Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I was thinking that the Z2 and SGS5 may have another problem IMO: having to charge the phone every day through the USB port will be a problem because it has a cover.

In time the USB cover could break easily, don't you think? I would hate to have to take the cover off every day and in 2 years it falls off or whatever.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I was thinking that the Z2 and SGS5 may have another problem IMO: having to charge the phone every day through the USB port will be a problem because it has a cover.

In time the USB cover could break easily, don't you think? I would hate to have to take the cover off every day and in 2 years it falls off or whatever.

The Z2 has the same magnetic docking port found on the Z1 and Z1 Compact so using their dock is an option, though admittedly not perfect as that's more money to spend and likely won't work with a case on it.

The S5 will likely have wireless charging backplates available at some point. People often ask what's the advantage/benefit of wireless charging--this seems to be likely the biggest benefit.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The Z2 has the same magnetic docking port found on the Z1 and Z1 Compact so using their dock is an option, though admittedly not perfect as that's more money to spend and likely won't work with a case on it.

The S5 will likely have wireless charging backplates available at some point. People often ask what's the advantage/benefit of wireless charging--this seems to be likely the biggest benefit.

I put a wireless charging receptor thing into my S4 so didn't even need the whole new back plate.

Assume that would work with the S5 too. Big fan of wireless charging.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Problem might be that wireless charging is too slow IMO.

Never tried it so don't know how much slower it is compared to the traditional microUSB.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Problem might be that wireless charging is too slow IMO.

Never tried it so don't know how much slower it is compared to the traditional microUSB.

You're right it is a little slower. But what I have done is setup the wireless charger on my nightstand and let it charge over night so it is not an issue. My phone is my alarm too so it all works well for me that way......

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The best Android flagship so far.

I love the design, not only is it beautiful, it's waterproof too!

The only weak points are the SoC, Snapdragon 800 is outdated and the storage, it should've been 32/64GB at this point.

For Z3 Sony needs to keep all the great points of Z2 and add the following:

SoC upgraded to Snapgradon 805 or even 810
32/64 Storage
4GB of RAM
Even better camera
Smaller bezels
Keep the screen at 1080p (yes, keep it at 1080p)

It'll be the king Android!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The best Android flagship so far.

I love the design, not only is it beautiful, it's waterproof too!

The only weak points are the SoC, Snapdragon 800 is outdated and the storage, it should've been 32/64GB at this point.

For Z3 Sony needs to keep all the great points of Z2 and add the following:

SoC upgraded to Snapgradon 805 or even 810
32/64 Storage
4GB of RAM
Even better camera
Smaller bezels
Keep the screen at 1080p (yes, keep it at 1080p)

It'll be the king Android!

The Z2 is actually using the Snapdragon 801--not sure what you expect it to run instead considering the 805 supposedly isn't ready yet. Also, what on Earth are you doing on your phone that requires 4 GB of RAM. And even better camera? I'm sorry but you sound like you're just spouting higher specs without any consideration for real world use.

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011

Sony has this "magnetic charging cable", I would (or I am going to) get that. That costs about $20, and no need to open the USB cover every day.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The Z2 is actually using the Snapdragon 801--not sure what you expect it to run instead considering the 805 supposedly isn't ready yet. Also, what on Earth are you doing on your phone that requires 4 GB of RAM. And even better camera? I'm sorry but you sound like you're just spouting higher specs without any consideration for real world use.

tumblr_lyvq47DWd81rn95k2o1_500.gif

801 is just an overclocked 800, nothing new there.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

801 is just an overclocked 800, nothing new there.

Not going to debate the technical differences as it's well beyond my expertise, but both the 801 in the Z2 and the version used in the S5 are incremental upgrades (regardless of how slight) over the 800, and the best available at the moment. Again, what did you expect them to use? Waiting to use the 805 would've delayed release by many months.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Not going to debate the technical differences as it's well beyond my expertise, but both the 801 in the Z2 and the version used in the S5 are incremental upgrades (regardless of how slight) over the 800, and the best available at the moment. Again, what did you expect them to use? Waiting to use the 805 would've delayed release by many months.

I don't blame them for using 801, it's the best thing available so far. But since 805 is so near the release, Z2(and the S5) feels like a transitional device till Z3 comes out and brings a real step up in specs. 64-bit CPU, even more RAM, better GPU, etc...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I find it interesting that on xda by a count of 5 to 1, folks will not upgrade the z1 to the z2. They feel software will carry over to the z1 and the jump in processor, screen, and speakers isn't worth it enough to move to the z2.

