Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I don't understand why you are lost for words when this information identifies your graphics driver as a "Prototype" driver. Why would you be surprised when an issue comes up in a graphical app when using a prototype driver to begin with?

Why don't you download and install the most current stable officially supported OS X driver for that card, assuming one is available, and then see how it goes? Hopefully that would cure your problems and you could go on to enjoy the game. As long as you are not running a stable supported OS X driver release, you cannot fairly expect the game to work properly nor Feral to have tested that configuration never mind support it. That just isn't a fair thing to expect of them.

The beauty of the Apple Macintosh world is standards - both hardware and software. This is what makes things "just work" typically. Mess with that and all bets are off, you know?

Thanks for your input but this over now, sorted out sort of.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
How do you not have a digital copy of the software?

Simple test, if you can resell your game to someone else you own it. If you can't then you don't own a copy.

Steam & Mac App Store don't allow you to resell your copy unlike some other stores. This means if you want to sell the $100 of games you bought to raise some cash you can't if those games are on your Steam or Mac AppStore account.

All stores have positives and negatives, the downside to Steam and MAS is unlike physical copies and other download stores you cannot use the secondhand market either as a buyer or seller.

I think that's what he meant.

Edwin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Simple test, if you can resell your game to someone else you own it. If you can't then you don't own a copy.

Steam & Mac App Store don't allow you to resell your copy unlike some other stores. This means if you want to sell the $100 of games you bought to raise some cash you can't if those games are on your Steam or Mac AppStore account.

All stores have positives and negatives, the downside to Steam and MAS is unlike physical copies and other download stores you cannot use the secondhand market either as a buyer or seller.

I think that's what he meant.

Edwin

That's it, I am rubbish at trying to explain what I mean :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Edwin

Are there any download stores that have a mechanism for buying/selling used games? I'm unaware of any.

I hope one day it becomes "normal" to be able to resell any digital good. It's the reason I usually wait for Steam and MAS sales (well, that and their ubiquity.) Amazon recently received a patent for a mechanism for used ebooks, and even though I disagree that something like that should be patentable, hopefully it's the sign of things going in the right direction.

Even if Steam only allowed you to receive store credit in exchange, that would still be enough for me to be willing to pay more for steam games. I don't think any publisher would agree to something like that, though.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Are there any download stores that have a mechanism for buying/selling used games? I'm unaware of any.

I hope one day it becomes "normal" to be able to resell any digital good. It's the reason I usually wait for Steam and MAS sales (well, that and their ubiquity.) Amazon recently received a patent for a mechanism for used ebooks, and even though I disagree that something like that should be patentable, hopefully it's the sign of things going in the right direction.

Even if Steam only allowed you to receive store credit in exchange, that would still be enough for me to be willing to pay more for steam games. I don't think any publisher would agree to something like that, though.

All download stores that Feral use you can resell your downloaded game (apart from MAS that forces Apple DRM). Just disable all your Mac's using the pre game panel and give the other person the disk image and product key.

But yeah many stores are taking Steams lead (as nobody seems to mind Steam doing that) in making transferring games impossible.

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
All download stores that Feral use you can resell your downloaded game (apart from MAS that forces Apple DRM). Just disable all your Mac's using the pre game panel and give the other person the disk image and product key.

Hadn't thought of that. I'd be wary of being the buyer in this instance, though, as you might get screwed with a CD key that has all its activations enabled. Though I suppose that's no different from the risks buying a disk with a CD key. What really needs to happen is a digital store with a built-in, safe way to transfer licenses to other users.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

But yeah many stores are taking Steams lead (as nobody seems to mind Steam doing that) in making transferring games impossible.

Edwin

Isn't feral using Origin? I don't think they support that?
Also, I do believe that companies have to abide to national laws, which means steam have to change their policy to be able to sell in EU:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/crikey-eu-rules-you-can-resell-downloaded-games/

I know I'm going pretty off topic now, but I feel that the DRM debate is important.
Most gamers now aren't 14 year old kids. They are like me, past 30, with a university degree and a stable income. I like convenience, I buy games where I feel it's convenient. When I face 3rd party DRM and registrations and always online, then I'm backing away. I don't like getting a product that is "lesser", which causes me inconvenience. I skipped Diablo 3 and SimCity, just because of these reasons. I've never thought of selling a game tho :p

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Isn't feral using Origin? I don't think they support that?

All our games on EA Origin are identical to the version you buy direct or on a DVD. The only DRM is the Feral DRM which we designed to be fair and unobtrusive (max 5 activations with the ability to deactivate older Macs, no internet requirement after initial activation).

I have not read all the licensing but I do know is Feral's EA Origin games are not tied down to a user account and are binary identical to all the other stores. So if you don't want to buy a game from Origin because of some internet rumors about DRM I can put that to bed for Feral games at least.

