out best for you regarding your shooting style and your lifestyle.

Thank you for the answer.

I'll be picking up my X100VI in store on the 28th, having been swayed by the in body stabilization ... The newer sensor being a plus ... And the film sims as gimmicky as they are.

As for your comparison with the Q2/3 ... I had initially considered it for the neat charging base, but discounted it after considering the eye watering price, subsequent lock-in within the pricey world of 1st party accessories (not that fuji is not a culprit of the same here) for what as you described it will most likely be my everyday beater (better make it replaceable, who knows).

The size is and weight are a factor, not that they are that different, but from what I can gleam, the profile is much more thicker owing to the faster glass on the Q's.

I'm not quite sure about de depth of the variations between FF/APS-C on fixed lens cameras when the crop is accounted for as it pertains to the lenses.

Reactions: Clix Pix

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you for the answer.

I'll be picking up my X100VI in store on the 28th, having been swayed by the in body stabilization ... The newer sensor being a plus ... And the film sims as gimmicky as they are.

As for your comparison with the Q2/3 ... I had initially considered it for the neat charging base, but discounted it after considering the eye watering price, subsequent lock-in within the pricey world of 1st party accessories (not that fuji is not a culprit of the same here) for what as you described it will most likely be my everyday beater (better make it replaceable, who knows).

The size is and weight are a factor, not that they are that different, but from what I can gleam, the profile is much more thicker owing to the faster glass on the Q's.

I'm not quite sure about de depth of the variations between FF/APS-C on fixed lens cameras when the crop is accounted for as it pertains to the lenses.
i hope you love it!!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just a few disjointed thoughts from me:

The only Fuji I have is an X-T5, which I absolutely love and use all the time, but it's also a bit unusual for me to only have one body for a given system. It also one of the few cameras I've bought new, which again if you knew me you would know how unusual that is(I've quite literally owned hundreds of cameras, and could count on one hand how many of those have been new).

I've looked at buying one of the X100 series Fujis, but even the original X100 sells for enough that it's hard for me to justify that vs. another interchangeable lens X series body.

I will say that I’m guessing the new X100VI has the same sensor as the X-T5, and the sensor is phenomenal.

Reactions: Ish and Flowstates

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
The VI has a higher pixel count sensor (40-vs-26) and IBIS over the V, but the same glass. Perhaps better video. Depends on your shooting style. If you value those upgrades then the VI makes sense. I’d probably get the VI if I didn’t have an X100-series body. I used to have an X100f that I loved. Hard to say whether I’d upgrade. Probably, to be honest.

The best digital addition for that M6 would be a nice M11P (or M10 series) :D.

If I ever find a way to make the purchase fiscally justifiable ... A man can dream.

As suggested above by yourself and @mollyc in posts that I had missed ... it would be the "optimal" state ... Although I'm left to ponder whether lugging something that "valuable" wouldn't end up a hindrance ...

Thinking of the moments left on the table because of second thoughts considering whether the device would be damaged, knowing that 15k+ (vs 1k5-2k) are not "disposable" for me the time being (I know that not everything is to be a write-off, but for the sake of liquidity, perfection has its value).

I had similar thoughts when considering luxury watches purchases (and in a way, all other luxury purchases) ... knowing my own air-headedness and propensity for hitting dreaded door-knobs populating that plateau where the wrist resides. If it enters my conscience for fear of damage, It is that I do not truly own it ... quite the reverse actually.

Thanks for the feed back and the ability to reflect and confirm some of my other choices.

I will say that I’m guessing the new X100VI has the same sensor as the X-T5, and the sensor is phenomenal.

It is my understanding, I'm thrilled to hear that then :)

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Another plus for the Fuji is it is much more "pocketable" than the Q2. While the Q2 is lovely to use, you can't really call it compact. So as an Everyday Carry it loses out to the Fuji.

and a Leica is seldom fiscally justifiable at the time of purchase, though they do hold their value well - relatively.

A note to ponder. Do you zone focus a lot? as the Fuji is focus by wire then zone focussing is going to be more tricky. At least until you get used to it.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
As an X100 owner since the initial release, the only issue I have with it is the 35mm equivalent. The camera feels most at home in an urban setting where reach doesn’t go much beyond 60mm unless you’re shooting pigeons. But 35mm can frequently bee too long. Much to my surprise, my X100V sits in a drawer. Other than for battery cycling, hasn’t been used for over a year. It’s been replaced by a Panasonic GM1 with either a 28mm or 30mm equivalent. Will take a pass on the VI.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I actually prefer 35mm when traveling, and typically that is my only focal length when traveling with minimum gear. I have photos from both Manhattan and the beach that are among my favorites, all taken with a 35mm lens (although not the X100V).

The problem with any fixed length lens is that invariably it will alienate some people and draw others because we all have different prefrences. Plenty of people complain about the Leica Q's focal length of 28mm, so there is not single answer there. For that reason, I absolutely understand why the X and Q series cameras aren't for everyone, because at some point you have to sacrifice something with using only one focal length. But for others, the freedom from carrying around a bunch of gear and having to swap lenses more than makes up for the drawback of a single FOV.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
I'm already feeling the I'm going to have quite a bit of fun, somewhat scared that I'll neglect my film practice in the meanwhile.

Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.