Is the z1 that good? :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I find it interesting that on xda by a count of 5 to 1, folks will not upgrade the z1 to the z2. They feel software will carry over to the z1 and the jump in processor, screen, and speakers isn't worth it enough to move to the z2.

I think it's just a similar situation to what we see with all of the recent flagship announcements--incremental improvements over previous year's model. None of them (One, S5, Z2) are significantly different in design or hardware so I don't think many see them as worth an upgrade, especially if you just renewed a contract last year or buy devices at full retail.

Regarding the Z2 specifically, the biggest difference is undoubtedly the screen. All of these flagships ran Snapdragon 600s which were pretty damn snappy and the quality of external speakers varies from individual to individual (i.e. I rarely use mine--usually headphone for music/video and rare speak phone call) so if one doesn't mind the display on the Z1, little reason to change.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

As tbayrgs stated the biggest differences are the improvements in screen and speakers and for me personally, i'm satisfied with both on my Z1. Everything else is almost identical to the Z1.

Would be a decent upgrade for owners of the original Z but personally i'll upgrade when we see 32GB on board storage, New design and a 5.5 screen.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I tried to look at the z1 in my area yesterday but I struck out.

The Sony Store in the mall is closing perhaps probably due to the restructure so they would have to change what they carry.

The local T Mobile store had one on display that no one could connect to wifi or cellular, guess I am not surprised there. And any location in a mall which is basically a kiosk rarely has working units of anything to tell the truth.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I think it's just a similar situation to what we see with all of the recent flagship announcements--incremental improvements over previous year's model. None of them (One, S5, Z2) are significantly different in design or hardware so I don't think many see them as worth an upgrade, especially if you just renewed a contract last year or buy devices at full retail.

Regarding the Z2 specifically, the biggest difference is undoubtedly the screen. All of these flagships ran Snapdragon 600s which were pretty damn snappy and the quality of external speakers varies from individual to individual (i.e. I rarely use mine--usually headphone for music/video and rare speak phone call) so if one doesn't mind the display on the Z1, little reason to change.

Well said.

Even me, on my SGS3, just don't see this new generation that interesting. Yeah, more specs, but I don't really need 3GB RAM, waterproof or an octa core processor on my phone.

Only thing I really want is better battery than my SGS3 offers. The screen, size and camera are fine for me, so I just haven't seen the point in upgrading for a while.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
If it's not too big I'll probably buy it.

It has everything:

- 3GB RAM.
- MicroSD.
- IPS display.
- Huge battery.
- Stereo speakers.
- Clean and simple UI.
- On screen buttons.

It has 3GB RAM because it direly needs it…..an Android deficit. It needs the huge battery because it needs it to power all the resources Android requires to run in the first place. So it is not smarter or better than a comparatively "weaker" Lumia or iPhone. Don't get fooled by specs alone, as that is not the full truth.

Someone said it can be taken into a pool…..rather not. There is a limit upon both time and depth of immersion, so be very careful when you go swimming. It won't die as fast as my Nokia 3210 did years ago, but it is no submarine device either.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It has 3GB RAM because it direly needs it…..an Android deficit. It needs the huge battery because it needs it to power all the resources Android requires to run in the first place. So it is not smarter or better than a comparatively "weaker" Lumia or iPhone. Don't get fooled by specs alone, as that is not the full truth.

Someone said it can be taken into a pool…..rather not. There is a limit upon both time and depth of immersion, so be very careful when you go swimming. It won't die as fast as my Nokia 3210 did years ago, but it is no submarine device either.

Than why is the moto g so successful? Kit Kat can run just fine on lower end hardware...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

And neither are your assertions the full truth either.

You just seem to been whacked with the Android FUD stick.

If Lumia is so well optimised and doesn't need the power why has my Lumia 1520 got a quad core snapdragon 800 processor and 2gb ram. The same specs as many android flagships and it does not feel any more smoother than a nexus device or my previous Note 3.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

My Moto X has 2 GB RAM and runs Kit Kat just fine

And the Z2 is IP58 but for warranty purposes specs out 30 mins continuous immersion up to 1.5m depth, fresh/chlorinated water, no extreme temperatures

In practice though, stuff like this happens

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
My Moto X has 2 GB RAM and runs Kit Kat just fine

And the Z2 is IP58 but for warranty purposes specs out 30 mins continuous immersion up to 1.5m depth, fresh/chlorinated water, no extreme temperatures

In practice though, stuff like this happens

When Android is happy with 2GB RAM, iOS will soar on 1GB and WP8 on 512MB.

Here is what the IP numbers mean. http://sourcetech411.com/2013/04/understanding-the-ip67-rating-for-waterproof-cables-and-connectors/ I know that some Samsungs were IP67 certified, about a year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.