Origin is a store just like many others but the game you buy has nothing added (or taken out) compared to other stores including our own. As always the choice of where you buy your games is up to you, we will just try and give everyone as many choices as possible.

Edwin

Xace

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
The 1.0.1 update is out

But I the update download stalls and finishes with an error.

Is there a standalone update we can download?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Are you talking about the Mac App Store or the Feral updater?

Apple demand complete control over the update process on the Mac App Store so we cannot provide stand alone updaters. For none App Store purchases we have our automated system that should work fine and if you have trouble you can contact us.

Edwin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Update from Feral version not from the Mac App Store.

Update starts, stalls, then finishes with an error.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Please take a screenshot of the error and email it to our support. We can then have a look into your issue.

Edwin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Please take a screenshot of the error and email it to our support. We can then have a look into your issue.

Edwin

I really cannot be bothered with this product anymore, it is more trouble than it worth, sorry.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I really cannot be bothered with this product anymore, it is more trouble than it worth, sorry.

That's OK Washac, that's completely your choice and we respect that. It's unfortunate that unlike thousands of other Mac XCOM players your Mac has more than one strange issue that effected XCOM, if you ever change your mind we are available to offer support.

Edwin

Xace

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Are you talking about the Mac App Store or the Feral updater?

Apple demand complete control over the update process on the Mac App Store so we cannot provide stand alone updaters. For none App Store purchases we have our automated system that should work fine and if you have trouble you can contact us.

Edwin

It has eventually finished updating. It looks like there could be some server overload issues.

In fact I was unable to download the game install file form the browser in the first hand, the download would stall and fail. I had to resort to curl. I followed this instructions:

http://best-mac-tips.com/2012/02/05/resuming-broken-downloads/

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It has eventually finished updating. It looks like there could be some server overload issues.

In fact I was unable to download the game install file form the browser in the first hand, the download would stall and fail. I had to resort to curl. I followed this instructions:

http://best-mac-tips.com/2012/02/05/resuming-broken-downloads/

Thanks for the feedback I will pass on the information to our web team to investigate.

[UPDATE] We found the issue with one of our many servers hosting the patch, we have fixed the issue with that specific server and the patch is running super fast again for all users worldwide.

Edwin

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
It just gets better and better.

I contact Feral using the XCOM game client at start up, I then get a mail back several days later regarding Rome Total War.

Does following the Contact Support button from XCOM not flag up what game the problems are with ?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It just gets better and better.

I contact Feral using the XCOM game client at start up, I then get a mail back several days later regarding Rome Total War.

Does following the Contact Support button from XCOM not flag up what game the problems are with ?

I checked with our support team on your issue specifically. You emailed us on Friday and we replied on Monday morning.

When you use the contact support button the application creates a new email in your default email application to our support email address and enters a custom subject based on the game you are playing. For XCOM it is:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition

However in your case you deleted the subject line and replaced it with:

Subject:
Update does not start

The email content only said the following:

As you removed any mention of what game you were having issues with as we released the Rome patch on Friday our team took an educated guess it was most likely Rome.

That said the instructions are correct and outline the correct thing to do when first encountering a problem using the Feral update system. Our team just had to guess at the game as we did not have anything to go on.

If you haven't done so please try the instructions, if you have any further problems please make sure you don't delete the name of the game from your email subject as it makes it hard for us to tell what game you are having a problem with.

In regards to your issue specifically we did have a few traffic load issues on Friday which were resolved later in the day, since then we have not had other users report any XCOM download/upgrade issues.

Best Regards,

Edwin

Xace

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for the feedback I will pass on the information to our web team to investigate.

[UPDATE] We found the issue with one of our many servers hosting the patch, we have fixed the issue with that specific server and the patch is running super fast again for all users worldwide.

Edwin

It's updated and the 1.0.1 patch seems to have fixed the problems I was having. I could even continue from my last savegame.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It's updated and the 1.0.1 patch seems to have fixed the problems I was having. I could even continue from my last savegame.

Glad to hear it Xace, if you have any problems or questions with any of our games just send our support team an email. :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Any chance this will be on steam soon/ at all?

We don't support Steam right now but we are constantly evaluating potential options and we know Steam is a popular request from many people on the forums.

The future is a long time period so I would not rule anything out or in at this stage. :)

Edwin

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
I am not a big gamer so I am not familiar with Steam. What are Mac XCOM players missing since the game isn't on Steam?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I am not a big gamer so I am not familiar with Steam. What are Mac XCOM players missing since the game isn't on Steam?

Online Cross Platform multiplayer features (current version has Mac/PC support for LAN only) and a free copy of the Mac version if they owned it on PC, that's about it. :)

Single player and achievements are identical on both titles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.