Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think this is what separates Apple from the rest. Remember when the original iPhone was introduced in 2007 and it had a face-detection sensor so the screen would turn off when raised up to the ear? Did any other "smart" phone have that feature? Now every one of them does. Apple cared enough about the user experience to consider this particular interaction. My general feeling is that many of the Android handset makers don't think about this. They simply photo-copy what's out there, and Apple has set the benchmark by which all such smartphones are based.
I'm not sure if any phone before the iPhone had a proximity sensor, but the idea is pretty old. Here's a patent on it that Motorola filed in 1999: https://www.google.com/patents/US6246862
Enter edge-to-edge screens and we have the very issue that you describe — how to hold it without accidental input. iOS has built in palm-detection, but I don't think it's sufficient to meet Apple's standards when removing the side bezels entirely. This is likely why Apple is taking longer to introduce an edge-to-edge display.
Actually Apple has had edge-detection in iOS for quite some time (if I remember correctly it was introduced with the iPad Mini, which had very small bezels on the long edges). I'm sure they (and the Android vendors) will have a solution for bezel-less phones as well.

I like the design of the Xiaomi (note how the display actually has rounded corners, which is a first AFAIK). I just wish it wasn't a giant phablet. The attraction of bezel-less phones for me is to have a nice big display in a small form-factor device ...

Reactions: symphara

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The design doesn't look as special as I thought it would, based on the description. The other tech innovations sound very interesting, however.

But good for them for pushing a new design. It looks like Google is the new Xiaomi. I swear, Pixel in person is nearly indistinguishable from the iPhone except for the hideous backside.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
IMG_0201.JPG
Sharp's AQUOS Crystal was already edgeless since 2014

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
If we're talking purely in terms of design, Apple has been getting lazy and their phones are very out dated. As a design leader in the industry you would think they will push the design more but nope. I'm very disappointed with Apple right now and as a 9 yr. iPhone user I feel the iPhone 6 i mean 7 is an insult to it's loyal users. I really wanted the Note 7 but we all know how that went down. So now I'm waiting to see what the Galaxy S8 is like. The Xiaomi phone looks nice but there is something off about it, maybe it's too big even with no bezels.

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Oh you mean like when it actually works and it's just a gimmick?

I was talking to a kid I know about his phone which has wireless charging. He said it's the slowest possible way to charge the phone and the only reason he used it was because the micro-USB port broke on his phone and he rigged up a USB cable to connect the power wires directly to the wireless charging antenna to charge it faster.

He might not have a phone that supports fast charging. I have one at home and one and work. I honestly don't know what the speed is. When I arrive to either, I throw it on super casually, and it's always at 90 to 100%.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
Few things Im worried about the Chinese copanies:
1. Privacy Privacy Privacy.. Im afraid the communism country's company might try to spy me :(.. Especially after all those state backed hackings
2. Quality control. They release amazing products, but they often skip QC to expedite production and reduce cost
3. Safety measures (battery, electrical, radio emittion, other chemical issue with material)

Until they can somehow prove that they'd fixed these, I wont be using any Chinese computer products...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
"91.3 percent (is display)" so only 8.7% more until perfection.
So nearly there.
In the meantime iPhone SE and 6 and 7 have between 50 and 60% display.
Great.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I don't get it. I don't need an "edge-to-edge" display. Most of us need the edge to get a better grip.
Then you probably won't need the iPhone 8 and any Samsung Galaxy dual edge phones. I don't like edge-to-edge either. Tried it with the Sharp Aquos Crystal and hated the ergonomics.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I find this so funny... if it had an :apple: on it you probably praised it to heaven. Unfortunately Xiaomi is launching it almost a year prior to the 'miraculous iPhone 8'. I'm wondering what they have in store when the iPhone 8 arrives.

Same with Google Pixel. I hear people calling the phone too expensive. Well, to be honest, it delivers the same if not better than the iPhone 7.

People think xiaomi and Huawei don't deliver quality? Get one in your hands, play with it and think again.

At the pace Apple is creating and delivering they already lost this race.

Not only phones but every other category they're involved except finding new ways to squeeze money from existing customers.

I would not have praised it. I would have found it quite ugly, just like the antenna bands on the 6 and 6s. I have plenty of criticisms of Apple products.

This just looks like a sad attention grabbing attempt. Apple is almost never first with anything, they are just the first to get something right enough that people will notice it. Do you remember the LG Prada? Does anyone?

Huawei and Xiaomi will never, ever be household names in the English speaking world. The names aren't pronounceable. Really, just keep dreaming.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
I would not have praised it. I would have found it quite ugly, just like the antenna bands on the 6 and 6s. I have plenty of criticisms of Apple products.

This just looks like a sad attention grabbing attempt. Apple is almost never first with anything, they are just the first to get something right enough that people will notice it. Do you remember the LG Prada? Does anyone?

Huawei and Xiaomi will never, ever be household names in the English speaking world. The names aren't pronounceable. Really, just keep dreaming.

Samsung was pretty difficult as well :/

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
"Junk" company? Dude, they're like the Apple of China.

I see no point in shelling out close to a thousand dollars for flagship devices due to the influx of great devices from Xiaomi and Oppo that cost half.

Apple of China? Not even chinese people themselves are buying that crap.

It was popular at first because they clone, but ever since Xiaomi 3, their magic is essentially gone.

Come with bloated / Broken / slow / slow updated Android with iOS skin on it, and some backdoor in it. Who the heck wants to buy that kind of crap?

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
I don't get it. I don't need an "edge-to-edge" display. Most of us need the edge to get a better grip.

Simple solution for the grip problem is to disable touch on the edge. Main benefit here is visual look and screen and phone size optimization. We can have smaller phone with bigger screen with edge to edge display.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
6.4 screen size! Here I thought my 7 Plus was large enough. I would be interested in testing it. The edge to edge display is the real grabber though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.