Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
z2-vs-s4.jpg

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Can we get a Z2 compact (ok, may be a Z2 "mini" or Z2 "sub") with a 4,3-4,5 inch screen and much wider NA availability? A GPE variant would be nice too.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Ok, after watching some more videos I'm starting to have serious doubts about the Z2 size wise.

Just saw a video comparing its size to the Note 3 and they are both the same height! Man that's too tall for my taste!

I'm debating between this and the G2, just because this one isn't that big. Not too interested in the HTC One 2. I don't see anything interesting in that and it seems it will have the same specs as the G2 (with smaller battery, worst camera, etc).

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Ok, after watching some more videos I'm starting to have serious doubts about the Z2 size wise.

Just saw a video comparing its size to the Note 3 and they are both the same height! Man that's too tall for my taste!

I'm debating between this and the G2, just because this one isn't that big. Not too interested in the HTC One 2. I don't see anything interesting in that and it seems it will have the same specs as the G2 (with smaller battery, worst camera, etc).

I've struck it off my list because of the size as well.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Just letting you know, but it's been rumored for a while that the G3 is launching in May, so I'd wait for that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am still excited about this phone. Despite the size it should be an awesome phone. But i will check one out in person before getting one. I have never had a Sony phone before so trying to get a feel for their UI skin and any quirks with Sony phones.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Agreed.

Absolutely loving everything about it but the size looks huge. They shouldn't have increased the screen size either.

It might just be too large.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
After buying my first XPERIA, the Z Ultra I was impressed with Sony especially with the Build Quality.

I always avoided it because of the poor Display reviews.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I checked out the z1 in store, and honestly, the Note 3 seemed more manageable than that phone. If Sony could round those corners a bit more, include lesser bezel and make the phone less wider, it might be something I will consider.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
How is the S5 the only flagship announcement? All flagships offer near identical specs..The Z2 in fact offers better specs on many fronts..For me the best phone from MWC was the Z2. The details and styling could be much better (bezels?) but then the S5 is not pretty or a departure from the s3/4 design either. Its like giving a note 3 internal spec on a 5.2 form factor with an awesome camera minus the bloat.

Here's a comparison of the 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMfo-Sc3dk4

I didn't mean the S5 was the only flagship. I meant it got the most press out of MWC.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Just watched some new videos showing the front stereo speakers vs the ones on the HTC One and the Z2 wins clearly. So so much better, louder and clearer. I was impressed.

Also saw some pictures taken with the camera and they look very nice.

Love this phone, it has everything, but probably won't buy it because it's too big.

These manufacturers are doing it wrong releasing bigger and bigger phones each year.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Maybe a year ago, I was with the original Xperia Z. I even downloaded the ads for that phone as the Z was on top or near the top of my wishlist a year ago. The Z2 seems to be more of the same from the Z1 but a better screen and typical spec bumps. And Sony is guilty rehashing the same design like Samsung as of late. How many variations of an Xperia Z-series phones do we really need? An Xperia Z2 Compact is probably already in the works. Not a fan of glass covered back. Not a fan of a power button in the center of the right side that can easily be pressed mistakenly.

Now I love Sony. I have used Sony products even longer than Apple and Samsung combined but I find them a bit second-rate when it comes to smartphones. Last year's Z phones had weak speakers. Sony, like Samsung, won't cover the warranty if the phone has water damage even if they market the phone as water resistant. The Sony logo peeled off if you peeled off the screen protection. Ever since they moved their factories to China and Japanese recession, the quality has went down with the once mighty Sony. This isn't the Sony of the 80's and 90's anymore that Steve Jobs idolized and tried to emulate with Apple. It is a Sony that continues to downsize. Other than their PlayStation brand and movie studios, they have been going downhill ever since in most areas.

Sony made good phones when they were still known and merged with Sony Ericsson only because Ericsson was one of the pioneers of mobile tech. The Japanese conglomerate has been playing catchup to the Koreans, many Chinese brands, and Apple which is like the Sony of this generation ever since.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Just watched some new videos showing the front stereo speakers vs the ones on the HTC One and the Z2 wins clearly. So so much better, louder and clearer. I was impressed.

Also saw some pictures taken with the camera and they look very nice.

Love this phone, it has everything, but probably won't buy it because it's too big.

These manufacturers are doing it wrong releasing bigger and bigger phones each year.

Good to hear about the speakers.

I agree with you, it's strange that Sony made this screen bigger. But they also released the excellent Compact. What they need is an inbetween size (or maybe it's just the bezels?).

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I agree with you, it's strange that Sony made this screen bigger. But they also released the excellent Compact. What they need is an inbetween size (or maybe it's just the bezels?).

To be honest, I think the new the Z2 would be easier to use than the Z1.

P1140020.JPG

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Just too bad Sony will go for the biannual flagship releases and the Z2 will feel outdated in six months.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Do the square-ish corners really make the Z2 feel so big in comparison to S5? Looking at the specs, the Z2 is 4,8mm (.02 inch) taller but other than that it is almost the same size.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...5,Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3/phones/8323,8202,7984

But yeah, this is the first time that I'm looking forward to a phone that is not an iPhone. I really hope the size isn't manageable.

True but isn't the S5 already bigger than the S4?

I'm comparing the Z2 to the S4. The S4 feels like the upper limit of what I'd go for.

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
True but isn't the S5 already bigger than the S4?

I'm comparing the Z2 to the S4. The S4 feels like the upper limit of what I'd go for.

Yes that is true. The Z2 is over 10mm taller than the S4. That is a pretty big difference indeed!

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
First video review

This is the first video review I've seen for the device; very tempting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmqiYPP6Q8

Now, if only Anandtech would get around to reviewing it; theirs are my my go-to reviews followed by GSMArena. Before I knew better I would go to The Verge, I now realize how 2nd tier they truly are.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is the first video review I've seen for the device; very tempting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmqiYPP6Q8

Now, if only Anandtech would get around to reviewing it; theirs are my my go-to reviews followed by GSMArena. Before I knew better I would go to The Verge, I now realize how 2nd tier they truly are.

awesome video. I wish they would announce if this is coming to AT&T or not....I want to get some hands on before I would consider the Z2. It would have to be pretty good to make me give up my Note 3.....

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If the leaked specs of the new One today are true then the Z2 is the clear winner from the new top three (S5, One and Z2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.